• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Jucksalbe

Banned
The steam Ys games on nightmare (though those aren't explicitly "Trophies")

Oh, yeah, didn't think of them. Do you have to beat Boss Rush mode for some of them?

I mean, Celceta has them but NG+ makes nightmare a joke,

The huge amount of items you have available makes it pretty easy even without a NG+. But I didn't really look at its trophy list, I just finished the game once and that was it.

Levyne

Banned
Oh, yeah, didn't think of them. Do you have to beat Boss Rush mode for some of them?

Seems like one of them requires beating boss rush on nightmare as every character. On top of the normal nightmare achievements and some bosses where you don't have to win but you get an achievement if you can.

I don't think we will get another 13 game.
At this point the attaching "Final Fantasy 13" to the title drops saves instead of pushing them.

Yeah, I was joking, the "fuck" was being beat out by a similar post haha

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Or are there....?
Shut yo' faaaaaace.

I already committed to not doing the FFX ones because fuck the Chocobo Trainer. I don't even know if I'll even do FFX-2's because I like the game too much.

Are there even any RPGs with mostly skill-based trophies?
I didn't mean just RPGs, of course. I meant in general. RPG trophies are usually kinda grindy, but you're mostly going to get skill-based ones with ARPGs for the most part. Especially if they're combo-based or no-hit based or boss-rush-based. Something like that. Not sure if the Souls games would qualify, but that's certainly up to the eye of the beholder. Maybe the Agarest Senki games depending on how you feel too.

Yeah, the Ys ones on Steam would count. For the most part, I do think some of the combo trophies on various ARPGs would count depending on how difficult/exploit-less the trophies are. If only Resonance of Fate went far enough with it (though, again, it's too bad that when you learn everything, stuff isn't hard to pull off).

It's kinda too bad Xillia 2 went in the same direction as Xillia 1's trophy list, simply because it has a few trophies dedicated to how well you can pull off combos or how you can execute certain attacks and chain them in a row, and there are only three of those such trophies. Too bad. I would have definitely preferred that stuff over the repetitive "do this x amount of times" stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I didn't mean just RPGs, of course. I meant in general. RPG trophies are usually kinda grindy, but you're mostly going to get skill-based ones with ARPGs for the most part. Especially if they're combo-based or no-hit based or boss-rush-based. Something like that. Not sure if the Souls games would qualify, but that's certainly up to the eye of the beholder. Maybe the Agarest Senki games depending on how you feel too.

Outside of RPGs there are some fun ones. Getting the platinum in Wipeout HD and the 100% in Mirror's Edge was a lot of fun.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to play Agarest, though, at all.

Heropon

Shut yo' faaaaaace.

I already committed to not doing the FFX ones because fuck the Chocobo Trainer. I don't even know if I'll even do FFX-2's because I like the game too much.

But that's the easiest part!

I think I won't platinum those games either. Things like completing the bestiary in X-2 means that it's not worth it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dark_Schala.png

Maaaaan.

Then again, I haven't really bought much games last year. I only got 4 plats last year (I used to get 5-10 average per year, last year I just got 4). I gave up on the Xillia plat coz my PS3 died right after that. I might go back for the Beyond: Two Souls platinum when I get it back. Ys and Rayman Legends looked hard to plat (plus Legends has online challenge trophies so...)

I'm planning to really plat FFX even if it looks pretty hard. Not sure about X-2 though coz they nerfed the catnip.

Are there even any RPGs with mostly skill-based trophies?

Star Ocean 4? I know the battle trophies are a pain to get (spend 50 hours using X character)... And it also tests your skill of time and patience from cringeworthy stuff, heh.

The only person I know who 1000G'd it is Seda, props to him for burning 300-400 hours. X(

you people and your platinums. I've had my PS3 since 2008 and I've gotten a grand total of 0. I want X/X-2 to be my first (or Infamous SS) but we shall see if I have the patience.

If it'd let me import my PS2 save, I know I would be well on my way to a FFXHD platinum! Sadly I don't care enough to platinum any game. I beat it, I do any extras and then I'm good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
you people and your platinums. I've had my PS3 since 2008 and I've gotten a grand total of 0. I want X/X-2 to be my first (or Infamous SS) but we shall see if I have the patience.

You need to get the bang for your buck, mang.

you're not a real gamer if you don't have platinums

Preach, bro.

Josh5890

Same here. I've had a PS3 since 2009 and trophies don't really matter to me. I don't see them as dumb, I think they are a neat idea. Trophies just don't make me want to do anything different, especially when my backlog is very heavy.

Levyne

Banned
I can't tell if you realized I was joking and are just responding to a faux-post with another faux-post heavily masked as a serious post, or if you didn't realize, and your post is a serious post.

In any case, I was joking >_>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm sorry. I'm too busy playing video games and having fun to spend my time fighting those awful tortoises to do some heinous money scheme a Nigerian Prince would envy to get my platinum.
Those tortoises were fun, though. :V

Fo' real, if I like a game no matter what system it's on, I'll likely 100% it. There have been a lot of games in the past that I've 100%'d, so... *shrug*

Edit: Ah, to give an example related to the thread, I've 100%'d some FF games so many times, that I know them like the back of my hand. How else would I have done those completionist playthroughs in 2012 for people? That's why I had lamented, when I started FF6's playthrough by popular demand, that I had only played the game through 4 times, some of those playthroughs not being to completion.

When in doubt, I just blame Schala.
I blame someone else, myself.

CorvoSol

I can't tell if you realized I was joking and are just responding to a faux-post with another faux-post heavily masked as a serious post, or if you didn't realize, and your post is a serious post.

In any case, I was joking >_>

I'm just joking, too. It's hard to do that kind of sarcasm where you're intentionally being a dumbass about stuff via text, so I'll take responsibility for the miscommunication on that, haha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Corvo, you know what I'm referring to when I say this: "Man, why can't SE/FF fans just get along for fucking once?"

War never changes.

CorvoSol

Corvo, you know what I'm referring to when I say this: "Man, why can't SE/FF fans just get along for fucking once?"

War never changes.

Kc4vF0N.jpg

Schala: "Final Fantasy? What's become of you? Where is the noble series? The game that took me in as a child and raised me as its own? The good, fun series I once knew? Is the Fabula Nova Crystallis worth all this? Robbing your fans of what's theirs by right? What need could be so great? Toriyama's orders or no, there's no forgiving what we've played."

Corvo: "Schala? Won't you tell me what happened? First you play LR, and now you're sent off to hunt some beasts to platinum it, too? Did something happen in LRyisidia?"

Schala: "No. Nothing."

Corvo: "Then why won't you look at me?"

cue theme of love

Schala: "I-in LR we stole Fun from players who had done no wrong. I've played this darkened trilogy for so long there's no mote of light left in me. Not even in the series' heart."

Corvo: "Final Fantasy is a good series, Schala."

Schala: "Final Fantasy is a waste! A wasteful series that cannot defy bad designs it knows it ought not to follow through with."

Corvo: "Final Fantasy is many things, but it is no waste." *close up on beak* "Not the Final Fantasy that I love." *dramatic pause while music flourishes* "The series is sending you away on aimless fetch quests, isn't it? If anything exciting were to happen you during them, I couldn't . . . !"

Schala: "Aeana will be with me. I'll be fine. It's late. You should play some better games."

Corvo: "Be careful. Try to have fun."

Schala: "Thank you Corvo, but I know what the series has become."

ULTROS!

Schala should be Vanille next time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm not playing FF XIV at the moment, but this means a new version of Battle at the Big Bridge, which is always a good thing. :)

Yet another remix I can add to my collection. Which is going 150+ strong. Still not playing the MMO though. Can't wait to watch the battle though.

I was thinking back about Final Fantasy 2...I don't really know what to think of the leveling system...I mean I've played other RPG's with systems like it...like Grandia for example but I loved it there and don't like it so much in 2. It might be because it seems like it takes awhile to level up spells, too long at times.

Heropon

I was thinking back about Final Fantasy 2...I don't really know what to think of the leveling system...I mean I've played other RPG's with systems like it...like Grandia for example but I loved it there and don't like it so much in 2. It might be because it seems like it takes awhile to level up spells, too long at times.

In Grandia it felt like the player had more control about the skill and elemental levels because each use contributed more or less to their growth (even if the MP growth distribution was random). In FF2 it was totally random and it meant that raising certain stats was a pain. I have bad memories about raising MP for example.

About the skill levels, the hit rate being affected by it in FF2 meant that you pretty much had to waste turns casting useless spells just to level them up (I hate how Esuna works). Meanwhile in Grandia, spells and skills worked from the get-go so levelling them wasn't a chore and it was simply a nice reward for using them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*You know what I think of FF2, so I'll keep my mouth shut, lol.

Real-talk: That FFX-2 HD thread went into argument territory and it's just like... "hey, maybe some people like what you dislike and dislike what you like. Get fucking over it already because everything doesn't have to turn into a thread about FF13 all the time!" Talk about the gaaaames in the OT. >_<

I may not like FFX like a lot of people on GAF do, but I love the worldbuilding and art in that game so much. I love that game's soundtrack (and I even like the Nakano arrangements on the HD remaster soundtrack a lot; by contrast, I feel like the Hamauzu ones are overdone).

And you know how I feel about FFX-2--it's one of the best FF games to me, and it's super-fun to go through.

I haven't played FFX since I was a teenager, so I don't know how I'll feel about it now.

Schala should be Vanille next time.
I don't dislike Vanille, though. Oddly enough.

You should have gone through with it.
Nah.

Ultratech

In Grandia it felt like the player had more control about the skill and elemental levels because each use contributed more or less to their growth (even if the MP growth distribution was random). In FF2 it was totally random and it meant that raising certain stats was a pain. I have bad memories about raising MP for example.

About the skill levels, the hit rate being affected by it in FF2 meant that you pretty much had to waste turns casting useless spells just to level them up (I hate how Esuna works). Meanwhile in Grandia, spells and skills worked from the get-go so levelling them wasn't a chore and it was simply a nice reward for using them.

It's not "totally" random, but RNG was a bit of a pain when it came to actually wanting stats leveled up.

Like for HP/MP, the more HP/MP you used/lost in a battle, the higher the chance that it would go up. Granted, you could use all your MP and still not get it to increase, so it wasn't guaranteed by any means.

Agility was random as hell though since you needed Light Armor to have a lot of it, and you could only realistically raise it by having enemies target you in battle.
(This is why you pretty much HAVE to have a shield on a melee character. It's the only way you're gonna get Evasion, Shield levels, and Agility going up.)

Leveling skills/weapons sucks though, and there's no getting around that.

I will agree with the shitty way Esuna/Basuna was handled though.
Leveling them is a complete pain, and you pretty much have to raise its levels for it to actually do anything useful.
(Petrified? Lv1 Esuna says you're screwed.)

At least with Raise, you could insta-kill Undead with it, and there was no shortage of those guys.

It's basically one of those things where the leveling system sounds so good on paper, but ends up terrible in execution.

I'm actually kinda hyped to play FFX. I only got to play as far as I did because I was borrowing it from a friend, so it'll be nice to actually go through it at my own pace.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm actually kinda hyped to play FFX. I only got to play as far as I did because I was borrowing it from a friend, so it'll be nice to actually go through it at my own pace.
We need to vote for which character Beef will dislike the most in Final Fantasy X.

Also whether or not Beef would like FFX.

We need to vote for which character Beef will dislike the most in Final Fantasy X.

Also whether or not Beef would like FFX.

I don't remember much of the game. I only remember being completely indifferent to Yuna, kinda annoyed by Tidus and Wakka's voice, and despising Blitzball. I also only made it up to the Spherimorph boss fight.

Top Bottom