• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Started up XIII-2.
ibfj3Bo8WiXdgO.gif

This is off to a great start.
- Why does Lighting now talk like this?
- The dialogue.
- Seeing Lightning's new outfit from the back, I now understand why people don't like it.
- The cutscenes are rather poorly directed when it comes to the action. I don't know what the crap is happening half the time. I guess I'm supposed to be amazed by all the incoherent crazy shit happening. Well, it's not like the action in the first game was much better directed.
- This "Cinematic Action" stuff was ill-conceived.
- The visual coherency is especially bad during QTEs with that effect at the top and bottom of the screen.
- Why did Lightning give Noel a Precure mascot to give to Serah? Why does it turn into a weapon?
- "Where did these clothes come from?" I'm wondering the same thing, Serah.
- Serah's new outfit. Why. I'm seriously considering buying her a better outfit. I can't take this seriously. The N7 Armor looks like the best choice, despite the cross-promotion.

I gave her the free DLC costume and NEVER looked back. It's not the best, but it was better than the crap she started with.

And thank you thank you thank you for confirming what I thought--that Lightning's character is noticeably different from the get-go. Which was disheartening for me, because I liked her in XIII.

DLC Lightning is the real Lightning, and Valkyrie Lightning is just an Etro Clone.

I'm already finding Serah to be draining, I miss Lightning. She's like some sexed up puppy, which is fitting because I think of Snow as a big stupid dog.
I gave her the free DLC costume and NEVER looked back. It's not the best, but it was better than the crap she started with.
But it's associated with AKB48. :\

Noel's outfit is stupid too, it looks like he is being devoured by his pants.

Wazzy

Banned
Fang is abusive and horrible. At one point she nearly punches Vanille in the face.
And nearly stabs her to death between the first and second Orphan fights

I'm confused. I'm pretty sure Fang never tries to harm Vanille. She's always extremely protective of her.

They were the only characters/pairing I liked in that game so I can't help but be biased towards them regarding the whole lesbian/sister debate.

jaxword

I'm confused. I'm pretty sure Fang never tries to harm Vanille. She's always extremely protective of her.

They were the only characters/pairing I liked in that game so I can't help but be biased towards them regarding the whole lesbian/sister debate.

When I first saw Fang/Vanille, I assumed it was some sort of sisterly familiarity, Japanese culture style.

Then I started to notice the little details: Getting possessively jealous over guys flirting with Vanille (we were just talking!), flat out whipping up Vanille's skirt to look at her ass while the others look away, embarrassed, grabbing each other in the breasts when embracing, and Vanille totally, utterly changing from happy-go-lucky energetic girl to quiet and submissive when Fang's around. And then there's most anime love cliche of all time: Being frozen in each other's arms for eternity.

There's also one other incredibly obscure hint that S-E wrote in, but I'm saving that for a project I'll be putting up for neogaf soon.

Fang IS borderline controlling and abusive, I agree, and she's not my favorite character, but that doesn't mean the relationship doesn't exist. That's like saying Lucretia is a horrible person (she is) and therefore that means Vincent obviously didn't like her. Vincent is too cool for that.

Stories don't change because you don't like how they go.

The people who hate the Fang/Vanille pairing strongly parallel the shippers who argue over Cloud and Aerith/Tifa/etc. They call themselves Cloti and Cleriths in the FF community and argue for a decade: "I don't like the idea of them being together, so therefore all these things that suggest they are together don't count!"

It's really interesting to watch in a sociological way; people will hate certain relationships they see in fiction just because they just don't want to see them together.

Which goes back to the usual FF debate about how a character is your favorite if they act the way you want them to act.

aravuus

Not true. The beginning is actually the worst part of the game.

It doesn't get much better story-wise though. Stays the same throughout the game - bad. I really liked XIII-2's gameplay though. It's probably too easy for most but I kind of thought the easiness was a good thing.

suzu

I thought 13-2 was fun, though it was a bit easy. I actually liked both Serah and Noel which was surprising to me, since I had low expectations and was pretty indifferent to 13's characters. Story was goofy, but ehh.

Arthea

13-2 was kinda fun, that's true, but it's not exactly a good game.
I didn't like Sara and Noel at the star of a game, later Sara have grown a lil on me, not much. Story is, oh well, you know what it is. I was really mad they had to make card games and coliseum fights (all of them) dlc. Liked puzzleparadoxes though, and chokobo hunt, combat got worse than in 13, and a game is tad too easy.

Rinoa

I like the bikini Serah, want that suit irl.

Re: Squall & Seifer

Some stuff I posted a month or so ago, trimming it... excuse the wall-o-text

Before the game was released, Tetsuya Nomura & Kazushige Nojima had repeatedly stated in interviews that Squall and Seifer were designed to be rivals. Up until this very point in the game [Timber], sure, the two are very similar and rival each other on multiple levels. What’s unfortunate is that their rivalry truly peaked during the intro FMV, in a duel that left them both with scars. The whole Dollet mission shindig afterwards is tame in comparison. What we have seen of Seifer up until this point in the game is actually all we will ever see of ‘real’ Seifer in the game proper.

I’m serious, just think of it this way… Seifer came under the influence of Ultimecia (through Edea) at Timber and will continue to be under her control until the ending FMV of the game. It’s as though Nomura’s work into designing Seifer as a rival was only reflected in the FMVs, a few choice “rival” lines and a few character parallels. Sure, there are still hints of the real Seifer and he still has his memories, but he has been brainwashed at the subconscious level to do Ultimecia’s bidding.

For Seifer to truly rival Squall he has to be in his right mind, and well.. both need to have motives. From this point on Seifer is just a puppet and Squall himself eventually used that word to describe him. There was so much potential for Seifer to be a brilliantly written rival. Instead, everyone just ends up pitying him for becoming a frenemy and it’s hard to ever fight him without feeling bad.

Squall also puts himself in Seifer's shoes, that's why he has the breakdown at Galbadia Garden

When Squall comes to Rinoa, Rinoa talks about how she felt about Seifer. Saying that Rinoa only sees the good in others would be an understatement at this point. While Seifer was indeed a troubled child, Rinoa only saw someone smart, confident and, well… she liked him. While this may seem farfetched because we only see a certain side of Seifer, keep in mind that Rinoa was 16 last summer. When you’re a 16 year old girl and a (good looking) older guy (one or two years is a huge difference when you’re a teen!) gives you attention and says what you want to hear… chances are you get into crush mode. Not to mention, whatever Seifer said drove Rinoa’s need to succeed in atoning for the sins committed by the Galbadian Government - and her father, who we will soon meet.

Out of the whole party, Rinoa is the only person with happy memories of Seifer and it’s really sad. What Rinoa says about liking Seifer wakes something up in Squall because he immediately starts placing himself in Seifer’s shoes, again. Deep in thought about death and how others react to it, he imagines that this is how everyone would react to his death… and realizes that he doesn’t want it. This causes his barrier to crack and the illusion of cool he that has been keeping up finally falls apart. He storms out of the room yelling nonsense, which causes everyone to think he’s gone crazy. Luckily, he runs into Raijin and Fujin in the hall and they inadvertently help Squall get his cool back - because those two don’t believe for a second that Seifer is really dead (neither did we, but hey).

This is from my FF8 thoughts that I'm still writing word vomit on. If you want really details of how Squall treats Rinoa differently, how he resists showing any attraction while it shows in non-obvious ways anyway, it's all going to be in there..

(they're the long blog entries)
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/heartilly
can also be accessed here but the theme is pale for most peeps eyes
http://sheilaknight.tumblr.com/tagged/heartilly

Wazzy

Banned
When I first saw Fang/Vanille, I assumed it was some sort of sisterly familiarity, Japanese culture style.

Then I started to notice the little details: Getting possessively jealous over guys flirting with Vanille (we were just talking!), flat out whipping up Vanille's skirt to look at her ass while the others look away, embarrassed, grabbing each other in the breasts when embracing, and Vanille totally, utterly changing from happy-go-lucky energetic girl to quiet and submissive when Fang's around. And then there's most anime love cliche of all time: Being frozen in each other's arms for eternity.

There's also one other incredibly obscure hint that S-E wrote in, but I'm saving that for a project I'll be putting up for neogaf soon.

Fang IS borderline controlling and abusive, I agree, and she's not my favorite character, but that doesn't mean the relationship doesn't exist. That's like saying Lucretia is a horrible person (she is) and therefore that means Vincent obviously didn't like her. Vincent is too cool for that.

Stories don't change because you don't like how they go.

The people who hate the Fang/Vanille pairing strongly parallel the shippers who argue over Cloud and Aerith/Tifa/etc. They call themselves Cloti and Cleriths in the FF community and argue for a decade: "I don't like the idea of them being together, so therefore all these things that suggest they are together don't count!"

It's really interesting to watch in a sociological way; people will hate certain relationships they see in fiction just because they just don't want to see them together.

Which goes back to the usual FF debate about how a character is your favorite if they act the way you want them to act.
Hmm I'm partial to the whole Cloti/Clerith stuff. I personally hate both pairings and wish Square would stop dragging the LT on. Either way, in VII, both pairings are up to the players interpretation, after that, I don't really follow much because everything after is terrible.

Oh and both fans are absolutely crazy. The debates I used to read from both sides...yeesh.

Some stuff I posted a month or so ago, trimming it... excuse the wall-o-text

Squall also puts himself in Seifer's shoes, that's why he has the breakdown at Galbadia Garden

This is from my FF8 thoughts that I'm still writing word vomit on. If you want really details of how Squall treats Rinoa differently, how he resists showing any attraction while it shows in non-obvious ways anyway, it's all going to be in there..

(they're the long blog entries)
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/heartilly
can also be accessed here but the theme is pale for most peeps eyes
http://sheilaknight.tumblr.com/tagged/heartilly
Interesting stuff! I'll take a full look later. I noticed some stuff about Ashbear while quickly skimming and I realized I hadn't kept up with her stuff in a while. I was always hoping she would finish Somewhere In Between.

Rinoa

I don't believe in that Cloti/Clerith stuff, do people forget Zack and Aerith are a thing?

She's still working on Somewhere In Between, I dunno how she gets the time with her supersmart hella curricular activity kids and all. I've yet to read all the chapters on that one, but it was def some of the best FF8 story writing ever.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't believe in that Cloti/Clerith stuff, do people forget Zack and Aerith are a thing?

She's still working on Somewhere In Between, I dunno how she gets the time with her supersmart hella curricular activity kids and all. I've yet to read all the chapters on that one, but it was def some of the best FF8 story writing ever.
Zack and Aerith were a thing, they're not in VII. :p

But I'd rather move away from the LT debate, it only gets people riled up which then leads to character bashing.

It's an awesome story and my favorite next to Crimson lies. Very talented writer.

Narolf

Banned

Not a fan of Cloterith either. She only sees Zack through Cloud, and the latter ultimately nurtures her love by acting as if he were Zack because of the sequels of the experiment. Sex aside, people usually forget Cloud got pulled out of his schizophrenia thanks to Tifa.

Cloud-Tifa-ffvii-fmv-mideel.png

It's a protecting a man's pride... is a woman's duty thing.

Wazzy

Banned
Lol that picture looks like Tifa is pushing him off a cliff.

Let's discuss Rydia and Edge. Now that's an awesome FF pairing..... :(

rataven

It's a protecting a man's pride... is a woman's duty thing.

This is an.....odd statement, to say the least.

You do realize that Tifa is a childhood friend of Cloud's, right? One of her most defining personality traits is how caring she is. She's not doing it out of 'duty', she's doing it because she cares.

anaron

This is an.....odd statement, to say the least.

You do realize that Tifa is a childhood friend of Cloud's, right? One of her most defining personality traits is how caring she is. She's not doing it out of 'duty', she's doing it because she cares.

But they weren't childhood friends. The Lifestream sequence kinda confirms that.

rataven

But they weren't childhood friends. The Lifestream sequence kinda confirms that.

Well, regardless of how much they could actually call themselves 'friends' they still knew each other. Neighbors then. Doesn't take away that Tifa does all that because she cares.

Narolf

Banned
Well, regardless of how much they could actually call themselves 'friends' they still knew each other. Neighbors then. Doesn't take away that Tifa does all that because she cares.
:)
Oh that spelling of Rinoa. However, I do think Seifer deserved a redemption. He's a teenager manipulated by his attitude and jealousy issues.

Out of the four love-triangles Nomura has been behind in one form or another...
  • Rinoa/Squall/Seifer
  • Lucrecia/Vincent/Hojo
  • Yuna/Tidus/Seymour
  • Kairi/Sora/Riku
... the latter is the only one wherein all parties found redemption at the end. Sora and Riku love Kairi as much and that's what drives both of them for the whole game. Eventually Riku ends up being more and more manipulated by Ansem as much as he gives it in to the Darkness. It's not like Seifer still since Kairi is nothing but the reason that animates Riku, while Seifer also has other aspirations as you say it yourself.

Didn't mention Tifa/Cloud/Aerith since it's deemed to be a split-object.

anaron

Oh I'm not refuting Tifa's concern. I'm just pointing out that it's not an applicable crutch for the story or their own relationship.

Wazzy

Banned
I can't stand love triangles. Another one is Kain/Rosa/Cecil but it's completely one sided and is one of the most annoying aspects about Kain. I like that there wasn't a LT in IX or X.

Anyways, I just started the original FF I and...it's so much worse than I remember. :(

rataven

Oh I'm not refuting Tifa's concern. I'm just pointing out that it's not an applicable crutch for the story or their own relationship.

I think it is. Cloud makes a promise to protect her before he ever leaves for SOILDER, and after he does set out, she worries about him constantly. She obviously cared for him in their youth, but didn't necessarily know how to vocalize or act on it. And interestingly, when Cloud suffers through his mental breakdown, she, in a way, reciprocates that promise of protection by pushing him through the lifestream and restoring his memories. They're actually a really interesting couple, regardless of 'ship'. Blech.

Rinoa

I think it is. Cloud makes a promise to protect her before he ever leaves for SOILDER, and after he does set out, she worries about him constantly. She obviously cared for him in their youth, but didn't necessarily know how to vocalize or act on it. And interestingly, when Cloud suffers through his mental breakdown, she, in a way, reciprocates that promise of protection by pushing him through the lifestream and restoring his memories. .

This is why that lifestream sequence was so effing good, that feel when you first saw it and turns out Cloud was actually an incognito hero for Tifa during the Nibelheim incident and beat down Sephiroth ass in his rage + overworld theme during the revelation = FISTPUMPS ALL OVER

I9gGW.gif

jaxword

I like the bikini Serah, want that suit irl.

I think you're one of the few women I've seen who actually likes that DLC.

That's actually a bit enlightening and respectable.

As for your Squall/Seifer analysis, it makes sense.

Nojima/Nomura clearly wanted Seifer and Squall to contrast each other. Seifer was hotheaded and had friends and wanted to be beloved by all as a great hero and leader.

Cold, aloof Squall didn't care about friends or being loved.

Seifer goes on to become that great leader, leading an army, but the cost is losing his friends and loved ones because he was too stubborn to change or admit he was incorrect.

This contrasts Squall, who changed thanks to Rinoa and his friends, realizing his attitude was unhealthy and wrong, and he becomes the beloved hero after all.

CorvoSol

Ugh, I hate when people try and refute Cloud and Aerith as "she just wanted him because he was Zack." Isn't there an entire novella or whatever in the canon devoted to refuting precisely that? Aerith doesn't see Cloud as Zack. Especially since playing CC and then 7 back-to-back Cloud's "Zack" persona isn't very much like Zack at all.

Wazzy

Banned
Ugh, I hate when people try and refute Cloud and Aerith as "she just wanted him because he was Zack." Isn't there an entire novella or whatever in the canon devoted to refuting precisely that? Aerith doesn't see Cloud as Zack. Especially since playing CC and then 7 back-to-back Cloud's "Zack" persona isn't very much like Zack at all.

My big issue with it is that Cloud and Zack are nothing a like. I know Cloud took certain aspects from Zack but overall he's more cold and rude.

It's why I hate both pairings and their fans, neither side can accept that Cloud loved both and both loved Cloud. Oh and, screw Zack/Aerith, Cissnei was the best.

suzu

I think Aerith saw some Zack-likeness in Cloud, which is why she became interested in him in the first place. But eventually she ended up liking Cloud for who he was/because of his own personality shining through. Blah blah blah.

Cloud x Tifa 4eva tho.

rataven

The thing is, at the time of VII's release, we really didn't know all that much about Zack, so Cloud could have been mimicking him perfectly all along (though I don't necessarily think he was). Then CC shows up ten years later and we find out Zack was a cheerful, goofy puppy dog, which probably has more to do with making him a really likable character in order to carry a whole game than how Zack was originally envisioned, but I could be wrong here.

VII's canon is shaky, depending on when you entered the compilation, so I can see why a handful of fans would interpret Cloud as something of a Zack substitute for Aerith. In light of the whole compilation though, it's clear it goes deeper for her.

SougoXIII

The thing is, at the time of VII's release, we really didn't know all that much about Zack, so Cloud could have been mimicking him perfectly all along (though I don't necessarily think he was). Then CC shows up ten years later and we find out Zack was a cheerful, goofy puppy dog, which probably has more to do with making him a really likable character in order to carry a whole game than how Zack was originally envisioned, but I could be wrong here.

VII's canon is shaky, depending on when you entered the compilation, so I can see why a handful of fans would interpret Cloud as something of a Zack substitute for Aerith. In light of the whole compilation though, it's clear it goes deeper for her.

Didn't she explicitly said at one point that she was drawn to Cloud because he remind her of Zack but then find out that he's completely different from Zack?

rataven

Didn't she explicitly said at one point that she was drawn to Cloud because he remind her of Zack but then find out that he's completely different from Zack?

I know she said he reminded her of Zack, but I don't recall her ever saying later that he was completely different (she's not around long enough to ever know the real Cloud, anyway). And it wouldn't make too much sense if she did, because Cloud is supposed to be like Zack, in some way shape or form, due to taking on his persona and the attitude of what he thinks a member of SOLDIER would be.

SougoXIII

I know she said he reminded her of Zack, but I don't recall her ever saying later that he was completely different (she's not around long enough to ever know the real Cloud, anyway). And it wouldn't make too much sense if she did, because Cloud is supposed to be like Zack, in some way shape or form, due to taking on his persona and the attitude of what he thinks a member of SOLDIER would be.

I think I found the script. Here's the part I was referring to:

Aerith
"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

(She looks down)

Aerith
".........first off, it bothered me how you looked exactly
alike."
"Two completely different people, but look exactly the same."
"The way you walk, gesture..."
"I think I must have seen him again, in you..."

(She shakes her head)

Aerith
"But you're different."

(She looks down again)

Aerith
"Things are different..."

CorvoSol

Aerith

(She looks down)

Aerith
alike."

(She shakes her head)

Aerith
"But you're different."

(She looks down again)

Aerith

After which she says she wants to know him. Aerith was pretty obviously interested in Cloud for Cloud and not just because he was like Zack.

rataven

Aerith

(She looks down)

Aerith
alike."

(She shakes her head)

Aerith
"But you're different."

(She looks down again)

Aerith

She's still saying Cloud reminded her of Zack, with the dubious disclaimer that's he's different and 'things' are different, which isn't exactly saying he's completely different from Zack. What that 'different' thing is though, I don't know. But honestly, the weirdest part is that she thinks they look exactly alike.

Top Bottom