• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Jucksalbe

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles was a good game, but it's also nothing that would make me fanatic about the company. I'm mostly behind on the older stuff they did, I only played the first Xenosaga, barely played Baten Kaitos and played Soma Bringer for about an hour. So, maybe it's just my fault because I didn't play enough of their games.

So FF3 was one of my most hated Final Fantasy games before I played the PC version. I remembered being so hyped for it coming out for the DS because I loved every other game that I played of the series at that time (Dawn of Souls, 7, 9, Crystal Chronicles). I think Square didn't advertise the game very well in the US, as it is probably the most old school RPG that I've played at that time in my life and I wasn't prepared for it. Now that I'm a little more experienced, I decided that it was now time to revisit the game, and I think FF3 has moved to about 4th on my scale of FF games.

I really enjoyed the old school challenge. I had to manage my team very carefully since I was using a Thief, a Monk, a Red Mage, and a Black Mage for the entirety of the game. I think it made the game more difficult at spots, since the game expects you to switch jobs often to proceed through certain sections of the game. For an example, the portion where you are required to use
Mini
my Red Mage only had 1 level 2 charge. I never got any game overs and never needed to grind with the exception of the battle against the
Garuda
, but I think it's because the game expects you to use
dragoon
job against him. I did like the dynamic of the Job system though, as I never felt any of my characters were useless, though the Black Mage was lagging behind in damage. I do think that I didn't have much of a problem thanks to the Job Master weapons, but IDK.

I think the story in the game is bad, but I usually don't play games for the story, and even though I don't like this game's story, I can appreciate that's it is out of the way for most of the game (as in, very few cutscenes). I can't say the same with FF5, which I like more for its gameplay, but it's definitely a problem I have with it. I do like how the same plot device is reused throughout the game though:
Person is trusted in the community, Person is corrupted by darkness, Person does something and you have to stop him

Overall, I think it's pretty good. I probably will replay the game in the future and I'm glad I got to play it.

CorvoSol

Xenoblade Chronicles was a good game, but it's also nothing that would make me fanatic about the company. I'm mostly behind on the older stuff they did, I only played the first Xenosaga, barely played Baten Kaitos and played Soma Bringer for about an hour. So, maybe it's just my fault because I didn't play enough of their games.

Ah, well I'm not as big a fan of the company as Magius, but I just really, really liked Xenoblade. It was a really colorful, endearing RPG. I wish I had time to play it again, really.

Jucksalbe

Banned
About XV, when it releases it releases. I pretty much ignored XIII until a couple of months before it released and I feel it's the best way to go about this permanent development hell.

I guess in that case I'm in the lucky situation to be one of the few who didn't really like what they showed of the game. They should cancel it for all I care.

Overall, I think it's pretty good. I probably will replay the game in the future and I'm glad I got to play it.

Does the PC version still come with the option to switch to the Famicom soundtrack? If so, make sure to try it next time (if you didn't already).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ah, well I'm not as big a fan of the company as Magius, but I just really, really liked Xenoblade. It was a really colorful, endearing RPG. I wish I had time to play it again, really.

Well I just enjoy Takahashi games as well as the collab games so I love Xenogears, Xenosaga series except for Shion, Xenoblade, Soma Bringer, SRWOGS EF.

Have not played Baten Kaitos though.

CorvoSol

After I finish Eternal Punishment I really do have to get around to finishing Xenogears. A mecha RPG ought to be my cup of tea.

Heropon

I guess in that case I'm in the lucky situation to be one of the few who didn't really like what they showed of the game. They should cancel it for all I care.

That also helps with my apathy. As someone that hates Kingdom Hearts seeing Versus becoming a mainline game didn't exactly fill me with joy.

Holykael1

Banned
I love me some Xenogears and Saga (Shocking I know)
I will be playing Xenoblade this summer to keep up the tradition. (Played Xenogears in the summer of 2 years ago and the Xenosaga trilogy in the summer of last year). With luck I will be able to enjoy X next summer :p

I have Soma Bringer available to play and from what I played I was not a big fan of the battle system at the time, is the story any good Magius?

CorvoSol

That also helps with my apathy. As someone that hates Kingdom Hearts seeing Versus becoming a mainline game didn't exactly fill me with joy.

See this is the reverse of my problem. As someone who grew up loving KH it and Tabata's attachment to the project are the big reasons I can't entirely quell my desire for the game. ARPGs are what I love most.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have Soma Bringer available to play and from what I played I was not a big fan of the battle system at the time, is the story any good Magius?

I'll be honest I thought the battle system was alright but I played the game in it's entirety in Japanese before the patch for it actually came out so I don't know the story details. I know one of the mods wants a Soma Bringer 2 so it was probably decent.

What?

Stop

Stop right there

Drop whatever you're doing and play Baten Kaitos

Now

What do first? BK or BK: Origins?

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking of HD remakes and Xeno series, I'm cut we never got re-imagined Xenogears with a completed Disc 2 :(

See this is the reverse of my problem. As someone who grew up loving KH it and Tabata's attachment to the project are the big reasons I can't entirely quell my desire for the game. ARPGs are what I love most.

Lightning Returns
is pretty good.

aravuus

What?

Stop

Stop right there

Now

Still bitter how they handled the big twist

It had massive potential but the actual reveal was so underwhelming I thought. Also the battle system was a neat idea, but I'm not so sure about the execution.

Also fuck yes if we get the type-0 translation tomorrow

And lol if we get an official translation announcement at E3

I think the amount of time and effort spent making posts about how awful Square Enix is over and over and over again is much more concerning than any actual development problems going on at Square. Even when people say they "don't care anymore" they still make posts about it. Also the same SE memes/jokes are getting old and unfunny.

I also wonder if I'm like, the one person on GAF that likes FF that didn't pay any attention to Versus XIII until it became XV.

People like to express their disappointment. I can't deny I've posted many times how much I hate XS's Shion and XB's Fiora and such stuff

I think the amount of time and effort spent making posts about how awful Square Enix is over and over and over again is much more concerning than any actual development problems going on at Square. Even when people say they "don't care anymore" they still make posts about it. Also the same SE memes/jokes are getting old and unfunny.

I also wonder if I'm like, the one person on GAF that likes FF that didn't pay any attention to Versus XIII until it became XV.

Holykael1

Banned

I honestly think that don't those who constantly proclaim that they "don't care anymore" are actually in denial and care a lot :p
Also I had no idea FF VS XIII existed until about 2 years ago and was pretty pumped with last year's reveal. Im very disappointed that it won't be at E3 but I am still super excited.

And then there is also the "Square is dead to me" until they release a game that person likes and they buy it. That's not really being "dead to you" is it?

Falk

that puzzling face

Eh, that's pretty mild all else being equal. There are franchises/communities out there where that behavior is both rewarded and cultivated over the course of years that have become far, far shittier. We call it 'I'm cancelling my account" syndrome. (Which pretty much tells you which ridiculously entitled fanbase I'm referring to)

Aside from FF3 being kinda boring, it felt like most of the job classes didn't matter because you were forced to have a particular class with you most of the time.

Heropon

FF3 didn't really encourage the player to change jobs. The job level affecting things like the number of hits means that when you're switching to a new job you're basically downgrading your character temporarily. Add to that the penalty system in the remake and switching jobs is something you want to do as little as possible, so those parts where the game forces certain jobs feel pretty bad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What?

Stop

Stop right there

Now
why are you not describing the voice acting

Baten Kaitos, BKO, and Xenoblade are the only Monolith Soft Tokyo Development Studio games I like. Xenoblade is a game that I never found myself being fanatical about, because it does have balance/combat problems. Other Monolith Soft games are a chore.

I like the games they helped out on like Chrono Cross, A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing NL, and Skyward Sword, but that's more than likely because they provided the art. That's legitimately what they excel at.

Lightning Returns
is pretty good.
I think it's the worst game of the three. I was so bored because of how easy it is to break. It's easier than FF8 to break, and everything about it feels so barely cohesive that I just couldn't. I platinumed it, but man... never again.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's still has responsive great ARPG mechanics.

I decline to comment on the framework surrounding it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's still has responsive great ARPG mechanics.

I decline to comment on the framework surrounding it.
you mean like how you jam on the l-stick so hard that Lightning only moves like 2 steps?

or you can sit there laughing as bosses no-damage you because it's so easy to perfect guard or you can trap them in animations?

Those responsive great ARPG mechanics? Game felt broken as hell, and it's partly because it feels like it's working on the FF13 engine but it doesn't work. It only worked a little better when Lightning was with another member in the party, but even then it was boring. Actually, I'll be honest: it felt better when Lightning was with another member because the battle banter felt more organic.

CorvoSol

I felt like FF3 just suffered from the same problem that every job class system game suffers from: Some of the jobs ultimately proved useless. Like I don't remember ever using Bard.

I felt like FF3 just suffered from the same problem that every job class system game suffers from: Some of the jobs ultimately proved useless. Like I don't remember ever using Bard.

Maybe it's just because I've been playing the Fiesta for the past 3 years, but FFV does a damn good job of making sure every class is good in its own way. There was none of that in FF3 unless you count "hey time to use Mini again" as giving a class some use.

aravuus

I think it's the worst game of the three. I was so bored because of how easy it is to break. It's easier than FF8 to break, and everything about it feels so barely cohesive that I just couldn't. I platinumed it, but man... never again.

Please point me to a guide to help me totally and utterly break the game. I played the game for a couple of hours when it came out but didn't really see anything that could be easily exploited.

Completely breaking it should be fun. I fucking loved breaking FF8, I've restarted it so many times just to play a lot of Triple Triad and gather magic and become a living physical god of the FF VIII universe.

Breaking JRPGs is just so much fun. In fact I'm currently grinding in FF VII like a mofo

CorvoSol

Maybe it's just because I've been playing the Fiesta for the past 3 years, but FFV does a damn good job of making sure every class is good in its own way. There was none of that in FF3 unless you count "hey time to use Mini again" as giving a class some use.

Well I think FFV is sort of an exception because it's sort of a stellar video game, but look at FFT: Outside of unlocking other job classes, when am I really going to want to field a Geomancer or Oracle? I suspect that FFXI and FFXIV are better about making certain that every job has a useful combat role, but there will always be jobs that far outshine other jobs. Even discounting broken-by-design job classes like FFT's Dark Knight or Sword Saint or X-2's Floral Falal, you still have classes like Ninja and Knight that will always be much more useful than Bard or Green Mage.

Holykael1

Banned
I actually didn't move in LR. It's pretty pointless. Attacking and defending does all the movement you need.
I didn't know how to break the game myself and thought it was pretty challenging and fun throughout the whole game. I'm not one to go super indepth to the nitty gritty of the mechanics though, well at least not nowadays anyway.
I also didn't bother to do trophy hunting or anything of the sort that would cause fatigue. I only killed one of the "last ones" and slept through the last 5 days after having done all the main quests and sidequests(well except for those really hard ones that require tons of grinding, did enough sidequests to unlock the last day however). Didn't bother with the more tedious canvas either.

SougoXIII

Schala, can you shares some secrets of breaking this game? I mean I'm already bored of it after playing a couple of hours, maybe breaking it to pieces ff8 style can help me actually finish the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Please point me to a guide to help me totally and utterly break the game. I played the game for a couple of hours when it came out but didn't really see anything that could be easily exploited.

Buffering (Boss spoilers but who didn't see this one coming at this point of time)

Well I think FFV is sort of an exception because it's sort of a stellar video game, but look at FFT: Outside of unlocking other job classes, when am I really going to want to field a Geomancer or Oracle? I suspect that FFXI and FFXIV are better about making certain that every job has a useful combat role, but there will always be jobs that far outshine other jobs. Even discounting broken-by-design job classes like FFT's Dark Knight or Sword Saint or X-2's Floral Falal, you still have classes like Ninja and Knight that will always be much more useful than Bard or Green Mage.

I always had a Geomancer. :x

And I always used Oracle until Beowulf came along, but only because he makes the class redundant.

CorvoSol

Well I dunno, then, cuz I never saw a point to those classes, heh. I also felt magic was pretty useless in general in FFT, unless you were a Calculator.

As a better illustration of my point, though, look at Cloud's class in FFT. On the one hand, Soldier could be a really unique, nifty kind of Sword Mage class. Unfortunately, Limit Breaks can't target enemies, only tiles, and they have insanely long charge times, and Cloud has to have the Materia Blade equipped to use them. Kinda makes his class sorta pointless when just about any character can do better.

Ultratech

Maybe it's just because I've been playing the Fiesta for the past 3 years, but FFV does a damn good job of making sure every class is good in its own way.

There was none of that in FF3 unless you count "hey time to use Mini again" as giving a class some use.

Yeah, FF3 wasn't too good at job balance.
The job imbalance was way more prevalent in the original game.
(Though in that case, better jobs were part of progression for the game.)

The remake "tries" to rebalance the jobs a bit better and makes several more classes a lot more useful (Bards, Dragoons, Vikings, Thieves, a few more), while nerfing some others (Ninja and Sage for obvious reasons).
But it runs into similar issues that the original had in that other jobs effectively render some other jobs completely useless.
Warriors only get so good, Scholars still suck even with Item Buffs, Evokers still are half-assed summoners, and so forth.
Not to mention the "upgrade" classes are generally superior (Black/White Wizards, Black Belt, Knight, Summoner).

why are you not describing the voice acting

Baten Kaitos, BKO, and Xenoblade are the only Monolith Soft Tokyo Development Studio games I like. Xenoblade is a game that I never found myself being fanatical about, because it does have balance/combat problems. Other Monolith Soft games are a chore.

Speaking of Baten Kaitos...I need to make it a goal to play through that and BKO this summer.
I've been sitting on them for a while, but never got around to playing them.

(I enjoyed the hell out of Soma Bringer, even if was pretty much a Diablo clone. Epic bosses can go suck it though.)

braves01

Banned
I don't understand the point of the sky gate in FFIX when the party is eluding
Waltz No. 3
. Why couldn't it just be flown over?

Tried playing FFT and died twice in the first mission (not the prologue). Also holy crap that constantly spinning camera during npc unit movement is awful. Not to mention it takes forever and is incredibly boring.

I think I'll try it later lol. Got DSII and Demon's Souls coming in on Wednesday woo

braves01

Banned
Cloud relies on Time Mage's short cast to use limit breaks, though.

Because the mist doesn't go that high.

Yeah, but in the context of that scene, they were worrying about the gate closing when that really wouldn't have mattered or even stopped their pursuer from flying over if it weren't so dumb.

Tried playing FFT and died twice in the first mission (not the prologue). Also holy crap that constantly spinning camera during npc unit movement is awful. Not to mention it takes forever and is incredibly boring.

FFT takes some time to become fully accustomed too. It quickly became one of the most addictive FF games I've played after a certain point in. Also, it has one of my favorite Job systems in the whole series. Only rivaled, if not bested slightly, by FFV's Job system.

Still godlike, though. But Cloud comes so late in the game, it's usually not really worth leveling him.

Yeah, by the time I recruited him I already established an awesome team lead by, Ramza: The Uber Squire. Rockin' a Chaos Blade and Excalibur. One for damage, the other for Auto-Haste. He would usually be first to attack, and I would use Draw Out, Masamune. So the whole party would be Haste and Regen, So OP.

Really wish there was a way to recruit many of the unique characters earlier.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/476439401623724033

This is the best news of E3 for me yet. Feel a little bit sorry for the fantranslation-team though :(

Well: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/476445724729552896

Well damn, that certainly came out of left field. This is pretty great news, and yet another reason for me to buy a PS4 already. I was pretty disappointed there was no FF news during the E3 presentation, but this more than makes up for it. So happy I'll get to play this game after all.

Messiah

Well damn, that certainly came out of left field. This is pretty great news, and yet another reason for me to buy a PS4 already. I was pretty disappointed there was no FF news during the E3 presentation, but this more than makes up for it. So happy I'll get to play this game after all.

I was hyped for the Vita version and my dreams were crushed. But who am I kidding will get it for PS4 once I get one.

Wazzy

Banned
God I'm bitter about the Type-0 announcement. Why the hell would they not make a vita version?

Also what did Cor get banned for?

Top Bottom