• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
TEeRBYA.jpg

Just ordered that from Qwertee. £10 or thereabouts including shipping.
P.S - at time of posting you have 14 hours and 23 minutes to order one before they go off sale.

Re: FF shirts, I bought this a while back from teefury and I don't even like FF8 that much. I just thought it was really cool and I dig shirts that don't use text.

JnQLbTf.png

I love these two designs. So beautiful.

I really need to get the VIII one.

Enthus

So I just got through almost filling out my bestiary in FF III when I realize I have a few holes in the earlier entries. It turns out I missed two monsters that I can never fight again.

Fuuuuuuuuck this shit.

CorvoSol

MAGIUS!

Did you watch the Type-0 stream this week? So good. I knew there was a shitton of stuff to translate but seeing and hearing Merkabah explain it was pretty great. Kinda wanted to go back to GameFAQs and rub it in the faces of those who thought nothing had been done.

Then I realized I don't ever want to go back to GameFAQs, haha.

CorvoSol

Are the Gamefaqs forums that bad?

On the one hand, yes, because you should be able to go on them, as a question and get an answer or use the search function and find someone else who did the same. It was my experience that asking a question tended to get you told to use the search function or to "get better" and that using the search function yielded multiple topics in which people had similarly been told to use the search function.

On the other hand, yes, because the moderators at GameFAQs are subhuman filth who abuse their positions and sit back as rampant trolling goes on, only to punish the few sane users who snap and curse because it violates their ToU, which they jealously guard like some kind of insane scripture, even though their defense of it does nothing to improve the forums' actual atmosphere.

That said, not every aspect of that time of my life is bad. I mean, I made good friends there, like Magius, and that was where I first experienced the Dissidia and Brawl launches, which memories I still treasure as some of the fondest "OMG WHO GOT CONFIRMED!?" moments of my youth. You can still find useful people who will help you on GameFAQs, and you can still have fun there, but there's just a lot wrong with that website's forums.

I still go frequently for the actual FAQ/Walkthrough side of the site.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
MAGIUS!

Did you watch the Type-0 stream this week? So good. I knew there was a shitton of stuff to translate but seeing and hearing Merkabah explain it was pretty great. Kinda wanted to go back to GameFAQs and rub it in the faces of those who thought nothing had been done.

Then I realized I don't ever want to go back to GameFAQs, haha.

Not really. I had got Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and slaved away. Also that Type 0 message board became trash with the idiots there. And I talk little with the group now. I usually check on em once a month. Mainly because I don't want to get in their way as I have nothing worth contributing anymore. I mainly helped jumpstart the project and know a bunch of the lore. Despite not knowing any Japanese whatsoever.

CorvoSol

Not really. I had got Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and slaved away. Also that Type 0 message board became trash with the idiots there. And I talk little with the group now. I usually check on em once a month. Mainly because I don't want to get in their way as I have nothing worth contributing anymore. I mainly helped jumpstart the project and know a bunch of the lore. Despite not knowing any Japanese whatsoever.

Ah, well, whatever the case, I'm stupid excited now. I'm back to where I was before they announced Aug. 8th as the release date, and I'm checking at least once a day to see if Sky's announced the new date yet, haha. Cannot wait.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ah, well, whatever the case, I'm stupid excited now. I'm back to where I was before they announced Aug. 8th as the release date, and I'm checking at least once a day to see if Sky's announced the new date yet, haha. Cannot wait.

I will be ordering myself a Ultimate Hits copy a month before August myself.

Since my ps3 died, I went back to play on the PS2 and remembered I never did beat FF12. So I continued where I left off 7 years ago(wow!) and it took me a while to get used to the controls and battle system. However, once I did, I was hooked. I stopped at the Feywood so I've forgotten most of the plot but nonetheless, the story seems interesting. I don't know why I stopped when I was pretty close to finishing up the game.

I don't know if it's because I started replaying near the end, but I'm finding myself to having to be more alert on what's going on than other FF games. I still have yet to finish the game but I think I'm close;
Just beat Cid and Basch's brother where you get the sun crest
. Would love an HD remake of this game.

aravuus

I still go frequently for the actual FAQ/Walkthrough side of the site.

The walkthroughs are great there, I still use GameFAQs for all of my guide needs.

But I'd rather rip out all my fingernails by myself than read the cesspool that is the discussion board there.

Reminder that you aren't finished till you 100% achievements.

Jack of All Trades
Attain level 99 with all jobs for all characters.

Uh, how about no. I can't see anyone having the patience doing this. Especially since you don't get the last batch of jobs until very late in the game. I mean, I had those characters on those classes for the entire game, and Ignus only reached 98 at the end of the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Probably in the range of 500-1000, but remember, FFVIII is the zany one where everything scales to your level so speedruns involve getting ENC-NONE ASAP and then zooming through and essentially killing only bosses, meaning sub-100 in a playthrough is pretty reasonable.

To put it in perspective, after you're done with virtually every other achievement in the game, say you have 8000 remaining. If you're running around the map and getting monster encounters in groups of 2-3, killing them, going through the battle start/battle end sequences, rinse, repeat, you're looking at maybe 3-4 kills a minute. 8000/4 (I'm generous) = 2000 minutes = ~34 hours of doing literally nothing but killing mobs over and over.

And that's the low end estimate because I was pretty generous on two counts.

It's a whole extra two or three tiers above the zaniness that is the typical JRPG achievement.

CorvoSol

I wonder about these "unexpected events". Especially if they now suddenly release it shortly before E3.

I'm not worried. It's finally happening. If an English version gets announced at E3 I won't mind. Translation patch is awesome for the sheer amount of stuff the got done, even if an English version comes out now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Faqs are still very useful. Never really bothered with the forums...
I used to post answers there until I realized some people just wanted to talk about who the hottest character is, hurt/heal threads, etc. So I stopped posting around 2008 (though tbf, I stopped posting en masse in 2004 because message board culture wasn't for me). Heck, I used to post on the RPGs - Squaresoft board waaaaay back in 2001-2002 until we all got fed up that they wouldn't give us a social board, so we ended up going to other, less-frequented, boards around that forum. Back then, it was kinda neat. Now, not so much. A lot of people are pretty judgemental.

If you need a quick answer, you could always ask on the forums there and you'd more than likely get help there faster than you would if you asked in a thread on GAF. I remember staying up for a little longer to help people in the Tales of Graces thread for a while, though, haha. People just PM/tweet me Qs now.

Timing does seem a little convenient.

*snicker* ok I'll shut up
lol

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wonder about these "unexpected events". Especially if they now suddenly release it shortly before E3.

Well August is usually the start of a new College semester and maybe in Sky's case he could have landed a programming career or internship and may have little time to do what he normally does. You never know. But I personally am not worried.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm mostly worried about people using this as a chance to get their hopes up for something I have given up hope on happening.

I'm surprised people still have hope for anything with SquareEnix. The thread about FF XV not showing up at E3 was pretty bitter. It's better to just sit back and be surprised when they actually manage to do something.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm surprised people still have hope for anything with SquareEnix. The thread about FF XV not showing up at E3 was pretty bitter. It's better to just sit back and be surprised when they actually manage to do something.

Type 0 and Bravely series is all I care about honestly. I've been riding the MonolithSoft train for years now.

CorvoSol

Yup. I sure as Hell don't sit and fret over Square anymore. Sometimes they still give me stuff I want, like Curtain Call, but there's no sense in being excited for a company that has nothing to show of a game after 8 years.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just play something else, never really wait for anything to release.

That's a sentiment I'm more and more leaning towards. I still have so many games to play here, I started ignoring stuff I'm only mildly interested in, stuff that I probably would have bought a few years ago. Smaller stuff like Conception or Demon Gaze
or Lightning Returns

Heropon

For some reason I forgot for a moment that
Lightning Returns
existed. When I bought Crisis Core I saw its price and it was still too expensive.

About XV, when it releases it releases. I pretty much ignored XIII until a couple of months before it released and I feel it's the best way to go about this permanent development hell.

Top Bottom