• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Also, once you've done your first real mission and saved afterward, you can go back to the title menu and go into the mission menu, where it'll ask you to load your save. Then it'll look at what missions you've completed and let you run them again. After you finish a mission, you can save, which lets you keep the experience, items, etc you earned during that mission. Then when you load your save normally, you'll be back in the story with upgraded characters. This becomes REALLY useful at higher levels, since you can tackle older missions at higher difficulty levels. And completing missions with higher ranks will reward you with unique weapons, summons, magic, armor, etc. And those can sometimes be more useful than just leveling up.

This is helpful, thanks.

Red Mage

If you people had to pick one, would you rather have an FFX prequel featuring Braska, Jecht, and Auron OR an FFVIII prequel featuring Laguna, Kiros, and Ward?

I don't think either is necessary but I think I would rather take the VIII prequel because that has more 'blanks' to fill whereas we already know the majority of Braska's journey since it was 90% similar to Yuna's just by virtue of being the same type of pilgrimage.

Before X-2, I'd have said Jecht, etc. Now, I... don't really care. Neither one excites me. IV's been done to death, V isn't that interesting world-wise, so I guess I'd really like to either see one for VI or a Tales of Symphonia-style prequel for one of the games.

I don't know. Have fun :) Did you start playing Dimensions yet?

Yep. In Chapter 1 WoL.

CorvoSol

Started playing FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 yesterday.

The introduction and the story so far (after tutorial) are really good, on par with FF12 story (heavy politics). It is also a very 'mature' FF game with pretty convincing death scene during the first hour. Lots of death all around you with blood and guts etc.

1be32c129ce560f4e6c5d347e94ba9b2.jpg

The battle system is straight up action game. Lock on onto targets and fire spells from a distance, evade to the left or right using the nub etc. In the tutorial you are invincible (auto-reraise) but in the first mission you are not. Shit is tough! I think I need to upgrade my abilities because you cannot grind (?) as there is a limited set of enemies per each area.

Question: can you output PSP1000 (the very first model) to a TV? It looks damn small on the screen and it is difficult to find secrets (i.e. Elixir post tutorial after the Empire's ship crashed).

Can't wait to dive into this game more during the weekend. It has some incredible production values for a handheld FF title.

You can grind on the world map, and you can go to the arena on campus and let the game grind for you in sleep mode. No idea how HD is gonna do that part.

So after so many months I finally tried lighting return. Just beaten snow. Man this game really sucks, the dialogues , inconsistent graphics, poor IQ, the story, even the battle system and music fares poorer than 13 and 13-2.

:( I actually thought 13-2 was decent, this is the worst of the three so far.

CorvoSol

Why the hell do Square have a boner for IV?

Once upon a time there was a man named Takashi Tokita. He worked on a few very well known Squaresoft games which had a strong fan following. Games like Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, and Final Fantasy IV all list him as a director. Tokita's been at Square ever since, and has been quietly rereleasing FFIV and remaking it again and again and again.

If Lightning is Toriyama's perfect creepy waifu, then Cecil is Tokita's retirement grease. Imagine making something over a decade ago and profiting off of it for basically the rest of your life.

The END.

As a side note, I think its just that FF4 is 1) a well known and popular FF game and 2) easy to port and sell for the above reason. It's not the world's most popular FF, and it isn't the world's best FF, but its an easily recognizeable one.

Xux

Hopefully, they've made enough off the mobile and Steam versions of FFIV to justify 3DS/mobile/Steam versions of 3D remakes of FFV and FFVI.

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean, if there was any single reason for a proper 3D remake of FFVI it would be to wipe the memory of FFVI ios from existence.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Started playing FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 yesterday.

The introduction and the story so far (after tutorial) are really good, on par with FF12 story (heavy politics). It is also a very 'mature' FF game with pretty convincing death scene during the first hour. Lots of death all around you with blood and guts etc.

1be32c129ce560f4e6c5d347e94ba9b2.jpg

The battle system is straight up action game. Lock on onto targets and fire spells from a distance, evade to the left or right using the nub etc. In the tutorial you are invincible (auto-reraise) but in the first mission you are not. Shit is tough! I think I need to upgrade my abilities because you cannot grind (?) as there is a limited set of enemies per each area.

Question: can you output PSP1000 (the very first model) to a TV? It looks damn small on the screen and it is difficult to find secrets (i.e. Elixir post tutorial after the Empire's ship crashed).

Can't wait to dive into this game more during the weekend. It has some incredible production values for a handheld FF title.

Thx! Waiting to read more of your impressions :p

WHOA WHOA WHOA

slow down there Satan.

She doesn't even have to be playable, just show up to help the story along. Need a way to the Floating Continent? Don't worry, Krile knows how to get there! Statues need moving? Here, let Krile show you how, Kefka! Need some fish for Uncle Cid? Krile knows the perfect location!

CorvoSol

She doesn't even have to be playable, just show up to help the story along. Need a way to the Floating Continent? Don't worry, Krile knows how to get there! Statues need moving? Here, let Krile show you how, Kefka! Need some fish for Uncle Cid? Krile knows the perfect location!

You are the Darkest of Lords.

Kssio_Aug

I'm playing Final Fntasy III, and need to know something:

I've pratically just got the job system, just arrived to Canaan. However, Luneth is for a long time with those two arrows lowering his stats. I've already tried sleeping and drinking the water on those fountains but nothing cures that!

Can someone explain me what is that status aliment, and how I cure that?

Thanks!

Edit:
Great, now I have 2 on the party petrified. I need to fund a way to cure them quickly. I bought some "Gold Needles" but theyre too expensive by now.

Pachimari

I have never completed a Final Fantasy game. The closest I got were Crisis Core, when I decided to just stop right before the end battle, but it remains one of my favorites until today.

That said, I won't judge these games too much without completing them, so now I'll try to play them all the way through.

Starting with Final Fantasy X, which I began and played 4 hours of yesterday. I played it further when I were younger but now I understand much more, and it's pretty cool so far. My favorite so far is Lulu but admit Auron is badass too.

mGQVG3Q.jpg

Squire

Banned
I have never completed a Final Fantasy game. The closest I got were Crisis Core, when I decided to just stop right before the end battle, but it remains one of my favorites until today.

That said, I won't judge these games too much without completing them, so now I'll try to play them all the way through.

Starting with Final Fantasy X, which I began and played 4 hours of yesterday. I played it further when I were younger but now I understand much more, and it's pretty cool so far. My favorite so far is Lulu but admit Auron is badass too.

mGQVG3Q.jpg

Have fun with FFX! It's one of my favorite FFs and one of my favorite games ever. And I'll tell you now, it's one of the more unique games in the series, in terms of it's lore. Seriously, take your time in that world. Really drink in it.

And after this you should play Final Fantasy IX. It's a masterpiece that will make your heart grow three sizes. ❤️❤️❤️

Pachimari

I really liked FFX years ago and it's in my top 20 all time list.

Next I'll do Final Fantasy XI before that world dies out.

Any beginner tips for FFX anyway? In regards to developing ones characters. I'm using the International Sphere Grid.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Not a big fan of X, even prefer X-2 over it. Unfortunately characters, world, lore and story didn't click with me enough to fall in love with it like before (and after) with other FFs. I don't even like the BS, too simple and basic (rock, paper, scissors) to keep the game going for 40+hrs. It's actually that specific title that made me abandon (for years) the entire series. My expectations coming from PSOne era were way bigger.

This is rich coming from the biggest FFXIII fan on the board.

Yup, I love XIII way more than X. XIII it's one of my favorites entries in the series, even if after so many years looking back at it I realize that a less linear experience would've made it even better ~

Squire

Banned
I really liked FFX years ago and it's in my top 20 all time list.

Next I'll do Final Fantasy XI before that world dies out.

Any beginner tips for FFX anyway? In regards to developing ones characters. I'm using the International Sphere Grid.

I've played with the Expert Grid. Of you bump the FFX HD OT I'm sure you'll get SE help in no time.

Not a big fan of X, even prefer X-2 over it. Unfortunately characters, world, lore and story didn't click with me enough to fall in love with it like before (and after) with other FFs. I don't even like the BS, too simple and basic (rock, paper, scissors) to keep the game going for 40+hrs. It's actually that specific title that made me abandon (for years) the entire series. My expectations coming from PSOne era were way bigger.

This is rich coming from the biggest FFXIII fan on the board.

Squire

Banned
I thought there's only a Original and International grid? What's the differences anyway?

There are two grids, yes. The standard grid appears in the regular version of the game. In the International and HD versions you can choose between the standard grid and the expert grid, which is what you're referring to.

On the expert grid, every character starts in the center. This gives you more control in how you develop their stats and skills. You need to know the game really well or have a guide to play the game this way, since you can bork your characters pretty badly.

Pachimari

No way. Now I have my mind on FFX and I really want to complete it, ignoring all other games.

4 hours is a lot to me as I don't play much but I'll do it.

How long is the main story anyway?

Holykael1

Banned
No way. Now I have my mind on FFX and I really want to complete it, ignoring all other games.

4 hours is a lot to me as I don't play much but I'll do it.

How long is the main story anyway?

The expert grid ain't so bad. If you are insecure, read up on some tips online and you should be more than fine. Better than replaying 4 hours worth of game imo. It's mostly just a less linear/pre determined progression. If you "screw up" progression it's not like you reach some kind of immutable roadblock, you can grind your way out of it since you can move freely around the grid and I doubt one would fuck it up so much that they would have to grind more than 4 hours to get something decent.

Pachimari

But is Expert really that much harder that I should replay the past 4 hours?

It's kind of killing it for me.

I'm playing the PS2 version but also have the HD Remaster sealed, though I don't like Tidus' new face.

I'm playing the PS2 version but also have the HD Remaster sealed, though I don't like Tidus' new face.

The game isn't any harder, it's just a different grid layout. It allows more freedom in developing characters, but it also lets you screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.

I wouldn't restart.

Holykael1

Banned

Well did you know the ps2 version(since you have the expert grid I assume you are playing an European Copy) runs 17% slower because it's still chained to the non 60 hz non optimized PAL format(50Hz vs 60hz)? Thankfully last gen there were no such shenanigans anymore because of the HD formats being universal but you still have some cases of it in the ps2 era, FF X is one of them.
In the long run you would actually save time if you switched over to the HD remaster in this case, nevermind the grids and whatnot . It will be a chore to replay those 4 hours(since the hd remaster runs at the proper 60hz 4 hours would actually equate to 3 hours:20 minutes only) but it is far more of a chore to have a game run 17% slower and with nasty borders for dozens and dozens of hours. I get what you say about Tidus' face but is it still worth it on the light of these facts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7h9htbYDss

Top Bottom