• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Xux

Neither of those attempted as much naturalism as the Agni trailer - all of them used the standard S-E mannequins, with much less grounded fantasy aesthetic. If Agni's Philosophy were FFXVI, I'd prefer it if they used someone like Keiichi Okabe as the primary composer, though Hamauzu and Shimomura's styles could still definitely work in that context.
Pretty much this. He might (would, rather) be able to pull it off to a degree of success but there are people with a much bigger track record for the type of music that the setting calls for.

Of course, in situations like this it'd also rely heavily on his orchestrator. And Hamaguchi (FF8, etc) is long gone from vidya.
I guess so. That seems like a very specific nitpick, though. Honestly, if the game plays that realistically, I'd want it toned back to be more cartoony and fit a Uematsu score.

...Watching it again for the first time in a couple years, it still looks pretty amazing.

wmlk

I guess so. That seems like a very specific nitpick, though. Honestly, if the game plays that realistically, I'd want it toned back to be more cartoony and fit a Uematsu score.

...Watching it again for the first time in a couple years, it still looks pretty amazing.

Uematsu can pull of a grounded sound sometimes. Sounds of the City from The Last Story is a good example of this. Probably my favourite from that OST.

Yoshitaka Suzuki from MGS fame arranged nearly all of the music from the OST, so that's a reason why a lot of the tracks sound grounded.

aravuus

they should have made that a third option

Definitely, this is actually quite a lot of fun and makes me play the game completely differently than before. I'm 5 hours in and Wakka's got one strength sphere so far so he deals a stupidly low amount of damage, but he's got a TON of HP and his evasion is pretty high too so I just keep him around as a healer

Falk

that puzzling face
Bahahahah like his character design couldn't get more absurd than someone who throws a sports ball as a weapon.

AF80C57D7D7AD6B90D264CA2CA49B0145EF9AE37

So even though I bought 6 games this Winter Sale on Steam, I went ahead and played Final Fantasy 3 to completion again. I decided to have each slot randomized for a class for each crystal while keeping one (at random) after getting to a new crystal. So the line up for each crystal was...

Wind:
Monk, Thief, Black Mage, Red Mage

Fire:
Monk, Knight, Scholar, Geomancer

Water:
Monk, Knight, Evoker, Bard

Earth (ie the final party pictured above)
Monk, Knight, Evoker, Devout

Banzai

I'm doing a low-level FFVIII playthrough and am now at the end of disc 3. I have all the GFs, all rare cards and Lionheart. But suddenly all motivation to continue is gone. I did the freaking card queen quest (again) but the farming needed for everyone's best weapons is too much. It was fun breaking the game but it's not anymore.
So I guess I'll stop. I do have an unfinished IX save on my vita though...

NateDog

Bit of a random question but wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking for some Type-0 posters or printable art, primarily the Suzaku flag with the blood-red crimson background. I've looked at a few places (eBay, RedBubble, etc.) but can't find anything. Any ideas? Only official stuff I can find is the one on the Square store of Machina and Rem but I'm not a big fan of it.

a Question to the Final Fantasy 7 Experts

Right now im at CD2, and im trying to get the 4.Limit of Vincent.

-First i visited the cave of Lucrecia (with that cutscene, flashback)

-Then i fought 10 Battles with Vincent and went again to the cave --> i got his ultimate weapon and his 4.Limit Chaos

But if i go to limit, there is nothing on the 4.tier?

No Chaos that i can teach him......Why? Do i need to wait for CD3

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
a Question to the Final Fantasy 7 Experts

Right now im at CD2, and im trying to get the 4.Limit of Vincent.

-First i visited the cave of Lucrecia (with that cutscene, flashback)

-Then i fought 10 Battles with Vincent and went again to the cave --> i got his ultimate weapon and his 4.Limit Chaos

But if i go to limit, there is nothing on the 4.tier?

No Chaos that i can teach him......Why? Do i need to wait for CD3
You have to unlock all previous LBs for the 4th to appear.

Xux

Uematsu can pull of a grounded sound sometimes. Sounds of the City from The Last Story is a good example of this. Probably my favourite from that OST.

Yoshitaka Suzuki from MGS fame arranged nearly all of the music from the OST, so that's a reason why a lot of the tracks sound grounded.
That's a pretty good song. :D I need to play that game someday.

It reminded me a bit of the music that plays in Narshe and Under Her Control from FFVIII.

Bit of a random question but wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking for some Type-0 posters or printable art, primarily the Suzaku flag with the blood-red crimson background. I've looked at a few places (eBay, RedBubble, etc.) but can't find anything. Any ideas? Only official stuff I can find is the one on the Square store of Machina and Rem but I'm not a big fan of it.
Sorry I can't be of any help, but if you find something, please post it here!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFX:
It's such a damn good feeling when you beat Sanctuary Keeper, Spectral Keeper, and
Yunalesca
first time through without a guide.

When I was a kid I just spammed Aeon overdrives repeatedly and that easily did the trick on just about any boss that gave me trouble. Didn't want to play that way this time though. Using a party of Tidus - Auron - Yuna.

Tidus' Slice and Dice is nice. I of course use him for Hastega and his weapon/armor is equipped with Counterattack, Piercing, and Magic Counter. Auron has incredibly high strength stat so his Breaks (which many bosses have been immune to actually) and just plain old attack are good enough. With Yuna I did something a little differently and managed to get her both Holy and Ultima fairly early. That combined with half MP cost makes Holy at the very least a surprisingly practical spell to use despite the high casting cost. I know for the postgame you're generally supposed to have everyone doing 99999 but I think I can at least do the Omega Ruins bosses with my current party. Getting the optional Aeons first.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think Yunalesca is hard, just super non-standard. As long as you didn't go in super underlevelled you should be fine.

Of course, considering what a snoozefest FFX was up to that point outside of the 2nd Seymour battle, it did seem like a huge spike. FFX isn't hard as far as Final Fantasies or JRPGs go.

Speaking of FFX, I noticed there's an option to completely randomize the sphere locations in the grid in the save editor I found. Started with the expert grid and randomized the locations, the first 5 spheres Tidus for example can get are all either magic or mp ones lol

This is going to be great

FFX really should've had New Game+ retaining all of your equipment and keeping your grid/aeon customization (but making you actually activate the spheres again). And an optional much harder difficulty level. It's one of the best things about FFX-2.

Sub_Level

I don't think Yunalesca is hard, just super non-standard. As long as you didn't go in super underlevelled you should be fine.

Of course, considering what a snoozefest FFX was up to that point outside of the 2nd Seymour battle, it did seem like a huge spike. FFX isn't hard as far as Final Fantasies or JRPGs go.

I agree with you that it's not particularly hard.

So far for me FFVI is the easiest, while FFVIII was the easiest to exploit without even really trying.

Falk

that puzzling face
The game prior to X was IX which wasn't afraid of handing out the assbeating-on-a-plate as early as introducing Freya.

wmlk

sup

Liberi Fatali (PAX East 2014)

From last year. Rock band + string quartet + mini-choir. PAX East has always been an amazing venue for us to do stuff but this one really deserves the full orchestra treatment. Maybe one day!

Your choir gets the 'Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec' part right. Every other choir always, always messes it up.

Here's the rendition in Voices (best FF symphony ever, by the way) and they don't prolong the annunciation in this nor in DW.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Almost done with FF2, finally. Should be able to finish it today.
I hate the leveling system in this game, I really do. Mostly because killing enemies asap, even strong ones isn't an effective way to grind at all, which goes against everything I learned for the past 20 years of playing games.

Golnei

And yeah 'wecos' has always, ALWAYS bothered me ever since FF8 came out.

Considering it's not Latin in the first place, I'm not sure if the original pronounciation can strictly count as an error - though I guess it is intended to sound similar, so revising it does sound a lot better.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
In the end I beat FF2 yesterday. Halfway through the last dungeon I realized that if I don't open chest I won't have to fight with bosses other than the last one, and since the final boss is such a piece of cake with the
Blood Sword
method, I completely ignored the best equipment in the dungeon and just rushed through it.
Anyway, I hated the game, mostly for the leveling system, empty rooms, completely useless 4th party members and much more.

Now I'm playing the NES version of FF3 on the 3DS. Reading about how hard it is, I'm really happy for the quicksave feature.

Oemenia

Banned
Quick question. JRPGs are big time eaters with a big reason being that you cant generally save anywhere you want. FFXIII was a linear game and spaced out its saves well which was why I could play for about an hour (or less) and feel like I got something done. Simply said I don't have the time (but more so organisation skills) to set aside 2 hours in one go for games especially when I might not be able to stop playing whenever I want.

How does FFX compare in this sense, I hear its almost as linear (just with the occasional towns) but is it paced in a similar fashion to XIII?

wmlk

Quick question. JRPGs are big time eaters with a big reason being that you cant generally save anywhere you want. FFXIII was a linear game and spaced out its saves well which was why I could play for about an hour (or less) and feel like I got something done. Simply said I don't have the time (but more so organisation skills) to set aside 2 hours in one go for games especially when I might not be able to stop playing whenever I want.

How does FFX compare in this sense, I hear its almost as linear (just with the occasional towns) but is it paced in a similar fashion to XIII?

Random battles are extremely annoying, which FFXIII didn't have.

Besides that, I didn't feel that there was a problem with the pacing. I felt that FFX had big issues with the delivery of its plot but that's another thing entirely and YMMV.

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking of all of us old folks growing up and getting jobs/family/commitment/etc. frameskip/fast-forward and encounter rate sliders like Bravely Default should be baseline in every JRPG now.

Sub_Level

FFX is extremely linear like XIII but has more content packed in. More NPCs to talk to, sidequests to do, minigames to play, and chests to discover. It's a hallway, but a populated hallway.

The first few hours are the worst; you barely play the game at all, but once you get to around Luca the game gets more interesting. Difficulty-wise, I would say FFXIII may be more gripping but FFX offers more approaches to various solutions. You can absolutely play the game in 30 minute to 1 hour bursts because save points are everywhere, with a few relatively long dungeons (i.e. high encounter rate) in the second half of the game.

Squire

Banned
FFX still manages to get you to feel like you're inhabiting a world instead of a theme park attraction.

I'm still really impressed at how much optional dialogue is voiced for both party members and NPCs. It's a big part of how you learn about that world beyond the pretty well explained stuff that comes up during the story. In general, it's s stark contrast to FFXIII. FFX takes all the time it needs to really cement Spira as a believable place; XIII wants you to read wikis.

Oemenia

Banned
Oh okay, sounds good. Honestly I don't mind random encounters, the FF games since 6 have all been well-paced especially when compared to other JRPGs.

Sub_Level

I'm not playing this game right now, but is it possible to play FFXII and only level up 3 characters instead of making sure all 6 are levelled up?

Ultratech

Speaking of all of us old folks growing up and getting jobs/family/commitment/etc. frameskip/fast-forward and encounter rate sliders like Bravely Default should be baseline in every JRPG now.

I've just started playing it (I'm on like Chapter 2, I think?), and yeah, it's pretty nice to have.

Liking it so far.

Now I'm playing the NES version of FF3 on the 3DS. Reading about how hard it is, I'm really happy for the quicksave feature.

Nice!

I wouldn't really say it's hard, but it'll keep you on your toes.

Just keep in mind a fair number of jobs will be useless (or only useful for one fight).
(And building up Job Levels will make your guys stronger!)

CarJeter

Neo Member
I'm not playing this game right now, but is it possible to play FFXII and only level up 3 characters instead of making sure all 6 are levelled up?

Of course, I did that on my first playthrough :p

It has been a really long time since I played it but you can beat the story with just 3 characters. I even managed to cover almost all end-game content with just 3 characters but it is definitely easier if you have the other 3 as back up. Also, more variety to the party doesnt hurt since they are basically the same ability-wise and personally I didnt noticed huge differences in stats except for the obvious HP and magic niche :p

NateDog

Sorry I can't be of any help, but if you find something, please post it here!

I actually found it, although clearly I must have mis-remembered the flag from the game. You can buy the flag from a few places online, here's the cheapest I've found:

http://www.cosplayfantasy.com/ff-type-0-class-zero-suzaku-flag-final-fantasy-cosplay-p-511.html

Here's what it looks like:

This is the type of one I was thinking of, although I'm not sure how it would turn out if made. Still I'm tempted and will probably try to get this done first, although I'm not sure where to go:

Yes, you really don't have to use all six unless you want to fight the super bosses and do hunting missions. I rolled with the Ashe, Fran, and Penello most of the game without having to switch to the male characters unless I wanted to change things up.

On top of that there is very little difference between characters other than stats, what Espers you assign to them and their Quickening power levels since every character can max out the Licence Board. I've yet to play the Zodiac Job System version, where each character can be assigned specific Jobs, that would have helped each character felt more unique.

Sub_Level

Just finished FFX.

- Clocked in at about 45 hours.
- For sidequests I got Yojmbo, Anima, Magus Sisters, Tidus' Caladbold, Yuna's Nirvana, Auron's Masamune (all three powered up fully), and beat Omega Weapon (who has a lot more health in the HD remaster)
- Most tedious part of the game was capturing monsters for Auron's weapon.
- Hardest part of the game was getting 0.00 in that nightmarish Chcobo balloon obstacle course.

I really enjoyed it and loved the bittersweet ending. Omega Ruins and Inside Sin were made too easy because by that point I had Yuna's Nirvana + Doublecast + Ultima but I'd say a good portion of the game otherwise rode on the easy side of things but not too easy.

Meowster

I have played Final Fantasy VIII practically every single year since I was seven. Now my boyfriend is interested and told me he is going to join me and play it with me soon, really excited. I dunno why, the game has so many flaws that should make me hate it but it is one of the few games that have really "spoken" to me as an art form. We'll play IX afterwords since it has dat two-controller multiplayer.

He loved Kingdom Hearts and it's just so exciting to have someone play FF for the first time.. and he's a sucker for the sci-fi and magic elements so I think he'll really like VIII.

Banzai

... but I'd say a good portion of the game otherwise rode on the easy side of things but not too easy.

I have to say I always think of FFX as the hardest FF, mainly because all the other ones are even more pisseasy. At least X has a tough late-game, with a few tough mid-game bosses here and there. All that only applies if you don't abuse Aeons of course.

Glad you enjoyed it, though. It's my favorite.

Didn't want to bump the XV thread on the news side of GAF, but I was rewatching the Jump Festa trailer again and I just have to say that I really love the character modelling and visual identity of FF games. I avoid some games because I'm just not a fan of how their characters look, but FFXV's really impressed me with every character they've shown so far, and that includes the NPCs too. Regis, Cidney, and the white-robed guy facing Regis look amazing, to say nothing of the main 4 + Cor.

Sub_Level

With VI, VII, VIII, and X down I am now moving on to IX.

Not going to play X2. I appreciate what it does with respect to the battle system but I like the story ending just fine the way it did in X.

Have never played IX before or watched a full speedrun.

Turin

Banned
With VI, VII, VIII, and X down I am now moving on to IX.

Not going to play X2. I appreciate what it does with respect to the battle system but I like the story ending just fine the way it did in X.

Have never played IX before or watched a full speedrun.

Never played IX? Love yourself. Do it.

Top Bottom