• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Diablos

I think Tactics is fine on the iphone. It's also one of the best FF's so I would really push for you to try it.

Otherwise I'd say go for V. I haven't tried VI mobile and don't plan to.
I've played Tactics several times, as it is my second-fav FF. I still have the PSX disc. :p
What's keeping you from getting VI?

Yes and no. What you see in FFD is exactly what you get. It's a challenging FFV-type game divided into two sides. So you have two teams (8 main characters total) that you have to build up, run through job classes, buy equipment for and guide through the two sides of the quest. If you enjoyed FF5, then FFD is your kind of game. The translation is fairly witty at times with lots of FF5esque goofy moments balanced out by a quest to gather crystal shards, fight an evil empire and restore balance to the world.

The game's flaw, though, is that it sort of staggers progress. It takes the whole "do a dungeon, get to next town, do not advance game until you can buy everything in new town" very literally. So there are about 2-3 towns and 2-3 dungeons per chapter and you will be more or less forced by the difficulty to stop each time, grind for cash and xp until you can afford the new town's magic and equipment, then go through the dungeon and get to the next town where you will repeat the process. If that doesn't bother you, then the game will be absolutely fine.
Ah, so it is very structured. Hmm. I liked the Prologue well enough but not sure if that was a good representation of the final product.

I don't play games on my phone very often so I'm onl part way through the game, but it's not bad. The set up kind of makes it a slog at times, but on the other hand, it lends itself well to mobile gaming since you can just boot up the game, play a few fights on the world map before class starts, save/quicksave, then leave it be till next time.
Yeah, I liked that as well. But... seeing as how it IS a mobile game I might be better served buying another FF. Hmm. I know it's classic FF at the end of the day, but if it is a slog end to end then I don't know if I could play that on my phone. Haha.

What about FFIII and IV?

Also I can't believe how expensive these games are. Geeeeeeeez.

CorvoSol

I mean, FFD isn't that bad. It plays a lot like FF5. Like, almost basically identically to FF5. And since FF5 had the best gameplay of the 3 SNES FFs that's to FFD's credit. The game's problem is just that while it plays like a great SNES RPG, it's paced like an NES FF.

Wazzy

Banned
I've played Tactics several times, as it is my second-fav FF. I still have the PSX disc. :p
What's keeping you from getting VI?

Ohhhhhh so you already played Tactics. Okay, well you've already played one of the best. :D

I find the graphics to be hideous on mobile. I'm already not a huge mobile gamer but there's nothing appealing about that remake.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ok I think I'm done with LR: FFXIII, I did most of the things I expected to do, except for Aeronite and the last boss in the Ultimate lair, they seem really stressing bosses and after 60hrs I had enough of this game.

Next is Final Fantasy X HD, a game I already played but it was so long ago and I forgot most of it. Can't wait ^^

Raitningz

Ok I think I'm done with LR: FFXIII, I did most of the things I expected to do, except for Aeronite and the last boss in the Ultimate lair, they seem really stressing bosses and after 60hrs I had enough of this game.

Next is Final Fantasy X HD, a game I already played but it was so long ago and I forgot most of it. Can't wait ^^

Well, you ain't missing much, they're just random optional bosses with hardly any lore behind them :p

Mr. RHC

I had enough of this game.

At last, what are your final thoughts on the game?

Anyways, you are in for a treat, FFX is one of the better Final Fantasy games, as you know.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
At last, what are your final thoughts on the game?

I answered you on twitter, but I can write it here again. The game is solid enough but there are few things that could've been done better, definitely a 7 out 10 game. It's good if you compare it to other spinoffs the series got, obviously when compared to real main entries (being it XIII, ARR, XII or X) it fails to convince. But again, it was not supposed to be the next FF in the line, just a filler while waiting for FF15.

Anyways, you are in for a treat, FFX is one of the better Final Fantasy games, as you know.

When I was young I really disliked FFX, it was that first title that made me lose interest in the series and abandon it for few years. It was only when XIII was announced that my passion for the series born again. I'm sure today I'll like X way more than before with this HD remaster. Hamauzu, Naora, Toriyama and few other staff members/gameplay elements are today making me more interested than before in replaying it.

So I'm thinking FFX might actually have my favorite story in the series. It's surprisingly completely comprehensible and understandable even though on the outside the plot looks batshit crazy (
your dad is an effectively immortal giant whale monster
). It might be the only FF where (at least in my opinion) where there aren't any dud characters either. Of course it helps that they all have pretty simple motivations for their actions and don't need big complicated backstories. They all do an excellent job filling the role that has been assigned to them.

I also think Tidus is a fantastic protagonist. Even though he's clearly a pampered sports star that's a little selfish with little comprehension of just how terrible it would be to live in Spira, he never becomes annoying. And then he goes through some of the most dramatic character growth in the series to
accept his death by killing Sin without hesitation.
Not to mention his father issues, which didn't have anything deep behind them other than Jecht was just flat out a shitty father. Made him (Tidus) more understandable in my opinion.

Also god damn when this theme came on during the ending scene, that whole part was so fucking great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like some of the mechanics FFX introduces, but the story and VAs being laughably awful hurts the game as a whole in my eyes.
I think FFX is way too slow at this point. I was talking to Bean and Noi about it and I had a few choice words.

I remember going through the sphere grid the other day and muttering to myself that this was "dumb". I hate being drip-fed stats like this. I didn't like that in FF13 and I don't like it now. I think I whined about it to Bean a little bit, and put the game down and played DKC:TF instead. :V

I like a lot of the narrative themes in FFX a lot, and I like part of the soundtrack (and I do think the Nakano arrangements are really good in context; better than the Hamauzu ones), but I find myself enjoying the game even less than I did when I was 16, lol.

I like some of the mechanics FFX introduces, but the story and VAs being laughably awful hurts the game as a whole in my eyes.
opinion on tidus pls

CorvoSol

Yeah Yuna's VA was really, really not on top of her game back then. I remember starting the game up this summer and being like "Wow I don't remember it being this bad."

I am on some sort of Final Fantasy kick lately. Got X/X-2 on the Vita and started playing XIV. I wonder what has gotten in to me?

I noticed that it is possible to play one through X-2 all on the Vita. That is pretty darn cool!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah Yuna's VA was really, really not on top of her game back then. I remember starting the game up this summer and being like "Wow I don't remember it being this bad."
hey

you... just don't know when... they have to sync lips in time... to... the voices... you know?

FFX came out at a time with a better dub than other dubs out there at the same time. Also, chances were that it was probably one of the first dubs you've heard in a video game so it couldn't have been -that- bad. Now you have other things to compare it to.

CorvoSol

hey

you... just don't know when... they have to sync lips in time... to... the voices... you know?

FFX came out at a time with a better dub than other dubs out there at the same time. Also, chances were that it was probably one of the first dubs you've heard in a video game so it couldn't have been -that- bad. Now you have other things to compare it to.

I get all that, but I mean, if I was Beef and this was my first time to the X rodeo I'd be like "Gee this suuuuucks" too.

Levyne

Banned
Yuna's pauses doesn't really bother me, past the fact that I can mentally transition myself to the era the dub was recorded in. It sounds cautious and reserved, which fits and juxtaposes well with the Yuna you see in X-2 (though I have yet to revisit that, soon!)

Tidus's diction is more awkward to me, generally.

withyunabymyside

^ not even matching any lips :/

opinion on tidus pls
Oh he's a weiner. But not as bad as I feared. Rikku is insufferable, though. If anything, she makes me miss Yuffie.
I get all that, but I mean, if I was Beef and this was my first time to the X rodeo I'd be like "Gee this suuuuucks" too.
I think the worst parts are when Yuna says "yes" or something SUPER QUICKLY, and the audio cuts out at the echo. It's sooooo bad.

injurai

Banned
Yuna's pauses doesn't really bother me, past the fact that I can mentally transition myself to the era the dub was recorded in. It sounds cautious and reserved, which fits and juxtaposes well with the Yuna you see in X-2 (though I have yet to revisit that, soon!)

Tidus's diction is more awkward to me, generally.

withyunabymyside

^ not even matching any lips :/

close your eyes and use your imagination

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh he's a weiner. But not as bad as I feared. Rikku is insufferable, though. If anything, she makes me miss Yuffie.

I think the worst parts are when Yuna says "yes" or something SUPER QUICKLY, and the audio cuts out at the echo. It's sooooo bad.
My favourite voice clip has got to be one of Lulu's. I mean, outside of staaaaay awaaaayyyy from the summonerrrrrr, which sounds like it was in one of those older PC games.

Tidus is still a wiener. Solidified wiener status.

CorvoSol

SCHALA SCHALA SCHALA

I'm super upset that FF4's Best Girl hasn't been announced for Curtain Call yet.

DO THE THING DO THE THING DO THE THING

CorvoSol

Corvo, no one likes forced memes.

You gotta use it when it's warranted.

...who's FF4's best girl? Rydia?

Ahahaha. That sounds like the best thing.

I like to force memes.

And FF4's best girl would have to either be Rosa or Porom from context, since Rydia has been in TFF since the first one.

I kinda find Yuna slightly annoying with her speech but Tidus is still cool. This remastered soundtrack is truly hit or miss. It sounds clearer but some of the songs sound worse.

Interesting...I find that Yuna has the most tolerable VO while playing the HD version. I think Wakka still holds up really well too. The game is pretty awkward, but the story is still interesting

Levyne

Banned
I kinda find Yuna slightly annoying with her speech but Tidus is still cool. This remastered soundtrack is truly hit or miss. It sounds clearer but some of the songs sound worse.

A lot of the songs sound similar enough to the old ones that unless I specifically tabbed between versions, it didn't really bother me. (Not "I can't tell the difference" but more "I had forgotten what the old version exactly sounded like, so the newer version doesn't really bother me if it was similar enough".)

The only song that really struck me as being significantly different was the Thunder Plains, and Run! For the later, it's probably just because that was one of my favorites originally. Oddly enough, looking at comments, seems like most people like the new version. Hmm.

I wish the Seymour 4 music was attached to a better/harder boss. Awesome song, boring encounter.

This has probably been said before but...
has anyone realized how amazing the Dissida 012 mods are?

I just saw one today where Yunalesca was modded over the Cloud of Darkness almost perfectly. I never thought it would be possible to change the model of characters so much.

CorvoSol

I always figured the point of Tidus was to start out a whiny loser and then get cool. Course a lot of folks never stuck around to see that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One that isn't perpetually trapped in 2004.
bjylurtiuaauq7g5jklt.jpg

Tidus ain't cool.

I think "cool" has origins in the 60's.

EDIT: Yeah, just did a quick search on its history. Even in the 50's, it seems.
Much older than that. Much older.

In text, I saw it in the 1800s. Maybe 1820s or so. Fashionable/neat - 1930s.

"keeping cool" is a 1400s thing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was more wondering about why it isn't deceased, not musing about its birthdate :p
Ease of flow; popularity having come from AAE/jazz culture. Not only that, but it's ubiquitous in several different cultures (ie: even as a borrowed lexical item) so a ton of people are exposed to it and thus making it more pervasive.

Youth culture and media might have something to do with it too, given its handling in the 50s and onwards. It's something I -could- ask a former prof of mine, but it would boil down to a debate that'd last for a week.

You can't see me, Schala, but I'm squealing with delight at having earned the Wakka stare.
See, it's even better instead of forcing it!

CorvoSol

Well, I'll take it over 'epic' or 'legit'.

Super cool

Oh Lawdy nowadays when I hear epic I'm like "Really? Unless we're talking about Beowulf, just stop it." Mostly because marketing got a hold of that word and murdered it. Like, sometimes it's still funny when used ironically, but yeah.

Legit I use, but only because its Portuguese equivalent, legal is standard slang in Brazil.

Anyway MGSX-4 is killing me here.

Pfffft. Yeah that was pretty cool. Then he opened his mouth.

No one ever accused him of being smart or witty.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Damn, I wanna get me Final Fantasy VII while it's still on sale on Steam for $3.99. Is that sale really only good for just today? I haven't played that since the late 90's. That feeling when you've played for hours and hours and you finally get to that part where you're on the motorcycle and when it's over, realizing you actually only exited the city and the actual over world map opens up!

Levyne

Banned
Damn, I wanna get me Final Fantasy VII while it's still on sale on Steam for $3.99. Is that sale really only good for just today? I haven't played that since the late 90's. That feeling when you've played for hours and hours and you finally get to that part where you're on the motorcycle and when it's over, realizing you actually only exited the city and the actual over world map opens up!

Yeah, will probably reset to a lower % off at steam's reset tomorrow. I forget if that is noon or 1pm eastern in DST

Top Bottom