• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Messiah

Battle Assistance

Great for final boss battles or for taking on Ultima/Omega Weapon again, this booster grants you an always full ATB gauge, always full HP as well as making Limit Breaks always available. It's almost like cheating, except that your characters will still die if the damage they suffer from one hit is greater than their HP levels.
This was the best part. "Almost like cheating" :lol:

Wazzy

Banned
I'm pretty sure FF8 is easy enough...

Honestly when you know how to break the game it's incredibly easy. But there's too many people stuck in the mindset that you have to draw a lot and aren't willing to learn the junction system so you get complaints about how hard VIII is.

I like the difficulty because I can set the game up in different ways for different play styles.

Also I haven't seen you post in awhile so welcome back!

SougoXIII

Even if you don't know how to break the game and only use draw, FF8 were still ridiculously easy, you can't really screw yourself up. Just LB everything to kingdom come.

And on Type-0, I decided to wait for the HD version but I spent quite a while with it. While it's not perfect, it is still better than Bravely Default by far and reminded me of the psx era FF and the amount of stuffs to do. I heard the story falls apart later on and that's a shame but the beginning couple of hours alone is better than whatever the XIII trilogy is.

Even if you don't know how to break the game and only use draw, FF8 were still ridiculously easy, you can't really screw yourself up. Just LB everything to kingdom come.

And on Type-0, I decided to wait for the HD version but I spent quite a while with it. While it's not perfect, it is still better than Bravely Default by far and reminded me of the psx era FF and the amount of stuffs to do. I heard the story falls apart later on and that's a shame but the beginning couple of hours alone is better than whatever the XIII trilogy is.
The story just really feels rushed in the last chapter. A lot of stuff happens that you don't see coming, and you''re kind of like "What?". I still really like the game, despite all its flaws.

Holykael1

Banned
It's a better Bravely Default through sheer application of the KISS method. Graphics and music aren't as nice, though

What's the KISS method?
Edit:
NVM. I just googled it.
Well... I don't know if I can agree with you since I haven't played either game but I don't think KISS is always better.

Wazzy

Banned
I think VIII can be very challenging if you're not breaking the game. Can you spam LB? yes but you won't get far against bosses like Ultimecia or both omega and ultima weapon if you just rely on this method.

There's ways VIII's difficulty can go up and down when you're doing a normal play style rather than breaking the game.
Yeah the storytelling in FFVIII is flawed, but it has plenty of charm that redeems it.

I think they were talking about Bravely Default. :p

Style

Banned
I think VIII can be very challenging if you're not breaking the game. Can you spam LB? yes but you won't get far against bosses like Ultimecia or both omega and ultima weapon if you just rely on this method.

There's ways VIII's difficulty can go up and down when you're doing a normal play style rather than breaking the game.

I think they were talking about Bravely Default. :p

Do not mind me then. Got the topics mixed up...

My point still stands!

Honestly you want challenging? Try playing FF5 back before there were all of these strategies out for it. I played it back in 2000 and that game was freaking tough as hell. Of course now that I know how to break the game (Like 8) it's cake.

Wazzy

Banned
Do not mind me then. Got the topics mixed up...

My point still stands!
I think VIII's end game is pretty easy to understand. What bothered you about it?
Bravely Default's last chapter doesn't go "wat?". FF8's definitely does (Even if it wasn't actually technically divided into chapters)

If VIII's final part makes you go "wat?" and unable to understand what happened then you didn't pay attention to the game.

Plus, no matter what, they were talking about Bravely Default having a bad last half.

Wazzy

Banned
Are you really going to start this shit with me?

First, don't talk about starting anything when you quoted me and posted wrongly that they were discussing VIII's later half and not BD.

Second, yeah I will. Exactly what in VIII's ending was so "wat" worthy that you still don't understand it?

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks!

Can't pick a singular fave of out of VI, VII and VIII. Each one's good in its own right. Also love X and X-2, just not as much (yes X-2 as well what of it)

Great choices!

X and X-2 are awesome. Both are in my top 3. My favourite obviously being VIII.

Did you pick up X/X-2 HD?

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
VIII gets way too much hate for all the wrong reasons IMO.

Really low on money atm so realistically won't be getting the remaster until September :(

Falk

that puzzling face
First, don't talk about starting anything when you quoted me and posted wrongly that they were discussing VIII's later half and not BD.

Second, yeah I will. Exactly what in VIII's ending was so "wat" worthy that you still don't understand it?

First off, my quoting you was a difference of opinion based on what both of us thought someone else was saying, as the quote, ad verbatim, refers to "The story", and not necessarily a specific game out of all those mentioned in THAT post's quote reference. Factually, we don't know what it was referring to, which is indeterministic till clarified, and on top of that irrelevant to what I'm talking about now.

I think, (and still do) that it was in reference to FF8, because I found many elements of its ending literally out of the right field (as a lot of Final Fantasies tend to go - see random final bosses from FF4/FF9, )

You think (as is your right to) that it was in reference to Bravely Default, which I find questionable, as the major twist comes at Ch5 and from then on up till the end pretty much the story proceeds exactly as you'd expect it would. There literally is nothing in Chapter 8 or the ending that you might not have expected.

NOW, with that being said, the above is my opinion, and regardless of what the originally quoted post was referring to (and let me go on record saying I honestly don't care about being wrong about a minor bullet point on a single post on an internet forum, trust me) when you trot out the 'lol you don't get it because you didn't pay attention to game!' angle, it makes you come off as as a dick. You might have instead argued why you think the last leg of FF8 wasn't as confusing as the last leg of Bravely Default, which is a little bit of a discussion based on the ambiguity of a post further back in the thread; a discussion which totally is what a community OT is for in the first place.

Instead, you instantly get defensive about the game (which actually ranks high on my favorite Final Fantasies, mind you) and go for the easiest line of argument, that if someone didn't get something, he simply wasn't paying attention which is both generalizing and dismissive.

Sorry man, despite reading every single dissection, conspiracy theory (and fanfic. Yes. It was the 90s, go away) way back when, FF8's final dungeon and everything leading up to and post time compression is still a giant "wat" from me.

Considering I've now wasted five minutes of time on this post, I think I've said all I want to say. Don't expect any more replies down this absurd tangent.

Wazzy

Banned
First off, my quoting you was a difference of opinion based on what both of us thought someone else was saying, as the quote, ad verbatim, refers to "The story", and not necessarily a specific game out of all those mentioned in THAT post's quote reference. Factually, we don't know what it was referring to, which is indeterministic till clarified, and on top of that irrelevant to what I'm talking about now.

I think, (and still do) that it was in reference to FF8, because I found many elements of its ending literally out of the right field (as a lot of Final Fantasies tend to go - see random final bosses from FF4/FF9, )

You think (as is your right to) that it was in reference to Bravely Default, which I find questionable, as the major twist comes at Ch5 and from then on up till the end pretty much the story proceeds exactly as you'd expect it would. There literally is nothing in Chapter 8 or the ending that you might not have expected.

The story just really feels rushed in the last chapter. A lot of stuff happens that you don't see coming, and you''re kind of like "What?". I still really like the game, despite all its flaws.

Edit: Actually re-reading this it seems like it's talking about Type-0. So we could both end up wrong, hah.
NOW, with that being said, the above is my opinion, and regardless of what the originally quoted post was referring to (and let me go on record saying I honestly don't care about being wrong about a minor bullet point on a single post on an internet forum, trust me) when you trot out the 'lol you don't get it because you didn't pay attention to game!' angle, it makes you come off as as a dick. You might have instead argued why you think the last leg of FF8 wasn't as confusing as the last leg of Bravely Default, which is a little bit of a discussion based on the ambiguity of a post further back in the thread; a discussion which totally is what a community OT is for in the first place.

Instead, you instantly get defensive about the game (which actually ranks high on my favorite Final Fantasies, mind you) and go for the easiest line of argument, that if someone didn't get something, he simply wasn't paying attention which is both generalizing and dismissive.

Sorry man, despite reading every single dissection, conspiracy theory (and fanfic. Yes. It was the 90s, go away) way back when, FF8's final dungeon and everything leading up to and post time compression is still a giant "wat" from me.

Considering I've now wasted five minutes of time on this post, I think I've said all I want to say. Don't expect any more replies down this absurd tangent.
If you're going to falsly argue that a) they were talking about VIII and b) that VIII's ending was so full of "wat" that you still can't understand it then is it not fair for me to ask you back it up with reasons?

As you can see, I responded to Monsoon with no aggresiveness nor any attack on him. You on the other hand came in and tried to say I was wrong about them speaking of BD while also putting down VIII's endgame but now you're changing it to "it was just a difference in opinion".

Anyway, I'd rather not turn this into argument so let's just agree we both went about this the wrong way.

I would still like to hear what you're confused about regarding VIII's ending and I mean this completely with no aggresiveness.
VIII gets way too much hate for all the wrong reasons IMO.

Really low on money atm so realistically won't be getting the remaster until September :(

Yeah I've had my share of debates on this forum about VIII, paticularily aspects that people exaggerate or ignored, heh.

Aww well you'll have a blast once you pick it up! I still haven't touched X-2 but I'm excited for when I finally start it.

Falk

that puzzling face
.I would still like to hear what you're confused about regarding VIII's ending and I mean this completely with no aggresiveness.

I think you're misunderstanding the usage of "wat" (or "what?" in earlier posts)

None of it was confusing. However a lot of shit literally comes out of the blue.

I mean, the fact that suddenly 'MONSTERS ACTUALLY COME FROM THE MOON LOL' kind of set up the entire last arc as an exercise in 'just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride'. because it hammered home the point that the story was willing to introduce any amount of deus ex machina to make a point - something that FF8's story basically started off with the orphanage scene.

Is it confusing? No. Did shit come out of the blue? Yes, absolutely. Just as much as Zeromus came out of the blue at the end of FF4 and Necron came out of the blue in at the end of FF9. Just as much as
everyone ends up on Earth lol
at the end of Lightning Returns.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing as it's essentially an integral part of Final Fantasy and has been part of the over-the-top charm since its earliest days. But it's still "wat".

edit: bad formatting

Wazzy

Banned
I think you're misunderstanding the usage of "wat" (or "what?" in earlier posts)

None of it was confusing. However a lot of shit literally comes out of the blue.

I mean, the fact that suddenly, MONSTERS ACTUALLY COME FROM THE MOON LOL. Out of the blue kind of set up the entire last arc as an exercise in 'just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride'. because it hammered home the point that the story was willing to introduce any amount of deus ex machina to make a point - something basically started off with the orphanage scene.

Is it confusing? No. Did shit come out of the blue? Yes, absolutely. Just as much as Zeromus came out of the blue at the end of FF4 and Necron came out of the blue in at the end of FF9. Just as much as
everyone ends up on Earth lol
at the end of Lightning Returns.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing as it's essentially an integral part of Final Fantasy and has been since its earliest days. But it's still "wat".

But you were talking about the last half of VIII while the moon aspect was on the third disc. That's why I was questioning your confusion about the ending. If we're discussing aspects of VIII's plot that were confusing then that's a different discussion which I'm totally fine with.

I don't agree that the lunar cry and monsters was some random plot point. It's what explained the amount of monsters roaming VIII's world and is something we see in Laguna's flashbacks before the final introduction of it. We know that it happened in the Trabia area before with the crater and that it destroyed Centra and it's entire nation.

I mean, most games don't even explain why there's random hordes of monsters while VIII explained that monsters live on the moon and the way they reach Earth is through the Lunar Cry and was a tool in the sorceress war.

I don't know. I just can't see how a game grounded in fantasy having monsters come from the moon is suddenly some crazy plot point that makes no sense. Especially when it played into other parts of the game other than space.

Style

Banned
I think VIII's end game is pretty easy to understand. What bothered you about it?

Nothing about it really bothered me about the ending or the story. FFVIII is one of my favourites amongst the series. It is just that I somehow felt the overall the story lacked something or something seemed off.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I'll come back later.

(Surprised some of you all aren't taking part in the FF5JF)

That's not the point. A bad game is a bad game, no matter what system it will be on.

A lot have complained about (no spoilers, but just spoilering to be safe)
the story (a mess), gameplay (repetitive), character development (there's not much character development with the other characters), level progression (not shared experience), and the rushed segments.
I warned you that Type-0 wasn't the hot shit it was made out to be. It has a lot of problems.

For what it's worth, the story becomes clearer if you a) read up on the FNC mythos, and b) play the game a second time for new story elements to be introduced.

Wazzy

Banned
Nothing about it really bothered me about the ending or the story. FFVIII is one of my favourites amongst the series. It is just that I somehow felt the overall the story lacked something or something seemed off.
Oh that's fair. I thought it was more something about the ending that confused you which I would gladly explain. I've had to do it in a couple threads where someone asked a couple questions about the ending, heh.

My p4 update: Still haven't beat the last boss. I got tired of grinding but I'm planning to finish the game tomorrow so I can finally start 3. I adore this game a lot but I was surprised that the last boss was harder than I thought since I easily beat Hollow Forest.

I'll come back later.

(Surprised some of you all aren't taking part in the FF5JF)

I warned you that Type-0 wasn't the hot shit it was made out to be. It has a lot of problems.

For what it's worth, the story becomes clearer if you a) read up on the FNC mythos, and b) play the game a second time for new story elements to be introduced.

There's always bound to be an argument in here. :p

I've always said I would participate every year but I never end up doing it. It's probably because I don't want to play V on mobile nor ps3 and IIRC isn't it not playable on vita still?

Also I'm kind of sad to hear Type-0 isn't that great but I guess I'll wait until I play it.

Style

Banned
My p4 update: Still haven't beat the last boss. I got tired of grinding but I'm planning to finish the game tomorrow so I can finally start 3.

Awesome. I am a huge fan of Persona 3 myself! Have you decided if you want to choose male or female protagonist for your first playthrough yet?

Labadal

So, the new FFXIII novellas... what do you guys think about that? I wonder if all their games will be getting these from now on.

Falk

that puzzling face
Novellas are nothing new. Even XII had them.

They're largely inconspicuous in comparison though considering what a huge target XIII trilogy has painted on its back, for better or worse.

Wazzy

Banned
So, the new FFXIII novellas... what do you guys think about that? I wonder if all their games will be getting these from now on.

Wait, they're still making novellas for XIII? Oh boy.

As for novellas, X got one as the in between to "X-3" and it was terrible. VII got a couple too IIRC

Style

Banned
Not yet :(

I really want female protag but it seems most say to pick the male.

Everyone is going to recommend the male one because he was the original protagonist and the game was designed around him. I would recommend you to go through with whatever you feel like, but to be fair I started with the male protagonist myself...

You could choose female then replay as male, but I am not sure if you have time for that. It is a long game...

You could do what Corvo did and play both at the same time. Though I'm pretty sure that would add up to at least 120+ hours of playtime, lol.

Both choices are fine, as long as you accept that FeMC is apparently the only non-canon thing in the entire P3-P4 saga and their spin-offs/sequels :p

Top Bottom