• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

aravuus

Fei, would you like to pilot this wicked awesome giant robot and save the world?
>Yes
>HELL YES

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I DON"T WANNA!"

*3 hours of pointless dungeons, stilted dialogue and "ominous foreshadowing" later*

Fei, would like to pilot this wicked awesome giant robot and save the world?

>Yes
>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

"I'll do it, but I'll be sure to bitch about it EVERY TIME I TALK."

Different game but yeah, I agree.

Now that I think about it, none of the Xeno games had very likeable characters in my opinion. Gears was alright aside from Fei iirc, Shion single-handedly ruins Saga and Blade would probably be a ten out of ten in my eyes if Fiora never existed
(or at least not make that fucking Disney death return, it would have eliminated the love triangle bullshit too, two things I hate so so so much)

Awesome stories though, lots of batshit insane twists. Gotta keep my expectations in check when X arrives.

CorvoSol

That is Xenogears bro.

DAMN IT.

Different game but yeah, I agree.

Now that I think about it, none of the Xeno games had very likeable characters in my opinion. Gears was alright aside from Fei iirc, Shion single-handedly ruins Saga and Blade would probably be a ten out of ten in my eyes if Fiora never existed
(or at least not make that fucking Disney death return, it would have eliminated the love triangle bullshit too, two things I hate so so so much)

Awesome stories though, lots of batshit insane twists. Gotta keep my expectations in check when X arrives.

I actually really loved Blade's cast. Shulk was generic but that felt like the entire point of his character. I was fine with
Fiora coming back from the dead
because I'm a sucker for
robot girls
and because it freed Melia up to be with Dunban. Best Girl was still Sharp Shoota Sharla, though.

Playing FFX gives me the impression that FFXIII was Toriyama's attempt at making his own FFX yet impressively managing to make every single aspect inferior.

CorvoSol

Playing FFX gives me the impression that FFXIII was Toriyama's attempt at making his own FFX yet impressively managing to make every single aspect inferior.

Either that or his attempt to make FFVII.

Although actually I feel that a lot of FFXIII is based on inversions of FFIII. Ideally that whole "New Tale of the Crystal" thing could've focused on that.

Ideally FFXIII could've been a magnificent game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Xenoblade is one of Monolith Soft's better games along with BKO.

Though, uh, that doesn't say much since most of their games are poorly-designed. I hated Xenosaga and Xenogears (despite that being a Squaresoft-published game back when they were there). Awful to slog through. I feel like Monolith Soft works better as an art/graphics studio like Level-5. That's honestly their strongest suit, and that's kinda how Nintendo's been using them so far.

My god, Yuna is sooooooooooo boring. And I'm tired of all of Tidus' inner monologues already.
How... can you... not like... her?

Is it... because she talks like this? Because that was the fault... of the dubbing strategy. *looks down*

And I told you before elsewhere: Tidus is a massive wiener and Wakka sucks.

Either that or his attempt to make FFVII.

Although actually I feel that a lot of FFXIII is based on inversions of FFIII. Ideally that whole "New Tale of the Crystal" thing could've focused on that.

Ideally FFXIII could've been a magnificent game.
Oh well. That FF13 postmortem speaks volumes, really. I'm surprised SE hasn't done a postmortem for any game since FF13. I'm massively disappointed with that.

I should clarify a little: SE has done some (ie: rare) postmortem articles in Game Developer before FF13 and they haven't done one since FF13's... embarrassing... one. The TWEWY one is a fascinating read. I would've thought given how popular FF14 seems to be (even among game devs) and how much of a conversation starter that the FF13 games can be, they'd do one, but nope.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef you have to see EVERY cutscene. It's important. Especially the numerous polygonal butt shots in there for some reason.

Guess who the event director was, though.
GPPJNLO.png

Wakka sucks, not because he's a racist, but because he's a simpleton who cracks jokes at the most inopportune times. And he sucks at blitzball. And he has stupid hair. And he's kinda stupid in the sequel too.

Levyne

Banned
Just wish it was a little harder. I've had some tense 0-0 and 1-0 games with the Al Bhed team early on, but I roll over everyone else. It's just boring :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Darnit Schala, why
Butts.

ifUDfoD.png

I haven't played FFX since I was 16, so at that time I didn't think much of it, heh.

Basically, I've only played it twice: once when it came out when I was 13, and once when I was 16. It'd be hilarious going through it now if I played through it like I did FF4.

Butts.

ifUDfoD.png

I haven't played FFX since I was 16, so at that time I didn't think much of it, heh.

Basically, I've only played it twice: once when it came out when I was 13, and once when I was 16. It'd be hilarious going through it now if I played through it like I did FF4.

You're gonna attract the wrong crowd with that vid

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not my fault the event director has a one-track mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Finally completed FF6. Definately my favourite out of 6,7 & 8 which I have played. Onto FF9 next.
I wish I'd felt the same way when I played it.

Hope you like FF9, though. That's one of my favourites.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does anyone have a good idea for a subtitle for the Dragon Quest community thread? The thread should be posted tomorrow if I don't screw up too much.

Noi

From Naoki Yoshida at GDC, reasons why FFXIV 1.0 was a flop:

BjH_BNlCQAAH4Wk.jpg

Considering how SE was like at the time of XIII-XIV 1.0, I'm absolutely not surprised at that first bulletpoint.

should clarify a little: SE has done some (ie: rare) postmortem articles in Game Developer before FF13 and they haven't done one since FF13's... embarrassing... one. The TWEWY one is a fascinating read. I would've thought given how popular FF14 seems to be (even among game devs) and how much of a conversation starter that the FF13 games can be, they'd do one, but nope.

Have a link to that?

CorvoSol

BjH_BNlCQAAH4Wk.jpg

Considering how SE was like at the time of XIII-XIV 1.0, I'm absolutely not surprised at that first bulletpoint.

Unhealthy, obsessed, stupid and lazy are the main points, then?

Yeah that sounds like XIII/XIV.1 SE to me.

Sinople

Surprisingly honest and harsh. Poor Tanaka ;_;

How is FFXIV solo play, btw? Are dungeons solo-able now?
I read your chocobo can participate in fights and is customizable, lol.

Noi

All the dungeons/bigger boss battles are team-based instances, but you can solo-queue to pair up with people who want to do whatever you want to do rather than have to shout for hours trying to get a party going for stuff. Pretty much all of the rest of the content outside of that is solo-able.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Have a link to that?
Oooh, looked around and it looks like Gamasutra has the article reprinted in-full unlike the FF13 article. That's really cool. They included the pictures in the article (like this one) and everything. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132401/postmortem_square_enixs_the_.php. I thought the culture clash, battle system stuff, and the full vocal soundtrack stuff were interesting.

Here I was trying to look it up in ProQuest, lol.

Both of the schools I attended subscribed to Game Developer Magazine, so that's how I ended up reading the magazine for the past near-decade.

All the dungeons/bigger boss battles are team-based instances, but you can solo-queue to pair up with people who want to do whatever you want to do rather than have to shout for hours trying to get a party going for stuff. Pretty much all of the rest of the content outside of that is solo-able.
is that why you want me to play this thing

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want you to play this thing cause its the best thing SE has put out in a long while. :V
The last ok SE games I played were Bravely Default: For the Sequel and Fortune Street.

The last consistent SE games I played were Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 and Kingdom Hearts: Sleepily Giving Birth.

I dunno, man...

Gyromancer don't count cuz it's PopCap+SE.

Noi

would I be playing a bad SE game damn near every single day since last august

I like to think you know me better than that!

plus I told you about liam o brien's wrath, I should be good for game recs forever

Sinople

Thanks.
So it's exactly like WoW. I'll wait for a system similar to FFXI trust magic before trying it then.

Levyne

Banned
XIV really interests me, but I don't have enough time to play all I want to in the time I have available, adding an MMO to the mix just isn't going to work for me at the moment. Maybe the next FF mmo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
XIV really interests me, but I don't have enough time to play all I want to in the time I have available, adding an MMO to the mix just isn't going to work for me at the moment. Maybe the next FF mmo.
Yeah, I'm basically waiting until June (ie: that's when I can afford it anyway), and I'm just going to play it for the trial period. If I don't like it, I don't like it. If I think it's okay, well, that's okay but I won't pay for it since I won't have the time to put into it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played Curtain Call's demo.

It was Theatrhythm with button use, alright (except I'd recommend using the stylus on the field themes).

Top Bottom