• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

I did the chocobo race on my first attempt when replaying it for the before-mentioned marathon a few years ago. It's not that nightmarish.

Why was it terrible? Load times?

Huge load times, terrible translations (with Wyvern > Y-Burn being the most infamous) and tons of bugs that can easilly lead to your saves getting wiped. Still, personally, a version of FF5 is still better than no FF5, so I'd still play it if its the only one available to you.

CorvoSol

Can't say I feel strongly either way if he gets saved or whatever. Yuna deserves her happy ending.

Everything after X-2 though? I'm not so sure about that...

X-3 is gonna tie the game to FF13 in a more direct way than Dissidia tied all games to FF1.

Well I noticed as my enjoyment of X increased my hatred of XIII dramatically increased (and I don't really think it's as awful as some people say). Probably because XIII is a shitty attempt at being X and SE gets all excited over Lightning being a female lead when Yuna is a better character in literally every way imaginable.

I'm definitely been inspired to go replay IX or VIII some time this summer when possible. That FF magic is infectious.

CorvoSol

It isn't supposed to undo it. You're supposed to keep those feelings and get angry at what you see in 10-2. A lot of people seem to miss that everything that seems wrong to them in 10-2 was specifically designed to elicit that reaction.

Edit: oh I guess you could be talking about the ending. Eh. You really have to work to get that ending, and most people won't get it on their first play anyway.

I just meant the ending but I can't really say because circumstances have prevented me from ever getting to play X-2.

Levyne

Banned
I just meant the ending but I can't really say because circumstances have prevented me from ever getting to play X-2.

Hopefully you get to play it some day. It's really fun and different. Feels like a significant degree of player agency compared to most FF games. (At least relatively so)

CorvoSol

Hopefully you get to play it some day. It's really fun and different. Feels like a significant degree of player agency compared to most FF games. (At least relatively so)

Everyone I know who has played it says it has a great combat system. My little bro probably bought it for his Vita so I'll steal it this Summer, probably.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
13-3 is full of references,kind of like 9,but far not as good.
The difference is that 9 seamlessly integrated a lot of its references cohesively and was built from the ground-up as an homage type of game. LR seemed to be a mix of everything to try to please everyone and ended up being an incoherent mess by comparison.

I thought Kagari said LR bombed, though? 13-2 was in bargain bin almost over night it felt like.
wait for goty edition with free tomb raider costume

Noi

Gonna check if CDJapan has it.

CDJapan should have it, yeah. If you get one of those in-game minion codes from a first print run copy, there's a certain someone around here who might want it.

54RvrpR.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
CDJapan should have it, yeah. If you get one of those in-game minion codes from a first print run copy, there's a certain someone around here who might want it.

54RvrpR.gif

Oh you? Since I will be ordering right now and if I get one I shall give it to you.

Edit: Looks like First press run is sold out though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pfft some Gilgamesh fan.

You know when I first heard this version I thought: if Magius had a theme when ever he would come into a thread asking about Gilgameh, then this would be it. hehe

I much prefer the Bulk and Skull theme from the original Power Rangers. Unlike LR, I actually like XIV: ARR's music so I can't justify a purchase for music I mostly detest.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought the Clash on the Big Bridge and Terra's Theme renditions in LR were pretty fun, though. They fit in really well.

See, I told you that Yusnaan was the best place.

Diablos

Looking for some suggestions...

I just got an iPhone. I want to buy a FF but I don't know which one to get.

I played through the prologue of Dimensions and really liked it. Does the rest hold up? I am really impressed by how true to form (that is to say, the SNES FF's) it is and the concept of the story/world(s) seems really intriguing. That said, I'm still interested in FFV and VI as well. I just don't know which one to buy. What's the verdict around here on Dimensions? And airbrushed Terra aside, how is VI compared to V?

And then there are of course the 3D ones. III and IV both look great. I've wanted to play III since it came out for DS, but the IV remake looks superb as well. Really torn.

Help steer me in the right direction. I am only buying one for the time being. Not interested in any other ones (especially Tactics as I hear the controls are horrible for iPhone).

Wazzy

Banned
Trying to beat the first round of Blitzball, I almost had it and then they tied it with 5 seconds left and then beat me in overtime.

Also, does Wakka always get called out? or if I'm winning throughout does Tidus stay?

Edit: nvm apparently it happens no matter what.

I played through the prologue of Dimensions and really liked it. Does the rest hold up? I am really impressed by how true to form (that is to say, the SNES FF's) it is and the concept of the story/world(s) seems really intriguing. That said, I'm still interested in FFV and VI as well. I just don't know which one to buy. What's the verdict around here on Dimensions? And airbrushed Terra aside, how is VI compared to V?

And then there are of course the 3D ones. III and IV both look great. I've wanted to play III since it came out for DS, but the IV remake looks superb as well. Really torn.

Help steer me in the right direction. I am only buying one for the time being. Not interested in any other ones (especially Tactics as I hear the controls are horrible for iPhone).

I think Tactics is fine on the iphone. It's also one of the best FF's so I would really push for you to try it.

Otherwise I'd say go for V. I haven't tried VI mobile and don't plan to.

CorvoSol

I just need reasons to!

Get onboard, then.

I played through the prologue of Dimensions and really liked it. Does the rest hold up? I am really impressed by how true to form (that is to say, the SNES FF's) it is and the concept of the story/world(s) seems really intriguing.

Yes and no. What you see in FFD is exactly what you get. It's a challenging FFV-type game divided into two sides. So you have two teams (8 main characters total) that you have to build up, run through job classes, buy equipment for and guide through the two sides of the quest. If you enjoyed FF5, then FFD is your kind of game. The translation is fairly witty at times with lots of FF5esque goofy moments balanced out by a quest to gather crystal shards, fight an evil empire and restore balance to the world.

The game's flaw, though, is that it sort of staggers progress. It takes the whole "do a dungeon, get to next town, do not advance game until you can buy everything in new town" very literally. So there are about 2-3 towns and 2-3 dungeons per chapter and you will be more or less forced by the difficulty to stop each time, grind for cash and xp until you can afford the new town's magic and equipment, then go through the dungeon and get to the next town where you will repeat the process. If that doesn't bother you, then the game will be absolutely fine.

I don't play games on my phone very often so I'm onl part way through the game, but it's not bad. The set up kind of makes it a slog at times, but on the other hand, it lends itself well to mobile gaming since you can just boot up the game, play a few fights on the world map before class starts, save/quicksave, then leave it be till next time.

Touch controls are sort of iffy, but compared to some emulators I've tried on Android they're fairly well implemented, or as well implemented as you might expect.

Get onboard, then.

Yes and no. What you see in FFD is exactly what you get. It's a challenging FFV-type game divided into two sides. So you have two teams (8 main characters total) that you have to build up, run through job classes, buy equipment for and guide through the two sides of the quest. If you enjoyed FF5, then FFD is your kind of game. The translation is fairly witty at times with lots of FF5esque goofy moments balanced out by a quest to gather crystal shards, fight an evil empire and restore balance to the world.

The game's flaw, though, is that it sort of staggers progress. It takes the whole "do a dungeon, get to next town, do not advance game until you can buy everything in new town" very literally. So there are about 2-3 towns and 2-3 dungeons per chapter and you will be more or less forced by the difficulty to stop each time, grind for cash and xp until you can afford the new town's magic and equipment, then go through the dungeon and get to the next town where you will repeat the process. If that doesn't bother you, then the game will be absolutely fine.

I don't play games on my phone very often so I'm onl part way through the game, but it's not bad. The set up kind of makes it a slog at times, but on the other hand, it lends itself well to mobile gaming since you can just boot up the game, play a few fights on the world map before class starts, save/quicksave, then leave it be till next time.

Touch controls are sort of iffy, but compared to some emulators I've tried on Android they're fairly well implemented, or as well implemented as you might expect.

I made a tweet darnit...now I just need to figure out what should I do next.

Top Bottom