• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

HeelPower

A pretty striking drawing by Nomura. I found this while browsing FF wiki.

Final_Fantasy_X_Yuna_wedding_dress_sketch.jpg

Another Yuna by Amano.

Amano_Prayer_of_Water.jpg

I love when drawings have such a mature air to them.I think both Nomura and Amano are good at this.

Falk

that puzzling face
Crucify me all you want, bonus audio disc concept Yuna was best looking Yuna.

edit:
So, my crunch (we have a recording session today in 3 hours, was a mad rush prepping in the past few weeks) actually turned out to be much like warfare in that it was periods of sheer terror and having too much to handle punctuated by periods of waiting and boredom.

Hence despite what I said previously, I managed to sneak in the time to finish off Last Mission. So that's plat for X-2 as well. Woopwoop

31grblMl.png

Ushiwaka

I've been playing FFIX again lately.

Visiting Terra is in my top 3 FF moments. The music and the beautiful design of Terra are just amazing.

iosefe

Need Expert Sphere grid suggestions for Kimahri:

so far i've had him following Rikku's path, and i just got to the lvl 3 lock near pilfer gil, the crossroads where my options are:
  • continue on Rikku's Path,
  • move forward on Yuna's path, or
  • go backwards on Yuna's then cross into Lulu's Path

since he has the steal stuff, he should be fine, no? or is it best to have him follow through to the end of that line?

also...how rare is a weapon drop with SOS Overdrive? got an Auron sword from a Xiphos

CorvoSol

A bit of trivia: I discovered via the FF 25th Anniversary Memorial art books that FF9's Ark summon was an homage to the 80s Square game Cruise Chaser Blassty (and was labeled as Blassty on internal design documents)

If only Square could make a good video game about robots.

iosefe

The more the merrier :)
indeed. cant wait to see which lucky user get to name my Bahamut.

anyway, i could still use some assistance deciding which way to send kimahri. again its all the way down rikkus path, forward down yunas path, or backwards crossing into lulu

CorvoSol

Ugh, Xenogears had too much of a convoluted plot. If only they could have dialed it back a bit.

See, I actually don't think Xenogears' plot is convoluted at all so far. It's just that the dialogue is rendered nearly incomprehensible by the fact that it was localized by one drunk man in a single night, and so it's really hard to understand what's going on because ninety percent of what is said makes no fucking sense.

The plot itself is just painful Square cliches. Oh no, Fei's hometown got exploded! I never saw that before in an RPG. And you mean to tell me Fei has amnesia and headaches? And that those are related to his super powers? So is he supposed to be Cloud or Terra?

Probably Terra, since he's also an ace mech pilot for plot reasons!

Boy Citan sure seems to know more than he's letting on.

Hey look a desert city that's under attack by EVIL! So deep. Almost as deep as this SEWER DUNGEON NUMBER 77!

But if we just compete in the OBLIGATORY ARENA SEQUENCE we'll get this plot moving!

Falk

that puzzling face
See, I actually don't think Xenogears' plot is convoluted at all so far. It's just that the dialogue is rendered nearly incomprehensible by the fact that it was localized by one drunk man in a single night, and so it's really hard to understand what's going on because ninety percent of what is said makes no fucking sense.

The plot itself is just painful Square cliches. Oh no, Fei's hometown got exploded! I never saw that before in an RPG. And you mean to tell me Fei has amnesia and headaches? And that those are related to his super powers? So is he supposed to be Cloud or Terra?

Hey look a desert city that's under attack by EVIL! So deep. Almost as deep as this SEWER DUNGEON NUMBER 77!

But if we just compete in the OBLIGATORY ARENA SEQUENCE we'll get this plot moving!

God, every time I remember how amazing Xenogears in, I start it up, get to the sewer then lose all interest and I've wasted another few hours of my life.

Someone needs to make a hacked ROM that turns sewers into disc 2.

I tried to replay Xenogears but I just completely lost all interests when you got to that desert town whatever the hell it was called.

The appeal of giant robots was stronger when I was eleven I guess.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, people keep saying that large, sprawling towns full of shit to do are the bomb.

I've never been able to enjoy them. I can see the appeal, but it's rare that games ever seem to get the balance right. The ideal situation would be a large sprawling town, where the main plot takes you in, you settle your business, you get out, with the sense of scale being all the optional shit you can do if you so incline which just adds to the sense of the town having a lot more depth than it has any right to.

Instead you usually get a dozen sequential fetch quests to all corners of the town to show it off. LOOK! LOOK HOW MUCH EFFORT WE PUT IN shoved down your throat.

Lindblum dear Jesus

CorvoSol

You know, people keep saying that large, sprawling towns full of shit to do are the bomb.

I've never been able to enjoy them. I can see the appeal, but it's rare that games ever seem to get the balance right. The ideal situation would be a large sprawling town, where the main plot takes you in, you settle your business, you get out, with the sense of scale being all the optional shit you can do if you so incline which just adds to the sense of the town having a lot more depth than it has any right to.

Instead you usually get a dozen sequential fetch quests to all corners of the town to show it off. LOOK! LOOK HOW MUCH EFFORT WE PUT IN shoved down your throat.

Lindblum dear Jesus

See, the problem with Xenogears' towns isn't their size. It's that there's no fucking maps and the game's camera is a gigantic piece of shit. You can swing it around, but it's always stuck at this weird angle so you can frequently not see where you are or where you're headed because you can't pull the fucking thing down to get a better look.

Xenogears is a very, very flawed game is what I'm getting at.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Amano only does good art when he draws girls. Or GILGAMESH. He mostly draws girls though. Even most of the men look like girls.

GILGAMESH has the best art though.

wmlk

This is literally the worst criticism of a game that I've ever read.
I tried to replay Xenogears but I just completely lost all interests when you got to that desert town whatever the hell it was called.

The appeal of giant robots was stronger when I was eleven I guess.

To me, it's just that the game has aged so much that it's very tough to replay it. I played it a couple of years ago for the first time, and I'm literally an hour from beating the game, but I can't bring myself to it because of how slow it is and how difficult it is to return to. For what I've played so far, though, it's definitely one of the best games that I've ever played and it's the most flawed game that I've ever played.

Shevat and Solaris were both sublime. Shevat and Zeal from Chrono Trigger remain are my two favourite towns in an RPG.

Ultratech

See, the problem with Xenogears' towns isn't their size. It's that there's no fucking maps and the game's camera is a gigantic piece of shit. You can swing it around, but it's always stuck at this weird angle so you can frequently not see where you are or where you're headed because you can't pull the fucking thing down to get a better look.

Xenogears is a very, very flawed game is what I'm getting at.

Yeah, it is flawed for sure. (Disc 2 aside.)

Good game, but made utterly confusing due to lots of jumping around and inconsistencies in localization and the story in general.
(Can gears fly? Yes they can, but only when PLOT demands it.)

Towns weren't really all that bad from what I remember.
I mean, did you really need a map for those?

iosefe

Amano only does good art when he draws girls. Or GILGAMESH. He mostly draws girls though. Even most of the men look like girls.

GILGAMESH has the best art though.
Hell yeah

It's time for the final of the main 5 Aeons! Because it's a special occasion of getting Bahamut, I will choose the best of the first 3 to rename him. Remember: 8 character limit

CorvoSol

This is literally the worst criticism of a game that I've ever read.

Sure it is. You're not salty at all.

Allow me to reiterate it, though.

Xenogears is a horribly localized mess in which character's dialogue is frequently incomprehensible, spelling and grammatical errors abound, and text scrolls at an agonizing rate. The plot thus far is every last one of Square's cliches rolled out into a single package. And no, Xenogears isn't inventing those cliches, because Square's used them all before this game. Fei is a horrible protagonist whose every word serves only to further drag out, pad, inflate, and otherwise turn into a slog the game's plot. The only thing, in 20 hours, this game has of any note, is that its combat is a slightly interesting variation of the standard Square combat system of the era. Otherwise it's a fun little wander through terribly dull environs with a camera so annoyingly antagonistic it might as well be the game's final villain.

Except the final villain is Darth Vader.

Falk

that puzzling face
Only Bahamut makes sense as Fartburn.

Don't you ever get the urge to see Bahamut light his fart on fire while simultaneously breathing fire out of his mouth for 2x fire plumes in opposite directions? It would be the best summon of all time.

edit: I just got a phone call reminding me that Bahamut is non-elemental not fire.

GOD DAMN

Top Bottom