• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After clearing the Cave of Bahamut and getting my party to lv 45 I think I should be able to finish FF3 today.
The 2d version of this game is so much better than that DS one.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is FFXII on the European or Japanese Playstation Store? I cant seem to find a comprehensive catalog.
The PS2 game? It available only on a PS2 disc.

Edit:
FF III cleared. Really fun game after the terrible II experience. Last part wasn't that hard after grinding for 2 hours before starting it.

Now to FF IV PSP. Tried it for a few minutea and I must say that I love how it looks.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
13 hours into IX. Its enjoyable. A good ways through disc 2.

No real complaints so far. I came in expecting to be disappointed since I am not a fan of medeival setting (I prefer sci fi or contemporary) but IX is really not the generic kind of medieval. It has pretty creative designs and even some steampunk elements.

The small body big head designs are not that bad either. Still prefer normal proportions but I can dig it and it helps the characters are pretty cool.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly the only reason that FFIX isn't in my top 3 (after VI and XIII, yeah laugh it up) is its abysmally slow combat speed. I can't really find any fault with visuals, music, setting, characters (Quina lol), plot exposition/pacing (lethargic combat unrelated obviously), and gameplay systems and minigames. Even if any of those aren't best-in-category for the franchise they kind of all come together to become more than the sum of its parts.

I think Hamaguchi's amazing orchestrations for the cutscenes was where I really woke up to the fact that orchestrals can totally work in a JRPG context, rather than my previous assumption that they were only good for:
- western games
- arranged albums
- pompous intro/ending sequences/credit rolls.

Turin

Banned
VII's my fave(don't hurt me) but I'd argue that IX might be the most complete Final Fantasy. I can't think of anything I didn't like about the game.

VII's my fave(don't hurt me) but I'd argue that IX might be the most complete Final Fantasy. I can't think of anything I didn't like about the game.

The only thing I didn't like about IX was the slow battle system (it is alleviated slightly by cranking up the ATB speed in configurations). It needs a Chrono Cross fast forward button. I read FFXII ZIJS also had a fast forward button.

Squire

Banned
IX is a Disney movie. It's aces.

Falk, I would love to know why XIII ranks so highly for you. I went back to it for a bit this past summer and came away feeling that its a deeply flawed game, but it does have things worth merit in places.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's a bit of a personal one actually.

Girlfriend (now fiancee) basically convinced me to get a PS3 and FFXIII. I'd avoided basically everything about everything with regards to the console generation and all I knew about the game going in was "femCloud lol" so I didn't really have any preconceptions.

I think honestly speaking, the game delivered what I was looking for at that point of time, flaws and all, which was a very tailored walk through a story (call it on rails or corridors if you want, that's an accurate description)

There's of course a demand and place for games that leave a lot more to player agency (Virtually every other JRPG ever, including FFX which may or may not have done a better job of player agency while being limited to a point-to-point 'overworld' map). I personally find too much agency boring as heck (Couldn't get into Fallout 3, played Skyrim and essentially hated myself for it) and I lean more towards linear-esque games like Uncharted. It may not scream Final Fantasy, and might not even scream JRPG, but I think I'm glad that the Final Fantasy franchise attempted/did what FFXIII did at least once.

Visuals were/are amazing, and the soundtrack was stellar, and motivated me to do a remix in what was possibly the lowest point of my life emotionally. And what do you know, one thing led to another and I'm now working with many of my childhood idols assisting them with quite a few of their musical projects. I remember getting very, VERY emotional during the final mixdown of some of Lightning Returns' cutscene music (Grand Finale and Vanille's ritual specifically, along with the ending cutscene, cheesy as it was)

Professional/personal bias aside, I think I'm also quite glad that the trilogy happened. As disjointed as each entry is, it's again something that the franchise had never attempted (or been forced to do, depending on your perspective) and it had the right amounts of Japanese lunacy sprinkled in that I don't think it got stale.

I'm not saying the games don't have fundamental flaws. I'm not saying Lightning may have overstayed her welcome and people are justified in wanting Square Enix to move on. I'm saying though that all that aside perhaps I'm also secretly enjoying the schadenfreude of the most diametrically opposed views try to convince each other that their opinion is objectively correct.

Turin

Banned
I prefer not to rag on XIII too hard. I know what it's like to love something a majority of others hate. In my case it's Assassin's Creed 3. -__-

flyover

Those are great reasons for your liking FF XIII, Falk. There's a lot to be said for being the exact right game at the right time.

Sub_Level

Just got Quina in the party in FFIX.

Seeing some parallels with X. Quina is like Kimahri (I know blue mages appeared in the earlier titles as well). Steiner is like Auron in that he uses Breaks and Zidane gets the Flee ability just like Tidus. Garnet the summoner asking for Vivi and Zidane to guard her as we make our way to the outer continent which is coincidentally to the north.

Squire

Banned
It's a bit of a personal one actually.

Girlfriend (now fiancee) basically convinced me to get a PS3 and FFXIII. I'd avoided basically everything about everything with regards to the console generation and all I knew about the game going in was "femCloud lol" so I didn't really have any preconceptions.

I think honestly speaking, the game delivered what I was looking for at that point of time, flaws and all, which was a very tailored walk through a story (call it on rails or corridors if you want, that's an accurate description)

There's of course a demand and place for games that leave a lot more to player agency (Virtually every other JRPG ever, including FFX which may or may not have done a better job of player agency while being limited to a point-to-point 'overworld' map). I personally find too much agency boring as heck (Couldn't get into Fallout 3, played Skyrim and essentially hated myself for it) and I lean more towards linear-esque games like Uncharted. It may not scream Final Fantasy, and might not even scream JRPG, but I think I'm glad that the Final Fantasy franchise attempted/did what FFXIII did at least once.

Visuals were/are amazing, and the soundtrack was stellar, and motivated me to do a remix in what was possibly the lowest point of my life emotionally. And what do you know, one thing led to another and I'm now working with many of my childhood idols assisting them with quite a few of their musical projects. I remember getting very, VERY emotional during the final mixdown of some of Lightning Returns' cutscene music (Grand Finale and Vanille's ritual specifically, along with the ending cutscene, cheesy as it was)

Professional/personal bias aside, I think I'm also quite glad that the trilogy happened. As disjointed as each entry is, it's again something that the franchise had never attempted (or been forced to do, depending on your perspective) and it had the right amounts of Japanese lunacy sprinkled in that I don't think it got stale.

I'm not saying the games don't have fundamental flaws. I'm not saying Lightning may have overstayed her welcome and people are justified in wanting Square Enix to move on. I'm saying though that all that aside perhaps I'm also secretly enjoying the schadenfreude of the most diametrically opposed views try to convince each other that their opinion is objectively correct.

Well put, Falk. Thanks for the reply. You have a good take on it and I can say our tastes sound like they're similair. Linearity has never been something I counted as a negative with XIII. I agree that X does what XIII does with navigation better and I'm a huge Uncharted fan myself. I played both Skyrim and New Vegas for 20 hours a piece and ultimately got bored as well. These days I realize I enjoy more focused, linear narratives in games. Those or games that sort of loosely implement plot so they can focus on characters and world-building instead. Because those things done well in and of themselves can make for an excellent story.
The OST is amazing. Probably my favorite from last generation and Hamauzu has been my favorite composer for years.

Just got Quina in the party in FFIX.

Seeing some parallels with X. Quina is like Kimahri (I know blue mages appeared in the earlier titles as well). Steiner is like Auron in that he uses Breaks and Zidane gets the Flee ability just like Tidus. Garnet the summoner asking for Vivi and Zidane to guard her as we make our way to the outer continent which is coincidentally to the north.

Quina is secretly one of the better party members until Disc 4. You'd do well in leveling Quina.

Sub_Level

On Disc 3 of IX now. 20+ hours in. I like the disc 2 characters introduced, but am still more fond overall of the disc 1 party members and feel like they were developed more (except for Eiko who receives a decent amount of backstory)

Came across 2 Friendly Monsters by chance. So much AP *_* I might just try my hand at Ozma after beating the main story.

ORIGA (time and spaaace vocals) passed away. :|

edit: GAF thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974303

44 is young.

On Disc 3 of IX now. 20+ hours in. I like the disc 2 characters introduced, but am still more fond overall of the disc 1 party members and feel like they were developed more (except for Eiko who receives a decent amount of backstory)

Came across 2 Friendly Monsters by chance. So much AP *_* I might just try my hand at Ozma after beating the main story.

44 is young.

Very nice.

If you continuing with the Friendly Monster side quest helps when you fight Ozma. I didn't know that when I battled it. Would have been helpful to know.

Sub_Level

Is there a use for the expensive auction items in FFIX? I spent like 30000+ gil but they are classified as Key items...

Spot

Can someone please give me a brief overview over the Publicity sidequest in Final Fantasy X-2?
Trying to 100% the game and have no idea what to do.

Can someone please give me a brief overview over the Publicity sidequest in Final Fantasy X-2?
Trying to 100% the game and have no idea what to do.

GameFAQs and YouTube videos will be your best friend if you are trying to 100% FFX-2. Especially if you are going for it in on your first playthrough.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not possible to 100% X-2 in one playthrough without a guide. Heck, it's near impossible to 100% X-2 in two playthroughs with the extra ~10% from going the other faction in the "turn over the sphere to ____" chapter, without a guide.

People who did it when the game first came out used the official guide for it (which is the basis for a lot of the online guides along with refinements like switching order of completion around to hit more X.0% instances to keep track of progress), and even then there was some factual contention.

Falk

that puzzling face
cidney_by_inushio-d8een6s.png

That was fast.

Sub_Level

30 hours into FFIX. It's really enjoyable now, except for that minigame involving a certain frog where you press circle. It's not hard, but it pissed me off. Finally got the airship, so the world map is my oyster now. Still haven't consulted a walkthrough and don't plan to until I finish the main story but I will try to do some sidequests on my own.

Y'all need to check out these fan arts right here. They're all spectacular.

http://home.eyesonff.com/content.ph...inal-Fantasy-Fan-Art-Showcase-of-the-Week-104

Those are fantastic. My favorite is the 7th Heaven ad.

I actually found it, although clearly I must have mis-remembered the flag from the game. You can buy the flag from a few places online, here's the cheapest I've found:

http://www.cosplayfantasy.com/ff-type-0-class-zero-suzaku-flag-final-fantasy-cosplay-p-511.html

Here's what it looks like:

This is the type of one I was thinking of, although I'm not sure how it would turn out if made. Still I'm tempted and will probably try to get this done first, although I'm not sure where to go:
Whoa, I missed this when you posted it. This is cool! But I see what you mean about the flag with the darker crimson color and metallic look to the suzaku seal.

Still, I'll look into getting this flag you linked. Thanks for posting it!

30 hours into FFIX. It's really enjoyable now, except for that minigame involving a certain frog where you press circle. It's not hard, but it pissed me off. Finally got the airship, so the world map is my oyster now. Still haven't consulted a walkthrough and don't plan to until I finish the main story but I will try to do some sidequests on my own.

Those are fantastic. My favorite is the 7th Heaven ad.

Yeah, they're dope. I'm glad you're enjoying IX. If you're trying to 100% in it on your first time you'll need a guide, actually no going by your post it's impossible to considering you have be at around 12 hours in to get Excalibur II, but I never bothered to get it since it makes the game less fun and Steiner can do plenty of damage without it by the end of the game. Outside of Excalibur II there is one quest you can't complete if you wait until the end of the game.

Sub_Level

I was in a boss fight where the game forced me to use Quina and his bad breath blue magic actually worked against it.

Multiple negative status ailments on a boss. In a FF game. I was surprised.

Sub_Level

Tidus has successfully dodged 736 bolts total.. and 198 consecutive bolts.

Do I have the worst luck ever or...?

I was so angry spending an hour getting 0.00 on that godforsaken chocobo race that I don't even want to think about how you feel with the lightning dodging when you come that close.

Meowster

I was so angry spending an hour getting 0.00 on that godforsaken chocobo race that I don't even want to think about how you feel with the lightning dodging when you come that close.
Tidus has successfully dodged 1107 bolts total.. and 199 consecutive bolts.

This piece of shit game/achievement. I somehow think this was a conscious decision by Motomu Toriyama, know he has a fondness for doing wacky and ridiculous things.

Top Bottom