• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Emitan

I can't bear to spend another minute grinding, fuck this game. Finished the main quest last night (ending was as stupid as I remember), so I think I've seen enough to move on to XIII-2. I wanted to see more of the post-game/side quest content, but oh well.

Wait. Did we beat FFXIII on the same day? Weird. But it was my first time.

The fact XIII has little to no romance is also why I've enjoyed it.

But XIII is a romance between Toriyama and Lightning

Rinoa

Seems it's still winning, there must be some secret FF8 fans somewhere voting lol. Usually FF7 wins these sort of things.

But XIII is a romance between Toriyama and Lightning

tumblr_m68ribiErp1rqtw44o1_500.gif

jaxword

You know, I don't know much of anything about Myst anymore, but it's still a bet I'm willing to take.

The terrible ending to Myst is.......that there is no ending. It literally goes on forever until you close the game.

After finishing the final puzzle, the exposition God says "thank you, there's a bigger enemy out there, feel free to explore" and then looks down at his books. Your reward is to...go back and wander through everything you already spent 200 hours wandering through until you click file-quit and that's the ending.

CorvoSol

The terrible ending to Myst is.......that there is no ending. It literally goes on forever until you close the game.

After finishing the final puzzle, the exposition God says "thank you, there's a bigger enemy out there, feel free to explore" and then looks down at his books. Your reward is to...go back and wander through everything you already spent 200 hours wandering through until you click file-quit and that's the ending.

That sounds like a good ending to me, even if it comes at the player's expense.

The Third Birthday ends thus:

1.)Time travel back to Aya's wedding.
2.)Aya is shot by soldiers whose interest in killing her is never explained. Even though it's explained that doing so causes the ENTIRE game to happen.
3.)Exposition about the above being what causes the entire game.
4.)What? You thought you were playing as Aya Brea? LOLOLO NO YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL ALL ALONG HOPE YOU ENJOYED ALL THAT FANSERVICE YOU PERV.
5.)Hey, do you like Aya Brea? KILL HER. SHOOT HER. DO IT NOW. Why? HAHAHA REASONS.
6.)Aya's best friends were locked outside her own wedding . . . because?
7.)Oh hey, so since you're like, ten, why not marry Aya's boyfriend? I mean, he got all dressed up and all.
8.)And now that you're married, he's leaving you! LOL.

THE END.

And knowing the plot of the game does NOT help.

jaxword

That sounds like a good ending to me, even if it comes at the player's expense.

I get why you would think that's a bad ending, but having NO ending is better?

It'd be like being able to explore, say, the world of FF6 after beating Kefka. Except that the NPC dialogue and world and map is exactly the same as before. So you'd literally wander the map...forever, or until you turned it off in frustration.

That's the exact opposite of an ending.

CorvoSol

I get why you would think that's a bad ending, but having NO ending is better?

It'd be like being able to explore, say, the world of FF6 after beating Kefka. Except that the NPC dialogue and world and map is exactly the same as before. So you'd literally wander the map...forever, or until you turned it off in frustration.

That's the exact opposite of an ending.

Well then it can't well be the worst ending if it isn't an ending at all, now, can it?

You take that back. Take it back.

Not every. There are only two truly terrible characters in FF8, and they are Seifer Almasy and Irvine Kinneas. Awful awful awful.

Even Squall, who is a notorious douchebag, is better than these two.

Wazzy

Banned
Well then it can't well be the worst ending if it isn't an ending at all, now, can it?

Not every. There are only two truly terrible characters in FF8, and they are Seifer Almasy and Irvine Kinneas. Awful awful awful.

Even Squall, who is a notorious douchebag, is better than these two.

I don't care that you hate the character but the design? My favourite character design is Seifer. :( it's why I liked characters like Gabranth and Balthier.

CorvoSol

I don't care that you hate the character but the design? My favourite character design is Seifer. :( it's why I liked characters like Gabranth and Balthier.

I don't much hate Seifer's design. I hate that it keeps getting reused. Snow AND Beat have the same design Seifer had, more or less.

And I don't see the resemblance between Gabraanth, Balthier and Douchebag Almasy.

jaxword

I liked Seifer; his and Squall's relationship was probably one of my favorite things in the game.

Missing a proper resolution between them is one of the biggest missed opportunities in the FF series.

Other ones include never having a proper fight with Beatrix in FF9, also never resolving Freya's plot, never fighting all the Turks in FF7, FF13 in general, etc.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't much hate Seifer's design. I hate that it keeps getting reused. Snow AND Beat have the same design Seifer had, more or less.

And I don't see the resemblance between Gabraanth, Balthier and Douchebag Almasy.
Balthier not as much, basically the short blonde hair but Gabranth I think looks very similar to Seifer. Slick short blonde hair.
Missing a proper resolution between them is one of the biggest missed opportunities in the FF series.

Other ones include never having a proper fight with Beatrix in FF9, also never resolving Freya's plot, never fighting all the Turks in FF7, FF13 in general, etc.

I agree. I really wish Seifer joined the party at the end of the game to finish up his plot and redeem himself. He had a big reason to be fighting Ultimecia at the end.

jaxword

I agree. I really wish Seifer joined the party at the end of the game to finish up his plot and redeem himself. He had a big reason to be fighting Ultimecia at the end.

I've literally been posting this exact thing for a decade. How could they miss such an obvious plotline resolution? It wrote itself perfectly! Argh! 12 year old me angst!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm going to say this...

Yuna is the best female character in the Final Fantasy series.

I'm going to say this...

X-2 Yuna? ;)

After playing XIII again, I'm feeling more partial towards Fang and Lightning. Despite the shoddy writing of course. Not to say they are the best, especially since I haven't fully played XII.

SougoXIII

You take that back. Take it back.

Dude, I'm an FF8 fan and even I admit that Seifer's a gigantic asshole.

I liked Seifer; his and Squall's relationship was probably one of my favorite things in the game.

I don't see any relationship though, all of Seifer's interaction with Squall amount to him pulling faces to get Squall's attention and Squall telling him to 'F*ck off.'

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Remember that Type 0 Interview I mentioned before? Well here it is. Completely translated for reading pleasure but also containing certain spoiler stuff as well.

Translated by TEAM DOOMTRAIN(inside joke) member Artistan.

Has a minimum of grammatical errors in places but still, enjoy

http://type0.haloandwingsstudio.com/tabata/

--------------------------------

I did some research on Cieth, the concept itself in relation to this article's view of it(Type 0's view, of which there is actually 3 Cieth in the game if you know the signs) and applied it to some observations in relation to GILGAMESH. Read at your leisure.

GILGAMESH - The Undying

A Cieth. A l'Cie who abandoned their calling, slowly turning into a mindless monster.

This would explain his questionable dialogue not making sense. The need to "Destroy and Devour".

As I recall he wished to serve his country as opposed to the crystal and well that likely eventually pissed it off or he literally forgot and pissed it off anyway.

And a possible absorbtion of the crystal plus the Ultima Radiation may have boosted this process and gave birth to his multi armed form.

Judging by the Wikia on Cieth in relation to XIII, GILGY may qualify as one of the "Undying" as evidented by his durability and survivability.

"Mired in eternal sorrow and regret, and robbed of all free will, Cie'th are damned to wander the world unliving and undying, until their corrupted flesh at last can move no more. For Cie'th, there is no salvation."

So by rule of Orience L'cie and Cieth knowledge he is essentially in a way immortal. But not undead.

"Whereas normal Cie'th eventually cease their wanderings and turn to stone, the Undying rage on, fueled by a jealous hatred of all living things. Retaining the defiant strength of will they knew in life, they act on instinct, doling out death and destruction to all that dare cross their path."

Which this knowledge falls in line with GILGY challenging all who cross his path.

With this the sorrow of losing his only friend and being the sole survivor of his now dead kingdom coupled with the hatred of his people from childhood demanding his worthiness as a king is transformed into his power and willful motivation as a demigod being known as a Cieth. Once a man, but now a monster. And as an undying, those with a refusal to die, always to act on instinct but to also fall victim to endless misfortune. Further prolonged by various future failures will only serve to strengthen him and prolong his strength and power. Making him one of the strongest beings near par of Shinryu and Omega itself(speculative).

Upon becoming a monster he loses all memory of who and what he once was except the rage and anger, and insatiable bloodlust that remains.

The more amazing thing is how he is able to stay in good spirits, which may point to memory loss.

The only weird thing about him being a Undying Cieth however is his self control to spare opponents by taking their weapons in exchange.

A form of mercy in relation to Benkei.

"Man who fights monsters should be wary, lest he become a monster himself..."

CorvoSol

Don't forget a non-scripted boss fight against Golbez. You never actually fight him.

I'm going to say this...

You'll never get me to agree that it isn't Terra. Ever.

Victrix

*beard*
I hate Terra in Dissidia so much. I think the way they portrayed her is possibly even more infuriating than the way Cloud is portrayed.

Though both are really bad. I suppose Terra is remotely more honest to her character in FF6 during the main story, but that still doesn't make her in-battle persona and quotes any more bearable.

Cloud is just a trainwreck in all expanded universe material outside Crisis Core. I don't know how or why the idea of him being a depressed mopey whiner became embededd in their consciousness, but he just was not that in FF7. Before or after his big plot moment. Maybe during, but in that case he should have had a wheelchair limit break in Dissidia :p

Wazzy

Banned
I'm going to say this...

Even though Rinoa is my favourite, I can support this.
Dude, I'm an FF8 fan and even I admit that Seifer's a gigantic asshole.

I don't see any relationship though, all of Seifer's interaction with Squall amount to him pulling faces to get Squall's attention and Squall telling him to 'F*ck off.'

Seifer is an asshole but that's what made him interesting. He's clearly jealous of Squall, he's got serious attitude problems that caused him to fail his exam twice, he's always looked down upon and act's out by bullying people. It all builds up to him losing everything he was comfortable with. He murders tons of people, destroys his relationship with garden and with his two best friends. By the end of the game he's got nothing and seeing him act so desperatly at the end was sad. I just hate that they never finished his story.

Squall and Seifer's relationship is great because at the beginning, Squall looks up to Seifer and yet the entire time Seifer's always been jealous of Squall. We see him go from confident and cocky to completely desperate and weak.

SougoXIII

Even though Rinoa is my favourite, I can support this.

Seifer is an asshole but that's what made him interesting. He's clearly jealous of Squall, he's got serious attitude problems that caused him to fail his exam twice, he's always looked down upon and act's out by bullying people. It all builds up to him losing everything he was comfortable with. He murders tons of people, destroys his relationship with garden and with his two best friends. By the end of the game he's got nothing and seeing him act so desperatly at the end was sad. I just hate that they never finished his story.

Squall and Seifer's relationship is great because at the beginning, Squall looks up to Seifer and yet the entire time Seifer's always been jealous of Squall. We see him go from confident and cocky to completely desperate and weak.

I'm not sure about that bit - at least I can't remember it - I do remember Squall said he respect him as a fellow soldier after his supposed 'death' but I never get the vibe that Squall looks up to him or anyone in that matter. He's too busy surviving on his own.

And my favorite heroine's Rinoa too though I would like it if she wasn't out of commission for an entire disc.

CorvoSol

I hate Terra in Dissidia so much. I think the way they portrayed her is possibly even more infuriating than the way Cloud is portrayed.

Though both are really bad. I suppose Terra is remotely more honest to her character in FF6 during the main story, but that still doesn't make her in-battle persona and quotes any more bearable.

Cloud is just a trainwreck in all expanded universe material outside Crisis Core. I don't know how or why the idea of him being a depressed mopey whiner became embededd in their consciousness, but he just was not that in FF7. Before or after his big plot moment. Maybe during, but in that case he should have had a wheelchair limit break in Dissidia :p

Cloud became the way he is because of KH. In KH he is mopey as hell. Why is anybody's guess. He gets betterish by KH2 (because then it's Aerith's turn to suck).

I also dislike Terra's portrayal in Dissidia, but crazy people with no souls will tell you it is accurate to how she is in FF6 (which stops being true as early as Banon or as late as the Imperial Dinner), but they have no souls, so don't trust 'em.

Cloud became the way he is because of KH. In KH he is mopey as hell. Why is anybody's guess. He gets betterish by KH2 (because then it's Aerith's turn to suck).

I also dislike Terra's portrayal in Dissidia, but crazy people with no souls will tell you it is accurate to how she is in FF6 (which stops being true as early as Banon or as late as the Imperial Dinner), but they have no souls, so don't trust 'em.

I absolutely loathed Terra in FF6. If it wasn't for the second half of the game, she would've been #1 on the reason why I don't like that game. As it stands, she's the worst gotdamn protag in any of the FF games I've played.

CorvoSol

I absolutely loathed Terra in FF6. If it wasn't for the second half of the game, she would've been #1 on the reason why I don't like that game. As it stands, she's the worst gotdamn protag in any of the FF games I've played.

How is that even possible? Terra's one of the best protagonists in the series.

CorvoSol

Haven't played it. The only Luso stuff I know is from War of the Lions. Either way, more FF6 talk is going to make me see red, so I'm just gonna stop for now.

The Luso in TWoL is the one from FFTA2. He's less interesting than all the side characters in the game combined. Such a loser he makes Vaan look cool when he shows up. I would not reccommend TA2 to my worst enemies. Such an awful game compared to its predecessors.

Narolf

Banned
As for Seifer/Squall, Wazzy is right: there is a reciprocal jealousy. Squall does "look up to Seifer" because he is jealous of him for his relationship with Rinoa...

CTRL+F "Just stay close to me" on: http://squallsdead.com/

... while Seifer is jealous of Squall for his charisma.

Rinoa gives little to no shit about Squall until the very end of the first disc, while it's a crush for Squall. At the end of the day, he doesn't want to be a replacement, not even the dog's, because he would rather see Linoa happy... similarly to Vincent with Lucrecia in FFVII. Eventually both Seifer and Hojo let their craziness get the best of them and that's when justice is served.

SougoXIII

As for Seifer/Squall, Wazzy is right: there is a reciprocal jealousy. Squall does "look up to Seifer" because he is jealous of him for his relationship with Rinoa...

CTRL+F "Just stay close to me" on: http://squallsdead.com/

... while Seifer is jealous of Squall for his charisma.

Rinoa gives little to no shit about Squall until the very end of the first disc, while it's a crush for Squall. At the end of the day, he doesn't want to be a replacement, not even the dog's, because he would rather see Linoa happy... similarly to Vincent with Lucrecia in FFVII. Eventually both Seifer and Hojo let their craziness get the best of them and that's when justice is served.

Narolf, I don't think there's any indication that Squall was even interested in Rinoa in Disc 1. All he care about was his orders and was even annoyed at Rinoa because it appears that's she not taking her campaign seriously enough. Hell there was complaints that his outbursts for when Rinoa was in a coma comes as abrupt and out of nowhere.

Victrix

*beard*
Six and seven are very similar in terms of 'the cast is a whole bunch of broken people'. The degree to which they were broken and whether or how they grew from that to some measure of peace or stability varies from character to character.

I actually think that's pretty cool really, but for whatever reason, that was warped (in Cloud's case particularly) into a bunch of them being these emo wrecks, which was... not really the point or arc of the story for most/many of them.

I bring up Cloud specifically partly because I've been playing Dissidia and he's driving me crazy, and partly because I went through FF7's story recently and realized that my memories of it were almost hilariously wrong in terms of both characterization and plot.

(Biggest bombshell to my brain, Sephiroth
not being the one
who killed Aeris o_O)

Man, I want Dissidia on the PS4...

SougoXIII

Worst part of the game for me. Felt like someone basically poisoned Squall's mind and made him favor Rinoa out of the blue.

Other then that the game was quite fine otherwise.

I can buy that Squall slowly open up to Rinoa because her forceful personality wouldn't leave him alone even though he tried to drive her away like everyone else. But to suddenly go 'I can't live without you' and all that nonsense is pretty stupid.

CorvoSol

Worst part of the game for me. Felt like someone basically poisoned Squall's mind and made him favor Rinoa out of the blue.

Other then that the game was quite fine otherwise.

She DID have magic sorceress powers at that point.

Six and seven are very similar in terms of 'the cast is a whole bunch of broken people'. The degree to which they were broken and whether or how they grew from that to some measure of peace or stability varies from character to character.

I actually think that's pretty cool really, but for whatever reason, that was warped (in Cloud's case particularly) into a bunch of them being these emo wrecks, which was... not really the point or arc of the story for most/many of them.

I bring up Cloud specifically partly because I've been playing Dissidia and he's driving me crazy, and partly because I went through FF7's story recently and realized that my memories of it were almost hilariously wrong in terms of both characterization and plot.

(Biggest bombshell to my brain, Sephiroth
not being the one
who killed Aeris
o_O)

Man, I want Dissidia on the PS4...

Wait, what? I just played FF7. Sephiroth most definitely does do that. Unless we're going to dance around the merry-go-round of
it actually being a Sephiroth Clone
. And then it's a matter of asking how much a Doom Bot is a Bot and not Doom.

Top Bottom