• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

I'm not a fan of putting the games on a numbered list, but I'm ok with saying which games I feel strongly about/don't really care for. The former would be 1, 5, 7, 10-2, 12 and 14, the latter would be 2, 6, 11 and 13-2. Only spin-offs I've liked are Dissidia, Theatrythm, Crisis Core and Four Heroes of Light.

I did a marathon of the series back when XIII was gonna come out, but had to skip a few games due to lack of time/streaming ability. I've still never been able to finish 2, I only ever made it to Cloud of Darkness in 3 but never actually beat her, and I haven't played 12 since it originally came out. If only 12HD was a real thing...

You better believe it's that time again. After this we move on to Best Girls.

oh yes
tumblr_n1zbc9dp7B1r2rogso2_500.gif

Levyne

Banned
I won't make a list, but I really liked the PS2 entries, I generally enjoy playing through the SNES/GBA ones as well, I will probably never play any of the PS1 entries again, and I am a goofball that enjoyed 8 the most out of those.

4 DS.

Uhhh...

Some of the music was good. Serious talk: I guess the Snow/Yusnaan part of it, since it was nicely-put together and all of the sidequests connected to it kind of meant something.

Yusnaan was one of the better parts of the game, well, until

Friendship punches and "I shall hug you to better health!"

First time through I was like "They can't be serious. THEY CAN'T BE... t... they are! THEY ARE SERIOUS WITH THIS SHIT!"

Come to think of it, most of the main quest stuff was pretty bad. Whether it be
Friendship punches
or
"Let me spell out what this symbolism is in a long, drawn out monologue" (though this very much applies to the sidequests)
in Yusnaan;
"Daddy has a scary face, so I'll just go into a coma"
or
Yeul "I will tell you what you already know for the most part" Paddra
in the Wildlands; Lightning and her
"I have no emotions when it is convenient for the plot"
throughout the game; and the ending. The only thing I really liked was
Chocobo Odin
in The Wildlands. And the sidequests... well, after a while, I just gave up and enjoyed the stupidity/WTF moments. Maybe that's how I should have approached the Main Quests, but it just takes itself so damn seriously.

Bah, but enough of that. I've given up on a Platinum for now, and I'm moving on to FF XII.

Labadal

Saw some actions for many FF soundtracks and decided to bid for them all. In about 8 minutes, I will know if I won the auctions or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good luck!

This will seem funny given my past posts about the soundtrack overall, but FF8 was the first FF soundtrack I imported; second soundtrack I imported overall (Chrono Cross being the first). I always liked the packaging for physical soundtracks, so if there's a soundtrack I really like, sometimes I go out of my way to get the physical edition in general.

Really? I found the soundtrack to be a mess. None of the tracks seemed to fit.
They work better in context I think, but otherwise, there are hits and misses and it isn't consistent overall. LR "PLUS" has some of the street music from Yusnaan and instrumental versions of some vocal stuff, which is a good thing. Plus soundtrack is out on March 26, btw. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/fabula/LRFF13/plus/ (It has the Clash on the Big Bridge theme missing from the soundtrack + the Eternal Wind theme, too).

I guess some neat themes on it are: Evening Return, Death Game, are Mission Infiltration. But no, it's not a soundtrack that I'll keep listening to off and on. It's weird, because I can definitely listen to AC soundtracks no problem, but despite this one taking quite a bit of hints from those soundtracks yet puts on its own style, I -can't-, for some reason. I think a lot of the neater tracks are played within context of a mission, or within the context of a cutscene, but outside of those contexts, they don't work as well if you casually listen to VGM.

I will say that it was neato that the Ending Theme ended with the very first sounds that you hear in Final Fantasy XIII. >.>

With that said, I'm a little disappointed with the credits theme, moreso because it went with older themes for characters who didn't have their themes arranged or changed, and went with new themes for characters who either didn't have a central theme (Hope-- his was essentially the Ark's theme) or got theirs arranged to something better (and honestly, I think Snow's newer theme is his best one). It was pretty inconsistent to me, and I guess I would've liked that either everyone got a new theme or that every theme was somehow integrated into one section of it. I thought FF13-2's was phenomenal by comparison since... well, everything fit together really well and felt so consistent.

Yeah, the whole ending part of the Yusnaan part is kinda dumb, Crimson. Overall, though, Yusnaan was probably the most "organic" place in the whole game. That might not be a high bar, but I can say it for that bit at least.

CorvoSol

I wish everyone wasn't playing FFX. It makes me want to play it and I have waaaaaay too many other games to play. Still in Chapter 1 in Bravely Default.

I wish BD wasn't withholding the cool class like a carrot in front of my face, though. "HEY WE KNOW YOU WANT TO BE A MAGE KNIGHT. HERE IS A MAGE KNIGHT. FIGHT HIM TWICE AND DON'T GET HIS JOB."

Levyne

Banned
I wish everyone wasn't playing FFX. It makes me want to play it and I have waaaaaay too many other games to play. Still in Chapter 1 in Bravely Default.

I wish BD wasn't withholding the cool class like a carrot in front of my face, though. "HEY WE KNOW YOU WANT TO BE A MAGE KNIGHT. HERE IS A MAGE KNIGHT. FIGHT HIM TWICE AND DON'T GET HIS JOB."

I kind of dropped everything to get to FFX, haha. Between X and X-2, I'll play 2 other games I was in the middle of (Dragon Age and Infamous SS), giving my brother a chance to play ToS2 on the PS3.

PK Gaming

I'm in the middle of replaying FFIX to see if it holds up (I just started, and that FUCKER gilgamesh just won all of my cards)

As it stands, my current FF rankings:

FFIX > FFVII > FFVI > FFV > FFX > FFIV > FFXIII-2 > FFVIII > FFXIII > FFXII
(I still need to beat FFI-III, and play FFX-2)

CorvoSol

Pay to Play is great for boosting crit rate.

Well sure, it boosts it by 400%. But I never have any money. The idea of a job class that runs on money is cool, but I don't have any use for it yet, haha. I suppose there's a reason you get it so soon after getting Thief, though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well sure, it boosts it by 400%. But I never have any money. The idea of a job class that runs on money is cool, but I don't have any use for it yet, haha. I suppose there's a reason you get it so soon after getting Thief, though.

I find that getting money in this game is such a chore.

Labadal

I want to do a FFIX replay, but I've played it so many times. If the battle transitions were a bit quicker, playthrough #5 would already have been started. Eyeing FF VIII instead. My least replayed FF alongside FFII and FFIV.
Edit: And FFXIII.

The only one that sounds decent is Evening Return, it sounds like a really calm and melodic tune, it seems like it'd fit in with the older titles...it sounds like a more traditional FF song which is why I like it. The others are okay...but I always found the soundtrack to the XIII trilogy to be the weakest part of it easily.

EDIT: Annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm playing X-2 and I find myself wanting to roll my eyes or just groan during the many clothing changes and general silliness but the battle system is...kinda fun. Hectic but...fun? Dare I say I agree with Schala?

No.

Not a fan of the music though, alas, I find it largely forgettable so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always found the soundtrack to the XIII trilogy to be the weakest part of it easily.
Acquired taste. A few of those sound like Uematsu's current stuff, tbh, now that he's recently let his hair down.

EDIT: Annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm playing X-2 and I find myself wanting to roll my eyes or just groan during the many clothing changes and general silliness but the battle system is...kinda fun. Hectic but...fun? Dare I say I agree with Schala?

Not a fan of the music though, alas, I find it largely forgettable so far.
Acquired taste. I should note that one of the composers (Matsueda) left the industry partially because people were vehemently against it. Both left Square Enix shortly after. But it had a happy ending! Eguchi joined SEGA and he's composing for Sonic Team games and other stuff. And Matsueda and Eguchi got married in 2009. :)

The game is super-fun. Learning stuff real quick, etc.

Are you serious? Blitzball... of all the stupid mini games ever to be invented this one has to be the worst by far.

Alright, I am going to eat my hat. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD is freaking awesome.

Blitzball still sucks though.

To give you an idea of where I come from in the long list of FF games. 9 is my all time favorite and I really like the idea of classic castle design with steampunk so 6 is wicked awesome as well. But for some reason my second play through of 10 I am a little more open minded than before and it is enjoyable as hell right now.

I've played enough Blitzball to get Wakka's Attack Reels, but I'm dreading having to play it again for his Ultimate Weapon later on. On the plus side, god damn does he hit like a truck. I might send him through Auron's Grid for more of dat damage.

Levyne

Banned
I've played enough Blitzball to get Wakka's Attack Reels, but I'm dreading having to play it again for his Ultimate Weapon later on. On the plus side, god damn does he hit like a truck. I might send him through Auron's Grid for more of dat damage.

IIRC, Wakka's grid actually has more damage nodes. I might be wrong though.

For the Status Reels, if the league currently available doesn't have it, you can reset data so that you don't have to chew through meaningless games. Also, if you have a high point lead in the league, you can put some bum in the net and forfeit later games once you're behind to make things go quicker.

I don't dislike blitzball and I was doing this by the end of it all. Way too much blitzball for these things :(

CorvoSol

You should really just not get people's ultimate weapons, Beef. Just get the summons and you're gold. There's no reason to put yourself through lightning dodging or chocobo racing for that.

ST2K

Quick question, what's the best version of Final Fantasy V to play now? GBA? PSN?
Terrible mobile version?

IIRC, Wakka's grid actually has more damage nodes. I might be wrong though.

For the Status Reels, if the league currently available doesn't have it, you can reset data so that you don't have to chew through meaningless games. Also, if you have a high point lead in the league, you can put some bum in the net and forfeit later games once you're behind to make things go quicker.

I don't dislike blitzball and I was doing this by the end of it all. Way too much blitzball for these things :(
Nah, I'm fine with Attack Reels lol.
You should really just not get people's ultimate weapons, Beef. Just get the summons and you're gold. There's no reason to put yourself through lightning dodging or chocobo racing for that.
But I don't like Yuna. In fact, one of the reasons why I'm sending Kimahri through Yuna's grid is because he'll be a faster, more useful Yuna. I only use her for bosses!

CorvoSol

Nah, I'm fine with Attack Reels lol.

But I don't like Yuna. In fact, one of the reasons why I'm sending Kimahri through Yuna's grid is because he'll be a faster, more useful Yuna. I only use her for bosses!

Right, but Yuna is all you need for bosses. The last summon the game gives you is pretty solid, but if you get some of the bonus summons you can eat the final boss alive and it saves you the trouble of having to try to dodge 500 lightning bolts to get a final weapon.

Heck, I think penultimate weapons are probably good enough. Anything to spare you from that chocobo race where your finish time has to be below 0 to win.

Right, but Yuna is all you need for bosses. The last summon the game gives you is pretty solid, but if you get some of the bonus summons you can eat the final boss alive and it saves you the trouble of having to try to dodge 500 lightning bolts to get a final weapon.

Heck, I think penultimate weapons are probably good enough. Anything to spare you from that chocobo race where your finish time has to be below 0 to win.

I already beat that Chocobo Race. Only took about 15-20 minutes, and I was busy grinding in the Calm Plains anyways.

What. Can somebody confirm that something was changed, then? Cuz back in the day that race was a nightmare scenario. So many seagulls.

There were a lot of seagulls, yeah. But I got lucky one race with how many balloons were generated. I would've had it sooner, but I didn't know you could run so close to the edge at the end, and I got 0.00.04 =(

Top Bottom