• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So I finally started FFX (HD). SO many years after... the game looks so much better to me than before. And I don't mean 'cause of the graphics, it's just that after so many years of spin-offs or sequels it's nice to go back to a proper main Final Fantasy again. The attention to details is yet again amazing... even 10 yrs later. There are also little sound details that are making me very nostalgic, like when you click on things through the menus... that "dling" ahah.
I just arrived at Kilika btw.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't even like Blitzball, but the first time players are exposed to it is actually really stupid and I can't believe someone designed this without saying, "maybe we should ease players in with a practice match as opposed to trial by fire". You're going up against a team that's far better than you are, and of course many players aren't going to like it because the odds are usually stacked up against them and many of the conditions of you winning is connected to being able to steal the ball from the centre. Not many players would then use the first half to keep the ball in their corner and just pass it between folks to raise XP until Tidus can actually equip the Jecht Shot learned earlier, then abuse the goalie glitch after scoring.

If you got to play the game against the Al Bhed Psyches or something, it'd feel more balanced. A shitty tutorial to explain everything 20 minutes before you even bother to play a game of blitzball doesn't cut it.

If you are going after World Champion just do what I do and recruit the best players (one of whom whose contract ran out with the Luca Goers) after getting the Airship, then play a shitload of Blitzball. It's not that bad when you're on even ground. The way the game introduced it to you really sucks.

CorvoSol

I actually kinda like Blitzball but I think a huge problem with it is also the sheer length of that tutorial. Like what the heck.

Holykael1

Banned
It's funny how people give LR's ending shit when it has the same message as FF6's just with a more overblown and cheesy execution.
Regardless..
I absolutely love FF6.
I like how the party represents existentialism and how Kefka represents Nihilism.(atleast in my interpretation)
Philosofical currents that share some of the same ideology, like for instance they both acknowledge the absurdity of existence but at the same time are the exact opposite(Finding meaning to our life ourselves vs Rejection of any kind of meaning.). You could say they are two sides of the same coin.
We see how each character struggles to find meaning in their lifes after the World of Ruin and we see a culmination of their "discoveries" in the last speech against Kefka.
Another interesting tidbit is how it is theorized that Kefka's name may have been influenced by a well known Existentialist called Franz Kafka.

I have 2 main gripes with FF6:(Otherwise it's an amazing game in my book)

- Way too many random encounters.
- Too much time wasted constantly tweaking things in the menu.

As my first post in this thread I would also like to put here my personal FF rankings just because.

FF 7 > FF 10 > FF9=FF8 > FF6 = FF 13-2 > LR=FF4 > FF12 = FF13 = FF5 > FF2 > FF1

Haven't played 3 yet. I still consider 1 and 2 to be great games. I am especially impressed at how good FF2 is from a story/sound perspective for it's time.

Wazzy

Banned
FF 7 > FF 10 > FF9=FF8 > FF6 = FF 13-2 > LR=FF4 > FF12 = FF13 = FF5 > FF2 > FF1

Haven't played 3 yet. I still consider 1 and 2 to be great games. I am especially impressed at how good FF2 is from a story/sound perspective for it's time.

I...I'm okay with this ranking. As long as VIII's in peoples top 5 then you got my respect. :D

blitzball is easy once you get Nimrook and discover the unstoppable brother to the Tidus connection

also X-2 is amazing. haters can go play their super serious manly games for manly men.

Levyne

Banned
I'm liking both games slightly less than I did before (though I still like them).

Apparently I've become quite the chatterbox.

0GSECHB.png

Holykael1

Banned
Poor FF5, it certainly doesn't deserve that. Not that I'd ever agree with any FF ranking, not even my own.

Hey don't get me wrong. Gameplay wise FF5 is top 5 atleast. And it even has a pretty decent story and it also has my favourite regular battle theme in the series. It's just a combination of all the elements that make the others a superior experience for me..
It's a top notch game in every aspect even if I don't think it's as good as the entries above it. I hold the FF series in very high regard and hell even FF1 is an excellent game and that's at the very bottom of my list.

In fact im more inclined to give an edge to FF5 over 12 and 13.

FF 5 - Battle Theme - So good

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not that I'd ever agree with any FF ranking, not even my own.
It's why I don't post rankings of many things anymore unless it's GotY or SotY (which I'm doing this year with Ghaleon, actually!).

Rankings are too hard.
I just know the games I don't like or don't think much of.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Rankings always seem a bit too specific for something that changes with my mood, especially for this series which generally has a very high quality.
I could maybe say that the games I liked the most are FF1, FF5 and FF7. Though at least two of them are also mentioned because I have them associated with the great experiences of two NeoGAF threads. And the third was my first mainline FF game.
But in the end I liked all mainline FF games I played*. Can't say that about many other series.

Levyne

Banned
Whenever I rank stuff I feel like positioning one ahead or behind others feels a bit arbitrary. There isn't some simple measuring stick I can use to easily define positioning like that. I suppose tiers would work somewhat better.

I know that I like 8 more than most people and don't care for 7 or 9 as much as most people. By most people I mean my perception of the general consensus, as inaccurate as that could be.

Holykael1

Banned
Rankings always seem a bit too specific for something that changes with my mood, especially for this series which generally has a very high quality.
I could maybe say that the games I liked the most are FF1, FF5 and FF7. Though at least two of them are also mentioned because I have them associated with the great experiences of two NeoGAF threads. And the third was my first mainline FF game.
But in the end I liked all mainline FF games I played*. Can't say that about many other series.

Well yeah, Rankings change all the time, they are not set in stone. This is how I feel at the moment but they can change radically with the passage of time.

Holykael1

Banned
It's just that my required "passage of time" might be well under an hour.

That's perfectly plausible. Sometimes engaging in discussions can change your opinion of something.
Those rankings have been stable for the last few weeks, hence why I decided to share them.

CorvoSol

I try not to rank much because lists are the opposite of good discussion. They can be useful as shorthands and guides, but i much prefer talking about what is and is not good about a game independent of my own arbitrary, subjective, and highly malleable rankings.

Holykael1

Banned
I try not to rank much because lists are the opposite of good discussion. They can be useful as shorthands and guides, but i much prefer talking about what is and is not good about a game independent of my own arbitrary, subjective, and highly malleable rankings.

Quite the contrary, they can be useful to initiate good dicussion. They can kickstart a large scale debate on each entry of the series. For example, FF 5 was briefly discussed but it could have led to much more than that.
Don't forget that even "talking about what is and is not good about a game" is arbitrary, subjective and highly malleable. What can be a positive to me might be a negative to you for instance.

We are having a discussion about rankings as of right now, it's not a bad discussion to have either, is it?

Jucksalbe

Banned
FF6 and 4 being above 8 in anything automatically angers me. I think I need lunch.

I like 8, but I still think the battle system and everything that comes with it is a mess. It was good that they tried something different, but it just doesn't work all that well. I'm not sure if I'd put 6 and 4 above it anyway. The only version of 6 that I finished was the PSX version, so I don't think I've given it a fair chance yet.

CorvoSol

FF6 and 4 being above 8 in anything automatically angers me. I think I need lunch.

I like 4, but I will actually agree that 8 is the better game. The sheer difference in size of content between the two games demonstrates it. 'Course decades of improvements of quality will do that. Not that all time is a forward march of progress *cough13seriescough*

Holykael1

Banned
I like 4, but I will actually agree that 8 is the better game. The sheer difference in size of content between the two games demonstrates it. 'Course decades of improvements of quality will do that. Not that all time is a forward march of progress *cough13seriescough*

I think XIII-2 had a lot of heart and one of the best villains/character arcs in the entire series. Hell LR is fantastic gameplay wise, the story ain't bad either, from a mythology/world building standpoint it's really good and some of character development can be excellent(Snow comes to mind.). Music is stellar across the board and the original XIII has it's moments.

Speaking of PS1 ports, the first time I played Chrono Trigger was the PS1 version. I replayed it at least 3 times, so you can imagine my joy when I got the DS version.

PK Gaming

I won't deny that FF8 is better than FF4, but I didn't like the cast as much

I know, I know, even the goddess that is Quistis couldn't salvage it for me :X

CorvoSol

Quite the contrary, they can be useful to initiate good dicussion. They can kickstart a large scale debate on each entry of the series. For example, FF 5 was briefly discussed but it could have led to much more than that.
Don't forget that even "talking about what is and is not good about a game" is arbitrary, subjective and highly malleable. What can be a positive to me might be a negative to you for instance.

We are having a discussion about rankings as of right now, it's not a bad discussion to have either, is it?

It is a bad discussion. Ranking discussions are almost universally bad because you just put numbers next to symbols and call it discussion and bicker about arbitrary assignments without context or purpose. Lists are almost anathema to discussion because you look at a list, say "I don't agree with it" and nothing new nor profitable comes from it.

By comparison, actually talking about the merits of the game in diverse categories actually is good discussion. I'm not trying to win a competition when I sit down and wax the light philosophic about FF4. I enjoy the game, I have thoughts to share about it, and as a good discussion I share those thoughts and consider the thoughts of others about it. Schala makes excellent points about the game's weakness and by carefully considering those I am able to advance my own views in a more rounded way later on. I can learn something about a game I like rather than sitting there shitting on someone I barely know just because they don't like my favorite flavor of ice cream to the same degree that I do. Hell, sometimes these discussions help me to understand the people discussing more than the game. I get to respect people more as time goes on and as they take the time to show me what they think.

There are so many different ways of ranking, and so many possible ranks one can assign that just dropping a 1 > 2 > 3 means so very, very little. Is 1 > 3 because of the same reasons 2 is? Is 2 less than 1 to the same degree that 3 is less than 2? What does less and more mean in this context? It's less than the skeleton of good discussion. It's a child's parody of a bad drawing of the skeleton of good discussion. The miniaturization of thought for the sake of rapid, empty consumption.

I think XIII-2 had a lot of heart and one of the best villains/character arcs in the entire series. Hell LR is fantastic gameplay wise, the story ain't bad either, from a mythology/world building standpoint it's really good and some of character development can be excellent(Snow comes to mind.). Music is stellar across the board and the original XIII has it's moments.

The problems I have with the FNC, especially in the sense you've quoted, are a little harder to explain than that, and I think this exemplifies my point. If I just put 7 > 13 it doesn't mean anything because it's the opposite of an explanation. It's a hieroglyphic for which the only Rosetta stone exists in my head and I have chosen not to demonstrate out of lethargy.

XIII is a huge step backwards from XII because the game is so completely barren by comparison. XII is characterized by massive areas which are fairly open ended to player exploration and a range of character development which is open to the player from the beginning to the end. Sprawling cities, massive deserts, ruins, mountains to scale. It was an enormous game brimming with places to go and things to do. XIII is a straight shot from beginning to end, with imposed restrictions upon player progression that are austere at best. Beyond that the game relegates hilarious amounts of information, some of it plot crucial to a datalogue, rather than telling it to the player through its actual narrative. Combat is composed of a wonderful idea, the paradigm shift system, which is entirely hampered by the absurd restriction of control to a single party member at all times.

XIII-2, while attempting to address these flaws, fails to really do so, compensating for a lack of maps by making the player repeat the same area under different weather conditions (which "pass" for time periods), and continues to restrict the player to a single character for control during combat. Had there been a way to preserve paradigm as a system while not throwing out player control and maintaining the quicker pace, it could've been something stellar. The real problem of XIII-2, though, is that it's a fairly decent plot shackled to XIII's. XIII and XIII-2 both tell stories that frankly shouldn't have been related at all, because the relationship they have is tenuous at best. XIII-2 does a horrible job handling XIII's mythology, all but discarding it and contradicting it at numerous, nonsensical points until its clusterfuck of an ending, which, to use a word far more positive than I want to, completely invalidates the player's efforts for the last 2 games. It also utterly derails characters' personalities for no reason. Lightning is the most obvious, but numerous people will quickly point out that for a faithful girlfriend Serah is awfully close to Noel. And then there's Hope, whose being out of character drives a significant part of the plot.

I can't speak to Lightning Returns because I haven't played it yet, but the point is that XIII is a huge step down from XII in terms of gameplay and story telling, and XIII-2 is held back by being related to XIII in a tangible way. It's not that XIII-2's own story couldn't be good, it's that when it tries to connect to XIII it almost invariably fails, creating this hideous cross-game snarl that does nothing but provoke players to hate it. How is anyone to be faulted for being pissed to see that Lightning is suddenly happy to slave for a God? That Snow is a-okay with being a L'Cie and ditching his girlfriend for hundreds of years? That Hope completely destroys everything you worked so hard to save in the first game
for fuck's sake 500 years cannot erode crystal this is basic shit
while building a God from the brain of the God that KILLED HIS MOM, etc etc etc.

XIII-2 deserved to be its own game, entirely unattached to XIII. Because freed from the foibles the plot commits in trying to relate to XIII, it might've actually been good.

Holykael1

Banned

My rankings generated this post, I have done my job.(and also rankings are just rankings, they are a simple way to show your preferences and obviously I wasn't trying to go very indepth, it was a quick and dirty way of showing which FFs I like more, completely harmless).

Ok Im gonna have a lot of fun with this, lets begin:
- I don't disagree that XIII is overly linear but also linear isn't necessarily inferior to open world, it's up to personal preference. XIII is TOO linear but I think the sequels reached a good balance of linearity. I prefer the much less open and world map approach of FF4-10 than FF 12.
- Paradigm shifting is a streamlined version of the gambits, it's arbitrary to have control of the other 2 party members when simply choosing their roles is all the control you need. Is it so important that you have to spam cure yourself instead of telling your character to change to "medic"? While once again this will be up to personal preference I think this system allowed for much more dynamic and fast paced battles, controlling all the characters at the same time was clunky and you had to basically rely on the gambits. Whether you prefer the more streamlined nature of the XIII paradigms or the full customizable freedom of the gambits is a different story but neither are inherently bad.
- The datalog complain again is another fair one but at the same time there is a reason for it. It wouldnt make sense to have the characters talk about the rules of their own world, they decided to put that information on the datalogue instead of having an unnatural, nonsensical NPC telling you the whole story of a city once you approach them. They went overboard especially with shoving the whole mythology in there(they should have incorporated that part into the environment of Pulse), but it's not conceptually unsound. This is poor story execution but it doesn't invalidate the good things that the game did. One can enjoy something while still being aware of it's flaws and I for one disagree with some of your points and find some of the criticisms to be overblown(with the exception of the linearity and datalog) even if some are completely understandable.

XIII and XIII-2 both tell stories that frankly shouldn't have been related at all, because the relationship they have is tenuous at best. XIII-2 does a horrible job handling XIII's mythology, all but discarding it and contradicting it at numerous, nonsensical points until its clusterfuck of an ending

I would like you to elaborate more on this, go into the actual narrative contents that make you feel this way because this is nothing more than your own empty claims without them. I can't possibly refute an opinion of this nature if you are not telling me what exactly is "nonsensical, contradicting and a clusterfuck" in FF XIII-2. Oh wait unless you are referring to this:

How is anyone to be faulted for being pissed to see that Lightning is suddenly happy to slave for a God? That Snow is a-okay with being a L'Cie and ditching his girlfriend for hundreds of years? That Hope completely destroys everything you worked so hard to save in the first game for fuck's sake 500 years cannot erode crystal this is basic shit while building a God from the brain of the God that KILLED HIS MOM, etc etc etc..

Lightning isn't happy to be anything.. She was forced to do this, the unseen chaos pulled her into Valhalla, she had no choice but to help the Goddess fight against Caius who was trying to end time itself-
With the way time traveling works in XIII-2 Snow didn't ditch his girlfriend for hundreds of years.. He jumped into that timeline and he was only going to stay there for as long as he could protect the crystal holding Cocoon, he could simply use the gate to hop back remember? Not to mention that he was trying to prevent a catastrophe that led to Noel's Future, in LR he is full of regret for foolishly trying to protect the unprotectable instead of having protected Serah... If anything these claims of yours only show that you failed to grasp the storyline.
The bolded part doesn't even make any sense, what the hell are you trying to say?

It also utterly derails characters' personalities for no reason. Lightning is the most obvious, but numerous people will quickly point out that for a faithful girlfriend Serah is awfully close to Noel. And then there's Hope, whose being out of character drives a significant part of the plot.

It does? How so.. Nobody regressed in character development. Why is Hope out of character? He was trying to help human society, he was just misguided in his approach by basing his design on Fal'cies.. He didn't anticipate that the AI would get a mind of his own...That was something that was out of his control.
And having a male friend is necessarily romantic? Noel and Serah were good friends, you are the one who is claiming it is more than it is..

For the record I actually really liked XIII-2 as a followup, it elaborated on the mythology extremely well, given the nature of the Goddess Etro herself and the fact that it was so unexplored in XIII. I wanted to know more after having read these in the original XIIII - http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Datalog/Analects

CorvoSol

Now, if we're going to discuss things there are rules, and one of those rules is that you have to read my post. I cited examples of how characters were derailed, but if you'd like clarification on that, I can provide it to you. I will, in fact, provide that.

I should note, however, that you need first to cease and desist the silly notion that you are to be credited with starting this conversation by posting rankings. This is absurd not simply because you're taking credit for something over which you could not possibly have had control nor indicated at the time that you expected, but also because taking credit for starting a conversation is an incredibly childish thing to do. A conversation is a conversation, and who started it isn't the point of the conversation at all.

XIII is not a question of linearity versus open-world, and this is a fallacy I feel the wider debate has fostered for far too long. It's a question of content and options in a role playing game, which, contrary to Square's prevailing rhetoric, are as much about if not more so about customizing characters and running them through challenges to see if your strategy and customization have paid off as they are about whatever the GM wants the quest to be. It isn't that XIII is linear, it's that it is limited and unfinished. The game actively inhibits character progression at numerous points, in a game where said progression is already woefully simplistic. Likewise, have you ever considered that until arriving at Gran-Pulse you cannot turn backwards? It's pretty rare for Final Fantasy games to have places you can never go back to, maybe one or two per game, but XIII's first 20 hours are inaccessible from the moment you leave the area. This isn't a question of linearity that can hide behind the aegis of preference, it's a matter of the game constantly shrinking as you play it, when most Final Fantasy games open up more and more as you go on.

Referring to paradigm shifting I again refer you to my previous post, in which I discussed pacing as a benefit of the system and to the bulk of what I have said in which I have already made the argument that the game restricting you like a boa constrictor is frankly bizarre in a genre which is not built upon such principles.

There is no fair explanation for the datalog. It's laziness and a sign that in spite of the half-decade of work spent on this game they still rushed it. There is NO reason why critical information NECESSARY to understand the end of the game should be put in a datalog and not told during the course of the narrative.
-
The ending to XIII-2 defies every single thing that has happened in both games and invalidates what's happened in them, this is why it's a nonsensical clusterfuck. Specifically,
1. Cocoon could not and should not have fallen. You spent 2 games to keep it in the air and in this game you specifically undid everything that was supposed to make it fall. It still does. 2. Caius could have killed himself at any point in the game, but does not do it until the end of the game. Please do not tell me Noel did it because that's not at all true and I will not tolerate lies in the face of facts. 3. Serah dies, even though the future didn't change. Especially since Caius dies outside of the flow of time.
-
Lightning had no choice but to destroy Cocoon and serve Barthandelus, but she still fought that. This is the epitome of character derailment
-
If Snow can use the crystal to come back, why doesn't he? Even if you factor that in, he's missing from Serah's life for years. Even though he can leave and come back. Do you understand how time travel works? If I go back two hundred years I am no longer in a rush to do anything two hundred years from then because I have two hundred years spare time now and also I can always travel in time again to correct mistakes. Square made a video game about this very concept once upon a time. It was called Chrono Trigger and it didn't suck.
-
1. Again, I explained how Hope was out of character, but here's the run down for you. Please actually read it this time: A. Hope fought to free mankind from Fal'Cie. So why does he now want to build one? B. Cocoon was a floating death trap and Hope knows it. Pulse is full of life and sustained humanity long before Cocoon ever existed. Why would Hope go back? C. Eden was Barthandelus' coconspirator in killing off all of mankind. WHY WOULD HE USE ITS BRAIN TO BUILD A NEW FAL'CIE? D. The Fal'Cie were created by Lindzei. A God. How the fuck does Hope suddenly know how to build one? E. WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE WANT TO? THEY KILLED HIS MOM. THEY DESTROYED HIS WORLD. What kind of person is simultaneously smart enough to reverse engineer the work of a God and retarded enough to trust his mother's murderer not to try and kill him again? Besides Toriyama? F. Hope has access to Serah and Noel who can freely move back and forth through time at absolutely 0 cost. WHY WOULD HE TAKE A ONE WAY TRIP 500 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE? Isn't he supposed to be smart? G. When did Hope become smart? No mention of this genius is made in XIII.

Do you really not see that Hope not anticipating that is precisely the problem? Of course Eden would betray him! What reason was there to think it wouldn't? What kind of genius didn't think that through?

2. Spare me the merry-go-round of "but boys and girls don't have to be attracted to be friends!" because that has no bearing on this at all. Serah never even considers whether it would be wrong to go gallivanting off with a guy she doesn't know instead of waiting for the boyfriend who abandoned her 5 years back or whatever. I have female friends I'm not attracted to, but it takes 5 seconds to think about this and see what's wrong: I've known these friends for years. Serah JUST met Noel and she goes running off with him. Shoot, I have a female friend who is married and I still try to use my brain in interaction so as not to send the wrong message to her husband. Can you imagine if she and I just ran off together and we'd only just met? Even knowing her for as long as I had if we just up and ran off it's still going to look bad. That neither of them brings it up is a pretty big oversight.

Holykael1

Banned
Now, if we're going to discuss things there are rules, and one of those rules is that you have to read my post. I cited examples of how characters were derailed, but if you'd like clarification on that, I can provide it to you. I will, in fact, provide that.

I should note, however, that you need first to cease and desist the silly notion that you are to be credited with starting this conversation by posting rankings. This is absurd not simply because you're taking credit for something over which you could not possibly have had control nor indicated at the time that you expected, but also because taking credit for starting a conversation is an incredibly childish thing to do. A conversation is a conversation, and who started it isn't the point of the conversation at all

XIII is not a question of linearity versus open-world, and this is a fallacy I feel the wider debate has fostered for far too long. It's a question of content and options in a role playing game, which, contrary to Square's prevailing rhetoric, are as much about if not more so about customizing characters and running them through challenges to see if your strategy and customization have paid off as they are about whatever the GM wants the quest to be. It isn't that XIII is linear, it's that it is limited and unfinished. The game actively inhibits character progression at numerous points, in a game where said progression is already woefully simplistic. Likewise, have you ever considered that until arriving at Gran-Pulse you cannot turn backwards? It's pretty rare for Final Fantasy games to have places you can never go back to, maybe one or two per game, but XIII's first 20 hours are inaccessible from the moment you leave the area. This isn't a question of linearity that can hide behind the aegis of preference, it's a matter of the game constantly shrinking as you play it, when most Final Fantasy games open up more and more as you go on.

Referring to paradigm shifting I again refer you to my previous post, in which I discussed pacing as a benefit of the system and to the bulk of what I have said in which I have already made the argument that the game restricting you like a boa constrictor is frankly bizarre in a genre which is not built upon such principles.

There is no fair explanation for the datalog. It's laziness and a sign that in spite of the half-decade of work spent on this game they still rushed it. There is NO reason why critical information NECESSARY to understand the end of the game should be put in a datalog and not told during the course of the narrative.
-
The ending to XIII-2 defies every single thing that has happened in both games and invalidates what's happened in them, this is why it's a nonsensical clusterfuck. Specifically,
1. Cocoon could not and should not have fallen. You spent 2 games to keep it in the air and in this game you specifically undid everything that was supposed to make it fall. It still does. 2. Caius could have killed himself at any point in the game, but does not do it until the end of the game. Please do not tell me Noel did it because that's not at all true and I will not tolerate lies in the face of facts. 3. Serah dies, even though the future didn't change. Especially since Caius dies outside of the flow of time.
-
Lightning had no choice but to destroy Cocoon and serve Barthandelus, but she still fought that. This is the epitome of character derailment
-
If Snow can use the crystal to come back, why doesn't he? Even if you factor that in, he's missing from Serah's life for years. Even though he can leave and come back. Do you understand how time travel works? If I go back two hundred years I am no longer in a rush to do anything two hundred years from then because I have two hundred years spare time now and also I can always travel in time again to correct mistakes. Square made a video game about this very concept once upon a time. It was called Chrono Trigger and it didn't suck.
-
1. Again, I explained how Hope was out of character, but here's the run down for you. Please actually read it this time: A. Hope fought to free mankind from Fal'Cie. So why does he now want to build one? B. Cocoon was a floating death trap and Hope knows it. Pulse is full of life and sustained humanity long before Cocoon ever existed. Why would Hope go back? C. Eden was Barthandelus' coconspirator in killing off all of mankind. WHY WOULD HE USE ITS BRAIN TO BUILD A NEW FAL'CIE? D. The Fal'Cie were created by Lindzei. A God. How the fuck does Hope suddenly know how to build one? E. WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE WANT TO? THEY KILLED HIS MOM. THEY DESTROYED HIS WORLD. What kind of person is simultaneously smart enough to reverse engineer the work of a God and retarded enough to trust his mother's murderer not to try and kill him again? Besides Toriyama? F. Hope has access to Serah and Noel who can freely move back and forth through time at absolutely 0 cost. WHY WOULD HE TAKE A ONE WAY TRIP 500 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE? Isn't he supposed to be smart? G. When did Hope become smart? No mention of this genius is made in XIII.

Do you really not see that Hope not anticipating that is precisely the problem? Of course Eden would betray him! What reason was there to think it wouldn't? What kind of genius didn't think that through?

2. Spare me the merry-go-round of "but boys and girls don't have to be attracted to be friends!" because that has no bearing on this at all. Serah never even considers whether it would be wrong to go gallivanting off with a guy she doesn't know instead of waiting for the boyfriend who abandoned her 5 years back or whatever. I have female friends I'm not attracted to, but it takes 5 seconds to think about this and see what's wrong: I've known these friends for years. Serah JUST met Noel and she goes running off with him. Shoot, I have a female friend who is married and I still try to use my brain in interaction so as not to send the wrong message to her husband. Can you imagine if she and I just ran off together and we'd only just met? Even knowing her for as long as I had if we just up and ran off it's still going to look bad. That neither of them brings it up is a pretty big oversight.

I don't know why you are being aggressive over this. Obviously I was not being serious. You are making too much of a big deal of me having posted some harmless and innocent rankings.
I don't have time right now because it's late but I will come back to this tomorrow.

CorvoSol

I don't know why you are being aggressive over this. Obviously I was not being serious. You are making too much of a big deal of me having posted some harmless and innocent rankings.
I don't have time right now because it's late but I will come back to this tomorrow.

I think you misunderstand, friend. I confess tone is difficult to convey over the net, but any aggression you might think is here is more perceived than intended. I'm not looking to make anyone my victim, only pointing out that it's kind of a dick move to take credit for starting a conversation. It's like a man taking credit for dinner when it's just McDonalds.

Now is a perfect point to conclude the conversation, however. Over-long discussion is as bad as "undiscussion" in its own way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, FFXIV is objectifying the crap out of my poor cat. Just lookit dis shit.

What part of those abs is realistic at all!?
If your abs were close to your chest cavity and spanned the entirety of your torso like that, I think we'd have a bigger problem. :p

CorvoSol

Man, FFXIV is objectifying the crap out of my poor cat. Just lookit dis shit.

What part of those abs is realistic at all!?

Why is your cat man dressed like a 40 y-o woman at walmart? Look at that belt? How high above your navel does your belt need to be?

Do cats have navels?

Levyne

Banned
As my first post in this thread I would also like to put here my personal FF rankings just because.

Didn't see this initial post earlier. Welcome to the thread! Don't be discouraged to post here, last thing I imagine anyone wants to do is come across as insular and hostile to new people, even though that wasn't the intention at all.. I only started posting here recently as well. Lots of fun people, really, (not being coy).

CorvoSol

After some extensive research, I can confirm that cats do have navels. Takes a bit of looking as it isn't really detailed, but they're there.

No nipples tho.

In fairness I have no idea if male cats have nipples anyway. I am going to google this now.

EDIT: Google says boy kitties have nipples too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How many of you all set ATB to Active? Cuz these are my settings in FFX-2 right now.

2014-04-02-131945tjsbq.jpg

I like Active because I... just like having things constantly flowing so I can end things faster. I'm weird. I like to think on-the-fly, so that's why active ATB doesn't make me mad.

Also, I adore that you don't get AP at the end of a battle, since you can unlock skills in-battle and use them right away. Makes shit much faster and more convenient.

Noi

I didn't even know Wait was an option in X-2. Not that I'd ever do it, the whole point of that battle system was that it revolved around the Active part of ATB.

I remember using Wait in CT, FF4, etc as a kid, but I know better now. That just makes easy games even easier still.

Levyne

Banned
I have it on Wait so that I don't feel pressured to fly through the command menu. I'm glad that it doesn't pause everything at the root, though.

Heropon

I have it on wait, I like the fast paced combat but I want to take my time to choose skills. What I can't stand are the dressphere change animations, I have them OFF and the mandatory first animations are getting on my nerves.

If we're going to try to have posts that contain all of the FF games, I'd much rather have people talk about what each game did especially well and what each game did poorly. All of the FF games are flawed and none of them surpasses all the rest in all respects. That'd result in a much more interesting qualitative discussion, I think, but hopefully without people getting antsy because everyone's just posting about one specific FF for two pages in a row.

I'm quite happy to start (in my next post).

Top Bottom