• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm playing games from my backlog at the moment, that's why I skipped it. But to be honest, I only ever participated once, so it's not like this would be an exception.
Awwww. If you did, you would've probably been in the same boat as me. Bitching about Team Jobbers led by Vince McMahon here:

:(

REeRHEN.png
ompcGWl.png

Also, Bum died at the end.

Shit's fun. Gonna do a 750 or Classic run next. No750 is really brutal, though. This was an accidental No750 with *two* Berserkers. People who get -one- Berserker shouldn't complain... Noi.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, last year was the first time I did it and got:

Black Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dancer (a much better team than this year)

This year I got:

Knight/Berserker/Monk/Berserker (Team Jobbers)

...hence my desire for 750 or Classic. I'm guaranteed new classes by doing those.

Please, everyone knows what the ending to FFVIII is Squall's life flashing before his eyes

(also hello new NeoGAF member here)

(Waves hello to new NeoGAF member)

Welcome.

I've only recently heard of those theories a few months back. Seemed silly to me.

Just listen to the battle themes of the male and female protagonist and choose the side whose music you like more, you will hear it a lot. ;)

I've always like the female protagonist's theme more. The only enjoyable parts of Mass Destruction were the BABY BABY BABY and DADA DA DA DA DAH parts.

You named your Knight Bum?

Bum? Might as well name him Butz. wait...

Heropon

I thought I was playing too much FFV fiesta and I've bough Etrian Odissey Untold to expand my RPG horizons. It's my first game of that series, so I hope I like it. For now the enemies seem to hit like a truck and poison killed my weak characters in one turn but there haven't been game overs yet. The drawing aspect seems promising so I suppose it'll get better when there are other things to draw apart from corridors.

I chose classic mode and original music because I wanted to approach the game as it was intended at first. The soundtrack sounds like a Genesis game and I must say that I find it pretty charming so I'll keep it that way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: Oh yeah, having gone through FF5 again, I have to say that it has my favourite dungeons out of all of the SFC games. Love the puzzle designs a lot.

I chose classic mode and original music because I wanted to approach the game as it was intended at first. The soundtrack sounds like a Genesis game and I must say that I find it pretty charming so I'll keep it that way.
You are a good person.

Please, everyone knows what the ending to FFVIII is Squall's life flashing before his eyes

(also hello new NeoGAF member here)
GAF > Internet > GAF

(Also, hey. Check out the thread archives one day for hilarious stuff)

Wait, a new poster? Quick, what's your Fave Five FF games? Bear in mind there's a paddling if you mention FF4. :D
Beef, that last part's supposed to be a secret.

Jucksalbe

Banned

The soundtrack of the first (or actually all) Etrian Odyssey is fantastic. I haven't played the 3DS remake, but I guess it'll be the same music if you can select the music. I hope you enjoy the game, the series is one of my favorite new IPs to come out of the DS era.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Edit: Oh yeah, having gone through FF5 again, I have to say that it has my favourite dungeons out of all of the SFC games. Love the puzzle designs a lot.

Final Fantasy **'s dungeons are just a bunch of corridors with treasure chests in every corner and FF VI's dungeons are....well, I don't remember them, I really have to properly replay that game, and I feel I always say that and never play more than an hour anyway. So, umm, I agree.

Heropon

And what are rods (please forgive my poor FF V knowledge)?

Rods are a kind of weapon that some mages use that seem useless at first because the game doesn't explain itself well at all. The description of some of them is "Rod that sometimes casts X" and that's a lie. That spell is casted by using the weapon in the item menu inbattle and depending on the weapon it consumes it or not. The 750 comes from the price of the first elemental rods you get, which cast the tier 3 spell of that element. Another hidden and wonderful attribute they have is that they increase the power of the attacks of that element by 1.5x so your mages are much better than they seem at first.

Rods are a kind of weapon that some mages use that seem useless at first because the game doesn't explain itself well at all. The description of some of them is "Rod that sometimes casts X" and that's a lie. That spell is casted by using the weapon in the item menu inbattle and depending on the weapon it consumes it or not. The 750 comes from the price of the first elemental rods you get, which cast the tier 3 spell of that element. Another hidden and wonderful attribute they have is that they increase the power of the attacks of that element by 1.5x so your mages are much better than they seem at first.

Thanks.

braves01

Banned
I got FFV for gba. Last Amazon warehouse copy, so hopefully not a fake :p Did I do good?

Also I think that cheap copy of The Sky from a couple months back almost singlehandedly got me into these games.

Edit: and FFVII and VIII for $4

Jucksalbe

Banned
Can I somehow get a Steam key for FFVII if I bought the game on the SE store before they had a Steam version?
Also, is the FFVIII PC version worth it if I already own the PSX and PSN versions?

Levyne

Banned
Getting a Steam key would probably just involve getting in touch with support and seeing what they could do for you.

And the PSN version of 8 doesn't have GOD MODE, so yes :p

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...just saw a notice from SE that said they are not giving Steam keys to previous owners. Oh well. But 4€ for FF VIII is kinda tempting.

Edit: But then again, looking at the screenshots, FF VIII seems to look incredibly crappy on PC.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, some assets just don't play well with texture filtering. Especially when said assets were made with super jaggy resolution in mind in the first place.

KnhLMwu.png

QEpWWWn.jpg

Thankfully III decides to forego texture filtering.

I already had those three in my library and will likely scoop up anything else that makes its way to Steam. It's by far the most future-proof platform as far as I'm concerned. (Sure, PSV has I to X/X-2 and all that, but closed platform kinda sucks for long-term posterity)

Holykael1

Banned
Got myself VIII, already had VII.
I wish they did an "original soundtrack" patch to VIII like they did to VII.. I guess a mod will do until then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have the OG FF7 PC version and that was the first time I got to beat FF7 (first time was when I played the game at a TRU kiosk and attracted an audience and I got super-nervous because I've never had people who weren't my cousins watching me play something).

ShadowHog gifted me FF7 a few months ago on Steam. I haven't cracked into it yet though.

Never bothered with the OG PC version of FF8 since by then I got my own PS1, plus the music in that version is gaaaaaarrrrbage.

Some of these prices are making me antsy in the Summer Sale, but then I notice that most of the prices I want are going to stay there until the 30th. My wallet is appreciative, especially since I get paid on the 27th.

Messiah

I may bite at FFXIV, does anyone know if the free month counts when I buy the game or when I first start the game? Would leave it one month in my library until my exams are finished if it is the second option.

Falk

that puzzling face
Got myself VIII, already had VII.
I wish they did an "original soundtrack" patch to VIII like they did to VII.. I guess a mod will do until then.

Never bothered with the OG PC version of FF8 since by then I got my own PS1, plus the music in that version is gaaaaaarrrrbage.

Used the mod on the steam forum stickied thread for my Steam playthroughs. It's actually pretty okay.

I've actually toyed around with doing a one-man-show spruce-up of VIII's OST (think "HD Remaster") just for kicks for the people messing around with the steam version, because I really feel FF8's got a very unique flavor to it out of all of Uematsu's soundtracks. However given my position it's not really wise to dick around with quasi-official stuff anymore. D:

(Back when VIII's Piano Collections came out, after VII didn't get one, it didn't have sheet music and I took it on myself to transcribe the album from start to end. I was... 15 at the time. I love the soundtrack)

I may bite at FFXIV, does anyone know if the free month counts when I buy the game or when I first start the game? Would leave it one month in my library until my exams are finished if it is the second option.

Wouldn't start until you set up the game and install it after creating an account.

Did not know this... good to know!

Squire

Banned
Hello, all. I don't think I've ever posted in here...

I was debating starting an LTTP, but here is as good as anywhere.

I'm playing FFIX for the first time. I'd always heard it was great, but it just never really interested me and seemed like a sort of black sheep in the series. It's the favorite game of a close friend of mine, so I grabbed it off PSN last week and put it on my Vita.

I'm about 11 hours in, on Disc 2 and I think it's absolutely fantastic so far. The cast, the script, the world, art, music, battle system; It's all simply delightful!

I think it's living up to the hype.

Falk

that puzzling face
Man FFIX would be THE perfect Final Fantasy game if it had the frameskip/speedup feature FFVIII on Steam just got.

Falk

that puzzling face
It should be on Steam before the end of 2015, I think. I'll get it day one, whenever it happens.

I dunno, VII and VIII just so happened to be lying around (not saying they were thrown on Steam as is, mind you), while IX would require quite an extra bit of effort.

Then again III did pop up on Steam out of the blue.

Squire

Banned
I dunno, VII and VIII just so happened to be lying around (not saying they were thrown on Steam as is, mind you), while IX would require quite an extra bit of effort.

Then again III did pop up on Steam out of the blue.

They took the time to get them all up on PSN. If be surprised to see them leave the cycle incomplete with the Steam releases.

Falk

that puzzling face
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony helped a little with the emulation/interfacing/whatever for 7 through 9 (and other PSX-era games) to get them up on PSN. After all it's a game from a Sony platform being put on to another Sony platform for low-risk $$$.

Psxphile

FF9 not having a PC version already kind of makes it difficult. The only way I can see it happening is if they go to the trouble of creating a mobile version (straight port or enhanced remake), and then just port that to PC.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah I would love for a speed up option in IX. God what a slow as shit battle system.

I did my part

Fc0KrQJ.png

The Flash sale ends in about an hour. 7 and 8 are 67% off, 3 is 33% off.

Nice!

I've really gotta pick up VIII on PC. I've put it off for awhile since I didn't have a proper computer but I need to show my support. I'll probably pick up VII too.

Wazzy

Banned
Shoot. I was gonna see if I could attempt the $200 price for the lanyard but Curtain Call collectors edition is sold out.

If I do regular version I've got:

Squall keychain 14.99
Squall mini figure 29.99
Curtain Call regular 39.99
Final Fantasy Thanks Tribute CD 39.99

That's all I've got. If only CC collectors was still in stock it would be easier to make.

Style

Banned
Shoot. I was gonna see if I could attempt the $200 price for the lanyard but Curtain Call collectors edition is sold out.

If I do regular version I've got:

Squall keychain 14.99
Squall mini figure 29.99
Curtain Call regular 39.99
Final Fantasy Thanks Tribute CD 39.99

That's all I've got. If only CC collectors was still in stock it would be easier to make.
Are you actually going for it? That is dedication!

braves01

Banned
So, the FFV cart I ordered came today, and...it was a fake. A good fake though. I was playing on my DS lite when it froze (first warning sign), then I tried it on my og GBA and the cart stuck out above the top a good couple mm. It had a good label though with the right serial on it, and even some stuff printed on the chip above the connectors (though on careful inspection it differed from what was on the other carts).

Oh well, at least it was painless to return since Amazon fulfilled it. Good GBA carts are so hard to find nowadays.

Top Bottom