• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Yup. I'll never forget picking up Tactics Advance expecting more of the original game, with its phenomenal gameplay mechanics, surprisingly complex characters, and novel commentary on issues that are relevant to this day. I was so excited.

And then I got a snowball fight.

They're pretty crap, but they're technically better *balanced* than FFT is (not that that's necessarily a virtue, of course - part of what a lot of people love about FFT is how insanely breakable it is. but still).

And some of the support and reaction abilities are really well thought out in terms of how they integrate with each other. If there's anything the FFTA games do really well, it's that (like, the synergy you can get with doublecast + summon + blood price is fantastic, for example, or the way Assassins work when you get Concentrate). MP Turbo and Magic Attack Up are well balanced against each other, for example, and there's no one overpowered reaction ability like Blade Grasp from FFT.

Oh and the way that MP starts at zero at the beginning of a battle and regenerates itself in the FFTA games is likely a better model for making casters more interesting than the fast-depleting MP from FFT - certainly a better base to balance from.

In all other respects though, yeah FFT blows them away entirely.

Seda

And some of the support and reaction abilities are really well thought out in terms of how they integrate with each other. If there's anything the FFTA games do really well, it's that (like, the synergy you can get with doublecast + summon + blood price is fantastic, for example, or the way Assassins work when you get Concentrate). MP Turbo and Magic Attack Up are well balanced against each other, for example, and there's no one overpowered reaction ability like Blade Grasp from FFT.

Oh and the way that MP starts at zero at the beginning of a battle and regenerates itself in the FFTA games is likely a better model for making casters more interesting than the fast-depleting MP from FFT - certainly a better base to balance from.

In all other respects though, yeah FFT blows them away entirely.

I really really enjoyed FFTA. Yeah the political narrative of FFT wasn't to be found, but I liked the mission structure and how skills could be integrated with each other as you said. Sometimes keeping track of those 'mission items' was a little annoying, especially with the inventory limit. And Laws could get bothersome too when you had 3 to deal with, even though you could try to cycle to favorable laws before engaging. But while it has some niggling annoyances, the strategy gameplay and job system was solid, which is most important.

I honestly had no problem with the voice acting FFX aside from the occasinal fast talk or short answers characters would sometimes give. The performances seemed to fit the roles of the characters well and I honestly can't imagine another voice actor portraying any of the characters.

PK Gaming

Okay, it's all finished.

I decided to go with the gradient on the title text and no gradient for the side text. Also, I added a gradient behind the lady, and added in some other small details all around.

Thanks again guys!

It looks great, good job dude!

Forgot to mention until now, but Magius told me to pass along that his computer has been bungled so y'all're gonna have to wait a good while to see him again

Is that so...

GILGAMESH IS TERRIBLE AND OVERRATED

Falk

that puzzling face
Okay, it's all finished.

I decided to go with the gradient on the title text and no gradient for the side text. Also, I added a gradient behind the lady, and added in some other small details all around.

Thanks again guys!

Looking good; only thing about the gradient is it does make the 6/25 pop a lot less than the original but I doubt you mind that.

Final Fantasy XV
I was recently listening to Omnis Lacrima through Youtube and came to a video that had an unofficial translation of the lyrics to the song. The lyrics point heavily to a theme of revenge and the seperation and pain it causes. My guess is that
Noctis and crew are going to avenge his dad's death(or sleep?) and end up breaking apart through the journey.
Here's the video if anyone wanted to discuss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBSBBOSRSy4

Final Fantasy XV
I was recently listening to Omnis Lacrima through Youtube and came to a video that had an unofficial translation of the lyrics to the song. The lyrics point heavily to a theme of revenge and the seperation and pain it causes. My guess is that
Noctis and crew are going to avenge his dad's death(or sleep?) and end up breaking apart through the journey.
Here's the video if anyone wanted to discuss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBSBBOSRSy4

I remember when Kiss Me Goodbye came out, based on its lyrics I thought it FFXII was going to have a major love triangle theme of Vaan falling in love with adventure and developing a crush on Ashe and Penelo having unrequited feelings for him and learning to let him go.

lolnope

CorvoSol

I remember when Kiss Me Goodbye came out, based on its lyrics I thought it FFXII was going to have a major love triangle theme of Vaan falling in love with adventure and developing a crush on Ashe and Penelo having unrequited feelings for him and learning to let him go.

lolnope

Lightning really does put on her makeup when she gets up, though, no lies there.

That's me hit king raithwall's tomb in my FFXII IZJS playthrough, I really do love the actual gameplay experience of this game, I forgot how satisfying it is setting up your gambits and seeing them all play out and tweaking them etc. I kind of have no idea what I think about the job system differences. I like that it forces me to play everyone differently, but I think I did that anyway in the original version. It's just this way I had to go consult gamefaqs to try and remember what the end game high high tier bosses were and what I was going to need when I get there, so I didn't lock myself into something permanently that was a bad mix. It would be nice if there was some kind of forfeit you could do that let you change job classes or at least more comprehensive info on them before having to choose, but I'm enjoying it.

I got some extra money too, so I bought and downloaded FFXHD and FFX-2HD for my vita, have them sitting there to enjoy when I finish this off in a week or two :)

Prototype

hey, I just got to raithwall's tomb myself! haven't been able to play games for the last few days, but really excited to go through it soon.

hey, I just got to raithwall's tomb myself! haven't been able to play games for the last few days, but really excited to go through it soon.

Haha I'll add my reply in spoilers, since I'm not sure if this is your first time! Neat that we're both at the same spot though :)

I just faced the optional demon's wall :( haha this guy and his telega. I beat him but I had to cheap out and use quickenings. I was getting him down to a quarte rof his bar before I ran out of time but him x-zoning my mages was making it jsut undoable. I saved on a new slot though, I'd like to go back and have a shot at him again, I really think I could beat him without quickenings but it just wasn't happening this morning haha.
Now onwards, into the depths!

Oh yea, meant to add before, in addition to FFX, I got revenant wings really cheap off amazon, so I'll add that on to the end of FFXII. I understand it's not the best game ever, but I've never played it and I love the visual design of the game haha, plus just any game set in ivalice = love.

Oh man haha just trekked through the mosphoran highwaste...to find out that you can't buy golden amulets at babbling vale in the IZJS version haha! At least I got some thief cuffs...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I still don't get something in Dirge of Cerberus.

So, when Nero melds with his brother Weiss and then awakens Omega with Weiss then becoming part of Omega, does that explain the weird black tentacles that come out of Omega because it's more like Weiss/Nero Omega?

Maybe I should've saved this for the stupid gaming questions thread....

Prototype

Haha I'll add my reply in spoilers, since I'm not sure if this is your first time! Neat that we're both at the same spot though :)

I just faced the optional demon's wall :( haha this guy and his telega. I beat him but I had to cheap out and use quickenings. I was getting him down to a quarte rof his bar before I ran out of time but him x-zoning my mages was making it jsut undoable. I saved on a new slot though, I'd like to go back and have a shot at him again, I really think I could beat him without quickenings but it just wasn't happening this morning haha.
Now onwards, into the depths!

Oh yea, meant to add before, in addition to FFX, I got revenant wings really cheap off amazon, so I'll add that on to the end of FFXII. I understand it's not the best game ever, but I've never played it and I love the visual design of the game haha, plus just any game set in ivalice = love.

I played it before, this is just a nostalgia driven playthrough. I tried a few times to beat the Wall but it's not happening lol. I've just been cruising through the game for a story play through and haven't really leveled up much, I just unlocked Cura recently lol.

Speaking of XII, why isn't the song that plays in the first area of Giruvegan(The one where you can see other structures across the sea), it's own separate song? Instead it's like an opening sample to a larger song.

Since FFX HD sold so well, I wonder what the chances are of us getting FFXII Zodiac HD? The only thing is doesn't Sony require at least 2 games bundled in order to have a physical release in a HD collection? Not sure what they could bundle with it (since porting the DS sequel would be too much work). Dirge of Cerberus? :p Crisis Core would be cool to have a HD version of it, though.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Since FFX HD sold so well, I wonder what the chances are of us getting FFXII Zodiac HD? The only thing is doesn't Sony require at least 2 games bundled in order to have a physical release in a HD collection? Not sure what they could bundle with it (since porting the DS sequel would be too much work). Dirge of Cerberus? :p Crisis Core would be cool to have a HD version of it, though.

There's plenty of opportunity for S-E to pop-out freaking amazing HD Collections with everything they published lately, from FFXII to Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Dissidia series (with online support this time) ect.

But why not making an HD of Type-0 and bundle it with XII?

I played it before, this is just a nostalgia driven playthrough. I tried a few times to beat the Wall but it's not happening lol. I've just been cruising through the game for a story play through and haven't really leveled up much, I just unlocked Cura recently lol.

haha have you got any quickenings yet? If so, even at an average level, if you can pull a good chain, you might be able to get him. The reward has been obliterated though in IZJS anyway, so it's not a big deal. You don't get that sword now, just a scathe mote. What jobs did you go with?

I love how you can make an esper a party leader now and stomp around, I think I've used Belias more already than I used any espers in the original FFXII.

But why not making an HD of Type-0 and bundle it with XII?

so-hot.gif

That would be... amazing.

Heropon

Corvo, you aren't helping with that attitude, we need more positive thinking.

Talking about optimism, it seems that the other day I just was in a bad mood. Now I like X-2 as much as always, some of the super-bosses were beaten and my Vita selfdestructed. Well, it just has a bad line of pixels but it must go to technical support anyways.

I'm sorry, but I hate the idea of anything bundled with a potential FF12HD remaster that isn't part of the Ivalice world. We have been blessed with decent looking covers and CE for these HD games. Can you imagine how shitty the boxart alone would look like with games of different aesthetics? It'll be "Final Fantasy Chronicles" all over again.

The world of Ivalice has it's own games. Just bundle 12 with the all the Tactics games and cutscene/slideshow/movies of xii-2, maybe include a voucher for Vagrant Story from the psn.

The Compilation of 7 has enough games to make a bundle out of as well.

Finally Type 0 HD should be it's own thing, since it was never released here, then maybe it doesn't have to include another game.If it does, then well that Agito game maybe?

Prototype

haha have you got any quickenings yet? If so, even at an average level, if you can pull a good chain, you might be able to get him. The reward has been obliterated though in IZJS anyway, so it's not a big deal. You don't get that sword now, just a scathe mote. What jobs did you go with?

I love how you can make an esper a party leader now and stomp around, I think I've used Belias more already than I used any espers in the original FFXII.

No ZJS for me sadly. Dusted off the PS2 and found a copy of 12 at a local game store. Ashe and Baltheir are the only characters with quickenings atm lol. I've felt I'm a little underleveld the whole game thus far but it's still been fun. I would love to play ZJS and am hoping that when an HD version of 12 comes out that it'll be ZJS ver. I don't see why they wouldn't. I can't read Japanese and even though I could probably get through it I don't enjoy playing games in a language I can't read. If I did, I'd probably be playing MH4 already instead of waiting until 2015... lol.

@Perfo
I would love to see Type-0 come stateside, bundled with something or not. Chances are they'll bundle the DS 12 sequel with 12HD if anything. Tho, I don't care much for the DS game so it's meaningless bonus as far as I'm concerned. ZJS in HD would be enough for me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If FFXII HD were to happen, they'd probably include a 3D remake of Revenant Wings.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Did anyone actually play that game? It always seems like people forget about that game.

I really enjoyed it, except for the story considering that - as tradition - didn't have much to do with the previous game.

BTW I bought FFX also for VITA, having with me the PS3 version I can't say is that much worth playing it on portable. Graphics are obviously not on par and the game has not been designed for a screen so small, most of the times it seems you're playing with ants instead of humans. Also: minimal use of touch screen? Why can't I scroll the sphere grid with it? So dumb -.-'

I really enjoyed it, except for the story considering that - as tradition - didn't have much to do with the previous game.

BTW I bought FFX also for VITA, having with me the PS3 version I can't say is that much worth playing it on portable. Graphics are obviously not on par and the game has not been designed for a screen so small, most of the times it seems you're playing with ants instead of humans. Also: minimal use of touch screen? Why can't I scroll the sphere grid with it? So dumb -.-'

I went on a vacation a few weeks ago and had FFXHD Vita with me to start from where I left of with it on my PS3. It was very cool and convenient for me.

Did anyone actually play that game? It always seems like people forget about that game.

Haha I actually just got it in the mail the other day, I'll be playing it through after I'm done FFXII, so I'll give my thoughts when I get there :)

No ZJS for me sadly. Dusted off the PS2 and found a copy of 12 at a local game store. Ashe and Baltheir are the only characters with quickenings atm lol. I've felt I'm a little underleveld the whole game thus far but it's still been fun. I would love to play ZJS and am hoping that when an HD version of 12 comes out that it'll be ZJS ver. I don't see why they wouldn't. I can't read Japanese and even though I could probably get through it I don't enjoy playing games in a language I can't read. If I did, I'd probably be playing MH4 already instead of waiting until 2015... lol.

Oh right cool man! I'm playing IZJS but it's on PC with the english patch in there haha best of all worlds I guess. I would really happily take a HD remake though for my vita, I love the convenience of playing through FFIX recently on it and now war of the lions. I feel like I've overlevelled a little right now but I really didn't mean to. I just kept finding things on the board that I wanted *right now* haha so I'm going to scale back my battling and try not take the challenge out of the game. But I guess at least I'm powerful enough for some cool fights right now. I took on Marilith and had an amazing battle. I'm sure veryone died at some point. I actually thought I was going to game over and as a last ditch thing, I summoned belias to act as tank while ashe rezzed everyone else (who were dead) and for some reason everything Marilith was doing was healing Belias and refilling his time meter, so they duked it out like something out of Pacific Rim and he took it out. Very fun haha

CorvoSol

Thank the Lord, Magius sent out another friend summon in BD. I wasted mine against that damn dragon who was resistant to them, but it's nice to have the Magius Trump Card back in my deck if I ever get fed up with some of the absurdly hard bossfights in this game.

I find that Onions is much more enjoyable when her voice is turned off, even if she's still a stick in the mud. The real question, though, is: is that a giant statue of a Viera in Florem?

Top Bottom