• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Xenoblade is one of Monolith Soft's better games along with BKO.

Though, uh, that doesn't say much since most of their games are poorly-designed. I hated Xenosaga and Xenogears (despite that being a Squaresoft-published game back when they were there). Awful to slog through. I feel like Monolith Soft works better as an art/graphics studio like Level-5. That's honestly their strongest suit, and that's kinda how Nintendo's been using them so far.

How... can you... not like... her?

Is it... because she talks like this? Because that was the fault... of the dubbing strategy. *looks down*

And I told you before elsewhere: Tidus is a massive wiener and Wakka sucks.

Oh well. That FF13 postmortem speaks volumes, really. I'm surprised SE hasn't done a postmortem for any game since FF13. I'm massively disappointed with that.

I should clarify a little: SE has done some (ie: rare) postmortem articles in Game Developer before FF13 and they haven't done one since FF13's... embarrassing... one. The TWEWY one is a fascinating read. I would've thought given how popular FF14 seems to be (even among game devs) and how much of a conversation starter that the FF13 games can be, they'd do one, but nope.

I think you answered your own question, lol. The XIII post mortem honestly made the entire production staff come across as utterly incompetent to the point where I'm surprised they weren't at least demoted. I mean, some of their mistakes were so basic it wasn't even funny and you have to wonder how they ever got things done on projects like X. And I'd still argue they haven't learned much in the way of how to handle criticism judging by XIII-2 (the kitchen sink approach) and LR (the "adapt to the West, but completely miss how to avoid design flaws associated with Open World" approach).

Wazzy

Banned
I beat Bravely Default and now I'm working on Dangan Ronpa until my copy of X/X-2 arrives.

While the twist in BD was annoying as hell, I still really enjoyed the story and look forward to the sequel. But I really hope they never do a twist like that ever again.

^ I haven't played BD because I heard the twist was shit, but since this is the second version of the game, you'd think the developers would have changed it. Better fast-forward in battles is nice, but they didn't address the most common complaint of the game, from what I've heard.

Wazzy

Banned
^ I haven't played BD because I heard the twist was shit, but since this is the second version of the game, you'd think the developers would have changed it. Better fast-forward in battles is nice, but they didn't address the most common complaint of the game, from what I've heard.

Honestly, the first 4 chapters are really good. While the last four aren't great(paticularily 5&6) the story and battle system are still enjoyable. It really depends. I didn't like the twist but it wasn't enough to kill my enjoyment.

CorvoSol

So, there it is! We finally have a Dragon Quest community thread:

And especially for Corvo, I made sure that the OP is about as long as your average Dragon Quest game.

Well I guess there's something I need to check out, then, haha.

As to Bravely Default I'm only on Chapter 1. I just did the second fight with Khint. I must be stupid underleveled, though, because I was hella reliant on Friend Summons to get me through the first two fights.

Noi

Chapter 5 was enough to get me to put the game down and I haven't gone back to it yet. Not having much fun in a period where Dark Souls and the like are coming out, I'd rather play something else.

CorvoSol

I've just sort of been side-tracked by Persona. Now that I've finished 3P and 4G (both of which are marvelous games!), I can turn my attention to Bravely Default and other games. Hell, I'm not even done with Pokemon X. SRWZ3 is the last game I should buy until fricking Winter, I hope.

CorvoSol

Which one would you guys suggest I play first: VIII (got it on Steam... I've heard they got some problems for the PC version) or XII (got it on a PS2)?

Oh, that's a hard choice. FF8 is an all time fave, but XII is a really solid game in its own right.

Personally I'd say go with 8. It's quicker to finish, more in line with standard FF protocol, and a really good game. FF12 is chalk-full of content, and it's a great contrast to FF13, but I'd still suggest 8 first.

the ffwiki updated it's pics with some nice art from that SE card game

GC_Golbez.png
GC_Gilgamesh.png

also new scans for TRFF are out. you can play as Barret, Lenna, Gaulf, Edgar , fight Exdeath,CoD, God Kefka, Mr. Chupon and even summon KotR

CorvoSol

GC_Golbez.png
GC_Gilgamesh.png

also new scans for TRFF are out. you can play as Barret, Lenna, Gaulf, Edgar , fight Exdeath,CoD, God Kefka, Mr. Chupon and even summon KotR

Magius do you feel this immense, manly brotherhood welling up in these images?

CorvoSol

It has Type 0 characters. I don't think it will be localized. But if it was! If it was!

Tis a shame Ito is relegated to mobile stuff then back to the darkness of the unknown or is it we are blinded by light that we cannot see him to know what he is working on.

I dunno, I mean, they gave us a Type-0 song in TR1.

I'm finally getting to the area where I stopped when I played the PS2 version (Macalania Woods). FFX is a lot slower than I remember, but I also understand the Sphere Grid a lot more than I did back then. I'm also sending Kimahri through Rikku and Yuna's grids so I can have a secondary, speedy healer.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I got a Vita a week or so ago and I was wondering if Chaos Rings is worth buying off of the PS Mobile section. I heard you basically repeat the same type of format of progression multiple times and wanted to know what everyone else thinks. So thoughts?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm coming away thinking less of FFX as I'm playing it 10 years after the last time I played it.

It does a lot of things that I'm generally not fond of these days! Haha.

I did start FFX-2, though, and maaaan I love that game so much. It's so fast, and ability acquisition feels soooooo good.

I got a Vita a week or so ago and I was wondering if Chaos Rings is worth buying off of the PS Mobile section. I heard you basically repeat the same type of format of progression multiple times and wanted to know what everyone else thinks. So thoughts?
I think the Android/iOS versions work a little better re: loads/etc. But it's basically about five couples who fight in this arena because some dude named THE AGENT told them to. Some of the development is okay, and at the ending of each person's story, you can just go back in and play other people's stories. So yeah, it can get pretty repetitive.

The art direction is alright, and I think Naora was behind that, so it isn't surprising.

I think the Vita version has the option that you can play with either the touch screen or the analog sticks and buttons. In battles you can fight individually, or you can pair up with someone else in battle to use magic. Elements work in an RPS sort of way. Maps are kind of weird, and if you're going through dungeons just know that the blue blocks in puzzles are use for teleportation. Puzzle sections in the game are solved with the touchscreen, but I don't know if it's different on Vita.

I ended up getting it when it was on sale, though. I don't know how much it is on PSM. I think it's okay, but again, I got it on sale with a few other SE games on the store. The sequels are better, imo.

Anybody else insanely hyped over the possibility of Mystic Quest music in Curtain Call?
Yes. I already told you as much elsewhere. :V

Heropon

Between X and X-2, I was more excited about the later thanks to the International version additions, but as I wanted to finish MGS2 (so much crazy stuff happened at the end of the game that I couldn't believe it) before making space to download it I've played X much more and I love it as much as always. I need a bigger Vita memory card so I don't have to juggle between games but they're extremely expensive.

The monster stuff in X-2 seems pretty interesting but those creatures sucking EXP from my girls makes me think about how I can balance their use in the main adventure. I don't want to grind.

I think FFX might be my favorite FF game next to IX. I'll need to beat it first to make my final judgement though (I'm right before Seymour Flux and my goober roommates are watching anime on the tv).

CorvoSol

FF6 is my favorite. 7, 8, and 4 are all really close seconds. I don't have anything against X or XII but I haven't played them nearly as much.

Time was 9 would've unhorsed 7 and 8, and I still think 9's story does, but maaaaan. I dunno about that game's gameplay anymore.

Labadal

The third numbered entry for every console generation up until the PS2 era is my favorite FF game. VI or IX fight for first place (VI probably has a slight edge). FFXII third. FFX and FFVII fight for fourth and fith place. I'd include Tactics, but it isn't a numbered entry.

FF6 is my favorite. 7, 8, and 4 are all really close seconds. I don't have anything against X or XII but I haven't played them nearly as much.

Time was 9 would've unhorsed 7 and 8, and I still think 9's story does, but maaaaan. I dunno about that game's gameplay anymore.

The IX soundtrack is insanely good...that should put it on top just for that.

Heropon

It's tough to say, but I think my favourite games are V and IX. In tier terms it would be:
Top: V IX
High: VI VII X-2 XII
Mid: IVDS, VIII, X
Mid-low: IV
Low: I II III XIII
Bottom: XIII-2

I don't play mmorpgs so even if they seem good I can't talk about them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef, you're killing me.
KuGsj.gif

I ain't posting my tier list, but you can probably guess my bottom tier. It's more that I can't make up my mind. Give me a day or so. Heh. I like FF5, FF3, FF9, and FF10-2 the most, I guess. At this juncture. But there aren't any FF games I outright hate. I think they all have their redeeming qualities somewhat. Even 4 and 6.

My friend Bean wanted to add his list. :V

"8 > 4 (DS) > 6 > Tactics > 4 > 9 > 7 > 12 > 3 (DS) > 10 > 5 (PS1)"

"FF8's the best because of the different ways you can use the Junction system. Don't want to Draw from monsters? Mod cards. Don't want to level up? Enc-None it up or Card enemies. It just works. The end."

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

GC_Golbez.png
GC_Gilgamesh.png

I like the art. Do they have one of Vincent Valentine?

Top Bottom