• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh, right. Aside from Sulyya Springs and Dust to Dust, I didn't really like the vocal tracks all that much, either. But the instrumental themes are fantastic, some of Hamauzu's best. Even with Mizuta and Suzuki collaborating with him for the sequel's soundtracks, neither reached the heights of XIII.

But but but vocal themes are what makes Hamauzu's stuff... well... Hamauzu. To the extent that XIII-2 went even further down that route.

Hamauzu's in fact currently in a band/production with vocalist Mina (Gapra Whitewood, Crimson Blitz, etc) which explores that style to the nth degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhpdsnFE64

Golnei

But but but vocal themes are what makes Hamauzu's stuff... well... Hamauzu. To the extent that XIII-2 went even further down that route.

Hamauzu's in fact currently in a band/production with vocalist Mina (Gapra Whitewood, Crimson Blitz, etc) which explores that style to the nth degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhpdsnFE64

I actually like Imeruat, but overall find his more ambient vocal pieces to be superior to the more typical pop tracks.

For those of you that played it or kept up with impressions, is Type-0 good? I had been ignoring it, but some of the art and hearing that it's a war story has me intrigued.
It's not bad. It's a very different game from most Final Fantasies in terms of both combat and story. Has its own set of problems. But like other FF games, it's one of the best looking games on the platform, and has an outstanding soundtrack.

Levyne

Banned
I feel like I haven't played a FF game in forever. Not since replaying XIII to get ready for XIII-2....which I ended up watching a playthrough instead >_>

Ushiwaka

FFIX (ending)

Why does the ending always make me cry?! ;___; Isn't it supposed to be a happy ending? (well for everyone minus Vivi ;___;)

One of the best ending to a game, ever. It really fits the beautiful journey the characters went through.

gilgamesh-1.jpg

so cute.

Squire

Banned
FFIX (ending)

Why does the ending always make me cry?! ;___; Isn't it supposed to be a happy ending? (well for everyone minus Vivi ;___;)

One of the best ending to a game, ever. It really fits the beautiful journey the characters went through.

Most uplifting ending in a game I've ever experienced, bar none. I was losing my mind from the joy.

I feel like I haven't played a FF game in forever. Not since replaying XIII to get ready for XIII-2....which I ended up watching a playthrough instead >_>

Same here buddy. I still want to platinum FFXIII, I'm oddly compelled to do it. It's also stopping me from playing FFXIII-2. Maybe I should watch a playthrough like you.

FFIX (ending)

Yup, I cried like a 12-year-old when I first beat it, at the tender age of 12. Fast-forward to 2014, It still hits me hard, It's difficult to put in words why it's so affecting.
Maybe seeing how far the characters have come after the journey's end? The vignettes of the characters that described what they learned on their journey?
Whatever it was, that ending is just so powerful. Probably the best ending to a video game ever. The only other game ending that hit me on an emotional level was Persona 3.

Most uplifting ending in a game I've ever experienced, bar none. I was losing my mind from the joy.

I remember reading some of your posts of your playthrough. I'm so glad you got to experience such an incredible game.

Style

Banned
FFIX (ending)

YES! Another one experiences the glory.
Yep, the ending is amazing. A fulfilling blissful ending fits the game perfectly.
The only other game ending that hit me on an emotional level was Persona 3.
iUYYYsws6w2PY.gif

ST2K

It's not bad. It's a very different game from most Final Fantasies in terms of both combat and story. Has its own set of problems. But like other FF games, it's one of the best looking games on the platform, and has an outstanding soundtrack.

Could you explain the story differences?

FFIX (ending)

FFVIII's ending spoiled me (it's my personal fave in the series with its gorgeous silent film-esque lengthy CG that still holds up well today and
dat smile
), but I appreciate FFIX's fairy tail finale.

But I still don't like what happened to Vivi. >=(

Wazzy

Banned
I sent an email to Square to cancel the $200 order. It's taking too long for the whole order to release because of so much of it being preorders and I won't want to wait until November to play CC.

Hopefully they cancel it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Suspected you'd do that. Already have my own TR:FF :( So I can't help you this time around if the cancel goes through

Style

Banned
I sent an email to Square to cancel the $200 order. It's taking too long for the whole order to release because of so much of it being preorders and I won't want to wait until November to play CC.

Hopefully they cancel it.

You still haven't received it!?

B.K.

I've been looking around for the English Asian versions of X and X-2 HD. Apparently X-2 is out of print. Does anyone know any good import sites that might still have it? Play Asia is out and I don't know any other places to look.

Wazzy

Banned
Suspected you'd do that. Already have my own TR:FF :( So I can't help you this time around if the cancel goes through
Yeah and I really wanted to fully go through with it. xD Oh well. I'm too impatient to wait for CC. It looks soooo good.
You still haven't received it!?

Yeah the preorders don't come out until November so It won't ship the other items until then :/

I thought I could finish Final Fantasy Dimensions last week but I cannot.

emperorhimself2to8q.png

In the distance, the Emperor of Avalon himself. Final boss? Cannot confirm yet because the final two Generals of Avalon stand between us.

imperio-general0dr4t.png

This guy WRECKS me at level 62. He has a 5000 dmg attack on one character and 2000 dmg attack on the whole party. Shit is NASTY.

I killed him just once (pictured below) and, welp, he has a 2nd form:

gehenna-general05p7t.png

That didn't go well... :(

My Dragoon is useless. I need to replace him with a job that can add something to this battle i.e. a 2nd White Mage with Curaga or a 2nd Ninja, that can attack 4 times in one turn.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm sad the Squall = asian thread got locked before I could post.

I'm shocked there's people out there who think Squall is Asian when he's got blue eyes, brown hair and was based off River Phoenix.

Wazzy

Banned
It was a troll thread anyways, so don't worry.
Ah. I like Vince's threads but thought the discussion was odd. His friends reaction was definitely a little weird if he go defensive but if it's a troll thread then obviously nvm lol

I pm'd him too to clarify the ethnicities of the characters xD the real hottie is Raijin.

Mono

I think I'm about halfway through chapter 4 now in Bravely Default, yay! I'm inside the earth temple looking for the crystal. This game is so bloody long -- my play time is at 40 hours and I don't think I'm even halfway done with the game.

I don't think I've gotten to the part where everyone says that the game gets really bad yet! I still like it!

Maybe I'm too low of a level for it (~60), but killing the dragons to get the Vampire asterik is really difficult! I'm just worried that I'll get to a point in the game where I can no longer access that side quest -- does that even happen in BD? :X

--

Also, apparantly my copy of Curtain Call shipped today?! Maybe I'll get it early, omg!

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy it's coming

edit: Curtain call, I mean.

But Mono's reaction is also acceptable.

Mariip

]Unlike say, FFIII or FFVIII,
Necron is just stupid bullshit who comes out of nowhere.

Unless you choose to view him as an elaborate cameo from FFV. Still bullshit, though.
First post in the community, please be kind...But I've just finished this game for the first time and this is my vision in regards to Final Fantasy IX's
final boss
, it might help people see that in a better way @_@:
I don't really think Necron is completely bullshit... at least not the way I saw it...If Necron wasn't there for the party to beat, the world would be over the moment Kuja destroyed the crystal...
There were two things that had to happen so the world would end:
1 destroy the crystal, 2: let the "darkness of the world" do the job.
By stopping the second they let the world continue, even though the first thing happened =/

Had the party managed to defeat Kuja before he destroyed the crystal, they would still need to handle the destruction of the portal to memoria and the Iifa tree, and if they stayed there to destroy it the whole party would die, since I don't really think anyone there could destroy it alone, like Kuja did.

I say this because they told us that Kuja would die when Zidane managed to be stronger than him, and that never happened in the game, Kuja is the only final boss that never got beaten by the heroes, and him being alive made it possible for the party to come back home safely(well, most of it), the moment Zidane surpassed that strenght Kuja would die(and yeah, I do know this might mean I think he was alive at the end of the game... or that the fight against necron made Zidane that stronger, I like to believe the former because if his lifespan is that short, then you'd have to believe zidane will die at 24 too, and that's kinda sad D: )

At least that's how I see things so I don't think that game got screwed up, if we beat Kuja someone would have a tragic death so the world wouldn't be covered in mist forever, if there wasn't a chance to beat Necron the world would be over. Either way, we'd never see Vivi's adorable sons, or zidane coming back or any happy ending whatsoever.

The fear of death made Kuja destroy the world, the fear of death made Terra absorve Gaia so their inhabitants would live... I you look that way, that was the game's villain all the time: that's what Necron is, they just didn't explain/translated it so well, hell, if Kuja didn't know 'bout zidane and how he wold be over, i don't think he would've made all that mess, he was just Garland's puppet after all, thats why zidane came back in the end =/

As to why they even got a chance to beat that force instead of just ending the world, well, that's the part where I have to say "well, it's a game, ya'know" D:

But that might be just my wishful thinking since i think this game is amazing and told a story way better than any FF i've ever played =/(i still have to play 1-6), if that helps you sleep at night as it does for me, you're welcome ^^~~

About the game itself, i think everyone should play it, and it's really sad we'll never see a steam version or a remake of it... I can't really stand why people talk more about FF7 or 8 and forget this mastepiece i-i

Style

Banned
iblUH7XTFu84EK.png

I never understood the design choices for the Final Fantasy characters appearing in Kingdom Hearts. Cloud confused me most. He looks like a mix of Vincent and Cloud's original design.

Squire

Banned
I thought
Necron
was fine, but I will say:

The final hours of that game are hell and high water incarnate. They make you earn that ending.

Style

Banned
I just LOVE the use of primary colors on this one. I have the big MSX release box sitting pretty prominently in my collection display. (Not my copy below, but the same one.)
33.jpg

I also own the Y's box (on the left) which is another Amano boxart.

Yep, it is a really fantastic piece of art and that box has a clean version that is perfect for display. I only have the PlayStation 1 version titled Origins.

I see that they used the piece of Princess Sarah for one of the diskettes (which I also posted). What is the full title of the game on the left (and right if you know that one too)?

Turin

Banned
I never understood the design choices for the Final Fantasy characters appearing in Kingdom Hearts. Cloud confused me most. He looks like a mix of Vincent and Cloud's original design.

I actually liked Squall's KH1 design. Just change the pants and jacket.

......What I mean is I like the physical look of him and the more focused expression.

Xux

Why did they insist on calling him Leon anyway?
It annoys me that they never did anything with that or with Lightnings name which only really served as a build up to when they revealed her really normal real name off-hand later.

Wazzy

Banned
iblUH7XTFu84EK.png

It seemed like they wanted to mix character designs together so that they gave tribute the other characters. Squall/Laguna and Cloud/Vincent being the obvious design choices.

Top Bottom