• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've never seen Spirits Within. $2.99 sounds like an alright price to watch it this weekend, seeing how that movie is absurdly hard to find around here. Always been curious to watch Square's biggest mistake.
It's a terrible bore. You'll want to see Advent Children instead if you already haven't.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I liked any film or anime Square or SE have put out with the FF name on it.

Didn't like FF Unlimited.
Didn't like the FF5 anime.
Didn't care much for Last Order.
Didn't like Advent Children (complete) and found it boring.
Didn't like The Spirits Within and found it boring (and disappointing considering my age back then)

Uhhh... I think that's everything they've released? tbf, I don't think I liked the Tales anime adaptations or any other video game anime adaptation that much either. It's been a loooong time since I've seen the Fire Emblem OVA, for example.

CorvoSol

This is where we once again disagree.

I'm okay with that. I get that people like FF9's mini games and despise Blitzball, but eh, whatchagonnado.

corvo, are you pooh-poohing chocobo hot&cold

tell me you didn't just pooh-pooh chocobo hotncold

WHERE YOU DIG IS DETERMINED BY YOUR FEET. NOT EVEN WHERE YOUR BEAK IS POINTING.

I thought Square's biggest mistake was FF14 1.0.

Corvo would say that it was Krile, but what does he know.

Krile's head is Square's biggest mistake. On account of it crashing into the world of FF4 was enough to set the events of TAY into motion.

I'll bite.

Why does Corvo hate Krile?

Two reasons: 1) Krile is an author's pet in a way that no character until Genesis and Lightning came along would be. Is Bartz the son of an ace swordsman? Does Krile still beat him? Even though Bartz is good enough to beat other legendary swordsmen and Krile is some little shit who has no magic powers yet?

Is Lenna the character who would do anything for dragons or was that Krile?

Is Syldra the monster Faris has known so well she can understand her every word or is that Krile?

2) Wasn't Bartz the main character? Why the hell am I watching Krile steal the ending?

3) HER HEAD IS HUGE.

Heh, I didn't pay much attention to the story when playing. I honestly don't really remember what she did (I was mostly just clicking through the textboxes).

All I remember is a part when she crawled through poison flowers to get a plant or something for her wyvern.

That's the problem. I mean we already did that. With Lenna. In the first world. Why is Krile doing it now?

Seda

That's the problem. I mean we already did that. With Lenna. In the first world. Why is Krile doing it now?

Wait, did it actually happen twice or did I get my characters mixed up?

>.<

EDIT: Yeah I think I was recalling a Lenna scene. So probably safe to say I don't remember much about Krile at all.

It got me thinking, which other pseudo-canonical story connections are there between FF games?

A Realm Reborn has so many allusions to this...

The existence of the Void (yes, the Void from FFV) in Eorzea makes the interconnecting worlds idea so very probable. Plus, those seasonal events that brought Shantotto and ~the goddess~ to the game. Not mention, the Allagan Empire and the Crystal Tower... Then there are the Ascians and their worship of Zodiark. And, of course, Gilgamesh's inclusion.

FFXIV is chock full of this stuff. It really is in the vein of FFIX in that it's a love-letter to the series and plays with a lot of ideas/concepts and lore in the series as a whole.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've never seen Spirits Within. $2.99 sounds like an alright price to watch it this weekend, seeing how that movie is absurdly hard to find around here. Always been curious to watch Square's biggest mistake.

I thought it was alright when I watched it. But that was ages ago and one of its big draws was the impressive technology behind it, which today probably isn't impressive at all anymore. But I guess it's still good enough to watch once to satisfy your curiosity.
Still, it's a lot better than Advent Children, that movie is just a mess in every way and desperately tries to kill your love for FFVII if you had any.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
And yeah, Gilgamesh is all but confirmed to be the same Gilgamesh in every game thanks to wandering through the void. If anything, his appearance in Dissidia would be the final confirmation needed, since Gilgamesh clearly remembers meeting Bartz, Squall, Zidane and Vaan (the only other people to meet him in person) but they don't remember him (and for the life of me I can't find the cutscene that shows it for the non-5 characters).

Was there ever any doubt? Or do people still cling to the notion every appearance is a different one?

------------------------

Also every FF minigame conceived makes Mario Party Island Tour seem like a big success. FF minigames generally suck. And since they generally were repetitive and full of unfun I don't really care for them.

And yes Krile kinda is the Mary Sue except she doesn't die and the only redeeming factor she had was Galuf. The game shows her basically 1uping everyone the whole game.

Advent Children is pure guilty pleasure, I watched it for the crazy fights, the great soundtrack and just ignored the awful story. Watching it for anything else would be a great failure.

Advent Children is pure guilty pleasure, I watched it for the crazy fights, the great soundtrack and just ignored the awful story. Watching it for anything else would be a great failure.

Yeah, Advent Children always came across as a kind of 2 hour long tech demo to me. Fun for the fights and soundtrack... horrible for everything else.

I don't think I liked any film or anime Square or SE have put out with the FF name on it.

Didn't like FF Unlimited.
Didn't like the FF5 anime.
Didn't care much for Last Order.
Didn't like Advent Children (complete) and found it boring.
Didn't like The Spirits Within and found it boring (and disappointing considering my age back then)

Uhhh... I think that's everything they've released? tbf, I don't think I liked the Tales anime adaptations or any other video game anime adaptation that much either. It's been a loooong time since I've seen the Fire Emblem OVA, for example.

Speaking of the FF 5 anime/Last Order/Advent Children... are any of the FF sequels particularly good? I mean, I liked AC on a purely eye candy level, but beyond that... and you know how I feel about XIII-2/LR.

Speaking of the FF 5 anime/Last Order/Advent Children... are any of the FF sequels particularly good? I mean, I liked AC on a purely eye candy level, but beyond that... and you know how I feel about XIII-2/LR.

I genuinely think that X-2 is a good game. It gets a lot of flack for how campy it is, but beyond that I think the battle system is excellent, the story isn't bad. The biggest error is
Wakka and Lulu
as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, as far as sequels go, I don't think it's a bad effort and I'm looking forward to playing it again in HD.

CorvoSol

Wait, did it actually happen twice or did I get my characters mixed up?

>.<

EDIT: Yeah I think I was recalling a Lenna scene. So probably safe to say I don't remember much about Krile at all.

No, it really did happen twice. In the first world you go to a mountain where Lenna walks through poisonous flowers to get the thing she needs to save the dragon (remember that the dragon is something Lenna loves, since
she chose not to kill it to save her mother's life
), and then again in world 2 or 3 you have Krile do this exact scene. THIS EXACT SCENE.

The problem is they had already set up Bartz, Lenna and Faris as having their own animal buddies, right? Bartz had Boco, Lenna had her Wind Drake, and Faris had Syldra. When Krile comes along she has Mog, and that alone is just fine. BUT ALSO SHE IS A PSYCHIC IN A GAME WITHOUT PSYCHICS WHO CAN SPEAK TO ALL ANIMALS. And having a "friend of all living things" is less great in a game where every character already has an animal buddy. But then they go and make Krile the star of scenes where the cast is talking to their animal buddies. When
Bartz finds out that Boco and Coco are gonna have chicks?
Krile explains what is already obvious to you. When Lenna
jumps from the top of Phoenix Tower to be with the Wind Drake she loved as a mother in its dying moments?
Krile has to interrupt to tell you things you could piece together on your own. When Faris is mad with grief and trying to
run into the ocean to be united with the dying Syldra, who Faris sees as a sister, and who she has spoken to and understopd without words for years?
NOPE SORRY FOR YOUR EMOTIONAL MOMENT BUT IT'S KRILE'S TIME TO STATE THE OBVIOUS.

Basically there is no good thing about Krile's character. It's better to be an inoffensive perfect wife template like Rosa than it is to be the Babylonian scale horror that is Krile.

Advent Children is the greatest 2 hour commercial for Dissidia ever.

PK Gaming

Man, I barely remember anything about Krile

I remember she got the upper-hand against Exdeath once, which was silly

And did she really beat Bartz in a fight? YO FUCK THAT SHIT

CorvoSol

Man, I barely remember anything about Krile

I remember she got the upper-hand against Exdeath once, which was silly

And did she really beat Bartz in a fight? YO FUCK THAT SHIT

Sort of. Bartz shoves her off to the side and then she knocks him off the rooftop with the strength that she has. Which is somehow more than Bartz'. Despite Bartz being a skilled warrior who can handle legendary warriors, arcane demons, and dudes like Gilgamesh. But Krile can knock him down because she's even more powerful than fucking Garland.

Krile could do EVERYTHING better than everyone else. She overshadowed everyone pretty much.

She literally hijacks the ending of the game. Imagine if you beat Final Fantasy 7 and Cait Sith got 90% of the ending to himself.

Guys, I like Tidus.

Your opinion was controversial like, 10 years ago.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's not true.

I think Tidus is a wiener, yet a good narrative device.

Also: FFX-2 is the best sequel, and one of the best FF games. Y'all better recognize.

CorvoSol

That's not true.

Also: FFX-2 is the best sequel, and one of the best FF games. Y'all better recognize.

High School Photograph of Schala.

DPUYU7y.png

I never cared much for X-2. I played it for a bit but I got bored with it rather quickly. I'll try to give it another try, we'll see how it goes.

And Tidus is one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters *insert Schala head shaking*

But you see threads of "worst JRPG characters" or that one a few days ago about which games should have different main characters and he was mentioned a lot. There are tons of Tidus haters out there. More games need main characters that are giant goobers.

CorvoSol

But you see threads of "worst JRPG characters" or that one a few days ago about which games should have different main characters and he was mentioned a lot. There are tons of Tidus haters out there. More games need main characters that are giant goobers.

And there are people who say FFXII was awful because Vaan. These are the people who haven't played the FNC yet and don't know what "bad" actually means yet.

CorvoSol

So had a nice chat on the Twitters about Final Fantasy Tactics and I thought I'd take a moment to reiterate some things that I'm sure I've said in here before but that I find fascinating and a testament to how well written Tactics is.

The impetus for this is that, I guess, Matsuno came out and said
Ramza and the party definitely DO live
so that'll come into play for the rest of it.

By nature, the following is spoilers for Final Fantasy Tactics.

The point I wish to advance to you is that Final Fantasy Tactics is anything but anti-Christian. The crux of this argument is that Ramza Beoulve is in fact Jesus Christ. Now, obviously not every aspect is a 1:1 comparison, but I think that the points line up nicely enough to make a compelling argument.

Point #1: Like Jesus, Ramza fulfilled the messianic prophecies of his people. If you remember, The Zodiac Brave Story required that a hero emerge, gather 12 braves to wield the Zodiac Stones, and do battle with a demon king. By the time Ramza defeats Ultima, he wields the significant number of 13 Zodiac Stones, has gathered wielders, and slays Ultima who, it should be noted, is in the guise of a demon king.

Point #2 is connected to number 1. Ramza, like Jesus, gathers 12 key followers, in addition to others. They are Mustadio, Agrias, Orlandeau, Meliadoul, Rapha, Malach, Beowulf, Reis, Alicia, Lavian, Ladd and Count Orlandeau's adopted son Orran. Other characters may be substituted or treated as the likes of Lazarus, Mary, Martha, etc. These key characters you acquire during the plot (aside from Orran, who in this case is Simon Peter, recording Ramza's life, leaving his works for later generations, and seeing Ramza after his "death".) are Ramza's Zodiac Braves.

Point #3, when Ramza is present the Zodiac Stones perform actual miracles. Not the "turn you into a demon" kind, but actual miracles. Malach is raised from death, Reis is healed of her "sickness," etc.

Point #4, Ramza fights the prevailing religious order of his day and is branded an enemy of it. Jesus spent a lot of time dealing with Pharisees and Saducees and was ultimately marked for death by them. Ramza spends his time fighting the Glabados, and ultimately they try to kill him.

That's all I really have on that side of it, but I'd like to add that after Glabados' lies are exposed to him and after Ramza loses his faith in them, then he sees miracles.

This isn't really meant to be stupid preachy or anything, just that I felt that it would be nice to turn the established interpretation of FFT on its head and show how the game's writing is good enough to allow for entirely opposing interpretations.

PK Gaming

I don't have anything insightful to add but:

Final Fantasy Tactics was amazing. It definitely goes to toe-to-toe with some of the strongest FF titles and comes out on top, imo.

Pity that the sequels could never quite live up to it.

aravuus

And there are people who say FFXII was awful because Vaan. These are the people who haven't played the FNC yet and don't know what "bad" actually means yet.

I think Xenosaga should also always be mentioned when talking about the worst JRPG protagonists.

That's not true.

Upon starting up X for the first time in years yesterday...still pretty much indifferent to Tidus. Perhaps this replay will change my opinion?

I do also really like X-2 both for the gameplay and as a sequel in general.
I found it interesting to see how the whole of Spira (and even Yuna) is trying to deal with the aftermath of the events of X.

Levyne

Banned
I'll give you that. Fei's insistence on dragging the plot out at every possible turn is the reason I put Xenosaga on indefinite hold.

Haha

FFX definitely seems a bit more cutscene heavy than I remember, though I'm not totally offput by it. The expert grid is nice, I think having both Yuna and Lulu with -ra spells early on will be pretty awesome. Still fucking things up with Kimahri, some things never change.

CorvoSol

Fei, would you like to pilot this wicked awesome giant robot and save the world?
>Yes
>HELL YES

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I DON"T WANNA!"

*3 hours of pointless dungeons, stilted dialogue and "ominous foreshadowing" later*

Fei, would like to pilot this wicked awesome giant robot and save the world?

>Yes
>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

"I'll do it, but I'll be sure to bitch about it EVERY TIME I TALK."

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll give you that. Fei's insistence on dragging the plot out at every possible turn is the reason I put Xenosaga on indefinite hold.

That is Xenogears bro.

------------------

Shion remains worst character in existence. Yes even Lightning is a better character.

Top Bottom