• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Yeah I found her funny too until I remembered that she's suppose to a chocobo chic that hangs around in Sazh's hair..... and Daij's birthday present.

Fuck you Toriyama.

It was fine until Sazh x Chocolina happened.

Then nothing was ever going to be fine again.

OK yeah, I actually forgot about this.

I just... argh.

Like, I enjoyed XIII-2, and I'm actually enjoying LR now I'm playing it on easy
because wtf is that difficulty level!?!
but they've made a right pig's ear of this story.

I feel like everything we bought into with XIII just got trashed in favour of this Yeul/Time Travel nonsense.... so much potential wasted.

NVM. Time to move on soon XD

CorvoSol

Like I always say, I think XIII-2 would've been much better if it hadn't tried to connect to XIII's story at all. Because the end of XIII-2 winds up invalidating everything you've done for 2 games and that kind of bullshit don't wipe away easily.

CorvoSol

Could someone remind me how did that happen? I'm not replaying that DLC again.

There is only one explanation for all of FF13-2

NDllgvE.gif

Heropon

I wish I was lying but "paradoxes" and "Goddess" are the only explanation you get for, well, everything in that game.

I think the Goddess explanation worked for me at first and I was pretty angry at Etro at the end of XIII-2. Now that some time has passed I can see that all of Etro's flaws were pretty convenient and I only blame the people behind the story instead of a fictional entity.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ugh, it's a stupid story. Just don't take it seriously, it's the easy way to enjoy it. Also it makes the infamous ending a lot more fun.

Somebody said on here, and I agree, that they should have just continued on with the story from XIII. Building a new life on Gran Pulse. There's so much scope in that world with the Fal'cie etc... but... hey ho.

Heropon

Ugh, it's a stupid story. Just don't take it seriously, it's the easy way to enjoy it. Also it makes the infamous ending a lot more fun.

I usually don't take seriously videogame stories but I couldn't help but feel upset about how Etro could be so stupid. I admit that in retrospect it's pretty funny.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Chapter 11 is where the game's pacing and narrative fell off a cliff, though. *shrug* Game overall had poor structure. Just like its development phase.

It's amazing, though, coming out that I think it's the best game out of the three.

I don't remember much of the game. I only remember being completely indifferent to Yuna, kinda annoyed by Tidus and Wakka's voice, and despising Blitzball. I also only made it up to the Spherimorph boss fight.
I vote for Meg Ryan.

How about the queen:
She tries too hard in both languages and it's actually more annoying because she reminds me of someone that I knew in high school who wasn't very nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Okay. D:

I thought I actually missed something for a minute there. Because I at least tried to read up on everything in the FNC to some extent.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well, I don't remember this happening. So unless someone proves me otherwise, I take the stance that it didn't happen. It'd be completely stupid, considering how Sazh treats her in the XIII-2 DLC, but then again with the Lightning trilogy you never know.
I of course didn't play Lightning Returns.....

Heropon

I'm trying to beat Metal Gear Solid 2 before freeing space for my beloved X-2. As an European pleb, playing PS2 games at 60Hz is making these HD collections a gift from the gods.

Levyne

Banned
Blitzball is kind of fun as a pokemon-esqe collection game of sorts, oddly enough. Seeing if a player has a certain move and wanting to get them all.

CorvoSol

But Blitzball is one of my favorite FF minigames... :(

I kind of feel Blitzball is more fun than any minigame in FF9. Vammo Alla Flamenco can be the best song ever in the series but as long as Chocobo Hot and Cold is an awful mess so it will remain.

And Tetra Master is a poor man's Triple Triad.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Over in the X|X-2 remaster thread, there was a mention of the pseudo-canonical Ultimania fact that X-2 is connected to VII, with Shinra being the origin of the Shinra Corporation.

It got me thinking, which other pseudo-canonical story connections are there between FF games? Let's put aside the obvious sequels (Compilation of VII, X series, XIII series)

Final Fantasy IX has a version of Final Fantasy I's Gulug Volcano... does this make the two connected, storywise? I know IX has a lot of easter eggs from previous games, but this strikes me as one of the few revisitied locations.

Do you buy the theory that FFVIII is set a future version of the world in FFIII? I like this piece of fanon more than the implausible Squall is Dead!

XII and Tactics are in the same world as Vagrant Story, yes? What about those Tactics Advance games?

Does anyone else prefer to think that the same Gilgamesh is literally traversing through FF worlds? When he shows up mid-battle in VIII, his line "where is the dimensional interval" implies to us that he is the same character travelling amongst the dimensions. It's definitely different than when, say Ifrit or Mog re-appear, pretty much as new characters.

Guys..... Canon. Continuity. Yessssss....

Noi

Only correction there is that Vagrant Story isn't tied to Final Fantasy Ivalice. Matsuno himself cleared that up on twitter, though I can't be arsed to look for the specific tweet.

And yeah, Gilgamesh is all but confirmed to be the same Gilgamesh in every game thanks to wandering through the void. If anything, his appearance in Dissidia would be the final confirmation needed, since Gilgamesh clearly remembers meeting Bartz, Squall, Zidane and Vaan (the only other people to meet him in person) but they don't remember him (and for the life of me I can't find the cutscene that shows it for the non-5 characters).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even though parts of LR's ending (not the epilogue, the ending) called back to FF7's ending a little bit, I see some folks saying "oh, it's the precursor to FF10"! or something, which is kinda funny to me. Gilgamesh, though, is always gonna be a constant to me. It's just a funny bit that he's traveling to several FF worlds since he seems to recall Buttz and crew.

I dunno. I like seeing the games as they are and as-is.

OH BY THE WAY. Because Jeff Gerstmann tweeted that an SD copy of The Spirits Within was $2.99 on PSN, it got me thinking of the movie.

And then I remembered how CNN had a discussion about Aki Ross in general, and a discussion of how she made Maxim's Hot 100 (and the cover for the magazine) that one time? I ended up digging the latter piece up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGAh3E-14Y.

LOL. "It's Computer-Generated!"

Noi

I've never seen Spirits Within. $2.99 sounds like an alright price to watch it this weekend, seeing how that movie is absurdly hard to find around here. Always been curious to watch Square's biggest mistake.

Seda

Heh, I didn't pay much attention to the story when playing. I honestly don't really remember what she did (I was mostly just clicking through the textboxes).

All I remember is a part when she crawled through poison flowers to get a plant or something for her wyvern.

Top Bottom