• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Falk

that puzzling face
Come on, that's harsh.

Also Square Enix is currently the source of a large fraction of our business

Falk

that puzzling face
I found Final Symphony to be a little bland to listen to. I can definitely appreciate the art that went into the arrangements, but in some ways I feel it veers a little too far from what made the originals (and game music in general) a lasting experience.

Where acts like Video Games Live are 80% a celebration of game music and 20% a classical concert and Distant Worlds/Zelda Symphony/etc are maybe 50-50, it feels like Final Symphony goes 20-80. There's definitely merit to the production as it does something that is fresh, but I guess it's simply not for everyone.

Zhao_Yun

That reminds me that there's still no CD of the Final Symphony concert. Seems there are still planned concerts for this.

We really need a CD release for Final Symphony! I was blown away by the performance at Wuppertal and would love to listen to it again in good quality.

CorvoSol

They are called Alpha Dream and MonolithSoft now. Also Mistwalker. And the few loyalists that are trapped within Square Enix.

Essentially SquareSoft has effectively been dispersed.

Is Mistwalker any good anymore? Feels like it's been forever since they came out with an RPG of their own, when I guess Last Odyssey was this last gen.

I just started playing FFX HD and had the urge to re-watch the Japanese TV commercial for it.

For those who havent seen it, the advertising slogan they used for it was "The most heartbreaking Final Fantasy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQiuh_RUUw

Goddamn it, it makes me cry instantly every. single. time.
I think these 90 seconds are one of my most favorite FF-related things in recent years actually.

HeelPower

I love that scene.

Crisis Core glorified his death way too much and completely missed the point.

As far deaths go, its a really elegantly executed scene.

I hope we some of that style in FFXV. Understated and brutal.

CC totally missed the point ,but then again CC as a whole is no where near FF7's sophistication.

I'd wager Type 0 has more.

But the most powerful scene in FF for me has always been Galuf.

well that's interesting.

If Type-0 has similar portrayals that would be very good.

I just started playing FFX HD and had the urge to re-watch the Japanese TV commercial for it.

For those who havent seen it, the advertising slogan they used for it was "The most heartbreaking Final Fantasy"

I think these 90 seconds are one of my most favorite FF-related things in recent years actually.

I have vague ideas of what's happening in each vignette, but To Zanarkand really helps get the point across.

wmlk

Is Zack's
death
scene in FF7 the most brutal and realistic scene in the entire mainline series ?

Its really powerful.

That scene was cringeworthy and pretentious.

I'm playing FFX for the first time
(just got Bahamut)
, and it's really not as great as I had hoped. The dialogue is completely unnatural save for Auron.
It's the most interesting Final Fantasy on paper but totally whimpers on the execution.

HeelPower

Surely you mean the Crisis Core's version?

They did that scene really well; it's one of my favourites in the entire series!

lol sorry but Zidane's scenes are quite lighthearted in comparison.I mean these are uplifting scenes.

I meant to discuss really dark scenes in the series.

The scene that hit me hard the most in FFIX was
Brahne's
death.I could feel for Garnet at that point.

A great ending for the disc.

wmlk

Surely you mean the Crisis Core's version?

Yes! My bad, I thought that's what you meant. I should read more carefully.
The FFVII one in hindsight is pretty good. It's weird that I appreciate it more because of how I disliked Crisis Core's version of it.

HeelPower

Yes! My bad, I thought that's what you meant. I should read more carefully.
The FFVII one in hindsight is pretty good. It's weird that I appreciate it more because of how I disliked Crisis Core's version of it.

Yeah absolutely.

FF7's scene is dark,bleak and gruesome...CC well as you said cringeworthy and pretentious by comparison.

It was a highly glorified slaughter fest. Though it did show Zack putting up a fight instead of dying with a whimper. It always puzzled me in Final Fantasy VII, why it only took two dudes to take him down. I mean he is a SOLDIER 1st Class, two dudes ain't no problem. At least CC showed that it took more than just that, even if it was incredibly overdone. The man went down fighting.

I'm playing FFX for the first time
(just got Bahamut)
, and it's really not as great as I had hoped. The dialogue is completely unnatural save for Auron.
It's the most interesting Final Fantasy on paper but totally whimpers on the execution.

It was 2001, the first FF game to use voice acting. The dialogue and story telling for the time was fantastic. Games now have "more natural dialogue," but there needed to be games before which experimented with it. FFX was one of those games that took those first few baby steps that helped build towards the more cinematic experiences we have now. 10+ years later, it isn't gonna have the same effect as games that are being written now. As far as execution, I feel like the team did exactly what they set out to do.

I wouldn't call it the most interesting Final Fantasy on paper. Most straight forward maybe, because of its emphasis on story telling through cut scenes and cinematic. I found the Sphere Grid to be the most interesting aspect since you can manipulate it so much if you invest the time.

Holykael1

Banned
/shrug
I thought the Crisis Core ending was amazing. It showed Zack's death through gameplay and it was very effective. I was very invested, not that I cared too much about the whole hero schtick but I thought it was easily one of the highlights of that game.

I fail to see any kind of pretension in it.

/shrugs
I thought the Crisis Core ending was amazing. It showed Zack's death through gameplay and it was very effective. I was very invested, not that I cared too much about the whole hero schtick but I thought it was easily one of the highlights of that game.

I fail to see any kind of pretension in it.

Yes! I loved the fact that you had to play through it. I didn't find it pretentious either.

It was a highly glorified slaughter fest. Though it did show Zack putting up a fight instead of dying with a whimper. It always puzzled me in Final Fantasy VII, why it only took two dudes to take him down. I mean he is a SOLDIER 1st Class, two dudes ain't no problem. At least CC showed that it took more than just that, even if it was incredibly overdone. The man went down fighting.

Even the best soldiers can be taken down easily if caught unaware. Zack was so preoccupied with taking care of Cloud he was easily overwhelmed. If you rewatch it, the reason Zack was taken down was because he went back to Cloud and was attending to him, not realizing that even more soldiers were moving in on him. In the Crisis Core version, he leaves Cloud somewhere down a steep hill and he's so hilariously super human that he takes down an entire battalion and the only reason he lost was out of sheer exhaustion.

FF VII Zack and Crisis Core Zack (from what I've seen, I haven't seen the whole game), in terms of power and ability, are on the same level of difference of FF VII Cloud and Advent Children Cloud. In FF VII they had more stamina, moved faster than a normal human, had more strength, were able to use Materia more easily, were more durable, and so on but were very much constrained by the fact that they were still human. You definitely wanted them on your side, but there are several points where they have to flee the oncoming enemies. In Advent Children/Crisis Core they went full on Superman with gravity defying abilities (jumping hundreds of feet), reaction time so good they can dodge bullets, have fifty times the strength, twenty times the speed, etc. They were to the point where you could honestly believe they would be able to take on an entire army single handed. Most of the issues in VII could have been solved/avoided if Cloud and Zack had that level of power.

Each ending was made with two completely separate ability sets in mind.

I am sudden;y reminded of a scene in Dirge of Cerberus where Cloud blows up a mako reactor just by throwing a Blade Beam at it.

I mean come the fuck on.

Wazzy

Banned
Got to try out Curtain Call at PAX and it was great. They were giving out Type-0 character cards after you played the demo. They also gave free lanyards and moogle and chocobo hats which were cool.

Anyway, CC is awesome and I can't wait until I can play the full game.

Even the best soldiers can be taken down easily if caught unaware. Zack was so preoccupied with taking care of Cloud he was easily overwhelmed. If you rewatch it, the reason Zack was taken down was because he went back to Cloud and was attending to him, not realizing that even more soldiers were moving in on him. In the Crisis Core version, he leaves Cloud somewhere down a steep hill and he's so hilariously super human that he takes down an entire battalion and the only reason he lost was out of sheer exhaustion.

I've always interpreted Crisis Core's ending as the reason why he got killed by those two dudes. He fights off thousands of fodder MPs and dies to those last two because he had nothing left to go on with. In a way, I've viewed CC's ending as what actually happened. While, FF7's version are just Cloud's last memories of Zack as the last two dudes shoot him while he is down.

Essentially, Zack's death in CC are the actual events that transpired while Zack's death in FF7 is all that Cloud remembers from the last stand.

FF VII Zack and Crisis Core Zack (from what I've seen, I haven't seen the whole game), in terms of power and ability, are on the same level of difference of FF VII Cloud and Advent Children Cloud. In FF VII they had more stamina, moved faster than a normal human, had more strength, were able to use Materia more easily, were more durable, and so on but were very much constrained by the fact that they were still human. You definitely wanted them on your side, but there are several points where they have to flee the oncoming enemies. In Advent Children/Crisis Core they went full on Superman with gravity defying abilities (jumping hundreds of feet), reaction time so good they can dodge bullets, have fifty times the strength, twenty times the speed, etc. They were to the point where you could honestly believe they would be able to take on an entire army single handed. Most of the issues in VII could have been solved/avoided if Cloud and Zack had that level of power.

Each ending was made with two completely separate ability sets in mind.

I dunno if they had different ability sets in mind. To me CC and AC are the full realization of what the most Elite of SOLDIERs can do just presented in the most action packed way possible. You could not really "show" how elite SOLDIERs were in the original FF7 because of limited graphical power. Instead, the only measurement for the strength of a SOLDIER was how fabled and legendary Sephiroth was spoken of. To me at least, Zack and Sephiroth were in a league of their own. They were the only 1st Class SOLDIERs who would basically wear and use whatever equipment they wanted. While other 1st Class SOLDERs you fight later in FF7 were all carbon copies and easily beaten.

But, honestly we don't know much about FFVII Zack's ability since he was more of a plot device than anything. I'm just inclined to believe he was just as much of a badass SOLDIER as Sephiroth if he is going on missions with him.

Cloud had gravity defying jumping abilities in FF7. Jumping around the Northern Cave, Snow Boarding. The man is a natural jumper. He might as well be a Dragoon. By the end of FF7 I'm not surprised he could do such crazy jumps in Advent Children.

Again just my interpretation.

Falk

that puzzling face
We talking about dark?

Tales gets a lot of flak for overplaying tropes to the extent I bet even Bamco are good-naturedly aware of it, but (Tales of Xillia spoilers) when

Milla dies, Jude goes into severe depression until Alvin shows up and ends up shooting Leia in the back because Jude couldn't care enough to fight back. Turned off PS3 right as Leia got shot, felt like shit the entire week till I manned up and played on past that.

Holykael1

Banned
Well. At the end of FF7, you are like what level 50-99, indestructible badass with OP materia. My interpretation is that their skills/levels/experience carry over from FF7 to whatever comes afterwards-

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well. At the end of FF7, you are like what level 50-99, indestructible badass with OP materia. My interpretation is that their skills/levels/experience carry over from FF7 to whatever comes afterwards-

If that was the case in Dirge I should be transforming into Frankenstein,Chainsaw dude and Chaos at will.

Not the case. I am stuck with Galian Beast.

Holykael1

Banned
If that was the case in Dirge I should be transforming into Frankenstein,Chainsaw dude and Chaos at will.

Not the case. I am stuck with Galian Beast.

Yeah, I actually never played Dirge of Cerberus, was speaking mostly for Advent Children. Either way, it's lame that they don't let you do that but in that game Vicent didn't lose the ability to transform into those things, did he? I assume they just don't let you do it in gameplay.

Yeah, I actually never played Dirge of Cerberus, was speaking mostly for Advent Children. Either way, it's lame that they don't let you do that but in that game Vicent didn't lose the ability to transform into those things, did he? I assume they just don't let you do it in gameplay.

You can only transform into Galian beast. You become
Chaos
in the final part of the game for some crazy story reasons I happily forgot.

Top Bottom