• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Levyne

Banned
I really liked the Oracle pair. 3D would be....probably just ocarina of time, boring opinion >_>. But ask me in a week and I'll proabably have a different answer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished OoT3D's mirrored master quest this weekend. It was an interesting experience, just because out of muscle memory, I kept going the wrong way.

Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands... means that it isn't.
Put a glove on so you won't make your hands dirty.

Put a bracelet on because you wanna look stylish when you lift.

Link, do you even lift?

Noi

I don't like Skyward Sword.
6lTZsra.gif

I like Skyward Sword, but it definitely had way too much filler for it's own good. That, and having the slingshot and bow in the same game when there's only ~8 items.

injurai

Banned
I've asked similiar questions before, but this is a slight varient.

Out of all the PSone/PSP Classics that you can buy on the PS Vita store. Which of these versions if any would you recommend against playing?

PSone Classics
  • Final Fantasy Origins (I & II)
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX

PSP
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

I keep getting side track with play/replay-through of the series. I sort of want to avoid the GBA versions, I'd rather emulate those with translation packs because of the poor audio.

Ideally I would play them all on Vita, but if any of those are sub-par I'll just go ahead and emulate them. I'm totally game for the DS version as well if those are recommended.

Don't play the PS1 versions of 5 or 6. The GBA versions are superior, particularly for 5. If you're a real stickler for the audio, then stick with the virtual console version of FF6.

injurai

Banned
Currently I'm playing 1 on the NES, and was hoping to play as many as possible on my vita.

My plan so far is this I guess. :p

FFI - NES
FFII - NESwPatch
FFIII - NESwPatch/VitaPSP/DS (can't decide)
FFIV - SNES/DS (can't decide)
FFV - SNESwPatch/GBA (can't decide)

FFVI - SNES
FFVII - PSone via Vita
FFVIII - PSone via Vita
FFIX - PSone via Vita
FFX - Vita/PS3 (can't decide lololol)
FFXII - PS2
FFXIII - PS3

Basically, just consider the PS1 versions of 5 and 6 as a last resort. As for FFX, it is cross-play, but not cross-buy. So if you don't mind buying it twice it's fine, lol

injurai

Banned
yo but the bolded ones are the big kickers... I have no clue how to approach those really.

Since I'm playing the originals of the first two, it might be neat to play all the original forms with patches. Then again III was nice in 3D, and I'm sure IV would be as well. I guess I'm looking for a go ahead or stay away when it comes to those. Seems almost everyone says go GBA for V, anyone have success with language patches on the SNES? Cause I'm all about that FF music.

I finally finished Final Fantasy III. My party: Black Mage, White Mage and 2 Warriors (I know, lol). Now I'll just have to wait for the FF X Remaster =D

CorvoSol

yo but the bolded ones are the big kickers... I have no clue how to approach those really.

Since I'm playing the originals of the first two, it might be neat to play all the original forms with patches. Then again III was nice in 3D, and I'm sure IV would be as well. I guess I'm looking for a go ahead or stay away when it comes to those. Seems almost everyone says go GBA for V, anyone have success with language patches on the SNES? Cause I'm all about that FF music.

Final Fantasy 4 depends entirely on what you want.

If you want story and challenge and don't care particularly about graphics, then FF4DS is the definitive version to you. If you want something that looks pretty, though, the PSP version is for you.

Wazzy

Banned
Hoping to beat Bravely Default and Danagan Ronpa before X/X-2 comes out. My life will be over once they're released. :p

I also reached the dreaded Chapter 5 of BD. Focusing on grinding now.

Aeana

I guess this is only semi-related to this thread, but how come there's no Dragon Quest community thread? The series really deserves one.

I've thought about it, too. I mean, I'm only on track to beat my like, 3rd mainline Dragon Quest, but you'd think Aeana would've started one a long time ago.

Dragon Quest threads don't get very many posts. It's not a very popular series here, even if many people do like one or two games from it. I made an appreciation thread a very long time ago, but I am fairly confident that a DQ community thread would not get very many posts. Probably about as many as the Kiseki thread gets, which averages out to about 0.5 posts per week.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dragon Quest threads don't get very many posts. It's not a very popular series here, even if many people do like one or two games from it. I made an appreciation thread a very long time ago, but I am fairly confident that a DQ community thread would not get very many posts. Probably about as many as the Kiseki thread gets, which averages out to about 0.5 posts per week.
I completely forgot the Kiseki thread even existed, to be honest with you.

I do think the DQ thread would get some posts initially, but since not everyone's played the entire series, I'm not entirely sure that people would post in it much after its move to community (or even after the first two weeks after its creation). Even then, I feel like the bulk of the posts would centre around DQ8, DQ9 (whose online is going to be done with when Nintendo shuts down the DS/Wii servers, right?), and the Zenithia trilogy. Not a lot of posts for DQ10, DQ7, and the Erdrick trilogy, I'd assume.

I dunno. While it'd be nice for a place to talk DQ in general to exist, I think the bulk of the conversation would exist in LTTP threads (even then, unless it's DQ8 or DQ9, I don't think LTTP threads for the other games would get a lot of traction based on past DQ threads on GAF) and "what DQ should I play, GAF?" threads.

It's honestly why I didn't bother making a Suikoden Community Thread at all until someone else had made one. I knew the conversation would ultimately stifle in the end since there isn't a lot of stuff to talk about, even if Woven Web was released in 2012 and was a mediocre game.

For those with Orgins, how is the loading between battles? Tempted to use a little bit tax return money on getting it. I've played Dawn of Souls, but I'd like to replay 2 on the big screen. Any big differences?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I do think the DQ thread would get some posts initially, but since not everyone's played the entire series, I'm not entirely sure that people would post in it much after its move to community (or even after the first two weeks after its creation). Even then, I feel like the bulk of the posts would centre around DQ8, DQ9 (whose online is going to be done with when Nintendo shuts down the DS/Wii servers, right?), and the Zenithia trilogy. Not a lot of posts for DQ10, DQ7, and the Erdrick trilogy, I'd assume.

Right now I feel like just making one and then see what happens. Nothing lost if it should die. But against my expectations the SMT anniversary thread made it to 18 pages (eventually), so maybe a DQ thread would do better than we think.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Right now I feel like just making one and then see what happens. Nothing lost if it should die. But against my expectations the SMT anniversary thread made it to 18 pages (eventually), so maybe a DQ thread would do better than we think.
That was an anniversary/playthrough thread, iirc, I think? It's been a while! That was a good thread. By comparison, the SMT community thread barely ever gets bumped.

I guess there's no harm in trying.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, but the SMT community thread kinda has the problem that its most popular subseries has its own community thread. And I think the anniversary thread took posts away from the community thread for a while.

Okay, then I will make a DQ community thread by the end of the week. Anyone have a good banner I could use? And an idea for a subtitle if that's needed?

Aeana

I actually have a thread already made, I just never posted it. It's depressing after a while seeing DQ threads die over and over again.

I actually have a thread already made, I just never posted it. It's depressing after a while seeing DQ threads die over and over again.

I'd contribute but sadly the DQ games have failed to really hook me. 9 was fun at first but that endgame really became a grind, too much of a grind for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If anything, a playthrough thread wouldn't be too bad.

...except the 25th anniversary was, like, in 2011 so it'd be weird to make one right now.

For those with Orgins, how is the loading between battles? Tempted to use a little bit tax return money on getting it. I've played Dawn of Souls, but I'd like to replay 2 on the big screen. Any big differences?
The best version of 1 is Origins, I feel.

2's a tricky one. While I'm in a very small minority who kinda likes it and feels like it gets better with every version released, I feel like it's more palatable on the PSP. What I did was just use a PSP component cable and played it on the TV that way. If you really wanted to try out the Origins version of it, you could, but I wouldn't completely recommend it.

Heropon

Maybe the time has come for me to finally complete DQVI. I bought it but for some reason I only played it for four hours. I blame Ocarina of Time.

CorvoSol

I've only finished "3" DQ games. Dragon Quest 9, which I liked, though I agree the end was a bit shaky and the postgame made me go "NOPE NOPE NOPE." Hunting those Fyggs in general was kind of a pain. DQ3, which was a fun NES game but I remember getting lost and pissed off because of it. And DQM, which remains the greatest Pokemon alternative ever. Oh, 4 technically. I beat DQMJ, too.

I'm currently playing D4. My older brother is a huge fan of DQ games so every once in awhile he tries to get me into them, but the problem I have with DQ games is that I really don't think they're well paced. Or rather, I don't think they've changed their pacing at all since the NES days. DQ 9 dragged on and on and on for hours and hours and hours after I felt the game should've or could've ended, and not in the sense that more stuff was happening, but in the sense that the game sought to prevent things from ever actually happening by making me go out and collect fruit for 20 hours.

I get that modern DQ is supposed to be about the self-contained storylines you come across in every area, and I get that part of my problem with DQ must, inevitably, stem from my not being a huge fan of that structure, but for the love of God that fygg quest was horrible pacing at its finest. DQ4, on the other hand, is mostly just "Walking nowhere: the game" and "Indecipherable fake accent dialogues." I'm only up to chapter 3 but the game's kinda hard to pick up for me for this reason.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lightning Returns and Stick of Truth stopped my DQ7 playthrough.

I'll get back to it after Stick of Truth. I was really enjoying how narrative/quest stuff worked in it until I put it off for LR.

LOL, I remember trying to barter with someone for a used DQ3 cart once because it was like $80, and I wasn't having any of that. That was one of the more difficult haggling I've ever done. I didn't think people would price those so highly, especially since Price Charting doesn't.

Noi

I've only ever beaten DQ1 and 9. DQ4 (DS) I started but put down cause I wasn't enjoying it very much, and 8 I've started and re-started a good three times but can never commit long enough to see the game through to the end. So long!

CorvoSol

I've only ever beaten DQ1 and 9. DQ4 (DS) I started but put down cause I wasn't enjoying it very much, and 8 I've started and re-started a good three times but can never commit long enough to see the game through to the end. So long!

If you can't finish Final Fantasy 7 100% twice in the length of time it takes you to get half way through a Dragon Quest game, it's not long enough.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The older Dragon Quests are not that long. DQIV and DQV both took me around 35 hours (on DS), DQVI 45 hours.The newer ones are a bit longer, but DQ VII is the only one that's really extreme (supposedly, I haven't finished it yet).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
One last push for the LR:FFXIII platinum trophy. Hope I get it tonight. After that I can finally start Tales of Symphonia.

Currently I'm playing 1 on the NES, and was hoping to play as many as possible on my vita.

My plan so far is this I guess. :p

FFI - NES
FFII - NESwPatch
FFIII - NESwPatch/VitaPSP/DS (can't decide)
FFIV - SNES/DS (can't decide)
FFV - SNESwPatch/GBA (can't decide)

FFVI - SNES
FFVII - PSone via Vita
FFVIII - PSone via Vita
FFIX - PSone via Vita
FFX - Vita/PS3 (can't decide lololol)
FFXII - PS2
FFXIII - PS3

I'd recommend the PSP version of FFIV though since it includes TAY (I know it's pretty average, might as well play it)... Plus battle fast forwards.

Ultratech

I've only finished "3" DQ games. Dragon Quest 9, which I liked, though I agree the end was a bit shaky and the postgame made me go "NOPE NOPE NOPE." Hunting those Fyggs in general was kind of a pain. DQ3, which was a fun NES game but I remember getting lost and pissed off because of it. And DQM, which remains the greatest Pokemon alternative ever. Oh, 4 technically. I beat DQMJ, too.

Now go play DQV after that. Do it!

I'd be down for a DQ community thread and I would definitely post in it. I've played quite a few.

Same, though I can understand where discussion could be slowed to crawl after a while.

Wazzy

Banned
Now go play DQV after that. Do it!

Same, though I can understand where discussion could be slowed to crawl after a while.

While it would probably happen(slow down of posts), there's community threads for so many games and yet none for DQ which is such a large franchise. Just seems odd not having one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
26th platinum
Platinumed LRFFXIII
Platinumed the FFXIII trilogy

Feels good, man.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't bother doing it if you don't want to. It's repetitive shit towards the end. They're not a pain to get towards the end. They're just boring.

If you want a tough trophy list, there are many other games with tougher requirements. Skill-based, even.

Feels good, man.
Unlike myself who felt nothing afterwards. It was more like a speck of dust that should get cleaned.

And I'm doing that with Stick of Truth and DKCR2.

When I did the FF13 plat, it felt nice because I realized that the battle system works way better against tougher enemies and the better enemies were-surprise-those that were part of the late postgame. Those are still some of the better enemies in the subseries next to FF13-2's DLC gimmick battles.

For FF13-2, I think I mostly did it because I'd gotten most of them already so why not. So I taped my controller down with a rubber band and something else and watched the game play itself in slot mode while I did something else.

LR was just boring, and it was a pretty easy plat too. Especially since when you're on NG+ and you can get everything done in like 3-4 in-game days with Chronostasis (incl wiping enemies out) and then you could just sleep the rest of the game off. Again, that's boring and pokes one of my biggest pet peeves in video games (heck, LR poked a lot of my personal pet peeves).

Like, when I have someone who 1000G'd Sonic 06, two Gears games, GTA4, etc. in the past (and no longer does it) getting on my butt about why I'm doing LR's plat, then I know that's problematic. It's shit like that that made me stop doing plats for the most part. I stopped Ni no Kuni's cuz Noi and Jucksalbe told me to because I didn't like that game. Same for Xillia 2, too (though it was more "man, I don't like how this game's structured and it sucks that some stuff was taken out of it or superfluous stuff was added in"). The only reason why I did LR's plat was for consistency's sake, really. :/

Whatever. It's done and over with. No more XIII games to work on.

...how am I slowly catching up to you when I don't even play as much as you. :V

Dark_Schala.png

Levyne

Banned
The steam Ys games on nightmare (though those aren't explicitly "Trophies")

I mean, Celceta has them but NG+ makes nightmare a joke,

Hmm

Top Bottom