• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Red Mage

So, it seems that the characters in dimensions have set stat growth at level up. How important to their overall ability are these? Will the job leveling bonuses offset it if I, say, want to make Sarah a monk?

The Ultimate Songs aren't so bad...

Unless it's The Castle, One-Winged Angel, Final Battle (FFIX), and Force Your Way.

They're long and hard fuck them

The Ultimates really arent that bad, the only things that I'm constantly slipping up on are those fucking turning notes. Especially when a few of them come at you in a row!

That, and on the Field music stages then its a hold note ending in an arrow, sometimes it just registers a wrong direction because I'm moving the thumbstick to where I want it and it picks up something else.

So, it seems that the characters in dimensions have set stat growth at level up. How important to their overall ability are these? Will the job leveling bonuses offset it if I, say, want to make Sarah a monk?

Yes they have and I did not find a good FAQ explaining that. I just... didn't give a fuck and changed the jobs after hitting JLVL 20.

I'd say: do not think about it. It is not that important. Have 1 White Mage --> Seer, 1 Black Mage --> Magus, 2 Tanks and that's it. Light Tank --> Paladin, Dark Tank --> Ninja.

On GFAQs forums people suggested to spend some levels as Thief for the SPD attribute level up. SPD is king in late game/ post game. Every piece of equipment that gives you SPD is better than any single DEF one.

Abilities are the real important thing in this game and they can turn unwinnable battles to manageable ones. Of course the best abilities get unlocked at JLVL20, hah.

Of course if you want to min/ max then you have to search on GFAQs...

Red Mage

Yes they have and I did not find a good FAQ explaining that. I just... didn't give a fuck and changed the jobs after hitting JLVL 20.

I'd say: do not think about it. It is not that important. Have 1 White Mage --> Seer, 1 Black Mage --> Magus, 2 Tanks and that's it. Light Tank --> Paladin, Dark Tank --> Ninja.

On GFAQs forums people suggested to spend some levels as Thief for the SPD attribute level up. SPD is king in late game/ post game. Every piece of equipment that gives you SPD is better than any single DEF one.

Abilities are the real important thing in this game and they can turn unwinnable battles to manageable ones. Of course the best abilities get unlocked at JLVL20, hah.

Of course if you want to min/ max then you have to search on GFAQs...

Nah, I am not into Min/Maxing. I just didn't want to be stuck half-way through the game with a crappy party. From what I've read, you get around 60-70 JP for each character by the end of the game. Is that right? Also, I was looking around and apparently instead of bothering to give the WoL an equivalent of Ninja they gave them a class to boost Stats instead. So it seems a lot less important for them, which is good.

I like creating a Monk/(Black) Mage hybrid in games so that it becomes my "Kill it by any means" option. I even made a Skyrim character who was a Mage with really strong punches. xD

Mono

My copy of Curtain Call came yesterday and god this game is addicting.

The characters I've unlocked so far are:

Zack
X-2 Yuna
Seifer
Crystal Chronicles guy
Serah
Ramza
Vaan
Benjamin
X-2 Rikku
Ace

I'm aiming for dat Rinoa so I can have my almost full VIII party :D My part is Seifer, Squall, Cloud and X-2 Yuna.

CC Rinoa is super adorable! ;u;

u6PG7aB.png

I also love Edgar and his little buzz saw! He is never coming off my team even though I got him to level 99. :X

Nah, I am not into Min/Maxing. I just didn't want to be stuck half-way through the game with a crappy party. From what I've read, you get around 60-70 JP for each character by the end of the game. Is that right? Also, I was looking around and apparently instead of bothering to give the WoL an equivalent of Ninja they gave them a class to boost Stats instead. So it seems a lot less important for them, which is good.

Yes it is in the 60-90 JP range if you find every Moogle Coin. I had like 50 JP left per person in post game and then you have an infinite source of JP so you can max every job but it would take ages...

That class is WHACK (Memorist). I never spent even a minute using it. You can create the most powerful character by using it because you raise your stats yourself so you can have the most powerful Tank or Mage etc. Upping those stats require you to travel all around the World visiting Cities and Dungeons you have already cleared. It is a huge sidequest in itself that I simply decided not to do.

I like creating a Monk/(Black) Mage hybrid in games so that it becomes my "Kill it by any means" option. I even made a Skyrim character who was a Mage with really strong punches. xD

Generally speaking making hybrid classes in this game is not recommended. You are first upping your STR, ATK, DEF etc. and then switching to a Mage that doesn't use those stats (INT, MAG instead). You will have a lesser Mage and a lesser Monk and it shows, believe me. Every INT point helps your Mage, every MND point helps your Healer. It makes for unnecessary challenge IMO :)

Falk

that puzzling face
Does it have online shenanigans like the message sending in III DS? Cuz DS online functionality is dead and that actually locks content in III DS

TnK

Does it have online shenanigans like the message sending in III DS? Cuz DS online functionality is dead and that actually locks content in III DS

What is the message sending in III DS? I don't remember it at all, and I don't think I ever used it.

Anyways, seems like I will be playing the DS version. PC version is gimped.

TnK

Because Japan thinks people will all use the crappy social aspects of their games.

Still, it's a dumb idea to hide that option via a system that will be gone in a number of years. There should have been a way to unlock it without using mognet.

Wazzy

Banned
Posted in the Curtain Call thread about it but want to talk about it here too. The Tribute video was really adorable and the ending with all the couples was cute.

CorvoSol

Still, it's a dumb idea to hide that option via a system that will be gone in a number of years. There should have been a way to unlock it without using mognet.

Square Enix let a man waste six plus years designing and redesigning characters for a game he was supposed to be developing. Dumb is a very, very soft word for what they are.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square Enix let a man waste six plus years designing and redesigning characters for a game he was supposed to be developing. Dumb is a very, very soft word for what they are.

Would a bunch of jokers or incompetent have more aptitude?

Although I am particularly fond of "Consistently dumbfounded by ineptitude".

Xux

It's kinda depressing playing the FFV field stages and seeing the 3D overworld scroll past. I should pick up Bravely Default after I'm done with Dark Souls.

Holykael1

Banned
Warialasky's Final Fantasy 7 review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMBUHKUCl1k

An excellent review of the game that goes over the development history of the game, influences, strengths and flaws with incredible presentation and production values. Highly recommended watch. There are a few plot spoilers related to character backstories and general lore of the game for anyone concerned about that. He really nails it imo.

This channel also has similarly well made reviews for previous final fantasy games, here is the playlist for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCH8faf6Gax19N4lYQbPrK-is-4m8Kzw

Red Mage

Yes it is in the 60-90 JP range if you find every Moogle Coin. I had like 50 JP left per person in post game and then you have an infinite source of JP so you can max every job but it would take ages...

That class is WHACK (Memorist). I never spent even a minute using it. You can create the most powerful character by using it because you raise your stats yourself so you can have the most powerful Tank or Mage etc. Upping those stats require you to travel all around the World visiting Cities and Dungeons you have already cleared. It is a huge sidequest in itself that I simply decided not to do.

Oh, forget that then. Sounds awful.

Generally speaking making hybrid classes in this game is not recommended. You are first upping your STR, ATK, DEF etc. and then switching to a Mage that doesn't use those stats (INT, MAG instead). You will have a lesser Mage and a lesser Monk and it shows, believe me. Every INT point helps your Mage, every MND point helps your Healer. It makes for unnecessary challenge IMO :)

Er... what's the point of having the job system then? Why not do it like, say, Seiken Densetsu 3 where you have classes and paths for those classes?

you're telling a guy with the forum name 'red mage' not to multiclass

Yep. I don't care for min/maxing stats, but I like creating unique combinations that make the gameplay a bit different.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If you people had to pick one, would you rather have an FFX prequel featuring Braska, Jecht, and Auron OR an FFVIII prequel featuring Laguna, Kiros, and Ward?

I don't think either is necessary but I think I would rather take the VIII prequel because that has more 'blanks' to fill whereas we already know the majority of Braska's journey since it was 90% similar to Yuna's just by virtue of being the same type of pilgrimage.

Golnei

If you people had to pick one, would you rather have an FFX prequel featuring Braska, Jecht, and Auron OR an FFVIII prequel featuring Laguna, Kiros, and Ward?

I don't think either is necessary but I think I would rather take the VIII prequel because that has more 'blanks' to fill whereas we already know the majority of Braska's journey since it was 90% similar to Yuna's just by virtue of being the same type of pilgrimage.

As much as I'd like to see the Jecht and Auron dynamic get more focus, a FF8 prequel has more to offer - its world hasn't received a 3D depiction as 1, 3, 4 and 7 have; and the lack of concrete information on Laguna's journey allows for a greater degree of flexibility. The absurd contortions of the Crisis Core narrative aren't something that should be repeated.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Whichever one GILGAMESH is in.

On a serious note I'd go with Laguna since Braska and co is another Crisis Core waiting to happen.

Wazzy

Banned

I'm biased but Laguna and co. for sure.

They can explore the Sorceress war and how it affected so many families thus many children ending up in orphanages. They can also explore more of the political aspects, Ellone's powers and parents, some of VIII's characters parents and why they ended up orphaned, etc. It could be really well done and enrich VIII's story even more.

I can't say I trust SE with it, though.

CorvoSol

FFVI prequel starring Leo, Celes and BrainWashed Terra.

Meowster

Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. They have a lot more potential and I think there is (or was at one point) more of a draw to that.. mercenaries, much like Squall and co., but with an entirely different order and different characters and locales. X has the more interesting characters tho (love Braska, Jecht, and Auron). Laguna is probably better than all of them but Kiros and Ward are boring.

Falk

that puzzling face
maybe they're just easing people into the eventual ffix steam version

YES FFIX ON STEAM CONFIRMED

disclaimer that I'm obviously joking since people have taken to quoting me

Mono

Anyone else playing FFIV on steam?

The battles seem very slow....compared to GBA & DS versions

For some odd reason, I can't tell if something is 15 FPS or 60 FPS. It all looks exactly the same to me! But I guess that's good becuase I've been enjoying the Steam version!

maybe they're just easing people into the eventual ffix steam version

YES FFIX ON STEAM CONFIRMED

disclaimer that I'm obviously joking since people have taken to quoting me

I was scanning this thread really fast and you got my hopes up! :'(

iosefe

For some odd reason, I can't tell if something is 15 FPS or 60 FPS. It all looks exactly the same to me! But I guess that's good becuase I've been enjoying the Steam version!

I was scanning this thread really fast and you got my hopes up! :'(

they're working on the 15 FPS battle patch if it isn't done already

Holykael1

Banned
On the subject of prequels I would love to see a final fantasy 6 prequel depicting the empire and kefka's descent into madness, there is a lot of interesting material already in the ultimania. Out of those 2 I would like to see laguna ff8 though.

Golnei

One of the best soundtracks in the series. Not even using bullshit hype.

It had some pretty good pieces, but like many of Ishimoto's solo soundtracks, it wasn't all that thematically varied - there's not much there besides the main leitmotif and a character theme or two. While Crisis Core and Dissidia also had a similar problem, it was balanced out there by arrangements of Uematsu's work.

Started playing FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 yesterday.

The introduction and the story so far (after tutorial) are really good, on par with FF12 story (heavy politics). It is also a very 'mature' FF game with pretty convincing death scene during the first hour. Lots of death all around you with blood and guts etc.

1be32c129ce560f4e6c5d347e94ba9b2.jpg

The battle system is straight up action game. Lock on onto targets and fire spells from a distance, evade to the left or right using the nub etc. In the tutorial you are invincible (auto-reraise) but in the first mission you are not. Shit is tough! I think I need to upgrade my abilities because you cannot grind (?) as there is a limited set of enemies per each area.

Question: can you output PSP1000 (the very first model) to a TV? It looks damn small on the screen and it is difficult to find secrets (i.e. Elixir post tutorial after the Empire's ship crashed).

Can't wait to dive into this game more during the weekend. It has some incredible production values for a handheld FF title.

Tizoc

Playing FF4 3D on Steam, I realize how short the amount of time Edward is in your party. It's like, you fight the AntLion, pick up Rosa, get to Fabul, fight the Baron army, get on the ship and that's it.
Palom and Porom are as short too it seems if not shorter.

I've just finished Tower of Zot, someone remind me if I'm 1/3 of the way through the game or not please?

Falk

that puzzling face
Beef what would you do if TAY 3D came out on Steam then Square Enix announced a FFIV prequel and then there was a FFIV trilogy bundle

Started playing FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 yesterday.

The introduction and the story so far (after tutorial) are really good, on par with FF12 story (heavy politics). It is also a very 'mature' FF game with pretty convincing death scene during the first hour. Lots of death all around you with blood and guts etc.

image wuz here

The battle system is straight up action game. Lock on onto targets and fire spells from a distance, evade to the left or right using the nub etc. In the tutorial you are invincible (auto-reraise) but in the first mission you are not. Shit is tough! I think I need to upgrade my abilities because you cannot grind (?) as there is a limited set of enemies per each area.

Question: can you output PSP1000 (the very first model) to a TV? It looks damn small on the screen and it is difficult to find secrets (i.e. Elixir post tutorial after the Empire's ship crashed).

Can't wait to dive into this game more during the weekend. It has some incredible production values for a handheld FF title.

You can definitely grind if you want, once you've progressed a bit. Eventually you'll be able to go out to the world map, which "costs" 6 hours of game time. Once you're on the world map, you can get into random battles or go to certain zones that have enemies in them, like the nearby Corsi Cave.

Also, once you've done your first real mission and saved afterward, you can go back to the title menu and go into the mission menu, where it'll ask you to load your save. Then it'll look at what missions you've completed and let you run them again. After you finish a mission, you can save, which lets you keep the experience, items, etc you earned during that mission. Then when you load your save normally, you'll be back in the story with upgraded characters. This becomes REALLY useful at higher levels, since you can tackle older missions at higher difficulty levels. And completing missions with higher ranks will reward you with unique weapons, summons, magic, armor, etc. And those can sometimes be more useful than just leveling up.

And you'll unlock the "secret training" function in the arena, where you can set one character and engage the sleep function on your PSP. Come back hours later, and that character will have earned experience. I've gained 3-4 levels with this method a few times, but usually after letting it sit for about a full day. Though after about 24 hours, you stop accruing rewards. You can't let it sit for a week and hit lvl 99.

Top Bottom