• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Falk

that puzzling face
say that to me when i finally snap and get xiii trilogy to 100% them again on steam

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is there any fix/patch to FFIV PC version to run higher than 15 fps, and does this same issue afflict FFIII?

No and Yes. Not a big deal with 3 since it's turn based, but I can understand why the frustration would be there for 4.

EDIT:

Also a heads up: Green Man Gaming is doing a sale for all of the Steam Final Fantasies. Ends Monday.

Falk

that puzzling face
lDIUD0R.jpg

NateDog

I'm 50 hours into Type-0 but am seriously sick to death of needing to grind after every mission. I've spent about the last 10 hours grinding so I can actually take on the combat missions available to me now after the Meroe one disappeared after the last mission and other quests disappeared. But it's actually driving me around the bend and I'm only at almost 40-42 with everyone after so many hours. Can someone give me some tips? Will any of the missions actually stay around this time?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm 50 hours into Type-0 but am seriously sick to death of needing to grind after every mission. I've spent about the last 10 hours grinding so I can actually take on the combat missions available to me now after the Meroe one disappeared after the last mission and other quests disappeared. But it's actually driving me around the bend and I'm only at almost 40-42 with everyone after so many hours. Can someone give me some tips? Will any of the missions actually stay around this time?
Weird. I think I cleared the story in about 40 hours and don't remember needing such excessive grinding. It was right after it was released, so I might be misremembering things. You can try using the special training when you're not playing, because it gives good xp iirc.

The high-level quests are meant for your second playthrough, in which pretty much everything gets carried over, IIRC. So don't bother with the ones that are like 10+ levels above your party. Quests will disappear after each chapter's designated time limit is up, so just make sure you get the ones that are reasonable to finish. Not a big deal if you miss some, since you can just do a New Game+. I don't think I ever grinded in Type-0 since I did two playthroughs.

The developers really should have either shuffled the quests around or made them not visible until your second playthrough. A lot of people complain that they see quests they can't do without insane amounts of grinding.

NateDog

The high-level quests are meant for your second playthrough, in which pretty much everything gets carried over, IIRC. So don't bother with the ones that are like 10+ levels above your party. Quests will disappear after each chapter's designated time limit is up, so just make sure you get the ones that are reasonable to finish. Not a big deal if you miss some, since you can just do a New Game+. I don't think I ever grinded in Type-0 since I did two playthroughs.

The developers really should have either shuffled the quests around or made them not visible until your second playthrough. A lot of people complain that they see quests they can't do without insane amounts of grinding.

Oh my god seriously? After all this damn time I never even knew. What a waste of so many hours. Thanks for the tips guys, I knew I should have come here way earlier than I did to ask but I just presumed things would just start working out sooner.

Yep. Without grinding, the extra quests are at the perfect level on your second playthrough.

At first. The later ones can get really difficult, even at the right level.

Anyone been to a Distant Worlds concert? I recently found out they're coming to Minnesota so I got some tickets. I'd be curious to see some impressions.

Falk

that puzzling face
Anyone been to a Distant Worlds concert? I recently found out they're coming to Minnesota so I got some tickets. I'd be curious to see some impressions.

Distant Worlds is a solid production, and Arnie knows what he's doing.

As it is a production that utilizes hired orchestras (as opposed to a travelling orchestra, which isn't financially viable nowadays) the performance varies greatly from show to show. Sometimes you get Royal Stockholm Philharmonic. Other times you get college kids. (literal, albeit music college) Uematsu-san or other guests attend some shows, but not others.

Repertoire spans the entire franchise though, which is both respectful to Uematsu's work as well as a treat for especially older fans.

Levyne

Banned
I saw the Atlanta symphony orchestra perform Distant Worlds here in town, and I thought it was great,! Though I don't have a great frame of reference having only seen the one show and only limited middle school / high school orchestral knowledge.

I definitely recommend going.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Still playing through FFII and yeah, I can see why it's so hated.
There's a way to rise stats super fast, right?
I don't mind having to attack myself that much, but having to use a buffing spell for 50-100 or even more times just to be sure that it'll HIT my own characters... Now that's a pain.
I also don't get why using healing spells outside battles doesn't rise MP/Magic, but rises the level of the spell, sigh.

I don't mind having to attack myself that much, but having to use a buffing spell for 50-100 or even more times just to be sure that it'll HIT my own characters... Now that's a pain.
I also don't get why using healing spells outside battles doesn't rise MP/Magic, but rises the level of the spell, sigh.

Out of curiosity, which version are you playing? I really don't like the Origins version in comparison to the Dawn of Souls version, which speeds up character progression quite a bit in that regard.

Labadal

I had stopped playing Final Fantasy: Type-0 because I upgraded PPSSPP and it made the game unplayable for me but I upgraded to yet another version and I don't have any issues now. Went to the crystarium to read every single entry I have unlocked to get up to speed again. It feels like at least one long ranged attacker is a must in every mission, and you're better of controlling them a lot of the time.

I forgot how much I like the music.

Beat 3 again, this time using a randomized loadout. I think that Viking is ridiculous and broken beyond belief.

How well do you think Dimensions would do on Steam with its business model intact?

I haven't played it, but I don't think it would have the same pull on Steam. If it was cheaper for each chapter and had cards tied to each chapter purchase, I could see it maybe happening then. The biggest enemy of the game (and all of the other 2D Final Fantasies) if it were to come to Steam is resolution. Sprites really don't scale well to higher resolutions like 3D models do.

Falk

that puzzling face
FFIII's story is as generic as you could get. It's got tropes like airships and chocobos and floating continents and summons and is entertaining on the go.

That's about it though. Job implementations, even in the remake, is pretty rudimentary.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
FFIII's story is as generic as you could get. It's got tropes like airships and chocobos and floating continents and summons and is entertaining on the go.

That's about it though. Job implementations, even in the remake, is pretty rudimentary.
I remember that I stopped playing the 3DS version when after grinding like hell and getting through one of the dungeons, the npc had maybe 2 lines of dialogue for me.

Can you do this from the start? Is FFIIIs story good?

Unfortunately no to both.

For the Jobs I used a RNG to determine a class from each crystal ala the Final Fantasy V Fiesta, but there are some exceptions. The first job must be a Red Mage or White Mage, since there are a couple parts that you must use White Magic for and I excluded the Onion Knight since it's not tied to a crystal. Until I get the character tied to a job, they are kept as Freelancers, which is kind of bad because they have bad stat growth and equipment. It's definitely not perfect since they jobs are handed out in batches about 10%, 40%, 60%, and 90% through the game which means you'd be stuck with a Freelancer for a while.

As for the story, it's okay. With the remake they tried to give each character a personality and they completely failed at it. With the exception of the first hour and the credits the protagonists have absolutely no personality. This is compounded with the fact that it was originally a Famicom game where the story wasn't at the forefront. The major twist of the Big Bad's motivations is especially silly
He was gifted mortality, so he wants to summon the darkness to stop time.

So why do I like this game? It's pretty short (20 hours worth) so it makes it pretty replayable, and I like how the job system works. Unlike Final Fantasy 5 and Tactics your job is stuck with the abilities it's given with. However, each job has a job level that determines the effectiveness of these abilities and the game rewards you for sticking with one job. For an example, the Viking has an ability called provoke, which makes an enemy aggro the Viking. At job level 1, it works about half the time and at job level 99, it works every time and even lowers the enemy's defenses. The game is also challenging enough that every formation feels viable, but you need to know what you're doing in order to succeed.

...I didn't intend to write this much, but I'd give it a recommend if you like the first Final Fantasy. I personally think 3 is among my top five of the numbered games, but I know that this game isn't for everyone.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just wanted to say that I'm 12 hours into playing through FFVI for the first time and having a great time. I've seen a couple speedruns of it so I know the general scenarios but nothing about actual boss strategies or common enemy encounters, much less optional areas (can't learn much from watching a speedrunner spam that Setzer slots move) I'm using info on the internet very sparingly. No maps or walkthroughs, just game mechanic questions like how Morph works and what vigor does.

My party is Terra (back row, black mage, in-battle healer), Edgar (back row, tool user, status spells), Cyan (front row, heavy damage dealer with sword techniques, has black belt and hyper wrist), and Sabin (back row, blitz user damage dealer with hero ring and earrings, out-of-battle healer)

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy shit, so essentially you got ff6 spoiled?

I feel for you man, that's like getting a christmas present and it's already unwrapped

Sub_Level

FFVI is more than 20 years old, so even minus watching a couple speedruns of course parts of it were spoiled for me but it still instills a grand sense of adventure and discovery. Learning the gameplay mechanics is the biggest surprise, these espers that teach your characters abilities are like the guardian forces in VIII. Cool to now know where the concept in the series came from.

Sub_Level

I might give V a shot, but I think III looks more appealing as far as job system games go. And I only got halfway through XII...

Sub_Level

Well like I said I may give it a shot. The job system is not that appealing to me because I just like certain characters to have certain jobs. If I play it I would probably try to keep a single job on certain characters for the whole game lol

Style

Banned
These last couple of days has been great as a Final Fantasy fan! The new FFXV trailer and the reveals of the FFXIV expansion content both looks amazing. 2015 is going to be a good year for Final Fantasy!

Sub_Level

On the floating continent now. About 16 hours in. Scan is actually pretty useful and I am surprised that Slow actually works on some bosses. Glad I bothered to experiment with these support spells.

Edgar's Drill and Terra's tier 2 spells do so much damage
chansub-global-emoticon-3a624954918104fe-19x27.png
Also don't care much about Shadow but did equip him with this weapon found earlier that randomly insta-kills enemies. It's pretty funny to see him one-shot behemoths and other high hp monsters.

Sub_Level

At first switching characters a lot annoyed me but I hafta say FFVI pulls off the whole ensemble cast thing pretty well. None of the characters are obnoxious, they all have their moments story-wise, and all of them are viable in battle given the right setup. Except for maybe Gau but I haven't taken the time to learn Gau so he is probably useful in some way too. I think I've used Gau for maybe 20 minutes (the whole cave and underwater scenario early on)

Ultratech

Beat 3 again, this time using a randomized loadout. I think that Viking is ridiculous and broken beyond belief.

Viking is VERY interesting to use on some bosses thanks to its Provoke.
Taunting + Defense Down on enemy is pretty awesome.

It basically boils down to repeating your actions over and over again.
Against stronger ranked enemies, your stats/levels can go up faster, but you eventually hit a wall and leveling stuff becomes tedious.

I might give V a shot, but I think III looks more appealing as far as job system games go. And I only got halfway through XII...

NOPE.

FFV still has the superior job system.

After re-watching the FFXV trailers, I've come to the conclusion my excitement mostly stems from the shiny graphics, and the riveting music (all hail Yoko Shimomura.) I'm hoping the gameplay will also be enjoyable. Can't really judge that since I've yet to get my hands on it. Really curious to see the demo impressions.

When it was Versus XIII, the gameplay looked more or less like Kingdom Hearts. Which I still would have wanted to play.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Gameplay Trailer

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
After re-watching the FFXV trailers, I've come to the conclusion my excitement mostly stems from the shiny graphics, and the riveting music (all hail Yoko Shimomura.) I'm hoping the gameplay will also be enjoyable. Can't really judge that since I've yet to get my hands on it. Really curious to see the demo impressions.

When it was Versus XIII, the gameplay looked more or less like Kingdom Hearts. Which I still would have wanted to play.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Gameplay Trailer

Well currently for me XV looks like a Smoke and Mirrors Roadtrip show. I'm reserving judgment on the final product. And if GILGAMESH is in it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking of Distant Worlds, they've got a Boston show lined up in April and they're using the Berklee Contemporary Symphony Orchestra again.

Kinda hilarious how Boston is like home ground for VGO which has been/is recording stuff for Final Fantasy and Arnie goes with Berklee for the second time in a row. :V

Well currently for me XV looks like a Smoke and Mirrors Roadtrip show. I'm reserving judgment on the final product. And if GILGAMESH is in it.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Honestly It looks like its gonna be way too scripted. But, yes, for as excited for the product as I am, I am cautious about my expectations. Like you, I will reserve my full judgement for the final product.

Gilgamesh will be a boss, who is after Noctis' plethora of swords.

15 is going to replace hallways with roads. Calling it now. Though that doesn't really bother me since a game being linear isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Top Bottom