• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So today I bought the rest of the mainline FF games that I didn't own. FF1 and 2 on the Vita, 3 on 3DS VC, 4 on PSP and 5 on Wii U VC.
Now that I have all of them, I can finally start clearing them in order, since despite playing all post-VII ones in the past I haven't cleared any of them besides XIII.

JayEH

So I'm about 5 or 6 hours into XIII right now and I completely understand all the complaints about the game now. The combat is really fun but damn the only reason I can play for such a little at a time is but the hallway simulator aspect of it just makes it a drag. The story is a bit hard to keep up with as of right now but I don't find the characters appalling (expect Vanille, fuck her). This is my first real stab at a FF game and I know this isn't the game the people bring up when they talk about the franchise but I'm still enjoying it overall. I'd like to get back to the older PS1 games on PSN once I'm done with XIII.

Wazzy

Banned
That was fun to read. I related to some of it about Squall(I got a slightly different impression of him than others).
I'm curious as to what you saw differently?

Not asking for arguments sake, don't worry. :p just genuinely curious to hear different interpretations.

Turin

Banned
I'm curious as to what you saw differently?

Not asking for arguments sake, don't worry. :p just genuinely curious to hear different interpretations.

I got the impression he was a bit self righteous and likely saw a kind of grandiosity in being the person he was trying to be.

Levyne

Banned
Trying to blitz out my steam-play of XIII before Inquisition hits. And I guess it's time to finally actually play one of these FF games on PC.

These hallways certainly are longer than I remember >___>

And I don't think it's as prevalent now as it was when this was released, but man, putting treasure items in obvious dead ends is such a boring game design, I think. I would like to see more curveballs. Throw in a rare monster in one dead end, and hell, make him not reward anything! It just feels so much "yeah, this is a video game" when an impassible route has to have a treasure chest because otherwise why would you have it. Can't just have a dead end leading to a vista or something, gotta reward map scraping.

Trying to blitz out my steam-play of XIII before Inquisition hits. And I guess it's time to finally actually play one of these FF games on PC.

These hallways certainly are longer than I remember >___>

And I don't think it's as prevalent now as it was when this was released, but man, putting treasure items in obvious dead ends is such a boring game design, I think. I would like to see more curveballs. Throw in a rare monster in one dead end, and hell, make him not reward anything! It just feels so much "yeah, this is a video game" when an impassible route has to have a treasure chest because otherwise why would you have it. Can't just have a dead end leading to a vista or something, gotta reward map scraping.

Ahh man, those hallways. Some of the prettiest hallways I've seen in games. I gotta agree, it would have been nice if there was something other than expected treasure chest at the end of a divergent path. Spice things up a little.

I remember one of my favorite things about FFVII was seeing all the tiny little potion bottles and shining treasure chests scattered around. Trying to find ways to get to them. I miss pre-rendered backgrounds.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Final Fantasy 1 cleared, yay.
Took me 20 hours and a lot of saving/resetting the PSX version, but in the end I have to say that it was a really good game.
Hopefully 2 is a bit more streamlined.

SPAW

Taking damage. My whole playthrough of FF1 consisted of barely staying alive.

Reminds me of my FFV experience. After having started simple enough, the game suddenly decided to become hard on me. I actually ended up never finishing the game after that spike.

SPAW

I think FFV was fairly easy. I remember beating the final boss in two turns and it didn't even attack me.

I was probably speed running more than I should have done. I think I where more anxious to start with FFVI, as the general impression I had from others was that it was the superior game.

Labadal

I was probably speed running more than I should have done. I think I where more anxious to start with FFVI, as the general impression I had from others was that it was the superior game.

I think FFV has the better combat system, considering how much you can fiddle around with jobs. I love FFVI for the world, story and the great soundtrack. Friends and foes are also memorable. I don't think wanting to play FFVI was a bad idea, but FFV is worth beating at least once.

Falk

that puzzling face
They're honestly apples and oranges.

I want to say I prefer the games with distinct classes per character, since it prevents characters from essentially becoming carbon copies of each other in combat, but on the other hand some of my favorite progression systems (FFT, FFXIII, FFX-2, Bravely Default FFVIII, the last two just by sheer virtue of how broken some things are) are essentially just that, outside of stuff like Limit Breaks.

Labadal

They're honestly apples and oranges.

I want to say I prefer the games with distinct classes per character, since it prevents characters from essentially becoming carbon copies of each other in combat, but on the other hand some of my favorite progression systems (FFT, FFXIII, FFX-2, Bravely Default FFVIII, the last two just by sheer virtue of how broken some things are) are essentially just that, outside of stuff like Limit Breaks.

I usually also prefer set roles, but in most Final Fantasy games, most characters will hit like a truck anyway.

I liked FF IX for the fact that characters felt distinct, at least in the early and middle parts of the game.

The fun thing about games with class systems is the experimentation and finding the OP combinations on your own.

I do agree with your apples and oranges comment. They can both be fun in their own way.

Red Mage

you were lied to

I forget, was it Kefka or Ultros who traumatized you in your childhood? = P

Final Fantasy 1 cleared, yay.
Took me 20 hours and a lot of saving/resetting the PSX version, but in the end I have to say that it was a really good game.
Hopefully 2 is a bit more streamlined.

2 is basically a Saga game. A really, really bad Saga game, but a Saga game none the less. Don't worry too much about the fourth party member as they join, leave and join again throughout the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Leveling HP in 2 is WAY harder than I thought, since I usually kill everything in one turn.
Is there a way to not do anything during a turn so that the enemies can freely attack me?

Leveling HP in 2 is WAY harder than I thought, since I usually kill everything in one turn.
Is there a way to not do anything during a turn so that the enemies can freely attack me?

You could have your party members attack themselves with one person on cure duty or use nothing but buffs. The game is pretty forgiving for stat gains and you shouldn't need to grind anything save for a few situations.

Wazzy

Banned
You and me both, I'd love a FFVIII HD Remaster. As well as a VII and IX. I mean the art of FFIX looked amazing in that MamaRobotnik thread.

Ah that IX thread was great. The PSX trilogy really hit all the right notes with the soundtracks and art direction(IX personally could have been a little better on the character designs) and it's making me really want remakes.

I know IX would be a safe remake and VIII is debatable due to the fact they might make some bad changes but VII is the worst one because we know there will be negative changes to it and that sucks. A KH style or even cel-shaded FF VII remake would look amazing, not the nasty ass realistic look they gave the cast.

Also if VIII ever got a remake I need the character designs to look like their FMV appearance. I would die if they ruined them by having the designs look similar to AC.

Edit: If they can give these models but cleaned up a little bit more, that would be perfect(fuck you ps2 tech demo that gave me remake hopes back then :( )

ffviiips23.jpg

Almost done replaying FFVI, and man WoR is a huge drag. Forcing me to find my party members, retreading overly familiar ground plus a handful of new areas, and the high encounter rate throughout the game just kills it for me. Up till WoR, the game was alright, but for some reason it feels like such a chore for me after that. I do like the shift in focus from Terra to Celes though, since I'm not fond of the former.

Also, is there any way to not make Shadow inferior to everyone else? I like his character but his Throw damage with Shurikens just isn't particularly good, and I feel like the only thing he has going for him is his dodge rate, which I can't really rely on all the time.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, I recall one article that describes FFVI distilled to its essence -basically two different games. A first half with a very linear, traditionally JRPG narrative, and a second half which was essentially a WRPG-styled 'create-your-own-adventure'.

Probably explains why I didn't like the second half either. :(

You know, I recall one article that describes FFVI distilled to its essence -basically two different games. A first half with a very linear, traditionally JRPG narrative, and a second half which was essentially a WRPG-styled 'create-your-own-adventure'.

Probably explains why I didn't like the second half either. :(
Yeah, I guess in a sense WoR opens up the game, but feels a bit aimless since I prefer story-heavy experiences. The only WRPG I've played is Skyrim and I loathed it for its freedom and lack of focus on the narrative. Not to say that freedom's bad; it's just really not my thing.

Ah that IX thread was great. The PSX trilogy really hit all the right notes with the soundtracks and art direction(IX personally could have been a little better on the character designs) and it's making me really want remakes.

I know IX would be a safe remake and VIII is debatable due to the fact they might make some bad changes but VII is the worst one because we know there will be negative changes to it and that sucks. A KH style or even cel-shaded FF VII remake would look amazing, not the nasty ass realistic look they gave the cast.

Also if VIII ever got a remake I need the character designs to look like their FMV appearance. I would die if they ruined them by having the designs look similar to AC.

Edit: If they can give these models but cleaned up a little bit more, that would be perfect(fuck you ps2 tech demo that gave me remake hopes back then :( )

ffviiips23.jpg

Absolutely. I'm in agreement with you on the FFIX character designs. As much as I loved those characters, I didn't care much for Zidane's look, didn't scream thief too me. Would have preferred a more Locke-like look for a thief character.

A Final Fantasy VII HD remaster still boggles my mind as to what it would look like. I wouldn't mind if they just used the battle models as the field models.

That FFVIII tech demo was incredible, and that was only for the PS2. Imagine how amazing it would look on today's consoles.

On the topic of that tech demos, PS2 got a FFVIII tech demo. PS3 for a FFVII tech demo. Why no PS4 tech demo? Agni's Philosophy doesn't get my hopes up only to tear them down like the previous two did. I'm guessing the first footage of FFXV at E3 2013 was kinda the tech demo since all of that is being still being imported to the actual game engine.

Falk

that puzzling face
On the topic of that tech demos, PS2 got a FFVIII tech demo. PS3 for a FFVII tech demo. Why no PS4 tech demo?

Wanted to say it makes sense extrapolating that for a PS4 FFVI tech demo but FFVI tech demo sorta already kinda possibly maybe happened.

Almost done replaying FFVI, and man WoR is a huge drag. Forcing me to find my party members, retreading overly familiar ground plus a handful of new areas, and the high encounter rate throughout the game just kills it for me. Up till WoR, the game was alright, but for some reason it feels like such a chore for me after that. I do like the shift in focus from Terra to Celes though, since I'm not fond of the former.
This entire post, omg

in3z0d3VGspkY.gif

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, I was going to the castle in the beginning of FF2 and wandered one bridge too far west. A group of 3 Ogres basically stunlocked me with spells and the one attack I manged to do hit them for 0 hp. And this was after grinding stats for an hour!

aravuus

Is there a guide for when/how you unlock hunts in FF XII IZJS? I want to play it but I don't want to waste time going back to the guild house whatever and a bar every time something happens in the story.

jimmypython

I was playing through dragon age inquisition and realized the battle system perfectly matches what they described in XV: Hold attack for combo, preset skill combinations and block (this is actually a skill for warrior)....

and I am ok with it if XV will play like this.

Levyne

Banned
I actually do want to get to the PC release eventually. But I'm getting enough FF by playing the steam XIII releases as they come out.

No real interest in playing it on PS4, though.

Top Bottom