• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

On the contrary, I'd prefer the remake of Final Fantasy VII to give coherence to the entire Compilation of FFVII. And that means introducing Genesis in some way from FFVII, Cisnei ecc. - that would be the only chance given to cover some plot holes the sequels and prequels took with them.
I will accept them being mentioned after the credits...notifying me that they are dead.
They're going to force Genesis on you and you will like it!

NO! I would rather have 100 Poochies than one Genesis!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They can always send Genesis back to his home planet at the end. Sephiroth could use Supernova on him.

Speaking of which, Safer Sephiroth's version of Supernova was awesome. I loved it.

e1vzq.png

It's just too bad it uses γ rather than λ... and also calculates the asteroid as the area of a circle rather than being a three-dimensional object. Points for the celestial spheres/Seven Heavens diagram, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think FF9's summons aren't lengthy and amazing because it seemed to have followed in the footsteps of the older games with less style and more substance. FFVIII wins for having the coolest summons (but that's probably by default). Like Doomtrain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtgafCCBkM.

Eden would be cool (and it is cool since it breaks the damage limit with an easy 250 boost), but it's soooo long. I guess it was FF8's answer to Knights of the Round.

Gravijah

I think FF9's summons aren't lengthy and amazing because it seemed to have followed in the footsteps of the older games with less style and more substance. FFVIII wins for having the coolest summons (but that's probably by default). Like Doomtrain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtgafCCBkM.

Eden would be cool (and it is cool since it breaks the damage limit with an easy 250 boost), but it's soooo long. I guess it was FF8's answer to Knights of the Round.

i can kinda sorta forgive it because of how amazing the story related Eidolon cutscenes are. those are some amazing cutscenes.

also obligatory XII summons are amazing and Zodiark is king.

BlackJace

How do you all feel about Dissidia (012 as well)?

For me. I freaking love it. To this day, I've put in 256 hours, I'm still finding things to do.
It's definitely my favorite spin-off of a franchise ever, and one of my favorite games of all time :)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
How do you all feel about Dissidia (012 as well)?

For me. I freaking love it. To this day, I've put in 256 hours, I'm still finding things to do.
It's definitely my favorite spin-off of a franchise ever, and one of my favorite games of all time :)

I love it too, I think all the love the makers had for Final Fantasy series is pretty clear through it. A perfect execution of a so-called letter to the fans in celebration to the Final Fantasy anniversary. I mean, it's packed with content reminiscent of tons of games in the series, and not just that, is also extremely cool to play and pretty original for a fightning game. I really hope we get the chance to see a new Dissidia some day on 3DS or VITA, especially because the formula is perfect for frequent re-releases just by expanding character's roster.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think Dissidia's okay. I play both games a lot when they first came out, but I just didn't have the patience to keep playing and levelling people up. It's pure fanservice in the right way. And we get some Ishimoto arrangements out of it. I don't care for the story, but it's pretty cool to play with movesets.

Zidane's one of my favourite characters to use. Speed and aerials are my favourite battle styles in almost any game. Don't mind that some of his stuff was nerfed in Dissidia Duodecim. It took me a while to warm up to him because I thought I was going to use Terra all the time. Squall, Laguna, and Yuna are also fun to use. Laguna's fun when he's in the right arena, though.

I don't like using Cecil much, tbh. Kain was interesting to play as for a while, but I don't like his EX Modes or Bursts or how slow he is.

We need Final Fantasy Generations now.

Zidane's one of my favourite characters to use. Speed and aerials are my favourite battle styles in almost any game. Don't mind that some of his stuff was nerfed in Dissidia Duodecim. It took me a while to warm up to him because I thought I was going to use Terra all the time. Squall, Laguna, and Yuna are also fun to use. Laguna's fun when he's in the right arena, though.

I don't like using Cecil much, tbh. Kain was interesting to play as for a while, but I don't like his EX Modes or Bursts or how slow he is.

We need Final Fantasy Generations now.

The jump reset nerf was the thing that hurt Zidane the most. But then they threw in assists, and now everybody is overpowered lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The jump reset nerf was the thing that hurt Zidane the most. But then they threw in assists, and now everybody is overpowered lol.
Assists are, like, the best and worst things about Dissidia. They're good things because they add variety and makes combos lengthier. They're a bad thing because EX Mode gets shafted for it. Wait, on that note, Gabranth's pretty cool.

Plus Exdeath has Omniblock and all. People seem to love using him.

speakin' of music...

dissidia arrangements > 012 arrangements. i'm just not a big fan of the 012 arrangements.
The Dissidia soundtracks actually make me feel like Ishimoto should just compose his own stuff since he'll have better samples to pick from. The original tracks on Dissidia Duodecim's soundtrack are probably proof of that.

I think that the arrangement of Dissidia's theme in the 012 trailer was better than the original's. I like the arrangements of Blinded by Light and Esper Battle in Duodecim as well (but that was Suzuki, I think). I think it's neat. Themes like "Lux Concordiae", "Troops", "Canto Mortis", "Cantata Mortis & God in Fire" and "Carmen Lucis" are all great themes (some of which are arrangements of the Dissidia theme) in general, and are also well-composed. The Ending Theme is also pretty awesome.

With regards to the original Dissidia. I'm glad they got rid of the Your Favourite Enemies stuff. Those songs were complete yawners. Some of the battle themes Ishimoto arranged in the original Dissidia were synth I wasn't impressed with at all (ex: Battle 2 from FFIV, Main Theme of FFI/FFII/FFIV, Tina, etc.). A lot of the non-battle themes were pretty underwhelming as well. The original themes range from okay to pretty good. Some of themes are very repetitive (ex: Dissidia -menu-). "Battle Scene II" from FFII had a pretty good arrangement, though. The first Dissidia is in dire, dire need of better synth sam... ples... Gravijah's going to hit me now. >.>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i'm leaving.

forever.
:(

Can't we agree that FFVII's soundtrack is good and I don't mind the synths as much as I do FFVIII's? Though I think that's because I played the PC version first, and ended up being wowed by the PS1 version's music since it sounded so natural.

Like...
Still More Fighting (PC Version) vs Still More Fighting (PSX ver)
Opening~Bombing Version (PC Version) vs PSX version
It's Difficult to Stand on Both Feet (PC Ver) vs PSX Version
J-E-N-O-V-A (PC Version) (this theme does not need those trills) vs PSX Version

The PC version is pretty bad... outside of the percussion.

jaxword

Prototype Tidus is the only one whom I'd take over the other two (whose designs were much, much better in FFX proper). Just change the colour scheme to the regular Zanarkand kit from FFX and he'll be okay.

FFX Yuna is one of my favourite character designs.

Not to mention that she knew Vincent's father and felt guilty about him dying or some nonsense. I think that was the reason they put forth for her to distance herself away from Vincent?

What kind of name is Grimoire Valentine, anyway? He's not a book or voiced by Liam O'Brien...

Dirge simply seemed like their own way to make Vincent Cloud's foil, I guess.

It should be noted that the characteristics of Proto-Tidus, Yuna and Auron seem to have evolved into Vaan, Ashe, and Balthier. Look at how the body language looks more like the FF12 cast.

As for Vincent's father, I didn't mind that, it added more to why Lucretia was obsessed with Vincent: She never loved him and never did, but rather felt guilty about what happened to Vinny. She was just a MESSED UP person, rather than some lovestruck idiot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
sigh.

ALRIGHT.

how about the synths in ahead on our way?
They're fine, they're fine, haha. Kalm theme is good.

Here's the PC version to compare.

jaxword said:
It should be noted that the characteristics of Proto-Tidus, Yuna and Auron seem to have evolved into Vaan, Ashe, and Balthier. Look at how the body language looks more like the FF12 cast.

As for Vincent's father, I didn't mind that, it added more to why Lucretia was obsessed with Vincent: She never loved him and never did, but rather felt guilty about what happened to Vinny. She was just a MESSED UP person, rather than some lovestruck idiot.
Lucretia had a severe guilt complex (and you really can't blame her since she has visions of what Sephiroth does in the future), and it seems like it rubbed off on Vincent, lol.

Huh, didn't notice that about the prototype cast... good observation.

Random: Why do the online FFs (the only ones I don't play) have the best/most attractive Cid designs? It's not fair.

(I just saw FFXIV's Cid.)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
By the way, speaking of the FF7 remake, if people JUST wanted graphical/music/presentation updates but the story left the same, it'd probably look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKiEcNrg5U&feature=relmfu

This? Yeah maybe if we were in 1999 and some indie dev. was taking care of it. Lol. Let's put it this way, if they're going to make a remake on 3DS, I'd expect at least Crisis Core's level of graphics with some nice shaders added to it. If they're going to do it on PS3, then FF13-level of graphics should be the one to expect (sort like the FF7 Tech Demo).

So I'm about 3 hours into my first ever playthrough of FFVII and I have a question, does it ever get difficult or does the combat get more robust?
I'm really enjoying the story, the graphics, the atmosphere, and especially the music, but so far battling has just been mashing O or whatever and letting the game pretty much handle itself save from the few times I've needed to heal. And what's the deal with Limit Breakers? Doesn't seem like they take much strategy to use when the second you get one you have to use it as opposed to just using a normal attack.

Am I missing something? I must be...

greyshark

So I'm about 3 hours into my first ever playthrough of FFVII and I have a question, does it ever get difficult or does the combat get more robust?
I'm really enjoying the story, the graphics, the atmosphere, and especially the music, but so far battling has just been mashing O or whatever and letting the game pretty much handle itself save from the few times I've needed to heal. And what's the deal with Limit Breakers? Doesn't seem like they take much strategy to use when the second you get one you have to use it as opposed to just using a normal attack.

There's quite a bit you can do with the materia system, but it takes a bit of time before you get some of the more interesting combinations available to you. As for the difficulty, FF7 is a pretty easy game overall. There are only a handful of enemies you'll encounter that will give you much trouble at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

First of all, congrats~ It's a very fun game. Second, I never found FFVII to be that difficult, so you're fine. When you take on the optional Weapons, there's at least some degree of strategy there.

When you fight solo, maybe then it can get hard (particularly during the Wutai Pagoda sidequest), but it depends on your materia setup in general and the character's level. There are some enemies require some strategy (ex: one side uses magic, the other uses physicals; one head uses fire and is weak to ice, the other is the opposite, etc). There's one part of FFVII where you go into an arena and get handicaps every time you progress through a stage (ex: status effect, level decreases by 5/10, strength down, etc). But you can generally get away with fighting physically. That's the general case in Final Fantasy, I've noticed. Later games sort of refine it in a way where you do have to modify your attacking pace and what skills you use. Perhaps going in underlevelled or going through low-level runs might be more enticing for you.

When I play FFVII, I never ever use Magic or Summon materia because I just don't see the point half the time unless I need it against a boss who's weak vs something, and the animation speeds aren't that quick. I mostly use Command/Independent/Support Materia. Even sometimes I don't equip the Independent materia unless I want a stat up quickly. Enemy Skill materia is my favourite materia in the entire game. You can probably drop the buffing materia, magic materia, and summon materia if you feel like you're too strong.

Limit Breaks are more like supers you can use to take a ton of HP down quickly. They're more helpful when you're handicapped in the Arena or something.

Random: Why do the online FFs (the only ones I don't play) have the best/most attractive Cid designs? It's not fair.

(I just saw FFXIV's Cid.)
I think it's because Cid's traditionally designed as an older engineer who sometimes serves as comic relief by being overly snarky or behaving, well, senile.

(Wait, FFVII's Cid was bad? FFXIII's Cid wasn't bad, either!) What does FFXIV Cid look like?

Fake Edit: Ooh.

This? Yeah maybe if we were in 1999 and some indie dev. was taking care of it. Lol. Let's put it this way, if they're going to make a remake on 3DS, I'd expect at least Crisis Core's level of graphics with some nice shaders added to it. If they're going to do it on PS3, then FF13-level of graphics should be the one to expect (sort like the FF7 Tech Demo).
From a business/technical standpoint, I kinda agree. People might not want the battle characters in the prerendered backgrounds because it might not look great to them. I think people do expect Advent Children or FFXIII-quality out of a theoretical FF7R.

But at the same time, I looooove the prerendered backgrounds from the previous FFs, as discussed earlier in the thread. They're so nice to look at.

Psxphile

MEANWHILE, AT SQUARE-ENIX...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the quick responses!
On the same side, though, if you're using physicals and feel like you're too strong, give everyone a crapton of Magic and Summon materia but don't use them. Always look at how the materia are affecting your stats. If you can handicap your stats by equipping materia and increasing difficulty that way, you might have a better go at it.

FFVII's artificial difficulty on behalf of the player's decisions comes from what the player decides to equip in terms of defense, weapon, and materia.

But since it's your first time, if you're getting a lot out of the story, music, characters, etc., maybe try to enjoy it for that and worry about crazy customization and handicaps later on.

I think it's because Cid's traditionally designed as an older engineer who sometimes serves as comic relief by being overly snarky or behaving, well, senile.

(Wait, FFVII's Cid was bad? FFXIII's Cid wasn't bad, either!) What does FFXIV Cid look like?

Fake Edit: Ooh.
I actually like most of the Cids. But the Cids from XI and XIV are like, hot and awesome. Their designs are wasted in games that you can't use them IMO. Hopefully they'll get some spin-off action.

Come to think of it, my next two favorite Cids (II & XIII) aren't playable either. :/

ferr

Have they said anything about FF Dimensions being released episodically here or are they just releasing one app with all of the episodes in it?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think for design FFXIII Cid is favourite.
You just think he's cute. ;P

Ah, I'm just pulling your leg. I really liked FFXIII Cid when he was announced. I thought he was going to be playable and that there may have been a bigger story element between him and any of the party members (tbh, since he was a soldier, I thought he'd have more of a connection to Lightning like she knew of him due to being part of the military or something). But alas, that wasn't meant to be.

I actually like most of the Cids. But the Cids from XI and XIV are like, hot and awesome. Their designs are wasted in games that you can't use them IMO. Hopefully they'll get some spin-off action.

Come to think of it, my next two favorite Cids (II & XIII) aren't playable either. :/
They exist as eye-candy. Probably because the main characters (if male) have to be attractive in a sense and need to stand out? Kinda odd that FFXIV Cid is quite nice to look at, though.

I really like the story and design of Final Fantasy XII's Cid!

His voice actor is really amazing.
Most of the VAs in FFXII had wonderful, wonderful direction. Gideon Emery did a wonderful job with Balthier, for example.

Have they said anything about FF Dimensions being released episodically here or are they just releasing one app with all of the episodes in it?
They never said, actually, not even on the official site.

Wonder if it'll be like WiiWare and they'll give you a few episodes every few months?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Best version of Warrior of Light in Dissidia is this. This is also acceptable.

Though, most of my favourite FF designs come from FFVIII (specifically Rinoa (especially her), Quistis, and Laguna). FFX Yuna, some of the FFIII designs, and some of the FFII designs are also really great.

The Amano art from III is really good and has lots of nice colours:

Noi

Oh hey that so happens to be the outfit I use in Dissidia I've always had a soft spot for his DLC outfit. SO MUCH HAIR. But I love WoL in all of his forms, really.

My favorite FF designs are... pretty much every fully armored villain. Granted, it shows how good the character design is PERIOD when all their unarmored designs are badass.

(XII spoiler on that last one, I guess.)

frequency

You just think he's cute. ;P

Ah, I'm just pulling your leg. I really liked FFXIII Cid when he was announced. I thought he was going to be playable and that there may have been a bigger story element between him and any of the party members (tbh, since he was a soldier, I thought he'd have more of a connection to Lightning like she knew of him due to being part of the military or something). But alas, that wasn't meant to be.

FFXIII has a few characters like that. Pictures and information from before release made me think they would be bigger characters but they weren't. It makes me think maybe characters like Cid and Jihl were supposed to have more screen time but were cut because of the development troubles the game had.

But I was talking only about visual design! FFXIII Cid has nice... clothes.
I think if considering all things, FFVII has best Cid. In main series Final Fantasy, I think FFVII and FFIV are the only games where Cid is playable character?

Esura

Banned
FFXIII has a few characters like that. Pictures and information from before release made me think they would be bigger characters but they weren't. It makes me think maybe characters like Cid and Jihl were supposed to have more screen time but were cut because of the development troubles the game had.

But I was talking only about visual design! FFXIII Cid has nice... clothes.
I think if considering all things, FFVII has best Cid. In main series Final Fantasy, I think FFVII and FFIV are the only games where Cid is playable character?
Yup.

Btw where did your avatar come from? Looks coolsome.

linko9

I been playing a lot of Theatrhythm, and now I want to replay 3, because I played the Famicom version quite a long time ago. I have a hankering to just replay that FC version, but I'm wondering if I should pick up the DS remake instead. Is it especially good or bad?

Mario007

Speaking of Cids, first mainline game not to use a Cid was FFXIII-2...it's strange no one actually pointed that out (it was pretty disappointing because they could have added a Cid in there)

Sallokin

Speaking of Cids, first mainline game not to use a Cid was FFXIII-2...it's strange no one actually pointed that out (it was pretty disappointing because they could have added a Cid in there)

I didn't even realize this. Maybe they felt the could skate by because technically there was a Cid in the first game. Still, I think you're right. They could have added something.

Mario007

I didn't even realize this. Maybe they felt the could skate by because technically there was a Cid in the first game. Still, I think you're right. They could have added something.

Yeah, plus with all the time-travelling, paradoxes and small 10 second cameos they honestly could have put even the old Cid in. Also he would have been a pretty cool Coliseum boss (instead of Nabaat).

FFXIII-2 is considered mainline?

I always excluded FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 as main series games.

I would consider it mainline, more so than FFX-2 actually. It very strongly builds on the events of the first game and develops the FNC mythology.

Top Bottom