• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's more or less because the discussion seemed to have been dropped last night, especially since Corvo didn't seem to care about it this morning until pointed him in the direction of responding to your post. And as we've seen, that dominated the thread so much that even I feel iffy about jumping into the conversation. It's just that I also noticed that other folks who usually post in here aren't posting as much unless they felt like the subject was dropped (ie: last night).

This whole argumentative approach is legitimately why I just stopped posting in FF threads, or even simply the main gaming page for the most part for a long time in 2013 (and even now in some spots). More or less as an example, an FF thread could be about something else and yet the thread becomes dominated by one or two people or a certain group's conversation and it ends up being slightly antagonistic in tone. Regardless of what they're arguing, that becomes the centerpiece of the thread. Given that the current subject is FF13 as usual, it's just a retread of known territory that's been tread upon for thread after thread, and I'm just sick and tired of basically reading the same stuff over and over. I'm not the only one who feels that way, especially given that some people in this thread have discussed their misgivings about the direction of FF threads in general. It just sucks that people won't just drop something, realize they should probably agree to disagree because they won't agree, and move on so the thread can move on and other subjects can be brought up. It also relates to people scrutinizing and arguing about the littlest details and the rationalization behind that to me is a little incomprehensible.

Having to read the same stuff and the same topics covered with the same exact attitude going in (ie: debating for the sake/desire of debating or some hostility being injected into the debate for the sake of winning) here makes me feel like just bowing out for a while and coming back when the debate is over. It's a major turn-off to me.

I come to GAF to just have fun and talk about games or silly stuff after work/school on the weekend. Not carry on a debate for page after page to the point of homogeneity. Especially in a community thread where conversation generally flows with slight levity and people move on after adding their two cents. I know other people certainly feel differently, but that's been my perspective ever since I started posting on GAF and the threads I generally post in. That isn't just limited to FF, though. That actually relates to a lot of threads and subjects. I guess if I were less busy or if I were younger, I wouldn't mind it as much, but when a thread goes into that direction, it becomes difficult to jump in with your two cents even if you write a long-ass post about what you think.

I mean, Corvo knows I don't like FF4 and don't care as much about FF6 like everyone else does. I'm one of the 3 people here who likes FF2. Everyone else knows that. I say my piece, they say theirs. Beef laughs and trolls a bit and we know we shouldn't take him seriously. We just agree to disagree because we all know what we like and what we dislike.

By the way, I kinda like badcrumble's idea of just talking about the pros/cons of something because just listing stuff is just boring because you're not providing any explanation of why you'd list something the way you would. That's why list / ranking / voting threads are frowned upon here: they don't provide any discussion whatsoever other than a tick on your post count or if someone responds to you and says, "lol, what" or "yeah, I agree". If you actually justify your choices, you won't be met with an "lol, what" or a simple "I agree with you". You'd have to put substantive justification behind your choices and then discussion can branch off from something that you've said as opposed to a simple ranking.

So that's my two cents. Carry on if you'd like, I guess.

CorvoSol

There isn't going to be any further discussion. Not as long as "Magical physics justify my argument" is supposed to work here. Not as long as people flip flop between "Lightning was forced to!" and "Why wouldn't Lightning want to be a slave?" Not as long as certain people continue to behave as if they were innocent victims in a negative situation they perpetuated for the sake of their ego and continue to project their sins upon others.

I'm out, FF thread. Call me when there's something to talk about and someone to listen.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
FFVII still feels good after almost two decades. It obviously shows its age but the game is still a lot of fun. But, I think it's here where the dungeons became more straight forward and less labyrinthine. Right now I'm in Kalm Village after the flashback sequences.

Also, this is being so nitpicky by why in hell is there Korean food and signs that they say Texas in a world that doesn't take place in our own?

Levyne

Banned
FFVII still feels good after almost two decades. It obviously shows its age but the game is still a lot of fun. But, I think it's here where the dungeons became more straight forward and less labyrinthine. Right now I'm in Kalm Village after the flashback sequences.

Also, this is being so nitpicky by why in hell is there Korean food and signs that they say Texas in a world that doesn't take place in our own?

Glad it ended up working out for you. Keep posting screens by the way, I saw a couple in my feed last night :)

SougoXIII

Man I thought FFXIII related stuff was suppose to be over. Can we sweep that mess under the rug and look towards to, hopefully, good FF games?

...so yea, X-2 is pretty fun. Except this stupid publicity side-quest is awful and I can't even imagine doing it without an FAQ. And its really weird knowing that Toriyama went to direct the XIII series after this.

I've been thinking about posting my thoughts about all the similarities between X and XIII and how I'm pretty sure that X was Toriyama's biggest inspiration for the game. But I can't really do it without pointing out how XIII did a poor job at many of the things it tried to imitate from X soooooo maybe I won't do it now.

Darkmakaimura

Glad it ended up working out for you. Keep posting screens by the way, I saw a couple in my feed last night :)
Got some more screenshots up, btw.

I'm enjoying FFVII immensely. Makes me want to complete the Final Fantasy VII Compilation. All I need is Advent Children Complete on Blu-ray and Crisis Core.

BTW, I can't miss the opportunity to recruit my favorite FF character, Vincent Valentine. I hope getting him isn't too difficult but I remember reading something about doing a timed mission in the mansion before you can.

Eventually, I want to get VIII. I had good memories of that game. I also hope they get FFIX up on Steam soon as well.

Just got past the kiss scene in FFX. I know it's kind of corny and parts of it make no sense (was that water really so deep? they were acting like they were standing on solid ground for the first half lol), but.. I still really like that cutscene. It's cute and kind of touching. The music helps a lot, too.

Nerokis

Just got past the kiss scene in FFX. I know it's kind of corny and parts of it make no sense (was that water really so deep? they were acting like they were standing on solid ground for the first half lol), but.. I still really like that cutscene. It's cute and kind of touching. The music helps a lot, too.

I'm going to go ahead and throw this on the table, no disclaimers, no shame: I fucking love that scene. I still want to learn how to play that song on the piano one day.

Saw this in person when they stopped by Atlanta :)

Can't recommend Distant Worlds enough to anybody with a chance to go. Rare chance to tell my mother I went to the symphony, haha.

Oh, you're in Atlanta? I live like an hour or so away from there, lol. I've been so tempted to go to one of those Distant Worlds, but they always came when I was busy. Couldn't fit my schedule. Next time it comes, I think I'm gonna try to go!

Nerokis

haha, I'm with ya! Have you heard the English version of Suteki da Ne? It's sung by Susan Calloway who does some of the other Final Fantasy songs. The version was taken from Distant Worlds II.

Yeah, I have. It's lovely. Thanks for the link, though, because that was a nice listen.

Also, I didn't recognize the name Susan Calloway, and that lead to me doing some research on her and the various singers who have done FF songs. I ended up discovering one song I don't think I've listened to before: the "Pure Heart" version of Aeris' theme. I prefer the original, but this is an interesting take. I really enjoyed it.

Mhmm. I know somebody who knows somebody and got free tickets :p

Ah, that's cheating! :p

Yeah, I have. It's lovely. Thanks for the link, though, because that was a nice listen.

Also, I didn't recognize the name Susan Calloway, and that lead to me doing some research on her and the various singers who have done FF songs. I ended up discovering one song I don't think I've listened to before: the "Pure Heart" version of Aeris' theme. I prefer the original, but this is an interesting take. I really enjoyed it.

No problem - it's definitely a beautiful song. Calloway has a very nice voice.

First time I've heard that "Pure Heart" version - I like it. I prefer the original like you, but still very cool.

Alright, not really a huge fan of Yuna's changed personality or the over exaggeration of Riku's. Do like how the game deliberately "ruins" the world of X though. Especially Zanarkand, yeesh.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Alright, not really a huge fan of Yuna's changed personality or the over exaggeration of Riku's. Do like how the game deliberately "ruins" the world of X though. Especially Zanarkand, yeesh.

FFX is what you should care about if you want to get into the general story and world. FFX-2 is just there to have some fun.

Darkmakaimura

Kinda sucks the FFX/X-2 remake isn't available on the 360. I never played it and would like to.

Was listening to "Answer" again.

Now open your eyes while our plight is repeated
Still deaf to our cries, lost in hope we lie defeated
Our souls have been torn, and our bodies forsaken
Bearing sins of the past, for our future is taken

War born of strife, these trials persuade us not
(Feel what? Learn what?)
Words without sound, these lies betray our thoughts
Mired by a plague of doubt, the Land, she mourns
(See what? Hear what?)
Judgement binds all we hold to a memory of scorn
Tell us why, given Life, we are meant to die, helpless in our cries?

This part gives me the chills every time. Kudos to Susan Calloway for that performance.

It may be corny but it's the best scene in the game and I thought it was awesome. The music set the mood as well. Second best scene is getting to Zanarkand and walking that long road.

Which isn't long enough.

Holykael1

Banned
It's more or less because the discussion seemed to have been dropped last night, especially since Corvo didn't seem to care about it this morning until pointed him in the direction of responding to your post. And as we've seen, that dominated the thread so much that even I feel iffy about jumping into the conversation. It's just that I also noticed that other folks who usually post in here aren't posting as much unless they felt like the subject was dropped (ie: last night).

This whole argumentative approach is legitimately why I just stopped posting in FF threads, or even simply the main gaming page for the most part for a long time in 2013 (and even now in some spots). More or less as an example, an FF thread could be about something else and yet the thread becomes dominated by one or two people or a certain group's conversation and it ends up being slightly antagonistic in tone. Regardless of what they're arguing, that becomes the centerpiece of the thread. Given that the current subject is FF13 as usual, it's just a retread of known territory that's been tread upon for thread after thread, and I'm just sick and tired of basically reading the same stuff over and over. I'm not the only one who feels that way, especially given that some people in this thread have discussed their misgivings about the direction of FF threads in general. It just sucks that people won't just drop something, realize they should probably agree to disagree because they won't agree, and move on so the thread can move on and other subjects can be brought up. It also relates to people scrutinizing and arguing about the littlest details and the rationalization behind that to me is a little incomprehensible.

Having to read the same stuff and the same topics covered with the same exact attitude going in (ie: debating for the sake/desire of debating or some hostility being injected into the debate for the sake of winning) here makes me feel like just bowing out for a while and coming back when the debate is over. It's a major turn-off to me.

I come to GAF to just have fun and talk about games or silly stuff after work/school on the weekend. Not carry on a debate for page after page to the point of homogeneity. Especially in a community thread where conversation generally flows with slight levity and people move on after adding their two cents. I know other people certainly feel differently, but that's been my perspective ever since I started posting on GAF and the threads I generally post in. That isn't just limited to FF, though. That actually relates to a lot of threads and subjects. I guess if I were less busy or if I were younger, I wouldn't mind it as much, but when a thread goes into that direction, it becomes difficult to jump in with your two cents even if you write a long-ass post about what you think.

I mean, Corvo knows I don't like FF4 and don't care as much about FF6 like everyone else does. I'm one of the 3 people here who likes FF2. Everyone else knows that. I say my piece, they say theirs. Beef laughs and trolls a bit and we know we shouldn't take him seriously. We just agree to disagree because we all know what we like and what we dislike.

By the way, I kinda like badcrumble's idea of just talking about the pros/cons of something because just listing stuff is just boring because you're not providing any explanation of why you'd list something the way you would. That's why list / ranking / voting threads are frowned upon here: they don't provide any discussion whatsoever other than a tick on your post count or if someone responds to you and says, "lol, what" or "yeah, I agree". If you actually justify your choices, you won't be met with an "lol, what" or a simple "I agree with you". You'd have to put substantive justification behind your choices and then discussion can branch off from something that you've said as opposed to a simple ranking.

So that's my two cents. Carry on if you'd like, I guess.

I will drop the argument(And I do apologize for having ressurrected the argument after he gave the inclination to stop, I had more things to say and I couldnt resist to answer back) but I think you are being a little unfair, if you start from the beginning you will see that it was not me who started being overly aggressive, in fact I never even insulted anyone unlike the person I was arguing with.(I do not argue for the sake of my ego btw, I like to talk about things I am passionate about)
In that very same post where I posted my rankings, I also posted a fairly detailed thing about why I love FF6 and briefly even why I liked FF2.
I thought posting my rankings was a good idea as my first post here so people would know what's my stance on the FF games(as a sort of an introduction, see bolded part, that was what I had in mind with the rankings, I feel silly for having made the joke that my rankings were supposed to create discussion but I felt a little bit attacked when you guys started tearing apart an action that had little intention behind it, it was sort of a hi there, happy to be here talking about FF games. And hey maybe it was my fault for not having made that clear, I am not trying to play "victim", I know that I am not blameless in this unfortunate ordeal), not only do I hold them in very high regard(even FF1 at the bottom of the list is a game I love) but many of the entries are equals in my mind. I didnt originally post that to start up some kind of flame war or whatever, I guess I could have gone the extra mile to say why I put the games in that order but sorry it just didn't come to mind at the time.

I would also like to add that I am not very experienced here on the website, I only started posting a few weeks ago and my knowledge of previous discussions is fairly limited. Usually I don't see arguments about the FF XIII games. Usually I see unbelievable vile hatred and overwhelming negativity with no actual debate being done(not saying it was the case here in this thread) and I wanted to see actual discussion being made on these games. Im sorry if I did not read the past 2 years of gaf discussion, I already spend a lot of time here daily and even in that time I hadnt seen much actual discussion on those games and it's already hard to follow the threads I like as it stands, it would be kind of impossible to go back.

With that said, I hope we can put this behind us and move on, I have no intention of clinging to the past and I hope you don't hold any grudges and personal bias against me either.

It may be corny but it's the best scene in the game and I thought it was awesome. The music set the mood as well. Second best scene is getting to Zanarkand and walking that long road.

Which isn't long enough.

Agreed, that was a very powerful moment, especially with that awesome song playing(Someday the dream will end/Fleeting Dream).

Red Mage

Oh man, differently from what I expected I must say the writing in FFX is absolutely worse than anything I've seen in the full FFXIII trilogy. The events themselves are also not that well paced, with important story moments crowded together every 10 steps sometimes while next leaving you almost an hour alone without anything important happening.

As for the voice acting...we know this already, absolutely terrible -.-'

They also ruined Yuna & Tidus'faces in this HD remaster :\

Sounds like FFXIII to me. = P

I'm one of the 3 people here who likes FF2.

I like 2 DoS and afterwards. The original can go flump a stump, though. Losing stats when you level up. -_-;

Which isn't long enough.

It should have been longer and A Fleeting Dream shouldn't have been played until that moment.

Darkmakaimura

I need advice....

Who should I be using right now? I currently am at Costa Del Sol and am about to leave the town. I just beat the first weird Jenova creature on the ship. My party currently consists of Cloud, Tifa and Red XIII. Are these good choices or should I go with a different team?

I need advice....

Who should I be using right now? I currently am at Costa Del Sol and am about to leave the town. I just beat the first weird Jenova creature on the ship. My party currently consists of Cloud, Tifa and Red XIII. Are these good choices or should I go with a different team?

It all depends on which limit breaks you like. Aside from maybe Aeris, you can pretty much have any character fill any slot because of the materia system.

Darkmakaimura

I know I'm being an insufferable pest but another question.... This one is in regards to Advent Children Complete.

Does the American version AC Complete come with the Reminiscence of Final Fantasy VII Compilation and does it really show you all the different games from the compilation?

Even though Final Fantasy is my favorite series, I'm ashamed to say I have still never played FFII and III (JP) - the only two mainlines games I haven't played. They didn't release outside of Japan until some time in the past few years, and at the time, I didn't have a way to play them (no PSP or DS). Well, I could have played FFII on the PS1 I guess with FF Origins, but.. anyways. I want to play the PSP and DS remakes of those two games at some point, but to be honest, they are low on my priority list/backlog. From what all I've heard about those games (especially FFII), they do not sound like games I would enjoy. :( I suppose that's not entirely fair to judge them prior to playing, but you constantly hear in FF discussions how they are probably the two worst games in the series. *shrug* I will play them eventually! Maybe I'll like them more than I think.

Ultratech

Hahaha!

The logic in the original FF2 basically went like this:
More Spirit = Less Strength
More Strength = Less Intelligence
More Intelligence = Less Spirit

Raising one of those stats could cause one the corresponding stats to go down.

Thus, you pretty much had to choose a specific build for each character or have very wonky stat ranges.

Noi

This goes against my plan of getting more people to play ARR, but I figured I may as well put the PS4 beta to use.

FFXIV:ARR - Battle At the Big Bridge (Click the HD icon or else it looks like poop)

MjVSM9v.jpg

Picked up from where I left off since October in FFXIII, 38 hours in and on Chapter 12. Anyway, is Vanille the main character in this game? Like literally everything that happens in the game revolves around her, she even narrates the story. Lightning is only the main character because of the whole Serah thing I guess.

Picked up from where I left off since October in FFXIII, 38 hours in and on Chapter 12. Anyway, is Vanille the main character in this game? Like literally everything that happens in the game revolves around her, she even narrates the story. Lightning is only the main character because of the whole Serah thing I guess.

I consider Vanille and Fang to be the true main characters of XIII. The entire story hinges on them as characters from basically the beginning until the end. Lightning isn't truly the main character until the 3rd game, tbh. She is barely in FFXIII-2 for all of like 10 minutes.

I consider Vanille and Fang to be the true main characters of XIII. The entire story hinges on them as characters from basically the beginning until the end. Lightning isn't truly the main character until the 3rd game, tbh. She is barely in FFXIII-2 for all of like 10 minutes.
So then Lightning is like Vann until Lightning Returns.. I wonder why they didn't just go with Vanille or Fang from the very beginning.

So then Lightning is like Vann until Lightning Returns.. I wonder why they didn't just go with Vanille or Fang from the very beginning.

Lightning is the main character simply because she's far easier to market as a main character, imo. That tough, loner-type character people seem to love. For me, Lightning was rather unlikable for 75% of XIII (she was just mean). I started to not mind her quite as much toward the end, but I still preferred Vanille and Fang as characters. I know some people despise Vanille, but I really liked her, lol.

Vanille was originally considered to be the main character by the creators own admission. The only reason Lightning is "officially" the main character is because "We already showed her first (talking about the reveal trailer), we don't want to confuse people". Vanille is for all intents and purposes the main character in every way but marketing, that's why the revisionist bullcrap they pulled for LR was so hilarious because it read as if they didn't know their own damn story.

Lightning is the main character simply because she's far easier to market as a main character, imo. That tough, loner-type character people seem to love. For me, Lightning was rather unlikable for 75% of XIII (she was just mean). I started to not mind her quite as much toward the end, but I still preferred Vanille and Fang as characters. I know some people despise Vanille, but I really liked her, lol.

Vanille was originally considered to be the main character by the creators own admission. The only reason Lightning is "officially" the main character is because "We already showed her first (talking about the reveal trailer), we don't want to confuse people". Vanille is for all intents and purposes the main character in every way but marketing, that's why the revisionist bullcrap they pulled for LR was so hilarious because it read as if they didn't know their own damn story.
Interesting.. To be honest I don't even know if I want to finish the XIII-Trilogy but I mean I'm not far from beating XIII... might as well just play them all at this point.

Interesting.. To be honest I don't even know if I want to finish the XIII-Trilogy but I mean I'm not far from beating XIII... might as well just play them all at this point.

Well, it really depends how much fun you have with the games if you should keep playing. Even though they have a TON of flaws, I had some fun with the trilogy (mostly from the battle system). There were a few interesting ideas in the XIII trilogy, but frankly, the execution was pretty poor sometimes.

Prototype

After playing through X/X-2 HD, I was on a nostalgia kick and picked up a copy of FF12 and dusted off the good old PS2, ready for a night of wonderful gaming bliss.

Then disc that gamestop sold me doesn't work. My other ps2 games work fine. I can't find another copy around where I live and, needless to say, I'm pretty pissed. fucking gamestop "guaranteed to work" my ass. So, that pretty much sapped my will to play anything tonight. I'm beyond angry right now.

After playing through X/X-2 HD, I was on a nostalgia kick and picked up a copy of FF12 and dusted off the good old PS2, ready for a night of wonderful gaming bliss.

Then disc that gamestop sold me doesn't work. My other ps2 games work fine. I can't find another copy around where I live and, needless to say, I'm pretty pissed. fucking gamestop "guaranteed to work" my ass. So, that pretty much sapped my will to play anything tonight. I'm beyond angry right now.

Damn that sucks. :(

I kind of want to replay FFXII at some point as well, but... I'm holding off in case they make a HD version of the Zodiac edition, lol. Would be nice, but... I dunno if they will. I think Sony requires you to bundle games with HD remasters, and I can't think of any game they could actually bundle with FFXII. The DS game wouldn't transfer over very well obviously. Maybe a remaster of Crisis Core? lol, I dunno.

Well, it really depends how much fun you have with the games if you should keep playing. Even though they have a TON of flaws, I had some fun with the trilogy (mostly from the battle system). There were a few interesting ideas in the XIII trilogy, but frankly, the execution was pretty poor sometimes.
I had tons of fun with the battle system, it was just engaging and satisfying to stagger enemies so if it wasn't drastically changed in XIII-2 or LR, then I guess I'll play them.

For me, Lightning was rather unlikable for 75% of XIII (she was just mean). I started to not mind her quite as much toward the end, but I still preferred Vanille and Fang as characters. I know some people despise Vanille, but I really liked her, lol.

Final Fantasy XIII is... a weird beast for me when it comes to the characters. I first played it back when I was an angsty 15 year old who was able to relate to the angsty Hope and pissed off Lightning. I also liked Sazh. I hated Snow, couldn't stand Serah (about the only thing that hasn't changed... though I dislike her for different reasons now), didn't like Vanille, was okay with Fang. However, now that I'm older, my perspective has changed. I find Hope to be a raging, homicidal dumbass who I can't stand; find Snow to be a good guy (bit of a dumbass, cliched, and a little annoying... but the guy really just wants what is best for everyone. I'm kinda like "You're a stand up guy, you big lug... just cut the hero bull and stop with the Serah stuff"); have come around to liking Fang (she just has no fucks to give for most of the story and its refreshing when everyone else is on the brink all the time. She might not be the most consistent, but at least she is a break from the melodrama); like Sazh pretty well still ; and am fine with Vanille. Lightning is... eh? I mean, I still like her in XIII but I can now see why a lot of people wouldn't. Despite what the writers say now, what I always took from XIII was that Lightning's character arc was for her to realize that she wasn't "super mature soldier extraordinare" like she really thought she was, which is why I can accept that Lightning really wasn't a good person for about 40% of the game. She came around, realized she was wrong, and changed. But yeah, I can really see why a lot of people wouldn't like that.

Well, how do you like XIII so far?
The battle system is great, it's one of the best things about the game. The corridors are endless but Gran Pulse was a breath of fresh air, of course it's back to corridors now that I'm in Cocoon again. As for the characters.. Lightning is just average, Snow is okay, Hope is good, Sazh is just a joke at this point, Fang is cool, and Vanille is not completely terrible.

In short, the battle system and music are great, characters are nothing special, and the world is just a long ass corridor.

The battle system is great, it's one of the best things about the game. The corridors are endless but Gran Pulse was a breath of fresh air, of course it's back to corridors now that I'm in Cocoon again. As for the characters.. Lightning is just average, Snow is okay, Hope is good, Sazh is just a joke at this point, Fang is cool, and Vanille is not completely terrible.

In short, the battle system and music are great, characters are nothing special, and the world is just a long ass corridor.

How are you liking the story?

I ask as it's kinda hard to decide whether or not to recommend playing XIII-2 or LR since they are so different.

And yeah, poor Sazh.

Top Bottom