• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

SougoXIII

edit: also @SougoXIII, and Holy:

edit2:mad:SougoXIII I'm past the part you spoilered. After the rescuing her but before going to bujerba, you have time to do what you want. I took the party and caught up on all my hunts and did a little exploring. Now in Bujerba, I went through the mines, but before that explored the town and got new equipment. It seems like you are complaining about normal RPG progress. Town, explore, fight, repeat. I mean, what else is there to do? It's an RPG? Do you level the same complaints at other FF games because they have the same basic formula? Also, neither of those dungeons took an hour to complete. You get breaks between them. (both narrative and exploratory) I may not be remembering everything correctly, but on this point I am. I don't feel as if your complaint measures up to the reality of the game at this point. Or RPGs in general, you are complaining because the game is providing you with dungeons to play through?

Well, I just done those recently and Nalbuna at least took me quite a while to get through at a normal pace (+ plus the fact that I am over-leveled to make the progress faster.) The problem I have with the game is that it's using dungeons to string along it's plot points together when it's plot is freaking long and there are numerous 'dungeons' along the way. I don't level the same complain with - let's say FFX's temples because A: there are only 5 of them in the main plot. B: they're noncombat puzzle segment that could be done in 10-15mins if you don't care about the Destruction Sphere.

Seda

edit: also @SougoXIII, and Holy:

I don't remember 100% but, is this the part where you first enter the woods and do Fran backstory stuff or is this the revisit.

Those story events happen before you head to Archades, and Eruyt village is on the other side of the map ;p.

Falk

that puzzling face
re: XII and linearity, I think someone described it best when they said XII felt like an MMO in a single player game.

It certainly did feel a little like it at that point of time.

Prototype

re: XII and linearity, I think someone described it best when they said XII felt like an MMO in a single player game.

It certainly did feel a little like it at that point of time.

I think this is why I like it. It's very hands on, but you get into a rhythm in the fights. It's the battle rhythm in 12 that makes it extra good.

Recently fell back in love with the FF series after picking up FFIX again on my vita and starting a playthrough for the first time since the game launched haha. I forgot howm uch of an absolute rush the 2nd disc is.

After the pretty epic showdown in Burmecia at the end of disc 1, you go to the amazing Cleyra just to see Odin summoned and obliterate it, escape to Alexandria to save Garnett from being Sacrificed and see Freya, Steiner and Beatrix team together in an absolutely awesome sequence, plus Marcus and Blanke bailing you out!, then witness the entire industrial district of lindblum being eaten by Atma (?) from the safety of Pinnacle Rock.
I honestly played for like 4 hours and it felt like the high bar the story reached at the end of disc one did not let up at all, really really good. At Madain Sari now, I just love everything about this game. The locations and characters, the music, everything gives me the feels haha.

Nothing else to add, just wanted to share how great a time I'm having haha :)

Atma (?)

Nothing else to add, just wanted to share how great a time I'm having haha :)

Atomos :))

Yep that portion of the game is incredible. I love it when the FF games escalate. I felt quite the same about FFVIII after Disc 1. And I just played the portion of FFX between Macalania and the Calm Lands. Things escalate very quickly there as well.
:))

Atomos :))

Yep that portion of the game is incredible. I love it when the FF games escalate. I felt quite the same about FFVIII after Disc 1. And I just played the portion of FFX between Macalania and the Calm Lands. Things escalate very quickly there as well.
:))

Haha Atomos, there we go! For sure, really gives you a sustained high :D I'm in such a good mood with the game as a result, I don't even really mind sitting around grinding to catch Eiko up to the rest of the party in terms of abilities learned. I think I'm going to run with either FFX or XII next, need to make up my mind what version of X HD I want to get first though haha, I can't decide. I think I'm erring towards vita though, just because IK'm having such a good time with IX on it.

Haha Atomos, there we go! For sure, really gives you a sustained high :D I'm in such a good mood with the game as a result, I don't even really mind sitting around grinding to catch Eiko up to the rest of the party in terms of abilities learned. I think I'm going to run with either FFX or XII next, need to make up my mind what version of X HD I want to get first though haha, I can't decide. I think I'm erring towards vita though, just because IK'm having such a good time with IX on it.

When I've finished X and X-2 HD I'm very seriously considering running XII through PSCX2 in HD. Looks amazing, and I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for Square to get round to a HD release. XII is still the only FF (post VI) I've only completed once.

Holykael1

Banned
When I've finished X and X-2 HD I'm very seriously considering running XII through PSCX2 in HD. Looks amazing, and I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for Square to get round to a HD release. XII is still the only FF (post VI) I've only completed once.

You can also play the Zodiac version of it because there is a translation patch for it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Basically finished Macalania and the game pulls the area skip maneuver crap by giving all your characters a blurry seizure and I land in a desert. Thanks game. Grump grump

Bad design tips: Build linear designed game. Make blackout scene to transition from icy place to hot desert which is on a secluded island. Character placement also interesting.

And they stole mah summoner.

The good ending of X-2 is unbelievably stupid and almost ruins the ending of X.
"Hey Fayth can you please bring Tidus back?" "Yeah, sure."

Also I still don't like new Yuna or Rikku. Especially Rikku.

Prototype

making my way through the game, man, this is harder then I remember. I've had to come up with actual strategies to take down some of the recent bosses. Most FF games I can just do whatever I want as long as someone is spamming cure. Not so in 12. I'm liking that.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's how I feel about the Elder Scrolls (single player) games.

Sure, if the MMOs you've been playing had the gameplay depth of an oven tray filled with duck urine.

Oh hey let's make combat pretty much a case of big stick hit big stick and whoever's stick is bigger wins. And make the final boss pretty much a trash mob with about 3x the HP.

HeelPower

Mii'hen road is a really boring part for now, almost 40 minutes of corridor (in a more extreme way than anything I've seen in XIII, at least "visually" this last one tried to mix things up thanks to the power of "graphics x style") and super frequent battles (higher encounter rate here?).

I also don't feel for now this "more" gameplay-focus compared to XIII, if anything for now looks and plays very similar, except everything is more slow all around. What XIII does definitely better is pacing, cutting away alot of the boring stuff from it (encounters are less and few, battles faster, menus and systems visually more simple to manage, cutting on loadings between changing locations ect.). I really see XIII as an evolution of X for now. Well except for the sidequests that were really few in XIII but I must also add to this that too many things are missable in FFX without a guide, and I usually don't like games that don't make things clear before moving on (for example I can't revisit the first two temples for now to collect the chests I missed). A game should make its rules clear for the player and FFX forgets this continuesly with arbitrary rules changed constantly. This is a case of bad design.

Oh man, differently from what I expected I must say the writing in FFX is absolutely worse than anything I've seen in the full FFXIII trilogy. The events themselves are also not that well paced, with important story moments crowded together every 10 steps sometimes while next leaving you almost an hour alone without anything important happening.

As for the voice acting...we know this already, absolutely terrible -.-'

They also ruined Yuna & Tidus'faces in this HD remaster :\

I was making comparisons because XIII and X are very often compared, infact I'm not even mentioning any other entries in the series. The two titles share similar intentions and game design so it's easy to talk about them with straight comparisons.
I'm now in mushroom rock (or how it is called), game is really clunky but that's got alot to do with – like you said – the game being old more than anything. But it's interesting nonetheless for me seeing how much my memories are foggy after so many years. I thought FFX could be a better game than XIII, and when I started it again it seemed like that. But soon after I left Besaid Island I must say things are getting quite worse than what I remembered. I like the remastered soundtrack though, helps that Hamauzu is my favorite composer at S-E and that he is taking care of all of it this time. Great music indeed.

This is so absolutely delusional and wrong and it also seems like FFXIII was your first game in the series or something.

Talking about pacing ? Do you realise how fucking long the gaprawhitewood was ?

How long and intensely boring was the vile peaks ? The Fifth ark ? The palamecia ?

The endless fight,after fight with nothing in between except bouts of awkwardly timed and misplaced melodrama ????

You being not invested in the story doesn't mean the writing is bad at all.You fail(or not care) to notice how brilliantly the game sprinkles real character and world development every step of the way.

There is NO way the Mi'ihen highroad/mushroom rockroad extends for 40 minutes with nothing major happening.Operation Mi'ihen ??? plenty of surrogate charcters introduced such as Emma, Lucil , clasko, calli , maechen, shilla all leaading to huge event in the history of crusaders ?

Try playing through the gaprawhitewoods and tell me how it compares to Mi'ihen highroad.

Its hope and lightning running through an empty, sterile corridor doing nothing but remembering birthdays and starting operation Nora(yeah see the difference there.. a world changing event in FFX vs a pointless arc in FFXIII against snow)

You really need to replay FFXIII before making these outrageous claims.

SougoXIII

There is NO way the Mi'ihen highroad/mushroom rockroad extends for 40 minutes with nothing major happening.Operation Mi'ihen ??? plenty of surrogate charcters introduced such as Emma, Lucil , clasko, calli , maechen, shilla all leaading to huge event in the history of crusaders?

Not only that, Mi'hen also reveal how
despicable Yevon truly is. They give the Crusader false hope while knowing full well hundreds of people are going to die for absolutely nothing. The Crusaders died in vain, only to reinforce people's belief in Yevon, consolidate their power even more. It made me sick in my stomach when you talked to the survivor of Mi'hen and found them broken in body and spirit, dragging themselves back Yevon because they have nowhere else to go.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This is so absolutely delusional and wrong and it also seems like FFXIII was your first game in the series or something.

Talking about pacing ? Do you realise how fucking long the gaprawhitewood was ?

How long and intensely boring was the vile peaks ? The Fifth ark ? The palamecia ?

The endless fight,after fight with nothing in between except bouts of awkwardly timed and misplaced melodrama ????

You being not invested in the story doesn't mean the writing is bad at all.You fail(or not care) to notice how brilliantly the game sprinkles real character and world development every step of the way.

There is NO way the Mi'ihen highroad/mushroom rockroad extends for 40 minutes with nothing major happening.Operation Mi'ihen ??? plenty of surrogate charcters introduced such as Emma, Lucil , clasko, calli , maechen, shilla all leaading to huge event in the history of crusaders ?

Try playing through the gaprawhitewoods and tell me how it compares to Mi'ihen highroad.

Its hope and lightning running through an empty, sterile corridor doing nothing but remembering birthdays and starting operation Nora(yeah see the difference there.. a world changing event in FFX vs a pointless arc in FFXIII against snow)

You really need to replay FFXIII before making these outrageous claims.

First you must know that my comments are usually not final but updated with time depending on my impressions going on with it. I'm now at the Temple of Macalania and I must say I'm enjoyining the game lots more than before, pacing grew better that's for sure. Just one thing though: linearity for the most of it is even more pronunced than XIII, except here there are more pauses to break it (little INNs or villages that is), but level design is even more straight-forward. Story's charming and lovely but in my opinion in XII and XIII writers finally approached the topic (of writing in gaming that is) in a more professional manner. In FFX events are many and discountinued, for the sake of impressing the player or moving (fast-paced) the plot forward, it ends up now flowing always naturally. In XIII events are a bit more connected to each other and things progress more naturally and with better pacing. But I guess that's only natural to expect after 10 yrs of experience in writing and directing.

Overall I'm having real fun with FFX after so many years. And man the graphics in this HD are amazing, sometimes doesn't even look like a two-gen old game. Can't wait to try X-2, a game I never finished because at the time I didn't like it...

ST2K

making my way through the game, man, this is harder then I remember. I've had to come up with actual strategies to take down some of the recent bosses. Most FF games I can just do whatever I want as long as someone is spamming cure. Not so in 12. I'm liking that.

Very much agree. It's kind of refreshing to have a challenging Final Fantasy.

----

So I'm about 20 hours in to FFXII, and I'd say it's "clicked" for me now. Battle system is fun, and the story is really different. I mean that in a good way; it's fun to see a Final Fantasy with a different approach to narrative.

The only thing I still haven't clicked with is the music. This is the first one without Uematsu, right? Maybe that's why I'm not digging it that much.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've reached the Calm Lands. Huge mostly empty area with various sidequests to do.

In XIII you reach Gran Pulse also a huge area with various sidequests to do.

The utter similarities are stunning.

Yojimbo is pretty boss though.

So I'm about 20 hours in to FFXII, and I'd say it's "clicked" for me now. Battle system is fun, and the story is really different. I mean that in a good way; it's fun to see a Final Fantasy with a different approach to narrative.

The only thing I still haven't clicked with is the music. This is the first one without Uematsu, right? Maybe that's why I'm not digging it that much.

It's real good. Have you played/do you plan on playing the war of the lions?

Still trucking away on FFIX, on disc 3 now. It's amazing how well this game has held up. I thought when I started playing I'd have to accept some concessions, but not really at all. It's amazing that I played this when I was 13, 13 years later I'm replaying for the first time and I'm having just as good a time, if not more. I appreciate it for how damn good it was back then.

Falk

that puzzling face
Very much agree. It's kind of refreshing to have a challenging Final Fantasy.

----

It's the first in the mainline series without Uematsu*, while X is the first featuring other composers alongside Uematsu.

It's definitely very different in that it's almost purely orchestral-based and tied quite heavily to the entire aesthetic of FFTactics. Which means if you appreciated Uematsu's approach the change is probably going to be quite startling. Personally, I enjoyed it for the exact same reason people like FFXII for other things - it's definitely a welcome change of pace. (And I can't help but feel that some of the stuff from FFVII-X really felt phoned in alongside the outstanding tracks, but maybe that's just me)

p.s. if there's any one soundtrack from the franchise begging for a touch-up or arrange album or simply a live concert recording featuring select tracks, it's FFXII's with a live orchestra.

*edit: Gonna preemptively state the obvious that this is, of course, if you don't count rearrangements of things like the main theme, Chocobo music, crystal prelude and some nods like Battle on the Big Bridge, etc.

ST2K

It's real good. Have you played/do you plan on playing the war of the lions?

I played the original Tactics tons when I was younger. Haven't played War of the Lions though, despite having a copy thanks to PS+.

It's the first in the mainline series without Uematsu*, while X is the first featuring other composers alongside Uematsu.

It's definitely very different in that it's almost purely orchestral-based and tied quite heavily to the entire aesthetic of FFTactics. Which means if you appreciated Uematsu's approach the change is probably going to be quite startling. Personally, I enjoyed it for the exact same reason people like FFXII for other things - it's definitely a welcome change of pace. (And I can't help but feel that some of the stuff from FFVII-X really felt phoned in alongside the outstanding tracks, but maybe that's just me)

Alright. I don't think I'd mind a different approach to the soundtrack, it's just that I haven't encountered one memorable track outside of the game's main theme. It's kind of a bummer, but maybe there will be some late game pieces that I enjoy.

I played the original Tactics tons when I was younger. Haven't played War of the Lions though, despite having a copy thanks to PS+.

Nice, I played the original too and briefly had the war of the lions version on psp. If you're really into FFXII you should hunt down Crimson Shroud on the 3DS if you have one :) not even nearly the same scale of game but Matsuno! I hope Unsung Story delivers.

Think when I finish up FFIX, I'm going to do a replay of both FFT then FFXII. Even considering FFTA2 (since I have that sitting here unplayed since it came out haha) and Revenant Wings if I still have the enthusiasm once I'm all the way through. Should keep me busy for a good while then maybe I'll have the funds to move onto Bravely Default or the X remaster.

And oh man, I played through Mount Gulug last night haha, I love the theme song for that area!

Prototype

@ST2K

I think the music gets better as the game goes on. I do like how they nailed the opening theme though, one of the best versions of it.

Also, I think hiring theatre level actors for the voice cast was a great idea:

During the English localization process, Alexander O. Smith, who had previously worked on Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy X, acted as producer and translator.[69] While still preserving the meaning behind the Japanese script, Smith made the decision to use different dialects of English to reproduce the regional differences in pronunciation found in the Japanese version.[70][71] He also tried to distance the game from the "flat reads" found in other dubbed work by casting voice actors who had experience in theatre work.[71]
wiki

The way Fran delivers some of her lines still sends chills up my spine. Or the nonchalant way Baltheir delivers his, on top of the measured timing they give pauses and starts to emphasize both humor and seriousness. The gulf that separates FFX and FFXII is gigantic imo.

kaitain19

After seeing all the criticisms for Final Fantasy XIII and its comparison with X I have to wonder: do you think XIII trilogy would be rated higher (and more accepted by the fans) if the gameplay is closer to a traditional Final Fantasy?

After seeing all the criticisms for Final Fantasy XIII and its comparison with X I have to wonder: do you think XIII trilogy would be rated higher (and more accepted by the fans) if the gameplay is closer to a traditional Final Fantasy?

I don't know. XIII could be better in terms of it's gameplay for sure, but in general, I think the X HD rerelease has taught me that people actually wouldn't have minded XIII that much if they had delivered on the story. I think it's much more the incoherent story, characters and lore that doesn't give XIII the pass where X gets one, given that when you compare they're not that different in some of the things XIII has been criticised for gameplaywise; lack of towns, linear and so on. This is an opinion with hindsight though, it's hard to know how XIII would have been received had z thing or y thing been different. Maybe with a glorious story, there were still too much cuts and people would have been unhappy regardless.

Falk

that puzzling face
Nope. XIII combat (after it opened up) was/is one of the high points (or saving graces) for a good portion of the people who played it.

kaitain19

Nope. XIII combat (after it opened up) was/is one of the high points (or saving graces) for a good portion of the people who played it.

I'm not saying I hate XIII's battle system, I just think the party management could've been applied in the earlier chapters. I never really like how you could only play as Lightning, Snow, and Vanille in chapter 3 even though Sazh and Hope was available.

Noi

The problem with that particular hypothetical is that you have to clearly establish a cut-off point for it. Would this alternate FF13 have a more traditional battle system, but still have a tutorial about it that lasts almost the entire game? Would it still arbitrarily lock and change your party without rhyme or reason while taking way too long to just let you use whoever you want? Would mechanics and sub-systems still take hours upon hours before being fully available to be used by the player?

Eve changing the battle system alone wouldn't address the myriad of other issues people have with the game. Hell, your hypothetical would actually change the one thing people generally like about FF13, smaller critiques about how it works non-withstanding.

Levyne

Banned
I hate to constantly circle the X-XIII conversations in here, but one of XIII's major sticking points is that it shackles you for far too long, gameplay wise. Manufacturing which character gets to lead and your party is fixed, capped crystarium and limited paradigms for a hue swath of the game. If it unbound your hands in chapter 4 or 5 and not 11, I personally would have liked it a lot more.

On a side note, Last Mission is blowing my mind. It's like the combination of Dark Cloud and Digimon World 2 that I never knew I wanted. I don't play these types of games often so I apologize if there's a more obvious comparison that I am missing that is making me look silly. There's so much tension and strategy and it can get really tough at times. Item management is very frustrating but I think it's part of the experience.

I'm on the "thunder" plains in FFX, and i've been really having a blast with the game (i encourage myself to use everyone on the party each battle, and i don't get bored with it, even though the random encounter rate is high...)

I don't know, my memories didn't betrayed me with this game, it's been amazing...

Fou-Lu

Only one more game in my playthrough of Final Fantasy before I can play X HD. Luckily IX is an amazing game and I can't wait to play it.

kaitain19

Speaking of X, I'm currently playing FFX HD and I'm using the expert Sphere Grid. Is it alright if I make Kimahri into a mage? Or is he better as a fighter?

Speaking of X, I'm currently playing FFX HD and I'm using the expert Sphere Grid. Is it alright if I make Kimahri into a mage? Or is he better as a fighter?

Don't do it. I made the mistake of making him a mage on my very first playthrough of FFX back when it released, and it was terrible. I almost wasn't able to beat a certain set of bosses later in the game because of it, lol. Send him down Wakka's path. You can also wait until you get a level 1 key and grab Steal/Use from Rikku's grid and then go into Wakka's after. It's nice having someone who can Steal so early in the game.

Almost all of his Overdrives use his Magic stat. Personally, I sent him down Rikku's path to get Steal/Use, then sent him down the last half of Yuna's path for healing.

RocBase

I honestly don't think so, its problems go beyond just the gameplay. I personally never liked FFX for the very same reasons why I hate FFXIII, the latter however was just that much worse because its characters and storyline weren't engaging to me at all. X at the very least seemed promising at the beginning until I just got tired of it.

Finished my FFIX replay! 12 days on the clock, very very satisfied. The game does taper off a little on disc 3 (and disc 4 is really just there for you to finish up), mostly because there's very few new and exciting places to visit, but overall, what a fantastic game (still!). It just gushes with great art design, and really makes every new locale and character a joy to experience. The whole first half of disc two really takes the cake too in terms of bringing up the pace off the back of the end of Disc 1 and just going gaga with it, I was barrelling through those story points, just wanting to see what was next and *one more story segment before bed* and so on haha. I wouldn't mind a general remaster of the game for handheld. It looked great on vita but it could use some cleaning up, resizing etc., but I think overall it's aged fantastically. I really think it's between IX and XII for my favourite of the mainline series, but I really need to replay XII and VI before I can be sure, it's been so long since I played either as well and you never know how you're going to feel after so many years.

Replay of XII up next to see how I feel about that now (and first time playing the IZJS), and I started a fresh shot of FFT on my vita too. Good times! The general idea right now is these will keep me going all the way through April and then I may join everyone playing the FFX remaster, or I might just go for Bravely Default instead haha.

Levyne

Banned
So since it launched in the states, I've been playing FFX and X-2 near daily x_x

I'm finally done!

I went in really familiar with FFX. I had played it maybe 3 previous times back in middle school and high school. I was actually introduced to Final Fantasy through this game. I bet that line has some people's alarm bells going off, and maybe they should. One of the major fundraisers for my middle school actually involved magazine sales. Of course, I decided to subscribe to the gaming-related ones. The short of it is that not long after, with one of the issues I got a PS2 demo disk in the mail. The two demos I ended up putting the most time into were FFX and ICO. I've still never played the later in full, haha. It feels needlessly dramatic, but that little demo disk...who knows where I would be now without having run into it.

I really did like FFX a lot. A lot of what I had played before that were either PC FPSes or Nintendo platformers. I think it was the first rpg of any sort that I had ever played, unless you want to count something like Zelda. In a way it was a gateway game into a lot of other titles, including most of the other FF entries, other obvious japanese rpg series like Tales of and tri-Ace's titles. Even got me interested in more "western" rpgs, starting with Knights of the Old Republic (the Star Wars license helped convince freshman-high school me, haha) and then into Fallout, other Bestheda titles, Diablo, Baldurs gate, NOX, Guild Wars. And I also grew to love Intelligent Systems and MonolithSoft rpg entries as well. And I am just now getting back into first person shooters, and I hardly ever play platformers anymore, while still introducing myself to new rpgs with companies such as Falcom and, maybe soon, Gust. So those are the circumstances upon which I revisited FFX. I've broaden my experiences since then, so I was unsure how much I would enjoy it now.

I don't want to write a review, everyone here is familiar with the game. There's something that I really enjoyed and still enjoy about the simplicity of the primary gameplay of FFX. The game doesn't introduce layers in a needlessly obtuse way. No rows, no time gauge. One weapon and one armor. I don't know a good way to rationalize enjoying it without coming across like some sort of simpleton, but I guess I will try. It's very nice to be able to have everything at your fingertips from the get go. There's really nothing to learn about using the system itself. Instead, everything you learn and the strategies you put into place is entirely in response to what you encounter in the game. I suppose the one exception of this is the ability to "stock" overdrives for a difficult encounter, the strategy that even the most clueless of people know to give a go if they are having trouble. It's just too bad the game is simply too easy for the most part. I didn't really run into anything sweat-inducing until the Gagazet summit boss. Some bits of the battle system could be quicker. Guarding takes just ever so slightly too long for its intended use, and backing out of a menu was also a little slow. I also never really bothered with summons because they both take too long to show up, and by the time I swapped some characters in for training, the battle is practically open anyway.

As an aside, I find myself actually pretty disappointed with the summons, in retrospect. I would have never said this ten years ago, but I sort of wish they just functioned like a sort of spell as in most of the other earlier titles. Teaching aeons most skills and leveling up their stats is a waste of items and time.

I had my first go with the expert sphere grid and actually really liked it a lot. I can't find a similar image for the expert grid, but the standard one just doesn't offer as much freedom as some might be led to believe.

18j2jpksla2twjpg.jpg

(mostly a series of straight lines)

On the expert grid, having the common question of "which way do I take now?" was the good kind of frustrating. Having the additional freedom to make Yuna into a Black Mage, make early game Auron even more powerful, and turn Wakka into a useless tofu chunk was really appreciated. If the customization options for weapons and armor were open a little bit earlier, then I wouldn't have many issues left about character progression at all. The other "new" addition were the Dark Aeons and Penance. I was actually highly disappointed by those. I was going through the typical leveling procedures in anticipation of taking them on, and in the process was fighting Nemesis. During so, I summoned Yojimbo, and accidentally one-shotted the guy. Yep. I then proceeded to do that 5 more times. I don't know what I wanted. The easy solution would just be to not use Yojimbo, but winning with an arm behind your back when you're just keeping your "I win" button pocketed is never fun for me. It's the same reason I don't do No Sphere Grid, or 3-hearts Zelda, etc. I dunno. It's just the way my mind operates. I love tackling hard modes, where I have to use every trick in the book to scrape by and earn a victory, but imposing something of my own design is just never ever as satisfying. I was actually soured a bit on the whole endgame because of this. All those minigames and time at the arena for nothing except trophies, blah.

As for story beats, I guess I didn't feel much of anything. I suppose I was too familiar with every scene and line of dialogue to have much of an opinion. I didn't feel anything particularity good or bad about it. Some of the bits seemed a little ham-fisted, like the scenes at Home, but others I felt nearly as genuinely about as before, such as Operation Mi'ihen and the early events at Kilika. The ending is still something I enjoy. I typically like bitter-sweet endings, and this could have been a perfect place to end this plot-thread, though I am not entirely upset it ended up continuing. Some of the low-polygon models still look fairly bad, but it's not too hard for me to put my expectations in line for a re-master like this. The music differences didn't really hit me negatively or positively. I guess I ended up enjoying the new battle theme, which I suppose is the most important one to come to peace with. All in all, I found myself enjoying the old soundtrack more, but I will never be able to know if it's just due to familiarity or is an actual preference.

FFX-2 I think suffered a little more when it comes to my intial opinions surviving the remaster, haha. The whole looser theme is still a bit jarring, I find myself rolling my eyes whenever the three girls end up high fiving and jumping around all goofy and such. Yuna's new character I can understand, being that she, for the first time in her two decades, can finally live without the weight of the world on her shoulders. I feel like Rikku's ditzy-ness is a little exaggerated for no real reason, though. In X she just seems like a somewhat dim-witted but well meaning younger adult. Now it's all "oopsies poopsies". Just a little bit groan inducing. I love Paine's purpose as a tie for the 3 major other characters, but it doesn't feel like she has much character of her own. But then again, we've don't have as many games to have gotten to know her. It feels like the "Someone's gonna get hurt" persona is unneedlessly cast on her. I find her significantly more enjoyable in later phases of the game when this is less pronounced, and not for reasons of having transitioned to that, if that makes sense. Though no one should be playing "for the story" anyways.

I don't have much to say about the battle system that's too enlightening. It's the most fun the ATB system has been and is maybe my favorite job system. Though I need to replay Tactics Advance because I remember liking that title an unreasonable amount, oddly enough. I just wish I wasn't so obsessed about maxing each dress-sphere before moving on to a new one so that I could have seen more variety, but I won't blame the game for that :p . I do wish the special dresspheres were done somewhat differently. I never used them outside of their introduction. I didn't use the creature creation stuff much. I guess I just didn't find the concept engaging. Or maybe more properly worded, it's not what I seeked out of this game, so I didn't give it much of a look.

X-2 feels like a series of attractions for too long, I think. Do you remember this area? How about this person? This thing? Sell balloons, chase this guy. Here's another minigame. Nothing of any weight happens until the end of Chapter 2. I'm not just talking about story bits, but it's also the first area that isn't a retread of the first game (well, second if you count the new Gagazet area). Then Chapter 3 finally starts to head things in the right direction until the insufferable Chapter 4. Finally the "end-game" of X-2 is significantly stronger than X's. Optional dungeons, including a cool and challenging 100 floor marathon. Minigames such as digging and chocobo catching that actually lead to new encounters.

And X-2 Last Mission blew my mind a little bit. First off, it's actually hard. Well, at least to start out. After 200 hours of coasting through familiar encounters, I suppose something new and different was a little bit of a jolt I needed. It was like the mix of Digimon World 2 and Dark Cloud that I never knew I wanted. The story bits were throw away so I'll just ignore that, other than saying that's mildly disappointing, but not the reason people should try it out in the first place. The Last Mission rewards strategy and planning. You can only carry an absurdly low number of items and it's awesome. You can no longer fall back on the old rpg standby of simply hoarding everything. Anything you pick up has to be important, you have to have a plan for it. You have to know what you have available and you have to know the capabilities of the monsters you're engaging at the moment. I struggled mightily though the first 40 floors, scraping my way, using the room-dividers to always get the proper jump on the enemies. THIS was the sort of difficulty I was looking for and didn't find in the FFX endgame. I had to use absolutely everything available to me in order to progress. I ended up losing a lot of my dressspheres at the floor 40 boss and bit the bullet to use the restart item. I found that both the increased familiarity with the game (as well as the extra levels, never hurts) made the game significantly easier from there. I did, however, look up a guide to find the tonberry room hidden in the top of the tower, and in the process, broke the game balance by using the rewarded copy item to quadruple the level of my main dressphere, but it was fun while it lasted! That trophy as well as the elevator locks every five floors are needlessly obfuscated, so I didn't really having any misgivings about just using a guide for those. The elevators unlock by doing random things such as dropping items and attacking the air, so normally you'd just have to go down the list, which isn't engaging at all. A minor blemish on what was a really fun experience. I also like that the 3 mini bosses on each of the 20 floors is tackled in a slightly different way. I won't go too much into detail since I bet a few other people will be tackling it soon, but I had to use a different strategy for each of them. However, by the time I was at the final boss I was not threatened by the game, so I have no idea at all about how he's supposed to really be tackled.

Both of these titles sit in my top 5 Final Fantasy games. I find myself liking them a lot more than any of the PS1 titles and I'm not really sure why. Some of the tedium in FFX, especially at the end, was more obvious on revisit, and the shallowness of X-2 outside of the primary ATB gameplay was more apparent as well. Last Mission was a really pleasant surprise! I guess that leaves the audio drama...well, it wasn't quite the trainwreck I had expected it to be, but it does feel completely unneeded. It is really interesting that it has an open ending, however. It does have an interesting, more dismissive, viewpoint on the main cast we'd come to know up until that point.

And with that, to not play an RPG for a couple weeks x_x.

...after I finish Dragon Age...and then Dark Souls 2 in a couple weeks haha.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ Hey I was much older and mature as a gamer, but that 2001 era of demo discs was a magical time for the medium. Not a bad time to jump in at all. FFX and Ico were important demos for me too.

Hey ,that was a great write-up man and very interesting. I'm a big fan of FFX, but it's not one of the games I gravitate towards as a favourite, so it's interesting seeing you extrapolate your feelings on it and see what someone who prefers it to some of my favourites thinks, in both pros and cons. Very cool. You mentioned your top five, what are the other three, out of interest?

Levyne

Banned
FXII, Tactics, Tactics Advance.

I also really like VIII, my favorite of the PS1 mainline games. So it might be a top six if I can't decide on what to cut :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FXII, Tactics, Tactics Advance.

I also really like VIII, my favorite of the PS1 mainline games. So it might be a top six if I can't decide on what to cut :p
The fact that you started with X but went back to appreciate older ones makes you good people. I also like VIII the best of PS1 and have a love of the Matsuno games.

Does VI get love?

Top Bottom