• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Haha, had a bit of a rough session last night. Figured I'd take a pot shot at the king bomb in Salikawood and Zalera but I failed on both counts. I was getting Zalera reaaaally close to death as well but my party just isn't prepared for his kills yet, will be better when I have haste, and curaga. Oh well. I did managed to kill ring wyrm though and the white mousse.

Falk

that puzzling face
Depends entirely on whether you have voice acting turned on or not. Onions actually seems like a reasonable-ish character with her voice turned off.

You need to play the game with voices on for the sheer hilarity of when she gets really shrill.

Just give in and play it, you know you want to.

Repeat this mantra that had me hooked really fast...just one more mark...

gollum-not-listening.gif

SougoXIII

It was a Toriyama directed game. And we all know what Toriyama wants he gets. So no way SE or Kitase would sweep it under the rug.

If SE have an sort of common sense, Toriyama's influence should be greatly diminish by now. I didn't even know Revenant Wings was made by him. At least it was bland and boring instead of stupid (or not as stupid as the XIII trilogy).

Solo Act

Is FF13's story "complete" enough if I disregard the 2 sequels? I want to play 13 but not if it ends on a cliffhanger or a "to be continued" type of ending.

If I didn't know 13-2 / LR existed, would 13 feel complete?

CorvoSol

Is FF13's story "complete" enough if I disregard the 2 sequels? I want to play 13 but not if it ends on a cliffhanger or a "to be continued" type of ending.

If you finish FF13 you don't need to play the sequels. The game's ending is open as in "Lightning and company can have other adventures" but no more open than basically any other ending in the series.

FF13-2 had to start its game with a major retcon in order to kick off its plot. How about I put it like that?

FF13-2, however, DOES end on a cliffhanger.

CorvoSol

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Haha, no problem. 13-2 is fun if you enjoy stupid dumb things, but if for whatever reason it's inconvenient, you really, really don't need to play 13-2 or LR to feel like 13 itself is finished at the end.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Some would say that the sequels made XIII seem better since it ended on a decent note. Sequels just made a bunch of squiggly lines and caused confusion and eventually IMO just becomes a parody of the FF series. But if Sailor Moon shenanigans is your kind of thing I would recommend XIII-2 and LR to you. I would probably put them on the same level.

I will say the XIII-2 GILGAMESH DLC is worth it though.

HTupolev

FFXIII is self-contained.

XIII-2 and LR were almost certainly conceived as a result of Squeenix's cartoonishly troubled FF game development experience in the early seventh gen. They don't appear to have existed on SE's roadmap until after that roadmap changed suddenly midway through the gen, after FFXIII had some obvious development troubles and FFXIV 1.0 catastrophically trainwrecked.
SE seemingly got terrified of high-budget new development for a while, pushing FFXV back while FFXIV was rebuilt, and in the meantime they had a team under Toriyama hold down the fort with some low-budget unplanned FFXIII sequels.

(Not that XIII-2 and LR are bad, they're actually kind of awesome in their own right. You don't get that breed of AA development much anymore. They're just crazy tacky.)

Wazzy

Banned
I still think it's awesome that a celebrity talked about playing Final Fantasy. Even cooler(for me) that it was VIII. While I like VII a lot, it's such a stereotypical answer when people speak of the franchise so it was nice to hear something else.

Holykael1

Banned
I still think it's awesome that a celebrity talked about playing Final Fantasy. Even cooler(for me) that it was VIII. While I like VII a lot, it's such a stereotypical answer when people speak of the franchise so it was nice to hear something else.

What celebrity?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Drew Barrymore watched me play FFVIII co-op with a buddy once. She was buck naked too. It was awesome.

Shame she didn't play a better Final Fantasy.

Kidding.

I honestly don't know who that is, but it is indeed cool to hear someone talk about Final Fantasy on a show like that.

CorvoSol

I looked her up and the reason I had no clue who she was is because before she was in 12 years a slave there wasn't really any way I would've known who she was and since I haven't seen that movie yet that's why I'd never ever heard of her.

Fou-Lu

I've never gotten further than the end of disc 2 in FF9 because the first copy I bought as a kid the second disc didn't work, I sold it and bought another copy later on and the third disc didn't work. Part way through the third disc and the game really picks up, I already loved it, but this disc is amazing. Best FF of the PSX era indeed.

CorvoSol

Don't lie. You weren't the kid in that scene. :mad:

I know you looked up who she is but yeah she was also just picked as most beautiful person for people's choice.

She's definitely very attractive. You will hear no argument from me there.

Back on topic, though.

WHY DON'T I HAVE CURTAIN CALL YET?

I need that game already.

Also: anybody know if PSPs and PSVs can interact? My brother bought TWotL for his Vita and I wanna see if we can do the multiplayer stuff.

Wazzy

Banned
That was just awesome!
It really was. I was pretty happy when I heard about it.
She's definitely very attractive. You will hear no argument from me there.

Back on topic, though.

WHY DON'T I HAVE CURTAIN CALL YET?

I need that game already.

Also: anybody know if PSPs and PSVs can interact? My brother bought TWotL for his Vita and I wanna see if we can do the multiplayer stuff.
Is it out in Japan? I was pretty hyped for it(waiting for English release) but haven't been following any news about it lately.

100% wife material right there
I'm such a stan for her now.

CorvoSol

Ohhhhh damn I wanna look up the new features and if there's more secret characters. I was addicted to the first game.

60 PCs
200+ songs
Spin off characters included
Type-0 tracks

The single downspot is that Somnus got removed and I spent money on it.

Holykael1

Banned
I've spent about 5 hours in Gran Pulse doing sidequest lol, I'm afraid doing the final dungeon and failing miserably at the Final Boss :(

I did half of them(around 28-30) and I cheesed the final boss pretty easily.
Don't forget to read the rest of the analects after finishing the game, google them.

CorvoSol

Agreed, he seemed cool and then you discovered what a weakling and how much of a front he puts up and his cool factor tanked. At times I wondered what his character was for, he didn't seem to have much of a role.

His biggest crime is looking like a cowboy but not being one in any other way. Do you know how badass he would've been if he'd been a fucking Cowboy?

Top Bottom