• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

This would be amazing, I would pay big monies for that. Unfortunately I don't really see us getting any figures from before VII. I know the Dragoon Variant (if you guys haven't seen it check it out by the way: http://store.na.square-enix.com/sto...eID.29853700/productID.298929100#.U3kcqPldWSo ) is more or less Kain but for some reason they won't officially call it that, not sure if it's a licensing issue or something, but anyway they've said that this is just based off the Dragoon in XIV.

Oh, no, I meant the Terra on Magitek armor that already exists.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
FF Variant figures aren't tied to any FF. Just a new take on a past design.

For example. Bahamut.

FFV_BAHA_bg01.jpg

Style

Banned
Hello everyone, I did not know there was an active community thread for the Final Fantasy series! I mostly hang out in the Persona community thread, but I guess I will check in more often here too.
Final Fantasy 9 was my first home console game and since then I have been playing a bunch of them and generally love the series. I will keep an eye out for this thread :D

This would be amazing, I would pay big monies for that. Unfortunately I don't really see us getting any figures from before VII. I know the Dragoon Variant (if you guys haven't seen it check it out by the way: http://store.na.square-enix.com/sto...eID.29853700/productID.298929100#.U3kcqPldWSo ) is more or less Kain but for some reason they won't officially call it that, not sure if it's a licensing issue or something, but anyway they've said that this is just based off the Dragoon in XIV.

That dragoon looks like something from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Levyne

Banned
Welcome! I should post in PersonaGAF sometimes. They scare me though.

That chatlog is pretty humorous, Beef. You've got a good funnybone on you.

CorvoSol

Bravely Default

WOW. I didn't think Onions could be a bigger bitch. We get to Eisenberg and Edea SAVES HER GODDAMN LIFE, taking insult and injury from her old master in the process, and Onions is basically just "Bitch don't touch me!" and then the Shieldbearers are like "PLEASE HELP US WE ARE TRYING TO PREVENT FURTHER WARFARE." and Onions is like "Fuck no, I am a symbol of international hope and charity, you will give me all your time and effort, and I will do fuck all for you, including inspiring you or giving you hope!" And they're all "Oh, okay." Then when it looks like it's going to be a long time before we can reach the fire temple, she's like "Well fuck this place, then, let's go get the Earth Crystal!" and Edea mentions that's a ridiculous proposal since you know, we can't even fucking fly, and Onions is all "OH YEAH I BET YOU'RE LYING AGAIN AREN'T YOU YOU SLUT!"

In SPITE of the above complaint, I feel the plot has really hit its stride and I'm enjoying the game a great deal. Ringabell and Edea are pretty solid characters, and the game is smart enough to question Edea's worldview as we go. There's like, a bit of worry that that's leading to some boneheaded twist
NO WE GOTTA LIGHT THE LIGHTHOUSES, ISAAC. THE WISE ONE IS A DICK!
but otherwise we're chugging along at an enjoyable pace and the music is doing wonderfully.

Praline a la Mode is sort of a strange name for anyone, though.

PK Gaming

Yeah it moves insanely fast

And there's always something of note happening nearly every week

It's a lot of fun, but I can see why people might be turned off

Wazzy

Banned
they do 3 figures for Dissidia and they pick 3 characters that have had figs made before and only one, Squall, has a slightly different design.

that deserves a Statue or "Static Arts", sadly this is all they've made so far

I'm not a fan of Squall's body looking strangly skinny but otherwise the figures are still nice even if they've had multiple ones.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, it does. Steam thread is probably my fastest subscription.

My couple forays into anime gaf just seemed like a bunch of people summarizing what they've watched and not a lot of talking to each other. However, I don't watch much anime nor visit the thread often so that's probably being a bit unfair.

Edit: Flipping through the last few pages it actually seems a lot better than whatever I was remembering.

AnimGAF is good people. I don't actually watch enough anime to post there but they actually read people's reactions and thoughts on things and comment on them.

Better than ManGAF which is either like 4 people engaged in a circular discussion except on Wednesdays when everyone's talking about either how terrible Naruto/Bleach are or how amazing One Piece is :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The last anime thread I posted in was Psycho-Pass before I dropped it, and I don't really watch as much anime as I did a few years ago to warrant posting in the season threads.

I've probably posted in a lot of the community threads since they began to make them, but a bulk of them kinda died. Either way, I really like the ones I've stuck to, even if they did die off after one recent game in their series was released (ex: Zelda with Skyward Sword and Nintendo releasing the official timeline, and Kirby with Mass Attack/Return to Dream Land and the announcement of Triple Deluxe, for example.)

Heck, the original Kingdom Hearts Community thread died out of inactivity: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485328
...while someone else made one without knowing there was already a community thread.

Either way, the reason why some people don't see community threads in the community tab is partially because they don't get bumped as often enough as the OTs brought over to community do. I'll admit that I never liked the "bring OTs to community after a month" rule since it makes the actual gaming forum look more and more like a news aggregate (and it truly does; a lot of people feel the same), but that's a conversation for another day. I really do feel bad when people clearly spend a lot of time on LTTP threads and they get lost in the shuffle on the main forum because it's a busy news day, so you do have to time your posting.

NateDog

Hello everyone, I did not know there was an active community thread for the Final Fantasy series! I mostly hang out in the Persona community thread, but I guess I will check in more often here too.
Final Fantasy 9 was my first home console game and since then I have been playing a bunch of them and generally love the series. I will keep an eye out for this thread :D

That dragoon looks like something from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Yeah I know the colours are a bit out there (first time I saw it all I could think of was Dark Magician from Yu-Gi-Oh) but I still love the design and detail. I wish they'd do an all blue one. They are doing a limited edition one that's I think grey and some other colour but I actually prefer the original colour scheme, although his hair in the LE version is blonde making it the definite Kain. Prices are awful though. I nabbed a pre-order for €82, everywhere else it's €100 minimum and the only place where I found the LE (Play-Asia) had it for about €110 last time I checked I think.

Also welcome! (Although it's probably a little silly for me to say welcome since I'm fairly new too.)

Levyne

Banned
KH thread bit is humorous. Dreamdrop's arrival (and badcrumble) keep that thread going. FE thread is pretty darn slow, sadly. I guess a lot of people post in the Awakening OT. This thread has a good pace. Toonami has a decent pace even if I don't know how I ended up there (I blame Seda)

Seems pretty common that LTTP threads get ~50 posts. They are fairly frequent though.

Heropon

I don't watch anime so it would be difficult for me to post in there.

So I went to the city centre and bought Kirby Triple Deluxe (great so far) and an elusive copy of Crisis Core. Now I don't know if I want to interrupt my TAY playthrough and start it or finally finish it to free some space. I want to play everything at the same time! Currently doing: Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, The After Years and Kirby. And I'm not counting the Vita games I can't play like X-2 and Hotline Miami. I shouldn't start so many games at the same time.

Levyne

Banned
I'm the exact opposite. I can't remember the last time I was mid playthrough of two titles. I guess I get obsessive and have to start and finish one thing at a time. I eat my dinners the same way.

Holykael1

Banned
Damn.. that's some heavy load.
I personally have a maximum of 2-3 games going at the same time and they have to be pretty different from each other. I'll never have 2 very story driven games going at the same time or 2 JRPG's. It's my preferred way of maximizing enjoyment with a such a big backlog to work through. Usually I only have 1 game going at a time though.

Heropon

I think my approach in this is horrible but I have this bad habit of starting things and then leave them uncompleted. I'm going to finish some games, see ya later, GAF.

Holykael1

Banned
Remember completion doesn't count if you don't platinum.

I disagree. Sometimes platinums have completely pointless trophies like beating bosses under time limits. To me completion is simply doing everything the game has to offer. beat all the secret bosses, sidequests and story.
Mastering on the other hand is literally collecting everything and do everything ever omg asdkpoasjd.

In Nier I got all endings, did all sidequests and still didn't get the Platinum because there are some arbitrary made up challenges to get all trophies. I consider that a completion nonetheless.

I use http://backloggery.com/holykael1 for keeping record

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
While some LTTP threads get ~50 posts, there are many that don't even get 20 posts. Some in-depth ones stay below 10 posts, or they don't get posts at all. There was a time where many LTTP threads got at least some posts in them since they weren't likely to be buried.

Maybe separate gaming news from gaming discussion in a tab, and maybe games discussion might actually have a chance again. Like I usually say, I just come here to talk about games, really.

Communities may die, but SonicGAF will live forever.
You're just sayin' that cuz we started it since we turned almost every OT/Announcement thread into community threads and talk to each other off of GAF anyway. I miss streaming for you guys. I might start doing that again when I have time to spare. Even if you guys watched me play kusoge or stuff that made us feel uncomfortable, I kinda had fun doing it since you were suffering with me.

I don't watch anime so it would be difficult for me to post in there.

So I went to the city centre and bought Kirby Triple Deluxe (great so far) and an elusive copy of Crisis Core. Now I don't know if I want to interrupt my TAY playthrough and start it or finally finish it to free some space. I want to play everything at the same time! Currently doing: Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, The After Years and Kirby. And I'm not counting the Vita games I can't play like X-2 and Hotline Miami. I shouldn't start so many games at the same time.
Play Kirby Triple Deluxe. I haven't finished writing impressions of it yet, but it's honestly one of my favourite games of the year.

While I'm kinda playing a boatload of games atm, I'm mostly concentrating on one per system. I got 90% in Kirby Triple Deluxe but I want to finish off its final mode, and I'm going to finish Granstream Saga very soon (it was longer than I expected it'd be). Otherwise NES Remix 2, Amnesia V Edition, and Neptunia Victory are going to take priority on other systems since I'd like to finish them. For PC, it's down to Kero Blaster and Love. I'll play more mobile stuff when I start school again (as I hear Agito is kinda okay when you get into it, but Mana apparently feels like the better game).

Plus I have the Legaia thread to post today cuz Noi's finally finished exams.

I've finished 35 games this year already, so eh.

Trophy whore enthusiast. :V

NateDog

Quite tempted by XIV currently, especially with the price of the CE on PS3 on Amazon UK. Only thing is I'm not sure when I'll be getting a PS4 and so I might not be able to make use of the free upgrade in time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala, isn't the Legaia thread going to succumb to E3 news?
Probably will. I don't see a lot of news being posted today with a quick glance at gaming side. Will likely get buried next week the week after next with all the "E3 BEAR?! CRATE PICTURES! Spannnnuuuuund! Satoru Iwata een bom zal droppen!!!" threads being posted, though.

Let's blame Noi cuz he didn't want me to post it until he was finished finals. :V (j/k)

I'll try to keep it updated enough along with folks who said they were interested. I wanted to get it out of the way before the FF5JF and AGDQ started.

CorvoSol

I can't decide if the Valkyrie class in Bravely Default is useless or if I just haven't figured out how to work it right. Like, you can't Bravex4 it and use abilities like jump with it, so I'm not sure how to do it yet.

Red Mage's revenge ability is amazing, though. Convert MP is sort of not that great. I mean, conceptually it's fine, but you get so little MP from it and Summoner wastes so much MP that it's not as effective as it could be. Archer is pretty good, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't decide if the Valkyrie class in Bravely Default is useless or if I just haven't figured out how to work it right. Like, you can't Bravex4 it and use abilities like jump with it, so I'm not sure how to do it yet.

Red Mage's revenge ability is amazing, though. Convert MP is sort of not that great. I mean, conceptually it's fine, but you get so little MP from it and Summoner wastes so much MP that it's not as effective as it could be. Archer is pretty good, though.
Wait until you get High Jump and Time Mage's Hasten World (unless one of your BD friends has it and you can just use that).

Then you can just high jump over and over with four characters (one has to be equipped with Hasten World ; forgot it was a sub-ability) without getting hit at all and throw on Auto. Brave once, and make everyone use high jump. Set on Auto and you broke the game.

edit: lol, magius.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Support abilities/subjobs break the game. It's how you get a huge influx of cash and AP.

I like the Crescent Moon (ex: brave twice, equip spd+ abilities, and jobs that have higher atk pwr) one. It lets you get rid of enemies pretty fast and can get AP bonuses if you're fighting enemies that have larger parties. Otherwise High Jump+Hasten World is great for bosses outside of some of the townbuilding bosses that SE sends you.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Seems pretty common that LTTP threads get ~50 posts. They are fairly frequent though.

I grew a bit tired of LTTP threads, just because for some games they repeat sooo often. But that's just me personally, there should be enough people for every new LTTP thread, so it's a shame they kind of get buried.

I shouldn't start so many games at the same time.

I used to do that, too. And I guess I still play too much stuff at once, but keeping a Backloggery account really helped me to focus more on actually finishing games. I still have a huge backlog, though.

I have a quite a few platinums and I regret getting most of them. So much wasted time.

CorvoSol

I don't think I will ever fight those Superbosses. I struggle with this game's regular boss fights, can't imagine it's super bosses.

It's amazing how user friendly this game is, though. I'm playing Persona 2: IS at the moment and that game is just so terrible compared to this in how it plays.

Heropon

It's amazing how user friendly this game is, though. I'm playing Persona 2: IS at the moment and that game is just so terrible compared to this in how it plays.

Don't talk shit about my Persona 2. :mad:

But seriously, it caught me off guard how slow battles were after playing the first one. Now that I think about it, I was more focused back then when I completed the Persona series and I could play and finish games one at a time.

CorvoSol

Don't talk shit about my Persona 2. :mad:

But seriously, it caught me off guard how slow battles were after playing the first one. Now that I think about it, I was more focused back then when I completed the Persona series and I could play and finish games one at a time.

I wish I could have played Persona 2 10 years ago or something. As I am now Innocent Sin is far and away the weakest game in the series. Persona 1 was a better game than this, and Persona 1 had an even worse demon system.

I want to like Persona 2, but so far it just really hasn't clicked with me.

Messiah

So, I've put around 15 hours into XIII-2 and I really like it so far. Gameplay wise it is a huge improvement to XIII. I really like time travels gameplaywise.

The story is really weird though. I really hate time travels storywise.
Except for Chrono Trigger
:p

Heropon

I was going throught the ultimate final dungeon without Rydia because "Let's level up a little this Ceodore brat a bit" and then a Eidolon suddenly appears that acts as a damage sponge too. After a looooong battle it seems that I needed Rydia to recruit her, and now I have to go back to the dimensional elevator... I think I've had enough of this for today.

CorvoSol

Wazzy

Banned
So I think I'm going to cosplay as a female Squall for PAX Prime. I've never cosplayed before so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it lol

My friend is going as Apollo.

CorvoSol

So I think I'm going to cosplay as a female Squall for PAX Prime. I've never cosplayed before so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it lol

My friend is going as Apollo.

If I had the clothes for it, I would go to Church dressed as Apollo every damn Sunday. I love that suit.

Top Bottom