• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Levyne

Banned
To my memory, I thought the sequel was okay. I dunno, it felt really "big" compared to the first game. The first game had a good amount of stuff to do, a pretty wide selection of missions, and I found fun to replay once or twice. The sequel just seemed like "more everything" and after playing it once I never really had the desire to do it again. Having significantly weaker narrative hurts it, even if only a little bit. I also didn't care for the added classes and jobs and the new auction thing. But at its core it's more Tactics Advance, which is good.

SougoXIII

The sequel is ok but it wasn't as great as the original. They took out the law system to implement a unremarkable clan bonus system which you can just ignore. They also remove the mythril combos which sucks. Also Luso is just annoying and terrible when compare to Marche.

A2 is only bad when compare to Advances, it's more FF Tactics sure but I only get to the 30 hours mark before dropping it.

Wazzy

Banned
Sequel is realllllllllly bad. The law system will literally fault you on ridiculous shit. "Don't do over 50 damage or penalty!" ugh.

Heropon

Sequel is realllllllllly bad. The law system will literally fault you on ridiculous shit. "Don't do over 50 damage or penalty!" ugh.

Those situations are really rare and the only penalty is that you can't revive. It's hardly an issue compared to a certain game that can have three laws at once.

CorvoSol

Brofist. Tactics Advance 2 is completely ruined by its awful version of the Law system. In TA1 the Law system required you to strategize and you had the ability to alter the Law in your favor.

In TA2 the Law system relies on luck. "Don't critical hit!" Because, you know, I have ANY control over that.

Wazzy

Banned
Those situations are really rare and the only penalty is that you can't revive. It's hardly an issue compared to a certain game that can have three laws at once.
The fact laws like that exist in the game is bad and it happened quite a bit to me. Anyone at Square who thought it was a good idea to implement them needs to be slapped.

Brofist. Tactics Advance 2 is completely ruined by its awful version of the Law system. In TA1 the Law system required you to strategize and you had the ability to alter the Law in your favor.

In TA2 the Law system relies on luck. "Don't critical hit!" Because, you know, I have ANY control over that.

This so much. Making penalties for things we can't control is a dumb as shit system.

Heropon

The fact laws like that exist in the game is bad and it happened quite a bit to me. Anyone at Square who thought it was a good idea to implement them needs to be slapped.

I didn't mind the few times it happened to me. I usually tried to not break them but if it happened I shrugged and continued like nothing happened because the rewards weren't that interesting anyways.

This so much. Making penalties for things we can't control is a dumb as shit system.

You can control that by doing actions that can't be critical like magic. If your clan is versatile enough most laws can be followed without problem.

I suppose I'm alone in this, but I really liked the changes to the law system making it less obtrusive.

Uh, I feel like I'm taking some crazy pills cause A2 is way better than A1. The penalty for breaking the law in A2 doesn't even compare to the bull in A1, especially when you have laws like Don't Damage Animals nonsense. The bazaar system was a cool compromise between Tactics and Advance, with it being pretty much non linear, although random. I also think the music is better in A2, though that could be because of the GBA's "great" sound chip. Advance does have the better story though, by a landslide.

Though, if I must be blunt, I think both of the Advance games are hot doo doo compared to the original Tactics.

ST2K

Though, if I must be blunt, I think both of the Advance games are hot doo doo compared to the original Tactics.

Yup. I'll never forget picking up Tactics Advance expecting more of the original game, with its phenomenal gameplay mechanics, surprisingly complex characters, and novel commentary on issues that are relevant to this day. I was so excited.

And then I got a snowball fight.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just made it past part 1 last night on FFVII. Visiting the Icicle Inn and did the snowboarding.

Noi

This has been my day today in FFXIV. Yoshida knows what we want.

BlH9qZCCQAAvj14.jpg:large

BlH-PbiCAAApM_d.jpg:large

BlJXlh6IAAAgnMM.jpg:large

Labadal

Really? That;s a shame. I have it sitting here, literally bought it around the time it launched and have never got to it. Figured I might finally do that when I'm done with replaying FFXII

Tactics Advance 2 has the more fun system when it comes to developing your characters. If I had to choose one game over the other, I would chose TA2 over TA.

aravuus

You guys make me want to play an SRPG right now

I've only played the PS1 version of FFT, maybe I should give the psp remake a try. It's supposed to be a bit harder tho, isn't it? Not a fan of that

Okay, just getting into XII. I'm already liking Basch, the dialogue is light-years ahead of what I just got off of in LR, the graphics held up surprisingly well (well, for a PS2 game), the voice acting is damn good, and the story seems interesting enough in the first hour. Can't comment too much on gameplay since, well, I'm just getting into it.

Edit: Shoo Vaan. SHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Heropon

I feel like I'm getting more grumpy and I'm not enjoying X-2 as much as I did before. For some reason I can't stand the minigames and side missions as well as the last time I played and I'm getting less patient in general. Maybe I should only play rhythm and action games for a while to see if I can improve my attitude, or it's just that I'm more negative than usual thanks to a flu I caught.

Holykael1

Banned
Okay, just getting into XII. I'm already liking Basch, the dialogue is light-years ahead of what I just got off of in LR, the graphics held up surprisingly well (well, for a PS2 game), the voice acting is damn good, and the story seems interesting enough in the first hour. Can't comment too much on gameplay since, well, I'm just getting into it.

Edit: Shoo Vaan. SHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Basch and Balthier are awesome, they singlehandedly saved the character department of FF XII for me.

Heropon

I kind of had that takeaway too, but didn't feel as strongly once I got to the slightly meatier endgame stuff.

It's funny because I'm going through the meaty endgame part after doing all the boring stuff like getting the chocobos but I don't feel like playing much more. A stupid robot killed my mood thanks to a quick massacre. :(

Edit: And my Internet connection is slow as fuck right now. Maybe it's just a bad day, haha.

Heropon

I want to slap the person who thought it was a good idea that not every chocobo could level to 5 and making having four of them a requirement to unlock those ruins.

I once caught four chocobos and checking their level limit I saw:

Then I raged.

ST2K

Basch and Balthier are awesome, they singlehandedly saved the character department of FF XII for me.

Yup, though I don't like the implication you're hating on some of the other characters.

Basch = Balthier > Ashe > Fran >>>>>>>>> Vaan = Penelo

Vaan and his gal pal are so seriously out of place with the rest of the party and just generally horrible, but the rest of the cast is pretty strong, in my opinion. Even non-party characters like Gabranth, Vayne, and Larsa are great, making for a pretty strong game cast.

Holykael1

Banned
Yup, though I don't like the implication you're hating on some of the other characters.

Basch = Balthier > Ashe > Fran >>>>>>>>> Vaan = Penelo

Vaan and his gal pal are so seriously out of place with the rest of the party and just generally horrible, but the rest of the cast is pretty strong, in my opinion. Even non-party characters like Gabranth, Vayne, and Larsa are great, making for a pretty strong game cast.

I don't hate fictional characters :p
I may not particularly care for them or even slightly dislike their personality but hate is going too far.

Ashe was a good character from a narrative perspective but I didn't particularly care for her personality.
Vaan and Penelo are boring, I have nothing against them, they are just kinda there, really pointless and they add nothing to the narrative.
Fran is kinda like Vaan and Penelo but to a lesser extent.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

I agree though, the side characters are great! I really liked Vayne as a villain especially because he was "right" but using morally questionable methods to reach his goal. Larsa is a really fascinating character because he has the guts to go against his own family in the name of justice. Gabranth is awesome aswell. I really enjoyed the moral greyness of some of the characters.

Okay FFGAF, I need some feedback. So I've been trying to recreate the Loveless poster from FF7 over the last few days because I couldn't find one for sale anywhere, and I feel like I've just about got it.

I'm trying to decide between these two designs.

1. With Gloss

2.Without Gloss

For reference:

Sorry about the large images. Any criticism is appreciated! I want this to look as good as possible before I get it printed.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not sure about that. Gloss does deviate from the original a little bit if that's what you're after, but it's not totally flat in the original (and not just from the rendering process I believe)

edit: At the very least I believe the horizontal and vertical text are the same base color.

Not sure about that. Gloss does deviate from the original a little bit if that's what you're after, but it's not totally flat in the original (and not just from the rendering process I believe)

Yeah that's where I'm torn. I like it with the gloss, but I'd like to keep it as close to the original as possible.

I also feel like the glossed text stands out too much against the other text that isn't. Like maybe I should try and gloss the yellow text as well?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Falk

that puzzling face
You could try a gradient that goes across both sets of text. It doesn't have to be linear either. Just an organic gradient that's barely noticable could make it pop.

Okay, it's all finished.

I decided to go with the gradient on the title text and no gradient for the side text. Also, I added a gradient behind the lady, and added in some other small details all around.

Thanks again guys!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is there a reason why the voice actor of Tidus most of the times seems he is recoreded with fast-forward activated? terrible lol

Heropon

I preferred Loveless when it was only a stage play. Something felt off with me when the team behind Crisis Core tried to expand on it making it more important than I thought it should have been, or maybe it was just my aversion to Genesis reacting and it wasn't that bad.

CorvoSol

Forgot to mention until now, but Magius told me to pass along that his computer has been bungled so y'all're gonna have to wait a good while to see him again

Is there a reason why the voice actor of Tidus most of the times seems he is recoreded with fast-forward activated? terrible lol

Back when FFX was made, the lip-sync tech wasn't that good in the first place, but the length of the animations wasn't changed for the North American localization, so there are cases where they needed to speak *really* quickly to get the right amount of information across in a brief amount of time. (When the animations gave them *more* time than needed, of course, the translators could just make things a little bit wordier - a much easier problem to solve).

The best example of this that crops up throughout the game is Yuna's very quick and clipped "yes" in place of the Japanese "hai."

The reason this seems to crop up most often with Tidus is really just that he's the character who speaks most often in the game (because he's the main character).

Top Bottom