• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Pachimari

Hmm it's such a difficult decision. I'll think about it today as I'm moving to a new apartment tomorrow. I might restart with the HD Remaster or just continue on.

iosefe

Hmm it's such a difficult decision. I'll think about it today as I'm moving to a new apartment tomorrow. I might restart with the HD Remaster or just continue on.

expert sphere grid isn't too hard to work with. but it is kinda easy to lose track. for example, Yuna and Lulu can crisscross really easily. though since it is your first time, it might be best to restart and use the Standard

Squire

Banned
expert sphere grid isn't too hard to work with. but it is kinda easy to lose track. for example, Yuna and Lulu can crisscross really easily. though since it is your first time, it might be best to restart and use the Standard

That's what I'm thinking.

aravuus

Yeah I really, really don't think expert grid is a smart choice for a first timer even if it isn't as difficult or complex as some people make it out to be

Pachimari

So far I know what I have been doing with the grid leading the characters in different ways. So for example I take Lulu through the magic spheres and Tidus through those close combat ones etc.

But I start over with the HD Remaster when I have moved.

RDreamer

Started making some custom posters to hang up in my downstairs gaming bar. The idea started out to do something similar to Bioshock's plasmid ads but for Final Fantasy:

eyF4PQq.jpg

CorvoSol

Started making some custom posters to hang up in my downstairs gaming bar. The idea started out to do something similar to Bioshock's plasmid ads but for Final Fantasy:

*Nomura's Remedy May Take Up To 8 Years To Take Effect Before Becoming Tabata's Tonic.

RDreamer

*Nomura's Remedy May Take Up To 8 Years To Take Effect Before Becoming Tabata's Tonic.

lol, I pretty much had the same thought while making it. I also almost wanted to try and fit in some sort of belt pun :p

I wanted to do 4 of them and didn't really know who molded the series more than Nomura.

And now I'm a bit sad that I didn't physically find the bottles and make them into these so that I could display them near the posters. Oh well.

Awesome posters!

I uh...I'm going to be a picky nerd for a moment, if that's okay.

Seeing the bottle labeled "Phoenix Down" reminded me that phoenix down is literally downy feathers from a phoenix, like goose down.

It made me think of a hypothetical phoenix down pillow with the tagline, "Sleep well and rise like a phoenix in the morning!" or something equally corny like the tag lines in Bioshock.

RDreamer

Awesome posters!

I uh...I'm going to be a picky nerd for a moment, if that's okay.

Seeing the bottle labeled "Phoenix Down" reminded me that phoenix down is literally downy feathers from a phoenix, like goose down.

It made me think of a hypothetical phoenix down pillow with the tagline, "Sleep well and rise like a phoenix in the morning!" or something equally corny like the tag lines in Bioshock.

Nice tag line!

I know it's normally a feather, but in this instance I thought of it more like alcohol that had something in it. So like a tequila worm or something. The feather lends its magic to the drink. (I basically have that written on the bottle :p)

Nice tag line!

I know it's normally a feather, but in this instance I thought of it more like alcohol that had something in it. So like a tequila worm or something. The feather lends its magic to the drink. (I basically have that written on the bottle :p)

Oh, I like that!

Hmm, what item would Yoshi-P put his name on?

Ambitious

I started playing Final Fantasy IV today. So far it's a bit disappointing. There's nothing remarkable about the characters, the villain, the world and the gameplay. The enemy encounter rate is ridiculous. I'm not too fond of constantly having party members join and leave either.

Squire

Banned
I started playing Final Fantasy IV today. So far it's a bit disappointing. There's nothing remarkable about the characters, the villain, the world and the gameplay. The enemy encounter rate is ridiculous. I'm not too fond of constantly having party members join and leave either.

Sounds like you didn't adjust your expectations properly for a game from 1991.

CorvoSol

It's Square's first SNES game. Cecil was terribly deep for 91 Square.

aravuus

Good old gambits doing their job, my team's been beating on Hell Wyrm for 10 minutes now and I don't have to do anything. Dang I love FF XII's battle system. If the story was anything like earlier games and the characters weren't this mind-numbingly boring, XII would most certainly be my favorite of the series. Now it's behind the PS1 FFs and FFX.

e: i rushed to the end cause i wanted to finish the game and start a yet another playthrough of ix but... now i kinda want to restart xii again. it's just an incredibly fun game to actually play, unlike many jrpgs

CorvoSol

Never got an answer. As VI is my favorite FF game, is the Android version Worth it?

I have no idea was it is saying. So, I don't know.

I looked it over and some of it seems okay, like bug fixes and game rebalancing, some of it sounds really cool like New Game + and Costumes, but it sounds like they added story events too, and if the shitfest that was Crimson Echoes is any indication, I'm not sure how good mucking around with the game's story will be.

Good old gambits doing their job, my team's been beating on Hell Wyrm for 10 minutes now and I don't have to do anything. Dang I love FF XII's battle system. If the story was anything like earlier games and the characters weren't this mind-numbingly boring, XII would most certainly be my favorite of the series. Now it's behind the PS1 FFs and FFX.

e: i rushed to the end cause i wanted to finish the game and start a yet another playthrough of ix but... now i kinda want to restart xii again. it's just an incredibly fun game to actually play, unlike many jrpgs

Gotta agree with ya. Actually playing it (or letting it play itself) was very enjoyable. Too bad the story and characters were not very compelling.

Okay, since the steam release has got me thinking about it again, there's something I was wondering about XIII-2:

The XIII cast surviving/becoming uncrystallized is the original paradox, correct?So the entire time they keep talking about solving the paradoxes and everything is futile since the original paradox was them surviving. So... why aren't paradoxes still in LR? The original paradox was never solved and Caius succeeded. They kept on acting like they solved something and time was fixed despite the consequences, but it wasn't. Chaos, partly what was causing the ability to time travel, is out in force more than ever. More spacetime singularities should be happening, causing more time gates to be formed.

Second question, now: What exactly was Cauis' plan for saving Yuel? The Ultimania actually confused me more than anything else. It was something about creating so many paradoxes that inevitably Serah and Noel would end up going to the future he wanted... or something? But that doesn't make sense since Lightning was heavily implied to be the one guiding them and again, they were the original paradox. Or was it that Lightning was guiding them and Caius kept sending messages back from the future (he doesn't actually time travel) to keep guiding them anyway? But then Lightning should realize that since she is in the past and future in Valhalla and... ARGH!

Didn't time cease to exist in the XIII-2 ending? Wasn't that the whole point? End the flow of time so that Yeul wouldn't die? Was I paying attention?

Didn't time cease to exist in the XIII-2 ending? Wasn't that the whole point? End the flow of time so that Yeul wouldn't die? Was I paying attention?

People stopped aging, but other than that, time kept going on. Plants still grew, the world kept spinning, day and night still happened, and we had a 13 day time limit. I really don't want to get super scientific about a series with magic, but I really think they failed at the whole "a world without time" since, for all intents and purposes, the only thing that changed was that people stopped biologically aging (psychologically they did and the issues with this was brought up several times in side quests and even the main quest). Then again, they dropped crap tons of plot threads, so maybe that was one of them.

Yeul stopped dying because something about there being "no future" anymore... but again, I don't see how that works when everything else other than aging works the same as before and nothing prevents there from being parallel universes or anything anymore. Nova Chystallia should have been more like Valhalla with everything happening simultaneously and the sequence of events being very fluid until, if allowed to reach a certain point, would restart itself... but it wasn't.

Yuel didn't die anymore because of Etro's death(which is what Caius wanted). Her curse was gone.

So futures can happen, and she will not see them nor die.

The only thing that happened was people can't be born nor naturally die and the world is dying, again because of Etro's death.

Thats right... But I'm still Pretty sure I remember something about time crashing along with that. Might have been an interview about the plot that later just kinda fell to the wayside... Like a lot of XIII-2's interviews.

aravuus

Now then, let's see how fast I can 100% FF IX if I skip most of the dialogue (cause I pretty much remember what happens in the first 2 discs word to word) and make use of epsxe's fast forwarding/frame limit disabling. Grinding is incredibly easy and fast when playing on an emulator, so good.

e: maybe i'll 100% viii and x-2 after ix, it's always fun to play a bunch of different ff games one after the other

e2: and after like 3 hours, i'm done with disc 1 lol. 13 hours according to the game's clock.

SougoXIII

Okay, since the steam release has got me thinking about it again, there's something I was wondering about XIII-2:

The XIII cast surviving/becoming uncrystallized is the original paradox, correct?So the entire time they keep talking about solving the paradoxes and everything is futile since the original paradox was them surviving. So... why aren't paradoxes still in LR? The original paradox was never solved and Caius succeeded. They kept on acting like they solved something and time was fixed despite the consequences, but it wasn't. Chaos, partly what was causing the ability to time travel, is out in force more than ever. More spacetime singularities should be happening, causing more time gates to be formed.

Second question, now: What exactly was Cauis' plan for saving Yuel? The Ultimania actually confused me more than anything else. It was something about creating so many paradoxes that inevitably Serah and Noel would end up going to the future he wanted... or something? But that doesn't make sense since Lightning was heavily implied to be the one guiding them and again, they were the original paradox. Or was it that Lightning was guiding them and Caius kept sending messages back from the future (he doesn't actually time travel) to keep guiding them anyway? But then Lightning should realize that since she is in the past and future in Valhalla and... ARGH!

See? This is why you don't play the FFXIII sequels for the plot. They have given up on it a longgggg time ago.

Now then, let's see how fast I can 100% FF IX if I skip most of the dialogue (cause I pretty much remember what happens in the first 2 discs word to word) and make use of epsxe's fast forwarding/frame limit disabling. Grinding is incredibly easy and fast when playing on an emulator, so good.

e: maybe i'll 100% viii and x-2 after ix, it's always fun to play a bunch of different ff games one after the other

e2: and after like 3 hours, i'm done with disc 1 lol. 13 hours according to the game's clock.

Technically it'd only be 99.9% because you'd be missing Excalibur 2.

Wazzy

Banned
Wooooo Squall confirmed for FF Explores!

Edit: UGH why do they constantly use his Dissidia design? I hate his feather waist thing and the v-neck cut.

Xux

Wooooo Squall confirmed for FF Explores!

Edit: UGH why do they constantly use his Dissidia design? I hate his feather waist thing and the v-neck cut.
Haha, I always thought that was his jacket around his waist before Diissidia.

Wazzy

Banned
Haha, I always thought that was his jacket around his waist before Diissidia.
I'm pretty sure it's because it was supposed to be his jacket around his waist but they instead combined aspects of Amano design with his original.
They do it for me. Because I like the buttcape.
I would probably like it if there wasn't the feathers because those make it look like he has a jacket wrapped around his waist while also wearing one.

The V neck is a little unnecessary since his plain white T is fine but I can see how some like it.

*this complaint applies to Dissidia, not exploreres*: My biggest gripe was how thin he was in the artwork but I know you like it since we've discussed this before. :p I like squall being a bit more buff since he is at a military school and is 17.

CorvoSol

I'm pretty sure it's because it was supposed to be his jacket around his waist but they instead combined aspects of Amano design with his original.

I would probably like it if there wasn't the feathers because those make it look like he has a jacket wrapped around his waist while also wearing one.

The V neck is a little unnecessary since his plain white T is fine but I can see how some like it.

*this complaint applies to Dissidia, not exploreres*: My biggest gripe was how thin he was in the artwork but I know you like it since we've discussed this before. :p I like squall being a bit more buff since he is at a military school and is 17.

No I'm right there with you on Squall buffing up. Kinda feel that way about Cloud, too. Bro needs some muscles.

Sadly, if you want a Professor Beefcake, though, you have to go for Red Alt Warrior of Light EX Mode and live with it.

Not complaining too much, but is it just me or are they really hammering the nostalgia home lately? It seems old characters are being shoved into everything that isn't a mainline title.

Wazzy

Banned
No I'm right there with you on Squall buffing up. Kinda feel that way about Cloud, too. Bro needs some muscles.

Sadly, if you want a Professor Beefcake, though, you have to go for Red Alt Warrior of Light EX Mode and live with it.
Warrior did have a hot alt. Should have been his main design tbh
Whats wrong with v-necks? (slowly zips up jacket)

Nothing,! I just hate how Squall's v-neck is designed. He looked better with his White T.

Ambitious

Sounds like you didn't adjust your expectations properly for a game from 1991.

It's Square's first SNES game. Cecil was terribly deep for 91 Square.

Okay, okay, I take it back.
I'm at the final boss now. Failed twice so far. I'm not terribly under-leveled, but I'm still going to grind for a while.

edit: Done. Wasn't that bad. But still, I don't feel like playing The After Years at all.

Top Bottom