• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

aravuus

I cannot wait until you reach the game's major twist. I'm making the popcorn right now in anticipation.

Hell yes, should be entertaining

I mean even I went nuts when I got to that shit, and (apart from Agnes) I loved the game until that point

CorvoSol

So Cecil is the new Lightning now? I support this. Now I wonder how many other characters drink off-screen in your fan fiction.

I haven't told you yet, but I love your rants. Keep 'em coming.

I blame Schala. She named Rosa "Beer" and Cecil's love of the bottle stuck.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LOL. He's not even halfway through the game yet.

I blame Schala. She named Rosa "Beer" and Cecil's love of the bottle stuck.
Just wait until I do a playthrough of TAY.

Then you'll understand why Ceodore's a nonfactor in that game and why he sucks as a character.

CorvoSol

LOL. He's not even halfway through the game yet.

Just wait until I do a playthrough of TAY.

Then you'll understand why Ceodore's a nonfactor in that game and why he sucks as a character.

Ceodore doesn't even matter in his own chapter. That's why they fused it with
Kain's chapter
in the Wii version. All the same, Yang's much cooler daughter is still going to be forced to marry Ceodore, just because.

All the same, I did like that Ceodore told Wedge to shut his damn mouth after the fifth mention of "THE BLOOD OF KING CECIL AND QUEEN ROSA!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ceodore doesn't even matter in his own chapter. That's why they fused it with
Kain's chapter
in the Wii version. All the same, Yang's much cooler daughter is still going to be forced to marry Ceodore, just because.

All the same, I did like that Ceodore told Wedge to shut his damn mouth after the fifth mention of "THE BLOOD OF KING CECIL AND QUEEN ROSA!"
Well, you know.

In my version of events, he's half-beer.

Mr. RHC

Played a bit of Final Fantasy IV today, and boy, this game is punishing. MP is always low, enemies take no hits, characters are permanentely underleveled, there are no shops within reach.

This is gonna be a fun ride.

CorvoSol

Played a bit of Final Fantasy IV today, and boy, this game is punishing. MP is always low, enemies take no hits, characters are permanentely underleveled, there are no shops within reach.

Which version of FF4 are you playing? Because if it's the DS one then yes, that game puts on brass knuckles for its punches.

Bravely Default

On a more positive note, the Bloodrose Legion arc has actually be really, really good for Edea's character. As in, to the point where I feel this game would be MUCH better if Edea were the main character/ I feel like she basically IS the main character.

Mr. RHC

Which version of FF4 are you playing? Because if it's the DS one then yes, that game puts on brass knuckles for its punches.

GB Advance, I usually go for the version that is at least graphically comparable to the source material maybe with a little update.

Heropon

I don't remember MP being an issue except for a certain part of the game. Damned Tellah.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't remember MP being an issue except for a certain part of the game. Damned Tellah.
Well, as I went into a few years ago, Tellah sucks anyway. His stats goes down as he levels up and he sucks.

Did I mention that he sucks?

Especially in the face of Palom?

This means that Awaken triggers the only time he is sober, then, doesn't it?
You know, that actually makes sense.

See? I did good by naming Rosa "Beer".

NateDog

I hated some of the dungeons in IV, dunno if it was just me but from the FF games I've played IV easily had the most random encounters. And that bloody After Years final dungeon...

CorvoSol

In Tellah's defense he is DYING after all. And he's ANCIENT AS HELL. And unlike FuSoYa who has advanced Lunarian technology to keep him spry, Tellah is just plain old.

If TAY is to be believed, Tellah and Mysidia's Elders studied magic together when they were young. According to Edward's Secretary (Harley, I think?) magic and science are things which KluYa brought down to mankind. So Mysidia is either very new, or Lunarians live unnaturally long lifespans, since essentially
Tellah and the Mysidian Elder had to learn magic from Cecil's father.

At times I think that parts of KluYa's backstory aren't really well thought out, because this means that the Mysidian Legend is also either 1) not really very new at all or 2) really is old and KluYa made his touch-down much, much earlier than even the Elder of Mysidia's lifespan.

And this is before stopping and asking which Lunarians were responsible for building the Tower of Babel there, and why, if KluYa's plan to integrate with humanity was the victorious plan, did they build a tower capable of teleporting their most feared war machine to the Blue Planet?

Yes, I have spent too much time thinking about FF4's backstory.

Heropon

90 MP could be a decent amount if Tellah had better stats. His terrible output meant that you needed to cast high tier spells more often than usual to do decent numbers, saying goodbye to the already limited MP.

UQWUD.png

I always hated the encounters against these enemies. They aren't powerful but they waste too much of my precious time and that's worse in my book.

Bloodfeast. Bloodfeast. Bloodfeast. Bloodfeast.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
With a Game Genie or whatever them kids use to cheat nowadays, sure.

Just remember that as he levels up, his stats go down. You know. Because he's an old man and it cleverly makes sense story-wise.

I hated some of the dungeons in IV, dunno if it was just me but from the FF games I've played IV easily had the most random encounters. And that bloody After Years final dungeon...
It's not you. It's the perception:

n9dOe.png

The Sealed Cave sucks. I hate this place. I’m sure a lot of people do. The encounters here seem plentiful (but it’s likely because the maps are so freaking big and there are several doors to go through because you want the treasure), there are lots of forced fights if you want to enter those doors, and the dungeon is skippable (remember how I showed a glitch in a previous post? You can just enter here and get the scene you’re supposed to, and then skip the dungeon entirely).

i7u2h.png
K9VEt.png
bMTi7.png

I sorta want to bring attention to the dungeon design itself. It’s something I should like. It’s expansive, there are deadly traps everywhere, and it makes itself out to be a maze of sorts with the ropes and empty rooms. The ropes are interesting in that… well, you didn’t know if they were a straight line or if they went down. What’s nice about those is that there’s the animation for the character sliding (or quickly auto-walking on them), turning around, turning back around and quickly going up again if it’s a dead-end rope. I thought that was a relatively nice animation there.

Also, this place is filled with pits. If we were playing Zelda, we’d get swallowed up by the pits a lot because you can stand right on the edges there.

Finally, it’s a huge dungeon. There’s a lot of walking space around here. That’s why people get so pissed about the encounter rate around here. There’s a lot of ground to cover and because there’s a lot of ground to cover in each room, it feels like there are a ton of encounters in this dungeon.

I think the dungeon design, despite the fact that I don't like FF4 at all, is actually very good. The mapping is good, the evolution of the dungeons throughout the game is really good and culminates into the final dungeon very well with a lot of lessons learned outside of the two caves that force you to use float. In fact the learning and barriers that those two underground caves use to make sure that you're at the right level for the challenge is very good game design.

As much as I don't like FF4 and as much as I say that it's piss-easy outside of the DS version, I will say that parts of the game are very well-designed. Dungeons, especially.

Yes, I have spent too much time thinking about FF4's backstory.

That's cuz you write fanfiction about it all the time.

I always hated the encounters against these enemies. They aren't powerful but they waste too much of my precious time and that's worse in my book.

Bloodfeast. Bloodfeast. Bloodfeast. Bloodfeast.
Fuckin' Zubats, man. I will forever bitch about them because they waste the player's time so much.

CorvoSol

He's in an RPG.

In RPG years, he's already dead.

He's like, older than 40 years old, man! Do you have any idea how many old man diseases you could have? If he's like, 70 that's like, 700 in JRPG years!

(as opposed to being 1000, which Fire Emblem tells me is approximately Jail Bait Years Old.)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Which version does everyone here prefer? I like the Origins version, but for a speedrun sense, I'd go for the PSP version because it's easy.

I haven't played my original NES cart in years.

I like the Origins version the most, I prefer its art style over the PSP version and it retains a "normal" difficulty setting and just plays a bit better than the newer versions. The PSP one is nice, too, just not as nice. I don't really care for that bonus dungeon.

To be fair, though, Origins was the first version I played of this game (being a European and all) and I still haven't played much of the original version (I bought it on Wii VC...well and the Famicom 1+2 cartridge, but I don't really expect to ever really play it).

I liked it when I first played through it, but what really got me into the game was this somewhat old thread on GAF, even though I patheticly failed.

Ultratech

Which version does everyone here prefer? I like the Origins version, but for a speedrun sense, I'd go for the PSP version because it's easy.

I haven't played my original NES cart in years.

GBA?

Maybe I should play Origins and I might like that better.

GBA version is good, but kinda way too easy after a point.

Heropon

I liked it when I first played through it, but what really got me into the game was this somewhat old thread on GAF, even though I patheticly failed.

I didn't know about that thread, I should try to do one day a challenge like that. And that has reminded me of the incoming annual FF5FJ Fiesta. I can't wait for it!

I don't have clear what version is my favourite between Origins and PSP but I play more the latter thanks to the portability factor.
I hope my Vita gets fixed soon, mgrgrgr.

Ultratech

I didn't know about that thread, I should try to do one day a challenge like that. And that has reminded me of the incoming annual FF5FJ Fiesta. I can't wait for it!

I did a no-armor run of FF2 some time back.
It went pretty well until the Cyclone where enemies with over a certain threshold of Attack power (like 190?) just start wrecking you without constant use of Blink/Protect.
I kinda stopped after that, but it neat to see how far you could get with it.

I might be tempted to do a FF1 challenge run one of these days...just haven't decided when or what I'm going to do regarding that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And oh boy, I was happy when this guy joined my party.

I thought his powers
would be fueled with anger and revenge.

Guess I was WRONG.

I was so pissed.
Jesus,
Tellah almost killed this poor guy.
Edward's actually decent in the GBA endgame and the DS version because of his buffs.

In the GBA version, he gets really good Lunar Ruins stuff. If you're playing the US/AUS versions he won't be as good since the long-range stuff is messed up (and thus you'd have to keep him in the front row). If you're playing the JP/EU versions, stick him in the back row and he'll get rid of a lot of stuff.

His Loki's Lute in the JP/US versions is bugged and has no stat multipliers applied. The EU version of the game really is the best one if you want to use him as a straight-up attacker. After Level 70, his stats skyrocket, making him have the best raw stats in the game. The GBA port also has the Psycho Edward glitch, so if he's berserked and low on HP, he'll be put into Hide status. But he thing is, he'll keep appearing onscreen to attack because he's berserked, but the game still puts him in hide status, so he's invincible... until everyone else dies and he has to come out of hiding. :V

I think the DS version's Bardsong is really good because debuffs seem more important in that version, and Salve is a quick heal without a white mage.

I do have the wonderswan versions of 1, 2, and 4, but I don't play them as often as the other versions. Mostly because I'd only recently reacquired a Wonderswan Colour.

I like the Origins version the most, I prefer its art style over the PSP version and it retains a "normal" difficulty setting and just plays a bit better than the newer versions. The PSP one is nice, too, just not as nice. I don't really care for that bonus dungeon.

To be fair, though, Origins was the first version I played of this game (being a European and all) and I still haven't played much of the original version (I bought it on Wii VC...well and the Famicom 1+2 cartridge, but I don't really expect to ever really play it).

Oh man, I forgot about that thread. I only lurked then, but it was really freaking interesting. I'd love to do one of those myself one day.

Man, I miss old GAF Plays threads. Those were the bomb. I was looking through a few of them a few weeks ago, but the conversation I had with others implied that GAF is a little big for that right now. Even something like the GAF Plays: FF / SMT / Zelda threads might not work as well these days because a lot of stuff can get buried. I think those were the last major ones. But I think there's still a chance for them if enough people get into it.

I had been meaning to post a GAF Plays: Legend of Legaia thread since last year. I really really want to post it this year but in the face of E3 and the FF5JF, I'm not sure if I should. I wouldn't mind just getting it up there, though. I've been meaning to do a LoL replay for a looong time.

GBA?

Maybe I should play Origins and I might like that better.

GBA version is good, but kinda way too easy after a point.
You should try the Origins version since it's more balanced and retains a lot of the NES features of the game.

The GBA version is balanced more in the easy side along with the PSP version. At the same time, a lot of people really like those versions since they readily use MP vs spell charges.

I like the PSP version the best, the glorious soundtrack remasters are what makes it so much better for me.
Chaos Shrine
Underwater Shrine

Love ff1 :)
I actually like some of the PSP versions of the secret boss music too. I know some of them are a little off, but I thought it was neat for a 20th anniversary thing.

Holykael1

Banned
Holy Shit Legend of Legaia... I played that game as a kid. Wonderful battle system. Tons of fun finding all the moves, fighting battles was actually something I looked forward to. I really enjoyed the totally not summons associated with both the story and the character's abilities in battle.
I actually really really want to play through it, I never played it until the end.

I would join that thread, it would be a good excuse to knock it out of my backlog.

CorvoSol

People don't express their love for the first Final Fantasy enough.

I actually really like FF1. Especially after Dissidia went and dressed it up all pretty. I always go for the generic party, though. Warrior, WM, BM, and Thief. Which is a shame because I love RM and would love to have him onboard, too.

My favorite areas of FF1 are the Cardian Isles and Onrac, because you meet dragons and mermaids there, and that shit was neato when I was a kid. My least favorite part of the game is the Mirage Tower to Floating Fortress marathon.

The best songs in the game are the themes of the Chaos Temple and Gurgu Volcano.

And Kary is the best of the four Fiends.

And oh boy, I was happy when this guy joined my party.

I thought his powers
would be fueled with anger and revenge.

Guess I was WRONG.

I was so pissed.
Jesus,
Tellah almost killed this poor guy.

The fun thing about Edward is that he sucks ass in the original version and every consequent version of FF4 has taken steps to improve him as a character. In the DS and PSP versions he's pretty okay, and in TAY he's actually one of the cooler characters. (ShutupsomepeopleinTAYarecool).

CorvoSol

I was actually thinking that, after I finish my RPG backlog this summer, we should consider starting a new GAF plays FF thread, but I dunno. I don't have the heart to make Jucksalbe chronicle all of that again.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've never played Legend of Legaia, but looking at some videos, the combat system doesn't look like something I'd enjoy, so I'd pass on a thread about it.

I don't have the heart to make Jucksalbe chronicle all of that again.

Pff....I chronicle everything. It's just that certain people putting five games in one post made it a bit more work than it looked like.

Mr. RHC

Edward's actually decent in the GBA endgame and the DS version because of his buffs.
After Level 70, his stats skyrocket,

Looks like I'm bound to put some effort into this character.
The fun thing about Edward is that he sucks ass in the original version and every consequent version of FF4 has taken steps to improve him as a character. In the DS and PSP versions he's pretty okay, and in TAY he's actually one of the cooler characters. (ShutupsomepeopleinTAYarecool).

Could he really have sucked more ass than he currently does? xD I find that hard to believe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edward was terrible in the SNES/SFC/PS1 versions. He never got to live up to his potential, even in HardType, because debuffs weren't usually needed and it's honestly better when you have a list of songs to choose from or if you get him in endgame.

I've never played Legend of Legaia, but looking at some videos, the combat system doesn't look like something I'd enjoy, so I'd pass on a thread about it.
It's more or less a turn-based system where you just input a combination of commands to execute an attack. I'll explain it better in the GAF Plays OP than what I have in my draft:

I think most folks would agree that the best/most well-known aspect of Legend of Legaia is its combat system. It’s turn-based, and at the beginning of each round the player must input commands for each character. The order of action is determined by, as usual, the speed stat. What’s different about this system is that it’s called the Tactical Arts System (TAS) whereby the player doesn’t just select attack at each turn to fight, but rather, they must input a series of commands in order to execute combos and specify the location of the attack. Each direction will have different ranges of effectiveness depending on the enemy’s equipment or height.

Strings of attacks can execute combos called “Arts”. These combos can deal more damage than a standard attack string. AP is needed to execute Arts, and the player can charge this up by using the Spirit command (essentially the “defend” option). Arts can be divided into regular arts (regular combos), Hyper Arts (elementally-based), Special Arts (chained combinations of regular arts), and Miracle Arts (the characters’ ultimate attacks).

The amount of attacks that the player can execute is determined by the character’s action bar. If you level up, your action bar will naturally increase. You can also increase it by selecting the Spirit command, but it will only increase up to its maximum potential for the character’s level reached so far.

Legend of Legaia’s magic and summoning systems is essentially the same thing. When a Ra-seru-wearing character defeats a Seru, there’s a chance that they’ll absorb the Seru to gain a new spell/summon. These spells can be leveled up by using them more often.
But yeah, at the same time, it isn't for everyone. I just really like that it's a Fighter-RPG hybrid of sorts. (Honestly, I like it a lot because it saved me from a summer of playing Beyond the stupid Beyond.)

It's got cool minigames. A rhythm dance-off game, Baka Fighter (RPS-style beat-em-up), Muscle Dome, fishing, etc.

Pff....I chronicle everything. It's just that certain people putting five games in one post made it a bit more work than it looked like.
Psst... Corvo... I think Jucksalbe's talkin' about you... :V

Holykael1

Banned
The best FF IV character is Edge.

I like Kain the best. You could say he is the beginning of the "emo" and "angsty" FF characters ahah.(I don't actually believe they are emo and angsty for clarification. I like troubled characters if their reasons are understandable.)

Messiah

I am playing Final Fantasy XIII at the moment and I am just about one hour from finishing the game. I've got to say, I can't really understand all the flak it gets. Reading some impressions of the game, I expected something like ET for the Atari2600, but was pleasantly surprised.

I mean the characters are really dumb, but still I really enjoyed the story thus far. I was genuinly blown away by the CGI-scenes, they were really impressive.

The combat system is really interesting, although it becomes tactical way to late in my opinion. And it blows, that you can only control one character at a time and the AI is really not that good.

The best thing about the game is the Soundtrack. It is easily one of my favourite Final Fantasy Soundtracks. Sucks that they replaced Kimi ga iru kara with this Leona Lewis song though.

I didn't really mind the linearity.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've got to say, I can't really understand all the flak it gets. Reading some impressions of the game, I expected something like ET for the Atari2600, but was pleasantly surprised.

Haha, it's certainly not E.T., but people also had quite different expectations of a Final Fantasy game. It's an "okay" game in a series of excellent games.

Messiah

Haha, it's certainly not E.T., but people also had quite different expectations of a Final Fantasy game. It's an "okay" game in a series of excellent games.

Yeah, I can see that. I think my lowered expectations really benefitted my experience with the game.

After I am finished with XIII it is time for XIII-2. I am curious to see it's crazy story.

Holykael1

Banned
That's more or less how I felt when I played 13 but instead of thinking the characters were dumb, I thought the dialogue was kinda bad but still enjoyable in it's own cheesy way. I did however like the characters.
I guess the reason I got so defensive about it soon after finishing it was because I could not believe how overblown the hate was.
Played it like 1-2 months ago after hearing years of vitriol against it.

Yeah, I can see that. I think my lowered expectations really benefitted my experience with the game.

After I am finished with XIII it is time for XIII-2. I am curious to see it's crazy story.

I enjoyed the sequels much more tbh. They have better gameplay/pacing/lore and the character development is improved imo aswell. Not to mention that XIII-2 had a really good villain, something XIII lacked.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I did a writeup on ET a long time ago and I really don't think it's as bad as people say it is.

After going back and platinuming FF13, I don't think it's that bad. It's just an average game to me, and the game mostly shines in postgame or the late-game hunts. Pretty decent for a battle system that was mostly laid down six months before release. I'd say it works better in-game than it did in the Advent Children Complete Demo I'd played beforehand.

The worst thing was that Auto-Battle was set as the game's default way of selecting commands and I think the prologue could have been shortened (even if it was the game's vertical slice in terms of a demo, that's probably too long to get running so players can experience character growth vs using the same stuff repeatedly for an hour or two). So, I guess FF13 ended up making a poor first impression, and that's the thing that's going to linger with everyone.

Holykael1

Banned
The worst thing was that Auto-Battle was set as the game's default way of selecting commands and I think the prologue could have been shortened (even if it was the game's vertical slice in terms of a demo, that's probably too long to get running so players can experience character growth vs using the same stuff repeatedly for an hour or two). So, I guess FF13 ended up making a poor first impression, and that's the thing that's going to linger with everyone.

Indeed. I always tell people to disable auto battle.. I get why they had it as a default command but it was pretty stupid nonetheless. It's like they were afraid people wouldn't get the battle system or something.

I always roll my eyes when I see someone bringing the "IT HAZ NO GAMEPLAYZ" criticism..

Top Bottom