• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Mono

See? This is why you don't play the FFXIII sequels for the plot. They have given up on it a longgggg time ago.

Even the first one took me ~2 playthroughs to piece together what was happening! I gave up on plot and just enjoyed the improved battle system of XIII-2. Haven't played LR yet.

It's not really that it's overly complex, but they throw so many new terms at you that I had to keep looking words up on the wiki to know what was going on during my first run of the game.

I still like it, though!

Squire

Banned
How is FFVIII on PC? I already own it on Steam, but I'm five hours into the PS M1 Classic version and it feels like it emulates really poorly on Vita. Lots of button lag/buttons just not working suddenly. I want to play on Vita because of the portability (it's easier to just play a few hours before I go to sleep), but not if this keeps up.

CorvoSol

Okay, okay, I take it back.
I'm at the final boss now. Failed twice so far. I'm not terribly under-leveled, but I'm still going to grind for a while.

edit: Done. Wasn't that bad. But still, I don't feel like playing The After Years at all.

Didn't mean to dogpile you, haha. 4 isn't very deep, no, but I kinda think it's leaps ahead of its predecessors in the story department. I also think the DS version adds some good stuff to it.

Didn't mean to dogpile you, haha. 4 isn't very deep, no, but I kinda think it's leaps ahead of its predecessors in the story department. I also think the DS version adds some good stuff to it.

Compared to the previous three entries, definitely. It's one thing I'll give FFIV, it really upped the story telling. It wasn't till the DS version and the Augment system where I actually started enjoyed playing it. Now it's on just about every single system ever.

It was "must not be forgotten" before Lightning was a spark in Tetsuya Nomura's Mako infused eyes.

Falk

that puzzling face
https://www.facebook.com/VGOOnline/...741828.197146980760/10152770815000761/?type=1

10553407_10152770815000761_6789426441663503611_n.jpg

I bet you can't guess my hype levels right about now

heytred

Neo Member
What's the best party formation for FFVIII? I just got Irvine, so going to Deling next.

I'm playing right now (Low level until late Disc 3, grinding to 100 right now for max stats) and personally I prefer Squall/Irvine/Quistis, but really I don't think there's a "best" party. I just like melting enemies with Irvine's Limit Break.

Turin

Banned
What's the best party formation for FFVIII? I just got Irvine, so going to Deling next.

Just go with the characters you like. Once you figure out the junction system it doesn't matter. It's one of the easiest rpg's to overpower your characters in.

Wazzy

Banned

Anyone can be good but I generally find the strongest party is Squall/Rinoa/Zell. Their limit breaks are insanely good. Irvine's can be fantastic but you need the ammo and proper stats in order for his LB to be one of the best.

hacked version Squall/Seifer/Rinoa

Nerokis

Wow, this is incredible:

More here.

It was LR that SE advertised with a FFVI-esque story trailer, right? Imagine the VII aesthetic finding its way into some XV materials, or even into the game itself in the form of a minigame or something. I suddenly find myself missing those low poly models.

I'm not sure how search works but i searched "record keeper" in this thread and got no hits. When i searched for threads i found one where one person posted "its out" and no one responded. I am going to write my impressions on this game because it is being ignored in the west and imo it is criminal. I wanted to make an OT but i'm not a member yet. Hopefully enough people try it out from this post that a decent discussion on it can be had.

Now, Final Fantasy Record Keeper is blowing up in japan. It is kind of baffling how no one is talking about it in the west (that i have seen). Right now, It is #9 top grossing on jp play store and #2 top free and #1 top new free. It is also doing really well on iOS according to my friend.

It is a free to play, turn based ATB based RPG currently out for android and ios in japan only. It is more simplified than a normal FF game, but it is actual ATB combat like FF4, 6 etc. The game is very deep and i will talk about the things i enjoy most about it to try to get you to TRY it.

You have a generic main character you can name yourself (you don't have to keep him in your party) but everyone else in your party are actual final fantasy characters like Cloud, Wakka, White Mage, Kain, etc. My current party is Cloud, Main Character, Tifa, Sephiroth, and White mage. You get more characters from progressing in the story and from events. A FF4 event (where you could get cecil and paladin cecil) just ended and a FF7 event which ends in 5 days is going on right now. Getting these characters is really fun and satisfying. I saw on siliconera that you can get Tetsuya Nomura! (not entirely sure how because it is a cross promotion and my jp is weak)

The combat is straight up ATB combat. Everyone has attack and defend (and skip turn) but certain characters can equip certain items and abilities. For example, Cloud cannot use white magic while White Mage can. Tifa can not equip swords while Cecil can and so on. You get more equipment through end of battle drops or gacha, and you make abilities from dropped Orbs. You can power up equipment through normal F2P power up systems (use equips + gold to make stronger, fuse 2 of same equip to get a stronger equip) and you power up abilities through Orbs.

The bosses play out like they did in the game they are from. For example, the Mist Dragon at the beginning of FF4 is a boss and the same mechanic of when he turns into mist and you have to stop attacking is present. You have to stop attacking until he forms again and then proceed to attack or you will miss and take a huge counter attack. Elemental weaknesses are present. Some bosses will channel a spell and if you hit with their weakness they will be interrupted.

Production values are top notch. I saw someone lamenting the fact that they straight up took old sprites. However, to me that is a good thing. They made sprites for ALL the characters even FFX. Heck, there's a Nomura sprite (below). This kind of fun and having a snes era FF in presentation is perfect for mobile gaming because it does not take a lot of processing or battery power while at the same time instills nostalgia and reminds me of snes era FF goodness.

nd_thumb.jpg

The MUSIC in this game is my second favorite thing after the gameplay. It is classic FF music, FF6 boss music in particular gets me hyped up every time. I don't need to say much more than it uses the actual music from every game world that u visit. FF7 music in the FF7 world FFX music in FFX world, etc. And not just one track. There are at least 3-5 tracks, or more, for every world for different occasions. It is AWESOME as a huge fan of a series to hear these tracks as you play.

The game is relatively new so only FF 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 have worlds/characters but more are promised to come. I'm sure eventually every FF will be in this game. This is a lot of content though and events seem frequent.

There is ALWAYS progress! Yes there is a stamina system but you get back the points relatively quickly (I get all of my stamina back in 90 minutes). One of the things i enjoy most though is that every time i play, i get something. Either i'm closer to finishing a long challenging dungeon, or i grinded XP and orbs from an easier dungeon and am closer to powering up my thundara, or i got enough gil to power up my Tifa's armor a little more. Or i unlocked a new character and have leveled them up 3-4 times.

The free to play hooks are FAIR:
One, there is a daily every day where you can get 1-3 mithril (the premium "gem") depending on how strong you are.

Two, you can grind exp easily to get more hp and stats for your party members to get strong enough to beat tougher battles. In fact, there is an auto battle (all your characters do attack over and over) that makes grinding REALLY easy to the point where you can watch TV while grinding. You cannot beat any difficult enemies or bosses with mechanics of course, but for mindless grinding and spending your stamina? This is really convenient. Yes every new character you get starts at level 1, so it takes a little bit of time to level them. But with decent gear and auto battle they will be strong enough to hang on their own in no time at all!

Three, materials (orbs) cannot be gotten from free to play mechanics. These must be grinded/gotten from playing the game. The abilities, as mentioned above, are the most fun and key method of progressing and succeeding in this game (equipment is arguably as important but imo abilities make the actual gameplay deeper).

Four, the rewards from missions (especially hard mode missions) and events are incredibly rewarding and attainable to the point where gacha RNG is not a big deal at all to progressing and getting stronger. The events in particular are amazing because you get a mithril for every dungeon and 2-3 star rewards at higher levels. I just unlocked sephiroth from the current event with a mostly level 25 team and it was challenging (and fun) but do-able. In fact, I started playing the game only a few days before this event began and I was able to get strong enough to beat the entirety of it without putting a single penny into the game.

TLDR: Great mobile game called Final Fantasy Record Keeper you should try, because it is free and fun! (on japanese iOS and Play store)

With all this said, I urge you all to TRY the game. It is free. It is, imo, very fun. And it deserves recognition because this is free to play mobile gaming done right. This is an example of how f2p mobile games can be, fun, non exploitative, and genuinely worthwhile experiences. Add in the final fantasy nostalgia trip and you get something truly amazing.

Red Mage

Okay, okay, I take it back.
I'm at the final boss now. Failed twice so far. I'm not terribly under-leveled, but I'm still going to grind for a while.

edit: Done. Wasn't that bad. But still, I don't feel like playing The After Years at all.

I know you already beat the final boss, but it actually works on two different sets of commands. One is a normal routine it does and the second is completely reactionary. Rydia is almost completely useless in the fight because of its reaction routine. It'll counter her best spells/summons with flare or meteo(r) (forgot which), and this will likely kill her instantly.

I'm not sure how search works but i searched "record keeper" in this thread and got no hits. When i searched for threads i found one where one person posted "its out" and no one responded. I am going to write my impressions on this game because it is being ignored in the west and imo it is criminal. I wanted to make an OT but i'm not a member yet. Hopefully enough people try it out from this post that a decent discussion on it can be had.

Now, Final Fantasy Record Keeper is blowing up in japan. It is kind of baffling how no one is talking about it in the west (that i have seen). Right now, It is #9 top grossing on jp play store and #2 top free and #1 top new free. It is also doing really well on iOS according to my friend.

It is a free to play, turn based ATB based RPG currently out for android and ios in japan only. It is more simplified than a normal FF game, but it is actual ATB combat like FF4, 6 etc. The game is very deep and i will talk about the things i enjoy most about it to try to get you to TRY it.

You have a generic main character you can name yourself (you don't have to keep him in your party) but everyone else in your party are actual final fantasy characters like Cloud, Wakka, White Mage, Kain, etc. My current party is Cloud, Main Character, Tifa, Sephiroth, and White mage. You get more characters from progressing in the story and from events. A FF4 event (where you could get cecil and paladin cecil) just ended and a FF7 event which ends in 5 days is going on right now. Getting these characters is really fun and satisfying. I saw on siliconera that you can get Tetsuya Nomura! (not entirely sure how because it is a cross promotion and my jp is weak)

The combat is straight up ATB combat. Everyone has attack and defend (and skip turn) but certain characters can equip certain items and abilities. For example, Cloud cannot use white magic while White Mage can. Tifa can not equip swords while Cecil can and so on. You get more equipment through end of battle drops or gacha, and you make abilities from dropped Orbs. You can power up equipment through normal F2P power up systems (use equips + gold to make stronger, fuse 2 of same equip to get a stronger equip) and you power up abilities through Orbs.

The bosses play out like they did in the game they are from. For example, the Mist Dragon at the beginning of FF4 is a boss and the same mechanic of when he turns into mist and you have to stop attacking is present. You have to stop attacking until he forms again and then proceed to attack or you will miss and take a huge counter attack. Elemental weaknesses are present. Some bosses will channel a spell and if you hit with their weakness they will be interrupted.

Production values are top notch. I saw someone lamenting the fact that they straight up took old sprites. However, to me that is a good thing. They made sprites for ALL the characters even FFX. Heck, there's a Nomura sprite (below). This kind of fun and having a snes era FF in presentation is perfect for mobile gaming because it does not take a lot of processing or battery power while at the same time instills nostalgia and reminds me of snes era FF goodness.

nd_thumb.jpg

The MUSIC in this game is my second favorite thing after the gameplay. It is classic FF music, FF6 boss music in particular gets me hyped up every time. I don't need to say much more than it uses the actual music from every game world that u visit. FF7 music in the FF7 world FFX music in FFX world, etc. And not just one track. There are at least 3-5 tracks, or more, for every world for different occasions. It is AWESOME as a huge fan of a series to hear these tracks as you play.

The game is relatively new so only FF 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 have worlds/characters but more are promised to come. I'm sure eventually every FF will be in this game. This is a lot of content though and events seem frequent.

There is ALWAYS progress! Yes there is a stamina system but you get back the points relatively quickly (I get all of my stamina back in 90 minutes). One of the things i enjoy most though is that every time i play, i get something. Either i'm closer to finishing a long challenging dungeon, or i grinded XP and orbs from an easier dungeon and am closer to powering up my thundara, or i got enough gil to power up my Tifa's armor a little more. Or i unlocked a new character and have leveled them up 3-4 times.

The free to play hooks are FAIR:
One, there is a daily every day where you can get 1-3 mithril (the premium "gem") depending on how strong you are.

Two, you can grind exp easily to get more hp and stats for your party members to get strong enough to beat tougher battles. In fact, there is an auto battle (all your characters do attack over and over) that makes grinding REALLY easy to the point where you can watch TV while grinding. You cannot beat any difficult enemies or bosses with mechanics of course, but for mindless grinding and spending your stamina? This is really convenient. Yes every new character you get starts at level 1, so it takes a little bit of time to level them. But with decent gear and auto battle they will be strong enough to hang on their own in no time at all!

Three, materials (orbs) cannot be gotten from free to play mechanics. These must be grinded/gotten from playing the game. The abilities, as mentioned above, are the most fun and key method of progressing and succeeding in this game (equipment is arguably as important but imo abilities make the actual gameplay deeper).

Four, the rewards from missions (especially hard mode missions) and events are incredibly rewarding and attainable to the point where gacha RNG is not a big deal at all to progressing and getting stronger. The events in particular are amazing because you get a mithril for every dungeon and 2-3 star rewards at higher levels. I just unlocked sephiroth from the current event with a mostly level 25 team and it was challenging (and fun) but do-able. In fact, I started playing the game only a few days before this event began and I was able to get strong enough to beat the entirety of it without putting a single penny into the game.

TLDR: Great mobile game called Final Fantasy Record Keeper you should try, because it is free and fun! (on japanese iOS and Play store)

With all this said, I urge you all to TRY the game. It is free. It is, imo, very fun. And it deserves recognition because this is free to play mobile gaming done right. This is an example of how f2p mobile games can be, fun, non exploitative, and genuinely worthwhile experiences. Add in the final fantasy nostalgia trip and you get something truly amazing.

Great write up on FFRK. Game is so much fun and very addicting!

Levyne

Banned
I'm currently playing some FFT again (at start of chapter 2) just to kill time as I'm not interested in many of the October games (though I do plan to play through FFXIII PC eventually), and it's the first time in a while that I find myself interested in the going-ons of the game as much as the party management and battles themselves. Though I suppose having only having infrequent plot injections helps the (my) brain to smooth out the edges, if that makes sense. I've played it before but it was years and years ago so I only really remember the loosest bits (or I remember something as soon as it happens again). I'm keeping a large party because that just tends to be how I play these sorts of games so it will probably take some time as I like to try to keep a lot of people leveled. It's something that I just do a few battles before bed, generally.

I wish the android version was in the US store, I can deal with the psn version slowdown but I don't want to look up a video of the mobile version to see how different it is and then suddenly lose the desire to play, lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm thinking of attempting to finish all Final Fantasy next year (2015) and I'm trying to come up with a 'release order' play order, but I'm not sure. So any ideas would be good. I'll probably stick to all main releases and avoid the handheld/spin offs, but I've heard that some of the FF7 ones are decent to play.

I've never finished a Final Fantasy... other than Mystic Quest

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm thinking of attempting to finish all Final Fantasy next year (2015) and I'm trying to come up with a 'release order' play order, but I'm not sure. So any ideas would be good. I'll probably stick to all main releases and avoid the handheld/spin offs, but I've heard that some of the FF7 ones are decent to play.

I've never finished a Final Fantasy... other than Mystic Quest

I think you should try out the 3D classics first (FFVII-FFX) to get a good grasp why FF became really big during those times, then proceed with FFIV (PSP version) - FFVI, then proceed to FFXII - FFXIII (these games are total opposites to each other, and you'll know why these 2 games have a very split fanbase), then you can go for FFI - FFIII (they haven't aged as well as FFIV++).

After those you could try going for the direct prequel/sequel FFs such as FFIV:The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, FFX-2, XIII-2, and LR:FFXIII.

aravuus

I think you should try out the 3D classics first (FFVII-FFX) to get a good grasp why FF became really big during those times, then proceed with FFIV (PSP version) - FFVI, then proceed to FFXII - FFXIII (these games are total opposites to each other, and you'll know why these 2 games have a very split fanbase), then you can go for FFI - FFIII (they haven't aged as well as FFIV++).

After those you could try going for the direct prequel/sequel FFs such as FFIV:The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, FFX-2, XIII-2, and LR:FFXIII.

Bookmarking this post for possible future use.

I've always kind of wanted to do a playthrough of all the main FFs too. Maybe next summer.

Red Mage

Been playing FF6 on Androids and I have a few thoughts. First of all, I love the menu design; it completely fits the steam punk feel of the game. Secondly I now know what it is that bugs me about the sprite work: their arms are just lines on the world map. In battle they are dynamic as were the originals. Why they have two different sprite sheets I cannot answer.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm listening for my first time to FF:CC Crystal Bearers soundtrack (outside of the game I mean) and I must say it's not bad at all, what a surprise. I didn't remember it so catchy and varied, while usually FF:CC OSTs have been quite consistent with instruments and genres. Funny!

Red Mage

So my Android screen cracked and I had to replace the phone. Meaning I get to start over on FF:Dimensions. e_e.

Anyhow, I noticed in the screenshots people posted that they tended to prefer Nacht over Sol. Is there a battle reason for this, or is it just a cosmetic preference?

Levyne

Banned
So I'm into the "meat" of Chapter 4 on my FFT replay. I pretty much have the whole allotted roster filled with equally leveled units, which means I am having to do a fair number of random battles to keep up with the story mission difficulty, but it's nice to not simply be rolling over everything, I guess.

Also using a lot of the cameo/unique characters for the first time (normally I just collect and bench them, like pokemon.) So I'm learning that Agrias is pretty damn powerful, though there's a certain Thunder God that would otherwise likely bench her, Mustadio is very limited in utility. Balthier is super useful, Luso somewhere in between. The golem-duders long distance ability is really great and useful as well, that 100% hit rate. I'm learning how much more powerful Rapha is compared to her brother. I also am using enough characters to have some interesting class combinations, some a lot more useful than others. I think it's my first time having an Arithmetician, Bard, and Dancer. Haven't grinded up anyone to get the Dark Knight class yet, would take quite some time at this rate..

Seda

Over the last week I played Lightning Returns.

What a weird game. You spend most of the time talking to NPCs to do chores (collecting items, killing monsters, talking to other NPCS), fight battles to gain EP to slow down time so you can talk to NPCs and do more chores.

Narrative is as non-sequitur as usual.

Squire

Banned
I'm a little intimidated to post in the OT, so I'll post here.

I started playing FFXIV about a week ago. I put the free trial on my laptop and a friend was kind enough to gift me the full game on Steam.

I'm a Lv. 17 lancer and I think the game is fantastic so far. I can tell there's a lot of depth and options I haven't explored yet, but I love playing. Fighting is fun even if it's nothing special so far, but I think it's all the trappings that make it. The art and the music are excellent. I just got to leave Gridania and while I appreciated the atmosphere of it (Bentbranch, in particular) Limsa Lominsa and Ul'dah have this epic sense of scale to them. And I looooove the writing. It's so high fantasy. It's flowery, but at the same time, I don't think it gets caught up in jargon that the player won't know/can't figure out given the context of the conversation. It's very elegant; I've caught myself reading it aloud, under my breath the last few times I've played alone.

So yeah, I'm in for the long haul. The end of the story line in Gridania was great; I really wanna see what happens next. If you guys have any tips, I'd appreciate them.

Over the last week I played Lightning Returns.

What a weird game. You spend most of the time talking to NPCs to do chores (collecting items, killing monsters, talking to other NPCS), fight battles to gain EP to slow down time so you can talk to NPCs and do more chores.

Narrative is as non-sequitur as usual.

The amount of writing (dialogues) that went into this game... staggering. Such a weird FF game as you said yourself. (I loved it BTW)

aravuus

Gonna give LR a second, proper try when the PC version comes out. Bought it for PS3 for like 70 euros for some insane goddamn reason and played it for an hour lol.

I really gotta watch my spending.

Golnei

I really hope we'll have a reliable method of model replacement or at least texture reinsertion quickly after launch. 13 and its sequel hold up relatively well, visually, but LR needs all the help it can get.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not holding my breath for a massive upgrade even with mods to be honest. You can put a fancy frame over a corridor engine but it's still a corridor engine. Although having a boatload more RAM to play with probably would do its touchy memory management disposition a world of good.

Probably a good indicator would be how far XIII's mods get in the interim.

Levyne

Banned
I finished my FFT re-play yesterday. Even though I was, in a way, handicapping myself since I was leveling a lot of units, the end game still gets pretty easy. Though I didn't want to do Midlight's Deep again, no time for that. Even an untrained Cid and Meliadoul are pretty damn powerful against the late chapter bosses, and all those maps are set up where you can just focus on one unit and ignore the trash. Throw in a doublehanding samurai Ramzo and a doublehanding dragoon and there wasn't a ton of challenge. I'm glad I took the time to replay it. Lots of nuances in the story that had escaped me and for once in a jrpg I was actually pretty damn engaged in the plot (even if I had remembers the progressing/outcome, in broad strokes anyways.)

SE, another game set in Ivalice, pls.

I'm not holding my breath for a massive upgrade even with mods to be honest. You can put a fancy frame over a corridor engine but it's still a corridor engine. Although having a boatload more RAM to play with probably would do its touchy memory management disposition a world of good.

Probably a good indicator would be how far XIII's mods get in the interim.

Having a boat load more RAM didn't help XIII's weird ass GPU and frame rate issues :/ Somehow I doubt they'll put any more effort into LR than they did XIII.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm talking about w.r.t Crystal Tools itself. XIII port's problems are a different subset. Even if/when those get fixed, you're still ultimately playing a game running Crystal Tools

Also hence why I said "Probably a good indicator would be how far XIII's mods get in the interim"

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sigh, I bought a used PS2 just to finally play the International version of FFXII, and WOW it looked terrible on a 1080p TV. The text was hard to read and everything was super blurry even with the TV zoom set to off.
Luckily, my PC seems to be good enough to play XII on an emulator and it looks way better that way.

Top Bottom