• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Holykael1

Banned
Live A Live?

livealive.jpg

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/livealive/livealive.htm

There is a fan translation available of this game for us non-japanese speaking peasants :p

Agreed, he seemed cool and then you discovered what a weakling and how much of a front he puts up and his cool factor tanked. At times I wondered what his character was for, he didn't seem to have much of a role.

Did he seem cool? To me he only seemed rape-y. The fact that he completely fails at being a sharpshooter is totally secondary as far as I'm concerned.

CorvoSol

Live A Live?

YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT LIVE-A-LIVE!?

Holy shit, Tigger, let me introduce you to one of Squaresoft's most unusual and underappreciated SNES games:

Live-A-Live is an SNES RPG by Square that, like many in that era, never made it overseas. Like gems such as Secret of Mana 3 and Front Mission, Live-A-Live now has a translation patch which makes playing it perfectly possible.

In this game you play as seven different characters from seven different time periods in sort of chapters. Every chapter plays a little differently and, given the different settings, feels very distinct. You may play them in any order you like, after which you unlike an eighth and then a ninth chapter to finish the overarching story.

At far left in the image above is the Cowboy chapter, where you play as a drifter in the wild west who has to help prepare a town to defend itself from a bunch of bandits. Like the Magnificent Seven.

Next is the Mecha/Near Future chapter, where you play as a psychic punk pursuing a mysterious corporation. It's sort of based around Akira.

After this is the Wrestling chapter, which is a boss rush against the world's best fighters and kinda feels like an action flick or streetfighter game.

In the middle is the Sci Fi chapter, which has a survival horror feel and is based loosely on 2001 a Space Odyssey.

Then the Kung Fu chapter, where you play as a wise old kung fu master seeking to train new pupils.

Then the prehistoric chapter where you're a cave dude having a cave time.

And at far right you play as a ninja in my favorite chapter, where you may choose to either sneak through an enemy castle without killing anyone or to drench yourself in blood and kill EVERYONE. Kinda like Metal Gear.

c0dEkW9.png

Battle is on a grid, and you and the enemy move around. Attacks have ranges and areas of effect. So think FFT only much, much simpler and smaller. The rest of the game, ie map and dungeon movement as well as character customization etc plays pretty much like FF4 does in terms of straight up mechanics (though I forget now how customizeable the cast is.)

It's a really quirky, really kinda funny game at first glance but after a certain point in the game's plot shit gets stupid real and well, I don't want to spoil it for you but this real is one of Square's hidden gems from that era.

I was randomly listening to a mix of ff piano collections while i was working, and damn, is FFVIII piano one of the best soundtracks I have listened to. I don't even remember/like FFVIII's soundtrack that much, but the piano collection improves upon it in many ways. I was going to say it is one of Uematsu's best effort at arrangement (something i find him pretty lazy at in general), but i just noticed it's not his work.

CorvoSol

Why didn't we get Live A Live? Seems like a really ambitious game...it has my interest now!

Well off the top of my head the Prehistoric chapter is pretty risque for SNES era Nintendo. Cave dude and his ape bro definitely get funky with some ladies, and one of your party members in that chapter is a naked man with a lizard over his dick. In the Near Future chapter you can steal panties but I don't think that's as big a deal. There's a gag in the Kung Fu chapter about groping or at least seeing a girl's "peaches"
she then gives them to you as a restorative item for use at your convenience.
Pretty sure the cowboy can get the drunk status.

There are some violent points too, but I think it would be less about the violence than naked cave people. I really don't know why it never came over, but I'd say it is definitely worth checking out!

Sinople

Live-A-Live is really good.
The guy is often underrated but Takashi Tokita has an impressive resume: Hanjuku Hero series (game design, direction), FFIV (game design), Live-A-Live (direction, scenario), Chrono Trigger (co-direction), Parasite Eve (direction, scenario), 4 Heroes of Light (direction).
He's also been involved with a good number of turds but, hey, no one's perfect...

Manu

Sorry to interrupt.

I was thinking: would you play a F2P Dissidia for consoles? Because the thought crossed my mind earlier today and I realized that yes, I'd play the shit out of it.

A game virtually equal to 012 but with console HD graphics and microtransactions only for optional, cosmetic stuff. Maybe one paid character or two.

Sorry to interrupt.

I was thinking: would you play a F2P Dissidia for consoles? Because the thought crossed my mind earlier today and I realized that yes, I'd play the shit out of it.

A game virtually equal to 012 but with console HD graphics and microtransactions only for optional, cosmetic stuff. Maybe one paid character or two.

I'd pay for more Dissidia on a console, yes.

CorvoSol

Sorry to interrupt.

Shoot, I'd pay for a console Dissidia. Forget the F2P noise and charge me the 60 bucks. Just let me be able to sit in the same room as P2.

Well off the top of my head the Prehistoric chapter is pretty risque for SNES era Nintendo. Cave dude and his ape bro definitely get funky with some ladies, and one of your party members in that chapter is a naked man with a lizard over his dick. In the Near Future chapter you can steal panties but I don't think that's as big a deal. There's a gag in the Kung Fu chapter about groping or at least seeing a girl's "peaches"
she then gives them to you as a restorative item for use at your convenience.
Pretty sure the cowboy can get the drunk status.

There are some violent points too, but I think it would be less about the violence than naked cave people. I really don't know why it never came over, but I'd say it is definitely worth checking out!

If they were so concerned, they could have censored those parts out. It doesn't seem like there is a ton of questionable stuff...

CorvoSol

If they were so concerned, they could have censored those parts out. It doesn't seem like there is a ton of questionable stuff...

Much like Secret of Mana 3 there is no real explanation for why Square never gave it to us. As in to this day Square has never localized this game.

Did I mention Yoko Shimomura did the OST?

Much like Secret of Mana 3 there is no real explanation for why Square never gave it to us. As in to this day Square has never localized this game.

Did I mention Yoko Shimomura did the OST?

You didn't but that's real evil of you now...I'm like a moth to the lamp when it comes to her music.

And what was the deal with Mana 3?

CorvoSol

You didn't but that's real evil of you now...I'm like a moth to the lamp when it comes to her music.

And what was the deal with Mana 3?

I have no idea what the deal was. Square just kinda drunkenly chose which games to bring over or not back then. Nowadays they withhold games out of a sick desire to see Magius suffer.

Labadal

I would try a F2P Dissidia but it is nothing I am actually wishing for.

I'd rather so FFXIV go F2P. It might happen in 2022.

CorvoSol

Bravely Default

GOD DAMMIT AGNES. Do you know how RPGs even work, girl? You do EVERYTHING contrary to what the player wants to do! "Let Tiz join your party!" "NOOOOOO" "Let Edea and Ringabell join your party!" "NOOOOOOOO" "Heal the Crystal right the fuck now when you have a chance!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaugh

Noi

Bravely Default

GOD DAMMIT AGNES. Do you know how RPGs even work, girl? You do EVERYTHING contrary to what the player wants to do! "Let Tiz join your party!" "NOOOOOO" "Let Edea and Ringabell join your party!" "NOOOOOOOO" "Heal the Crystal right the fuck now when you have a chance!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Having the right crystal healing dress on is very important.

Ultratech

I have no idea what the deal was. Square just kinda drunkenly chose which games to bring over or not back then. Nowadays they withhold games out of a sick desire to see Magius suffer.

The reasons I've read basically boil down to:

1) Nintendo of Japan didn't give approval.
2) Various fatal bugs in the game code that would've had to been fixed prior to localization.

CorvoSol

Having the right crystal healing dress on is very important.

And it's VERY important to respect your childhood friend's rights to participate in a rare religious ceremony (she clearly could not participate in when you weren't there which is not at all suspect) rather than totally saving the world right the fuck now since it can blink out of existence at any second.

And now we're in a fucking beauty pageant. On the one hand it is humorous and kinda funny watching Ringabel and Edea dance around and be grown ups while Tiz is the straight man and occasional butt of jokes with Onions, but on the other hand I wish we were here and doing this for a more solid reason than Onions refusing to ever do the reasonable, smart thing for a change.

Do you think the mother fuckin' Light Warriors cried about involving people in their party and waiting to save the Crystals? Hell naw, man. Knight was all "Fuck it we gotta kill us some demons" and the rest of 'em TOWED THE LINE.

*snrk* I keep tellin' ya that Agnes was my least-favourite character in that game, but nooooooo.

But her design is so good!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Agnes also has one of the best cgaracter leitmotifs past the year 2000.

edit: augh those live concert videos got taken down
Yeah, it sucks. :/

I'd say that BD has some of the best character leitmotifs past-2000 in general, though. All four have some great beats. I haven't been that engaged with character themes in a long time, especially since they're implemented in terms of gameplay.

Oh Corvo, I look forward to more detailed rants once you finish BD.

The game is decent, but the characters(not just the playable ones) are not the only frustrating thing.

I will say that, in many many aspects. it is the most typical JRPG ever. And while I'm not saying that's all bad, it should of had more fun with itself instead of playing it straight.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bravely Default

Whatever you say Airy. Whatever you say.

SougoXIII

Man, Agnes may be terrible but she's not the worst part of BD. I gives that spot to the story. Contrivances after contrivances so that we can have the god awful 'twist.'

CorvoSol

Hold up.

You're still at the beginning of the game? And you're complaining about Agnes already?!
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I can't wait until you get further in.
flKrAR6.gif

I'm sort of swamped in games, haha. I have KH Tropical HD Remix, Persona 2, Super Robot Wars Z3, Dragon Quest 4, Bravely Default, Pokemon X and Tales of the Abyss all on the plate. And all of that is without counting the not-RPGs I have to play, like Kid Icarus Uprising, Retro City Rampage, Sly 4, etc.

I haven't even been watching much anime lately because I have a billion games to play, and I haven't been playing my games because now that I'm home I have shit to do.

Whatever you say Airy. Whatever you say.

I don't trust the fairy one bit. I mean, I agreed with her completely at the Water Crystal, but given everybody else kept their mouths shut at that moment, I dunno, something was suspect.

Wazzy

Banned
Man, Agnes may be terrible but she's not the worst part of BD. I gives that spot to the story. Contrivances after contrivances so that we can have the god awful 'twist.'

I don't know....for the first
five chapters
she's insufferable.

I actually didn't mind the story and can't think of anything too offensive from it other than
the stupid gameplay/story mess starting in chapter 5

CorvoSol

Dammit Ringabel, these girls are underage. I don't care how much you say "The Light Warriors were all about sidequests!" these girls are suicidal and underage. This isn't going to help our band gain any street cred at all. Nobody is going to come to our shows like this. This is just a lame ten minute spot on MTV's Where Are They Now?.

Dammit Ringabel, these girls are underage. I don't care how much you say "The Light Warriors were all about sidequests!" these girls are suicidal and underage. This isn't going to help our band gain any street cred at all. Nobody is going to come to our shows like this. This is just a lame ten minute spot on MTV's Where Are They Now?.

WAT?

SougoXIII

I don't know....for the first
five chapters
she's insufferable.

I actually didn't mind the story and can't think of anything too offensive from it other than
the stupid gameplay/story mess starting in chapter 5

I was referring to
How everyone you met insisting on fighting you without sitting down and talk about the bloody thing. Especially when it comes to Edea's mentor and father 'Oh she so stubborn! Talk would useless' Is that what REALLY expect me to buy? Instead they just stand on their high horse and talk down to me about how 'I'm the real villain' and leave me frustrated before I get to their 'glorious' twist.It's like they get a fancy plot twist in mind and started to bend the plot, character around it, regardless of it making sense or not.

Talking about the villain, almost all of them are laughably evil for the sake of evil: Corrupting a town so everyone becomes shallow and obsess with their appearance to the point of having little girls KILLED each other over an accessory - an accessory made of out dead fairy wings!? And this is cause by only two insane people while the leader of the city/country do jack about it? I'm not even going to touch the chemist who's laughing about slaughtering thousands of people, the king who decided to force his people into slave labour so that they can produce more ... breads? The already wealthy merchant who decided to have a monopoly on water by killing everyone who tries to get the alternative source. It's so god damn retardedly stupid and comes from the thought the dark/edgy = deep and profound. I'm so sick of it.

CorvoSol

Bravely Default

Well that sidequest ended on a tragic note. Gosh darn. Switching Onions to Summoner class. Not because White Mage isn't useful but because holy crap 3500 JP is a lot.

CorvoSol

I realize this is a double post. I realize it is 2 in the morning.

But for fuck's sake.

Bravely Default

I marched across a country, over a mountain range and through a goddamn forest to reach this old sage's house. For what? So Tiz could be a colossal stooge and rob Ringabel of some much deserved cheesecake? So Onions could decide that "no, wait, guess I didn't need a special costume at all!" For one goofy scene that contributed absofuckinglutely nothing to the plot but required I walk all this way and fight a boss fight to get here? At least I didn't have to go the long way around but imagine if this shit was really happening to you:

Your home is destroyed. Or you betrayed your homeland. Or you have no memories at all. The world teeters on the brink of catastrophe. As in at any second the very world could just, you know, CEASE TO EXIST. You are constantly on the run from the mightiest military force in the world, and they're junior high atheists to boot. Monsters hound your every step. You reach the Crystal of Water and you can open the seal, fix it up, and seal it again, continuing your quest and managing the reconstruction of your hometown (which your horribly lazy sovereign dumped in your lap).

OR

You can go trudging around through some garden nation that is supposedly a wasteland (minus the flowers everyfuckingwhere) and listen to vapid women prattle about fashion for ever and ever while your team white mage insists upon NOT SAVING THE WORLD to respect her childhood friend's right to see some super rare religious ceremony take place (which is TOTALLY NOT A PLOY to see her childhood bestie again and DEFINITELY A LEGITIMATE reason to put off saving the goddamn world. Because saving the world is like a little league softball game and gosh I wish you'da been there! and not an urgent matter) which then requires that she participate in a beauty pageant to lure said bestie out of hiding (and drawing LOADS of attention to your own party, since the nation is CRAWLING with soldiers from aforementioned superpower) because you know, people come out of hiding for their lives to see Toddlers and Tiara's cuz Hunny Boo Boo jus that good. But WAIT, we better get a sexy dress for this pageant, 'cuz it's not like these low cut thigh displaying night slips she's been wearing since her days as a chaste nun married to a fucking rock are sexy IN THE LEAST BIT, so let's go hike across a goddamn continent, up a fucking mountain where an ornery turtle will ask us if we've heard about the good Lord when we're just trying to walk, through a big ass forest where we'll spend a night with some creepy old man (WHO WE KNEW WAS CREEPY BEFORE WE CAME ALL THIS WAY) creeps this girl out of wearing whatever outfit it is she was going to wear because "NOOO I DON'T WANNA ONIONCEPTABLE!!" and then we all laugh our asses off AND WALK THE WHOLE FUCKING WAY BACK.

The only reason I am not LIVID right now is because in game time this was easily accomplished, but if Tiz actually had a fucking penis or wasn't onionwhipped, maybe he could've saved some time or at least gotten to see this hilariously skimpy bikini for his troubles.

Man, Cecil would NOT put up with this shit. Do you know why he told Rosa and Rydia to get off his ship? Cuz he 1) he was drunk off his ass at the time, 2) FuSoYa swore up and down there'd be space chicks and 3) he knew he didn't have to go to the gosh darn moon to get Rosa to like him.

Tiz, here is what you do: let your evil brother kidnap Onions and brainwash Wingdings. Slap Wingaling upside the head, make out with Onions in front of his face, and then prevent Edea from ever having a relationship with anyone but you for the rest of your life.

Here is what you don't do: HIKE ACROSS A CONTINENT SO A GIRL CAN BE LIKE "NO I CHANGED MY MIND LOL."

SougoXIII

I realize this is a double post. I realize it is 2 in the morning.

But for fuck's sake.

Bravely Default

I marched across a country, over a mountain range and through a goddamn forest to reach this old sage's house. For what? So Tiz could be a colossal stooge and rob Ringabel of some much deserved cheesecake? So Onions could decide that "no, wait, guess I didn't need a special costume at all!" For one goofy scene that contributed absofuckinglutely nothing to the plot but required I walk all this way and fight a boss fight to get here? At least I didn't have to go the long way around but imagine if this shit was really happening to you:

Your home is destroyed. Or you betrayed your homeland. Or you have no memories at all. The world teeters on the brink of catastrophe. As in at any second the very world could just, you know, CEASE TO EXIST. You are constantly on the run from the mightiest military force in the world, and they're junior high atheists to boot. Monsters hound your every step. You reach the Crystal of Water and you can open the seal, fix it up, and seal it again, continuing your quest and managing the reconstruction of your hometown (which your horribly lazy sovereign dumped in your lap).

OR

You can go trudging around through some garden nation that is supposedly a wasteland (minus the flowers everyfuckingwhere) and listen to vapid women prattle about fashion for ever and ever while your team white mage insists upon NOT SAVING THE WORLD to respect her childhood friend's right to see some super rare religious ceremony take place (which is TOTALLY NOT A PLOY to see her childhood bestie again and DEFINITELY A LEGITIMATE reason to put off saving the goddamn world. Because saving the world is like a little league softball game and gosh I wish you'da been there! and not an urgent matter) which then requires that she participate in a beauty pageant to lure said bestie out of hiding (and drawing LOADS of attention to your own party, since the nation is CRAWLING with soldiers from aforementioned superpower) because you know, people come out of hiding for their lives to see Toddlers and Tiara's cuz Hunny Boo Boo jus that good. But WAIT, we better get a sexy dress for this pageant, 'cuz it's not like these low cut thigh displaying night slips she's been wearing since her days as a chaste nun married to a fucking rock are sexy IN THE LEAST BIT, so let's go hike across a goddamn continent, up a fucking mountain where an ornery turtle will ask us if we've heard about the good Lord when we're just trying to walk, through a big ass forest where we'll spend a night with some creepy old man (WHO WE KNEW WAS CREEPY BEFORE WE CAME ALL THIS WAY) creeps this girl out of wearing whatever outfit it is she was going to wear because "NOOO I DON'T WANNA ONIONCEPTABLE!!" and then we all laugh our asses off AND WALK THE WHOLE FUCKING WAY BACK.

The only reason I am not LIVID right now is because in game time this was easily accomplished, but if Tiz actually had a fucking penis or wasn't onionwhipped, maybe he could've saved some time or at least gotten to see this hilariously skimpy bikini for his troubles.

Man, Cecil would NOT put up with this shit. Do you know why he told Rosa and Rydia to get off his ship? Cuz he 1) he was drunk off his ass at the time, 2) FuSoYa swore up and down there'd be space chicks and 3) he knew he didn't have to go to the gosh darn moon to get Rosa to like him.

Tiz, here is what you do: let your evil brother kidnap Onions and brainwash Wingdings. Slap Wingaling upside the head, make out with Onions in front of his face, and then prevent Edea from ever having a relationship with anyone but you for the rest of your life.

Here is what you don't do: HIKE ACROSS A CONTINENT SO A GIRL CAN BE LIKE "NO I CHANGED MY MIND LOL."

Oh Sol, you act as if this game is just designed as a sequence of events that don't have any logical connection between them or something.

Heropon

So Cecil is the new Lightning now? I support this. Now I wonder how many other characters drink off-screen in your fan fiction.

I haven't told you yet, but I love your rants. Keep 'em coming.

Top Bottom