• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

frequency

I feel FFX-2 also connection FFX. And many FFVII spin off game is very much connected FFVII. But I do not consider any as main series.

Main series to me is only number. No sequel or spin off.

I also think expecting Cid in sequel Final Fantasy is not good. That will mean always need to be careful using Cid in main game in case there is sequel. No Cid ever can die then!

But is only my feeling and I am stupid so...

Noi

I also think expecting Cid in sequel Final Fantasy is not good. That will mean always need to be careful using Cid in main game in case there is sequel. No Cid ever can die then!

But is only my feeling and I am stupid so...

Nah, not stupid at all. I think it would have been weird to have a new Cid in XIII-2, though I do wish that Raynes was at least mentioned in some manner.

I didn't even realize this. Maybe they felt the could skate by because technically there was a Cid in the first game. Still, I think you're right. They could have added something.

Well, Cid of the Lufaine didn't exist with the first game. Text mentioning him was added to later versions of FF1, and it wasn't until Dissidia that we actually learn more about the actual character. That's a different case than having that series Cid get killed.

Rubeus

SPOILER WARNING.....

If you read the Fabula Nova Crystallis background story, you probably know this:

Bhunivelze created Pulse, Etro and Lindzei for the moral world. So far we've seen Bhunivelze, Pulse and Etro in the first two games, but Lindzei is basically absent.

In FFXIII-3, the story will be on the last goddess Lindzei - the goddess of creation. She was the creator of fal'Cies and Cocoon in the first place.

At the end of FFXIII-2, the world was destroyed. In FFXIII-3, the story will be on creation and resurrection. Lindzei will return once again, resurrect characters from their deaths and re-create the worlds that have been destroyed.

Therefore whoever didn't make it at the end of FFXIII-2, Lindzei can bring them back since she is the goddess of creation. This time Lightning probably becomes the front woman of Lindzei and take on the task to restore the world and people.

The game may have some sort of Dark Cloud or ActRaiser elements, allowing you to create and shape the world to whatever way you like.

Since it is all about creation, the game probably will have a character creation system like in White Knight Chronicles, for you to make your own character and customize the appearances. (Would be nice to clone Aerith in this game)

Background story of Fabula Nova Crystallis:

Within the Visible World, Bhunivelze created the first three fal'Cie: Pulse, Etro, and Lindzei. Giving no power to Etro due to her unintended resemblance to Mwynn, Bhunivelze gave Pulse the task of terraforming the world so the doorway to the Unseen World could be found, while Lindzei was serving as the god's protector as he enters a deep rest until the time comes for him to awaken once Pulse succeeds. However, fueled by their Focuses, Pulse created the fal'Cie of Gran Pulse, while Lindzei fashioned the fal'Cie that would create and rule Cocoon, a floating continent built to house humanity as a paradise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabula_Nova_Crystallis_Final_Fantasy

dokish

Banned
Does anyone actually give a shit about the FNC saga? I mean honestly captivated by it?

I think the game should focus more on the characters then in mythology (or whatever) bullshit. Just take FFX for example. The plot is simple, but engaging. But what really shines is the character development. Chasing Sin was a big "trip with friends". I had so much fun gettin to know Wakka, Auron, Riku, Tidus, Yuna, etc.

S-E should stop the "mamoru the world" bullshit and focus on the PEOPLE.

Seda

I think the game should focus more on the characters then in mythology (or whatever) bullshit. Just take FFX for example. The plot is simple, but engaging. But what really shines is the character development. Chasing Sin was a big "trip with friends". I had so much fun gettin to know Wakka, Auron, Riku, Tidus, Yuna, etc.

S-E should stop the "mamoru the world" bullshit and focus on the PEOPLE.

The XIII games thmeselves, outside of the journal stuff, keeps most of the information about the goddess' and the mythology in the background, which I think is weird.

Seda

I beat Final Fantasy IX again last night...I think this was my 4th time.

Overall, the game is still one of my favorites, but man some of the dialogue in the game is baaad. Ending is as great as ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
See? The benefits of trying to persuade you to finish off FFIX paid off handsomely. :p

I personally like the soundtrack a lot, even if it had one motif in multiple tracks.

Does anyone actually give a shit about the FNC saga? I mean honestly captivated by it?
I don't care anymore, tbh. Don't care about the XIII cast much outside of Noel either.

Oh hey that so happens to be the outfit I use in Dissidia I've always had a soft spot for his DLC outfit. SO MUCH HAIR. But I love WoL in all of his forms, really.

My favorite FF designs are... pretty much every fully armored villain. Granted, it shows how good the character design is PERIOD when all their unarmored designs are badass.

(XII spoiler on that last one, I guess.)
I like that WoL design because it kind of reminds me of NuMaxim. While I like Maxim's older design, I don't think his new design is awful, but I'm mostly referring to the hair when I say that.

And yeah, I like a lot of the armoured designs too. Even if it's nice to take a page from modernity, going back to some nice armour is quite appealing.

jaxword

God, I want to play FFXIII-2 so badly but can't afford to buy it this term, tuition destroyed me.

I can't read half the FF threads on the internet anymore because they inevitably spoil it.

:(

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
XIII-2 made me more interested in it actually.

The only thing I really didn't like about they way the handled the universe and characters of XIII involves Lightning (other than the fact that XIII and XIII-2 are barely connected at all). She's so bland in XIII-2 goddamn, I can't even imagine a XIII-3 starring her as the main protagonist, it'll be so fucking boring.
Noel or a new protagonist please.

frequency

Yes.

FFXIII-2 game play I do not like but is still great story and I feel had two of strongest written protagonists in anything. Especially Noel.
FFX-2 and FFVII spin offs and FFIV After Years made me think "I do not want sequels for Final Fantasy", but FFXIII-2 changed my mind. I can not wait for FFXIII-3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only thing I really didn't like about they way the handled the universe and characters of XIII involves Lightning (other than the fact that XIII and XIII-2 are barely connected at all). She's so bland in XIII-2 goddamn, I can't even imagine a XIII-3 starring her as the main protagonist, it'll be so fucking boring.
Noel or a new protagonist please.
She was always bland to me, even in FFXIII; but to be fair, I never really liked her, even if I guess she was supposed to be the character I related to the most?

Noel was a pretty darn good protagonist, but let's not spoil jaxword. :p

And imo, FFX-2 is one of the best games in the series. >.>

frequency

I think game play is good for FFX-2 (except some things like massage mini game). But I loved FFX characters and story and FFX-2 did much to ruin it for me. I am still trying to forget things so I can enjoy FFX again.

Yuna was one of my favourite designs but now whenever I see her I think FFX-2 version...

Aeana

I don't think FF10-2's events "ruin" FF10 at all. FF10-2 is an interesting scenario that isn't often explored in RPGs. It's about how people who have been under the constant threat of Sin for their entire life struggle to find their place in a new world of freedom. Lots of "sacred" things from FF10 are trampled, but it's part of the process. As events go on, people begin to find their place, but it's quite a struggle for everyone.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My favorite FFs are 9 ,1, 13/13-2, 6 and then 4

I feel like that's the weirdest fucking list ever but yes FF1 is my second favorite FF

frequency

I don't think FF10-2's events "ruin" FF10 at all. FF10-2 is an interesting scenario that isn't often explored in RPGs. It's about how people who have been under the constant threat of Sin for their entire life struggle to find their place in a new world of freedom. Lots of "scared" things from FF10 are trampled, but it's part of the process. As events go on, people begin to find their place, but it's quite a struggle for everyone.

I can understand that opinion and think is a strong point. I guess "not for me" is really all I can say.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The fact that politics were touched on (albeit very lightly) in FFX-2's story appealed to me. There is still a small amount of political turmoil in Spira because everyone's free to believe what they want but they need some guidance. You have two factions at each other's throats, and one neutral faction stuck in the middle. There's a dichotomy between the two leading factions in terms of age (and age was shoved into the player's face, imo), religion/ideology, solutions to various issues, position towards discouraged technologies and emerging technologies, etc. FFX-2 clearly demonstrated these differences in an adequate way, particularly if you did most of the sidequests and if you did a few playthroughs and took different sides. Even the reluctance that some people exhibit towards embracing Machina was dealt with nicely --though I don't remember if New Yevonites' reluctance of accepting the Al Bhed race was explored as well.

Even if it didn't go as in-depth as I wanted it to, I appreciated that FFX-2 was consistent with FFX's ending in a worldview kind of way--after a certain way of living has been abolished or rendered obsolete, some people still want guidance and a set path to deal with things. FFX's ending left a political and spiritual void, so the factions were created to help guide people. Even 2 years after FFX's ending, you can see that some people are still struggling to deal with the consequences (good and "bad") of the Eternal Calm. And really, I didn't even mind the more lighthearted tone of the main story. I thought it was pretty refreshing in a sense.

When you think about it, Spira's worldbuilding was very well-done in FFX and FFX-2. You know pretty much everything about it because the game made you engage with the world and its people. Even the sidequests in FFX-2 expanded on Spira a little bit.

...And FFX-2 is pretty damn fun to play, but that was sort of a given. :p

RDreamer

I really need to give X-2 another chance at some point, but I'd like to do so after playing FFX again. I guess I'll wait for the HD remake to come out, though I really wish they were doing X-2 in a pack with it...

They exist as eye-candy. Probably because the main characters (if male) have to be attractive in a sense and need to stand out? Kinda odd that FFXIV Cid is quite nice to look at, though.
But I don't want to just look at the hot Cids, I want use them. :(

The online Cids needs some Dissidia/Theatrhythm attention.

Esura

Banned
She was always bland to me, even in FFXIII; but to be fair, I never really liked her, even if I guess she was supposed to be the character I related to the most?

Noel was a pretty darn good protagonist, but let's not spoil jaxword. :p

And imo, FFX-2 is one of the best games in the series. >.>

Noel didn't quite click with me. Nothing really inherently wrong with him but I found him kind of boring. Also, I didn't like how he disses Snow either.

I agree with FFX-2 being awesome. Such an underrated game.

Noi

My favorite FFs are 9 ,1, 13/13-2, 6 and then 4

I feel like that's the weirdest fucking list ever but yes FF1 is my second favorite FF

FF1 is tied with FF5 as my favorite games in the series, so yours isn't that weird!

I like mostly everything about X-2 except for the designs for the new characters. Arguably one of the best battle systems in the series and the actual plot/build up is good, but it's hard to take some of the lead characters seriously when they look like this.

(Gippal gets an honorable mention, though he's not nearly as bad as Nooj.)

jaxword

(Gippal gets an honorable mention, though he's not nearly as bad as Nooj.)

iWTF5.png

Mario007

The fact that politics were touched on (albeit very lightly) in FFX-2's story appealed to me. There is still a small amount of political turmoil in Spira because everyone's free to believe what they want but they need some guidance. You have two factions at each other's throats, and one neutral faction stuck in the middle. There's a dichotomy between the two leading factions in terms of age (and age was shoved into the player's face, imo), religion/ideology, solutions to various issues, position towards discouraged technologies and emerging technologies, etc. FFX-2 clearly demonstrated these differences in an adequate way, particularly if you did most of the sidequests and if you did a few playthroughs and took different sides. Even the reluctance that some people exhibit towards embracing Machina was dealt with nicely --though I don't remember if New Yevonites' reluctance of accepting the Al Bhed race was explored as well.

Even if it didn't go as in-depth as I wanted it to, I appreciated that FFX-2 was consistent with FFX's ending in a worldview kind of way--after a certain way of living has been abolished or rendered obsolete, some people still want guidance and a set path to deal with things. FFX's ending left a political and spiritual void, so the factions were created to help guide people. Even 2 years after FFX's ending, you can see that some people are still struggling to deal with the consequences (good and "bad") of the Eternal Calm. And really, I didn't even mind the more lighthearted tone of the main story. I thought it was pretty refreshing in a sense.

When you think about it, Spira's worldbuilding was very well-done in FFX and FFX-2. You know pretty much everything about it because the game made you engage with the world and its people. Even the sidequests in FFX-2 expanded on Spira a little bit.

...And FFX-2 is pretty damn fun to play, but that was sort of a given. :p

I actually think Toriyama should be relegated to doing sequels to mainline FF games. As you said he dealt well with the world-building after the huge events of FFX and I felt he did the same with FFXIII-2. While in FFXIII-2 it's not so much about politics, he really brought out the concept of consequences of FFXIII's actions and the happy ending that we saw. Also the world having to deal with oppression being gone theme was kinda the same as with FFX.

I also enjoyed Revenant Wings (which I think he did as well?). In that case, he didn't do so much world-building as much as Vaan-building and that was sorely needed after FFXII. In RW Vaan did feel like the center character, who goes through his struggles and in the end is forced to face with a huge threat. In a way, the story felt more FF than FFXII.

What is worrying about Toriyama is his inconsistency...or his inconsistent aims. In FFX-2 he pretty much ruined Yuna' character completely and the character development was atrocious and falling into cliches all the time. But that was ok because he wanted a 'light-hearted and fun game'. In FFXIII he focused on the character struggles to the extend that 80% of the game really isn't about solving the Focus but about the characters themselves. Once again this is acceptable because he set out to do this.( However, in those 20% of the game that's left he ruins it by basically reversing the character arcs back to the starting point for all but Hope.) In FFXIII-2 he focuses more on the lore rather than the characters so you have a bunch of many very bland characters interacting with the exception of Noel, Yuel and Caius since they are part of the lore.

Mario007

Found this littler rumor talking about FFXV http://thesilentchief.com/2012/07/18/gamesmaster-uk-rumor-final-fantasy-xv-four-years-in-development-will-release-on-current-gen-platforms/

• Including the concept planning and pre-production phase, the game has already been in development for over 4 years.
• It entered full production in January 2010, a month after FFXIII was released in Japan. Since then it has had a development team of just over 200 people.
• The director is the same person who directed FFVI, FFIX and FFXII, Hiroyuki Ito.
• The co-director led a small part of the development team to make Tactics Ogre for the PSP in parallel with FFXV. He’s currently multi-tasking as lead UI designer of FFXIV 2.0 and co-director of FFXV.
• The game design and battle system will be a major evolution of FFXII.
• The game will be open world and have sprawling, crowd-filled cities on par with Assassin’s Creed.
• The battle system now allows you to target different parts of an enemy’s body like in Vagrant Story.
• Yoichi Wada (president of Square Enix) wants the game to have a world scale and volume of content that surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He also wants the game to surpass FFVII in worldwide sales and critical reception.
• Will release on all major current gen platforms.

Apparently the source tipped the mag about Xbox360 version of FFXIII too.

I saw Kagari saying on twitter that an FFXV rumor was fake so I presume she meant this one. Thus I'm posting it here rather than creating a new thread, to generate discussion and ideas.

Aeana

It's totally fake.
Some of the stuff written there may or may not turn out to be genuine, but most of it is wishful thinking or stuff that was pulled out of vague statements in previous interviews.

jaxword

It's totally fake.
Some of the stuff written there may or may not turn out to be genuine, but most of it is wishful thinking or stuff that was pulled out of vague statements in previous interviews.

A lot of it seems to simply be parroted opposites of the FF13 complaints.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually think Toriyama should be relegated to doing sequels to mainline FF games. As you said he dealt well with the world-building after the huge events of FFX and I felt he did the same with FFXIII-2. While in FFXIII-2 it's not so much about politics, he really brought out the concept of consequences of FFXIII's actions and the happy ending that we saw. Also the world having to deal with oppression being gone theme was kinda the same as with FFX.

What is worrying about Toriyama is his inconsistency...or his inconsistent aims. In FFX-2 he pretty much ruined Yuna' character completely and the character development was atrocious and falling into cliches all the time. But that was ok because he wanted a 'light-hearted and fun game'. In FFXIII he focused on the character struggles to the extend that 80% of the game really isn't about solving the Focus but about the characters themselves. Once again this is acceptable because he set out to do this.( However, in those 20% of the game that's left he ruins it by basically reversing the character arcs back to the starting point for all but Hope.) In FFXIII-2 he focuses more on the lore rather than the characters so you have a bunch of many very bland characters interacting with the exception of Noel, Yuel and Caius since they are part of the lore.
Toriyama didn't write FFX-2, but directed it. Nojima and Watanabe did, and that allowed for consistency between FFX and FFX-2. Nojima and the art teams built a very competent world in Spira and kind of ensured that players would explore nearly every facet of it. Outside of the chapter structure (which I think worked pretty well in X-2, especially since it isolated that Sphere TV stuff), Toriyama didn't seem to have anything to do with the writing outside of the general tone (which, again, worked well within context).

I didn't want to bring it up because there are clearly people in this thread who haven't played FFXIII-2, but I wasn't very thrilled with how FFXIII-2 progressed in terms of adequate worldbuilding and culture outside of the Datalog. Chapter 4 was an interesting one because it touched on something that I wanted to know about, as was Chapter 5, but outside of that, I wasn't too enthused with it. Especially when you compare it to the likes of FFX-2, but to be fair, in that case, we're working with a smaller frame of time which enhanced X-2's cohesiveness somewhat. I'm in an apparent minute minority, though, as I'm not very fond of FFXIII-2. I definitely understand why people liked it a lot, though.

You're right though--Toriyama, as a writer, is pretty inconsistent. I think he should work a little bit with other people more experienced with writing (outside of Watanabe) to ensure that there's a flow and consistency with his writing as well as a link between characters, worldbuilding, lore, and general plot. Or maybe they should hire someone who writes for a living?

Buuuut this isn’t the time or place for this kinda discussion since community threads are less about bickering and more about embracing the series. And some people in here haven't played the XIII games at all yet. :)

Found this littler rumor talking about FFXV http://thesilentchief.com/2012/07/18/gamesmaster-uk-rumor-final-fantasy-xv-four-years-in-development-will-release-on-current-gen-platforms/

Apparently the source tipped the mag about Xbox360 version of FFXIII too.

I saw Kagari saying on twitter that an FFXV rumor was fake so I presume she meant this one. Thus I'm posting it here rather than creating a new thread, to generate discussion and ideas.
If they're working on FFXIII-3 and Versus (which was in pre-production or entering or something?), I can't see them sparing a bunch of people on FFXV (unless the team is very very small). That stuff in there sounds really good... and too good to be true.

In general, though, I'm eager for a potential FFXV. Kinda want to move away from the XIII universe and FNC at the moment.

Yoichi Wada (president of Square Enix) wants the game to have a world scale and volume of content that surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He also wants the game to surpass FFVII in worldwide sales and critical reception.
Why does this sound like something he'd say?
KuGsj.gif

OMG Aero

I've never really been interested in the Final Fantasy series but I got Theatrhythm since I like rhythm games and it's got me in the mood to give the series a go.
Someone recommended Final Fantasy 9 to me, and from a quick look on Metacritic that seems to be the highest rated one, but I was just wondering if anyone here agrees with that or would recommend a different one?
Besides Theatrhythm, literally the only Final Fantasy games I have played are the first one and Crystal Chronicles so anything aside from them is an option.

Aeana

FF9 is as good of a place to start as any. Each game is fairly different from the last, and everyone has their favorites.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noel didn't quite click with me. Nothing really inherently wrong with him but I found him kind of boring. Also, I didn't like how he disses Snow either.

I agree with FFX-2 being awesome. Such an underrated game.
I feel the complete opposite regarding that. >.>

I just liked that Noel was snarky. Pretty refreshing after the original game's cast. Also, his animations were awwwwwesommmme. One or two quick blitz animations can end battles in 3-5 seconds if positioned correctly.

Top Bottom