• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

SougoXIII

Hey I don't want FFXV to be the savior of JRPGs, just for it to not stink as much as 13 and its abominations did. I'd say that it's a reasonable goal.

CorvoSol

Bravely Default
On the one hand, I feel guilty that getting the Ninja Asterisk cost two people their lives.

On the other hand, the murder mystery was kind of silly, dumb, but also fun.

Fucking sick of Egil's shit, though.

CorvoSol

I need opinions on which DS Crystal Chronicles game to get: Rings of Fate or Echoes of Time. Any feedback would be great.

I never played RoF, but Echoes of Time wasn't half bad, I felt. Pretty challenging, you can build your party and their AI isn't horribad, has bonus characters to recruit, too. Game's plot is half and half. On the one hand, cat girl was lame and dumb and stupid. The villain himself was no genius either, and he was hardly difficult to figure out, but his theme was pretty darn good.

Ultratech

I need opinions on which DS Crystal Chronicles game to get: Rings of Fate or Echoes of Time. Any feedback would be great.

RoF has the better story, EoT has the better gameplay/mechanics.

Honestly, I'd go with EoT, just because it'll play much better and the AI isn't braindead stupid. (it's still bad, but in RoF, it's just awful).

Though frankly, both play pretty similarly.

CorvoSol

and Ladies & Gentlemen shots fired!

pMWrLBW.png

Oh, Tets. You know whose hair I liked in a recent Western game? Joel's from The Last of Us. Man had great hair despite the end of the world.

Honestly, though not all of Nomura's hair is horrible. Some is fucking crazy (Sora, Nooj), but some of it is the right kind of stylish, like in Type-0 (mullets, fuck yeah!)

Falk

that puzzling face
That quote's actually from last year, and Sora's hairstyle is as normal as normal gets, what are you talking about D:

Falk

that puzzling face
And here I was joking that Noel literally looked like a Kingdom Hearts character.
jCq5twk.gif

Edit: Really now, I guess Cloud kinda desensitized me to what's 'normal'
3-53.jpg

cloud_strife_wallpaper_by_meanhonkey1980-d47goc7.jpg

CorvoSol

Cloud's head, along with Snow's in XIII-2, kinda suffers from looking like a Chocobo's ass. That said, I still think it's less crazy than Sora's. I mean Sora's every follicle ends in a jagged point and extends out the sides of his head.

I don't know how much I'm really willing to make it sound like I'm ripping Sora, though, since KH runs on Saturday Morning Cartoon rules.

Red Mage

So, I've been playing SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend again... and boy do humans suck. By the time I got enough money to boost my human's stats decently, the mutants had superior stats already. Think I'll restart with 3 Mutants and a Monster...

CorvoSol

In FFL2 my party is Human Guy, Mutant Girl, Robot and Monster. They are Crow, Jean (geddit? Mutant woman? Jean? GEDDIT?), Zero (GEDDIT?) and Joao, the magical shape shifting Apostle.

Human males in FFL2 were okay. Mutants have an advantage of gaining new powers as the show goes on. Monsters are a bag of mixing.

Robots are where it is at, though. In FFL2 I loaded down my robot with swords and armor and he was an invincible killing machine. Like, I cannot stress how much better the Robot race is than the other three in the games.

Still, Crow, Jean, Zero and Joao are my team for Legends/SaGa games. I should really play the series beyond the GB era someday.

I have the remake of SaGa 2 translated on my DS. It's right there next to Wizard of Oz JRPG, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and Bowser's Inside story as DS RPGs I really ought to be playing. Someday. When I get through DQ4 and TWEWY.

Square, if you can hear me, I will forgive all of your sins if you make TWEWY2 for 3DS or Vita. But I will damn you to Hell if you make it iOS exclusive you filthy sons of bitches.

Ultratech

In FFL2 my party is Human Guy, Mutant Girl, Robot and Monster. They are Crow, Jean (geddit? Mutant woman? Jean? GEDDIT?), Zero (GEDDIT?) and Joao, the magical shape shifting Apostle.

Human males in FFL2 were okay. Mutants have an advantage of gaining new powers as the show goes on. Monsters are a bag of mixing.

Robots are where it is at, though. In FFL2 I loaded down my robot with swords and armor and he was an invincible killing machine. Like, I cannot stress how much better the Robot race is than the other three in the games.

Still, Crow, Jean, Zero and Joao are my team for Legends/SaGa games. I should really play the series beyond the GB era someday.

I have the remake of SaGa 2 translated on my DS. It's right there next to Wizard of Oz JRPG, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and Bowser's Inside story as DS RPGs I really ought to be playing. Someday. When I get through DQ4 and TWEWY.

Square, if you can hear me, I will forgive all of your sins if you make TWEWY2 for 3DS or Vita. But I will damn you to Hell if you make it iOS exclusive you filthy sons of bitches.

Yeah, the SaGa 2 remake was pretty awesome, though the final boss is a real bitch.
My original party in my first run was similar to yours, with a Human Guy, Mutant Female, a Robot, and a monster that became a mutated Titania. (Or whatever the uber-strong fairy type was.)

I remember some of the extra stuff like the Arenas being pretty crazy (especially the one that throws crazy-strong SWARMS of enemies at you).

Hello Gang. Not sure if anyone knows this ,but SE's NA merchandise division is hosting a contest to see who can do the best pose with PlayArts or PlayArtsKai figures.

You can submit as many pics as you want as long as its PAs or PAKs of FF figs and not modified. You must tweet your pics to @SQEX_MD_NA with #PlayArtsPose.

The grand prize is this Variant (more expensive) Dragoon PAK:

The winners will be announced at around E3.So if anyone here has FF figs, have at it and good luck.
more details:http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/square-enix-merchandise-twitter-contest

Retweets and Favs are a factor. So if anyone wants to help me win, you'll find my submissions here: https://twitter.com/DragmireG/media

Falk

that puzzling face
Not outside the realm of possibility - the series (outside of pre-ARR FF14) has had a different main composer for each entry since 12. I'd wager it's going to have a lot to do with the overall aesthetic of the game though. 10 and 13 for example have a very distinct blend of the franchise tropes which translates into their musical identity, somewhat.

dc89

TEeRBYA.jpg

Just ordered that from Qwertee. £10 or thereabouts including shipping.
P.S - at time of posting you have 14 hours and 23 minutes to order one before they go off sale.

Red Mage

Yeah, but in FFL1, you have to buy their stats. I should start a new game and name the human Ba(r)ry (Bonds). = o

Also, you should play DQ/DW 5. Best one of the series.

CorvoSol

DQ5 is the one where you pick the guy a wife, right? Maybe some day. Really need to cut down the RPG backlog, not add to it, haha.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you didn't obsess over small stuff so much, you wouldn't have such a backlog. ;)

Anyway, you really should try DQ5 if you have the chance (and time). It's a great game with a wonderful story ("best in the series" would be 7, though, but that's poison for your backlog).

CorvoSol

If you didn't obsess over small stuff so much, you wouldn't have such a backlog. ;)

Anyway, you really should try DQ5 if you have the chance (and time). It's a great game with a wonderful story ("best in the series" would be 7, though, but that's poison for your backlog).

I'm less obsessive now than I used to be. Like old me would absolutely have done the grinding necessary for Ultimate Personas and such in P1-P2EP. Current me is like "Screw it, gimme max cards and I'll fuse whatever I'm at the level for."

I'm still bad in Pokemon, though. 3 teams is more than I need for story mode, considering my A-string is level 70.

Good lord I still have Tales of the Abyss to get to. I wonder if its safe to go back to Tales of Community or not. I kinda harped one time too many on ToA and they did not seem happy.

CorvoSol

Nah, the Tales community always welcomes a chance to hate on Abyss. Not like they have anything else to do right now.

You know, I haven't gotten that far in Abyss, but I kinda felt like on the one hand, while Luke was an absolute douche, sometimes he was right to be so. Like, I felt like the party was pressuring him into killing people and I didn't like that. I mean yes, you're gonna have to do that, but they weren't exactly appreciative of it. Jade was 50-50 for me. Half the time he was an insufferable doucheking, the other half of the time he was a doucheking who was right.

Mostly I liked Tear, though, cuz I liked her design looking like a string instrument. The chief problem I have with the game is it uses waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many weird terms for things. Like it's hard to explain it, other than that I think it crosses lines when dropping terms like "Daathic Fonic Artes". Even when I know what a Daathic Fonic Arte is, it just feels like it is too much, y'know? I felt like it wanted to do world building with all its terms, but it sorta went overboard or something.

I'll get to it again eventually, after I finish Bravely Default and Pokemon X.

Enthus

So I was just about to beat FF III on Steam, and I was wondering why everyone was hating on the Crystal Tower. It wasn't very hard, and the bosses weren't too bad. Then I fight Cloud of Darkness for the second time, kill both of her tentacles, and almost make a killing blow, except she fires particle beam and wipes out all of my heals. Now I'm back to the beginning of Crystal Tower.

Fuck Crystal Tower.

CorvoSol

So I was just about to beat FF III on Steam, and I was wondering why everyone was hating on the Crystal Tower. It wasn't very hard, and the bosses weren't too bad. Then I fight Cloud of Darkness for the second time, kill both of her tentacles, and almost make a killing blow, except she fires particle beam and wipes out all of my heals. Now I'm back to the beginning of Crystal Tower.

Fuck Crystal Tower.

And in Schala's allegedly superior NES version you'd have gone back even further!

Enthus

And in Schala's allegedly superior NES version you'd have gone back even further!

Sweet baby Jesus, no.

This time I'm actually going to equip Ribbons to my Knight and Dragoon. I didn't before and wasted probably 3 or 4 turns getting my Knight back from being a frog. I totally would have killed CoD if it weren't for that.

Noi

Re: FF shirts, I bought this a while back from teefury and I don't even like FF8 that much. I just thought it was really cool and I dig shirts that don't use text.

JnQLbTf.png

CorvoSol

That is a really neat shirt, actually. I wear a lot of vg shirts but I don't ever buy them. People just give them to me, and a free shirt is a free shirt.

Levyne

Banned
I probably could buy more vg shirts. Subtle stuff like that, that isn't in your face GAMING TSHIRT. It would mean a little more than just random symbols/pictures. "What does that mean?" Oh I don't know.

Noi

I probably could buy more vg shirts. Subtle stuff like that, that isn't in your face GAMING TSHIRT. It would mean a little more than just random symbols/pictures. "What does that mean?" Oh I don't know.

Yeah, the ones where you get it if you've played the source material even a little bit are my favorites. I end up shaking my head at a lot of shirts that have some neat minimalist artwork but then ruin it by having a HALO or GOD OF WAR or KINGDOM HEARTS caption at the bottom. Even worse still is when it's some dumb non-name caption that ruins a lot of good shirts, like the ones that Capcom was selling for Megaman's last anniversary.

LCMmxGa.jpg
MmfWRkn.jpg

Ultratech

Eh? Final Save spot is the exact same: Just right outside the Tower.

Not too sure how you'd go back much further...unless I"m missing something here?

NES version is still better.

Sweet baby Jesus, no.

This time I'm actually going to equip Ribbons to my Knight and Dragoon. I didn't before and wasted probably 3 or 4 turns getting my Knight back from being a frog. I totally would have killed CoD if it weren't for that.

Yeah, there's a reason there are Ribbons in each of the boss rooms.
Getting hit by Status on the CoD sucks.

Fou-Lu

I have now finished FFX for the first time, my play through of FF has taken me through eleven (also played Tactics) games so far in the past year and a half and all of them were amazing. I plan on going back and playing the side games at some point, but I am not sure if I want to play X-2 now, or take a break from Spira and play XII Intenational, which I have also never finished.

Part of me also wants to play XI's main storyline quests, but that's a big commitment.

As for FFX (ending spoilers):
Despite knowing most of the ending playing through it was an entirely different thing, I was tearing up over Jecht, your Aeons, Auron and Tidus. Even knowing Tidus comes back at the end of X-2. And damn it Tidus, how could you not tell Yuna you loved her too before you disappeared?

Enthus

So I got the patience to try CoD again.

Fuck Particle Beam. The fight, and none of them leading up to it, are even hard, just fuck particle beam.

CorvoSol

So I got the patience to try CoD again.

Fuck Particle Beam. The fight, and none of them leading up to it, are even hard, just fuck particle beam.

FWIW in the NES version she only has 1 attack: Flare Wave.

ANYWAY. SkybladeCloud just tweeted that Project Doomtrain's Type 0 translation will have a MUCH sooner release date! He hasn't said when yet, but I mean, there isn't a huge amount of time between now and August anyway, so this is great news.

So fucking excited. What a great summer for RPGs for me this is turning out to be. Shit, throw in Persona 4 and 3 and I've been treated to great RPGs since Christmas.

Enthus

FWIW in the NES version she only has 1 attack: Flare Wave.

ANYWAY. SkybladeCloud just tweeted that Project Doomtrain's Type 0 translation will have a MUCH sooner release date! He hasn't said when yet, but I mean, there isn't a huge amount of time between now and August anyway, so this is great news.

So fucking excited. What a great summer for RPGs for me this is turning out to be. Shit, throw in Persona 4 and 3 and I've been treated to great RPGs since Christmas.

It'd be a shame if Square had an official announcement at E3, huh?

PC port of Type-0 pls

Their release of III on Steam is making me more needy.

aravuus

Fantastic news, I thought half a year for just beta testing felt like an overkill

CorvoSol

Fantastic news, I thought half a year for just beta testing felt like an overkill

Sky never sounded very pleased with that, either, so I assume this new, sooner release date will be the fruits of his efforts to convince the team. After all the effort they've all put in, though, I can't wait to play it. I really hope it goes over well, because they've all put in a lot of time to this.

Plus I love Type-0. One of my favorite Square hand held games of last gen. It'll be nice to soak in the plot.

Top Bottom