• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

It's weird how defensive some FF fans get when you like certain characters.

Or dislike certain characters.

Or like current games.

Or dislike certain games.

But you know how the FF community works, My Favorite FF is the only good one and every one since then is literally the worst game ever, Square-Enix is dead to me, etc.

It's a bit strange when you think about it, it's like someone saying Star Wars episode 4 is the only good one and will keep saying that in every single SW discussion...for 30 years.

Something to be learned there.

Seda

One of the fun parts about FFVIII is exploiting the game, never fight a single random battle until the end of the game (rather, card enemies for AP and no EXP).... Use cards to get high level magic early and junction them early. Exploiting Seifer and Edea to level up GFs... Then when you get all the GFs, you can use the stat up abilities as you actually gain levels to get crazy stats.

Narolf

Banned
Or dislike certain characters.

Or like current games.

Or dislike certain games.

But you know how the FF community works, My Favorite FF is the only good one and every one since then is literally the worst game ever, Square-Enix is dead to me, etc.

It's a bit strange when you think about it, it's like someone saying Star Wars episode 4 is the only good one and will keep saying that in every single SW discussion...for 30 years.

Something to be learned there.

I believe the core of the problem takes root from how people constantly want to rank things rather than considering them as valuable.

jaxword

I believe the core of the problem takes root from how people constantly want to rank things rather than considering them as valuable.

I personally think every FF has something good about it. Yes, even 14.

Along the same lines, every FF has something bad about it.

The point is to appreciate the art without de-evolving into a religious-like schism of how everyone's opinion becomes fact.

I actually find the idea of liking something for 30 years and denying ANY improvements a little depressing. It's like seeing grandpa refuse to touch a computer because he files things on paper dammit and it was better that way, dammit!

CorvoSol

Narolf: Yeah I wasn't a fan of the people there. I won't even deny that I took a bit of a trollish attitude just because discussion was basically never allowed. I was also about 16-17 when I posted.

I had someone start a huge argument with me about VIII's rep. They didn't read my post properly and then started bashing me for being a fan of Rinoa even though I clearly said I wanted Seifer in. I made them look pretty bad after it ended and they ended up backing off. I think I screen capped the convo.

It's weird how defensive some FF fans get when you like certain characters.

GameFAQs was worse. People insisting that Krile rep 5.

KRILE. You know, like, one of the absolute worst characters in the series, repping one of the best games.

Wazzy

Banned
Ugh Gamefaqs. Why would they put Krile in over Faris? I shouldn't be surprised.
I was also about 16-17 when I posted.

You were 18 when you had that argument.
Huh, you're right. I was thinking it happened when I joined but that was when Dissidia came out, not Duodecim.

I do remember lurking it, pretty sure the member in question was Scott.
Yup, that's the one.

[Moreover in a forum about a fan-service game.

I understand where you're coming from since I do the same nowadays. Stopped taking the forum seriously ever since the drama I've told you about. A brief look at my posts-history would let you see that I do nothing but cracking jokes from now on. Even then, GAF remains much more fun. The mood here is really chillax in comparison to DF's, everyone is pretty nice. Hell, even the "trolls" that goof around are harmless if not cute.
Yeah, they were super weird about reps.

I like that GAF is more chill, even if the FF threads always get out of hand.

Zoe: hahah what? Selphie had an inner voice that had an accent? lol

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GameFAQs was worse. People insisting that Krile rep 5.

KRILE. You know, like, one of the absolute worst characters in the series, repping one of the best games.

That's okay. We got the best rep(OF EVERY GOOD GAME) instead. Toriyama tried to ruin it with a different VA but that wasn't enough.

Narolf

Banned
Yeah, they were super weird about reps.
Even worse than the rankings' wars we have here.

I like that GAF is more chill, even if the FF threads always get out of hand.

Those get out of hand because people ultimately care about FF and want to defend their positions tooth and nail in that respect. DF's threads get ouf of hand because people take offend even at harmless contradictions, which not only kills discussion but also leads to hypocrisy. Yeah, I think that's really where the difference is at between the two: people's honesty.

Wazzy

Banned
Very true. Gamefaqs and DF were just terrible back then and it looks like it hasn't changed(lol I don't think GF was ever good)

Yeah, it first comes out during the missile section IIRC.

Wow, I need to see this. I'm now seriously disappointed they didn't translate it.

jaxword

FF8 was also censored in ways most people didn't even realize.

1. Gerogero in America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yTbKBE5TChU#t=74s

Japan:

JQoeaRE.jpg

He looks a bit like the "Unknown" series of monsters from FF5 and 7.

2. You can scan everything in the game, including your own characters and the final boss. You can also rotate the models of everything, including the final boss. Example of Quistis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wfwt2ancHms#t=2559s

Except there's ONE model that can't be scanned and rotated: Selphie. Obviously because they didn't want any 13 year old perverts to look up her skirt.

3. Not really censorship so much as a misunderstanding of the translator, but the sorceress's speech is slightly clearer that sorceresses were hunted down and persecuted and that she was taking over the country--not "mind control" as some people thought it was back then. It really is a fascist takeover.

Squall also doesn't say "Whatever" that much, but that's practically his catchphrase now.

Wazzy

Banned
FF8 was also censored in ways most people didn't even realize.

1. Gerogero in America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yTbKBE5TChU#t=74s

Japan:

JQoeaRE.jpg

He looks a bit like the "Unknown" series of monsters from FF5 and 7.

2. You can scan everything in the game, including your own characters and the final boss. You can also rotate the models of everything, including the final boss. Example of Quistis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wfwt2ancHms#t=2559s

Except there's ONE model that can't be scanned and rotated: Selphie. Obviously because they didn't want any 13 year old perverts to look up her skirt.

3. Not really censorship so much as a misunderstanding of the translator, but the sorceress's speech is slightly clearer that sorceresses were hunted down and persecuted and that she was taking over the country--not "mind control" as some people thought it was back then. It really is a fascist takeover.

Squall also doesn't say "Whatever" that much, but that's practically his catchphrase now.
Interesting stuff. I knew about the scanning one and that they has a few issues with the speeches but I didn't know about the gerogero change. I'm now so used to the blue.

The main one I know about is the Griever summon scan not being translated properly. I believe in the Japanese version it explains how Ultimecia summoned him.

XIII-2

In Academia 400 AF,
I am so tired of fighting Cie'th. This scenario is shit, would be somewhat better if this were an ARPG. This is a clusterfuck, you can't even take in what's going on because enemies keep spawing so rapidly.

Seda

XIII-2

In Academia 400 AF,
I am so tired of fighting Cie'th. This scenario is shit, would be somewhat better if this were an ARPG. This is a clusterfuck, you can't even take in what's going on because enemies keep spawing so rapidly.

That part was the WORST

CorvoSol

XIII-2

In Academia 400 AF,

Oh man, going back there to fill out the map is a NIGHTMARE. Doing sidequests there? NO THANKS.

And I was so excited at first, but the events that Academia 400 AF kicks off are among the most insipid arcs in the whole game.

Still, there was one good moment there.

Emitan

I've gotten distracted by Metal Gear Rising and soon Monster Hunter but I liked the time puzzle thing that I did in the Brecha Ruins.

CorvoSol

I've gotten distracted by Metal Gear Rising and soon Monster Hunter but I liked the time puzzle thing that I did in the Brecha Ruins.

As someone else mentioned, the static ones where you can come up with a solution via repeated attempts were fine. The randomly generated ones where the most terrible thing.

Speaking of things added because of fan demand, Academia is absolutely boring. I know HD towns are hard and all but they could have done a better job. I doubt the towns in Lightning Returns are going to be much better.

CorvoSol

Speaking of things added because of fan demand, Academia is absolutely boring. I know HD towns are hard and all but they could have done a better job. I doubt the towns in Lightning Returns are going to be much better.

Academia is boring because it has all the content of the Archelytte Town in five times the space, so your time is spent walking doing nothing, looking at nothing, trying to avoid eye contact with the AAA GAME neanderthals that make up any non-main character populous in the entire game.

And then you have the great conversations where Noel and Hope stand two inches from each other and stare straight down at each others' crotches while they gesticulate.

AAA game.

Academia is boring because it has all the content of the Archelytte Town in five times the space, so your time is spent walking doing nothing, looking at nothing, trying to avoid eye contact with the AAA GAME neanderthals that make up any non-main character populous in the entire game.

And then you have the great conversations where Noel and Hope stand two inches from each other and stare straight down at each others' crotches while they gesticulate.

AAA game.
Seriously, the game should have spent another year in the oven. The idle animation conversations are Deadly Premonition bad, without the charm. Lightning Returns is going to be so polished.

Edit: I was talking to a soldier in the Vile Peaks near the "dangerous" monster and Serah's AI walked up to it during the conversation. Quality game.

CorvoSol

Seriously, the game should have spent another year in the oven. The idle animation conversations are Deadly Premonition bad, without the charm. Lightning Returns is going to be so polished.

Edit: I was talking to a soldier in the Vile Peaks near the "dangerous" monster and Serah's AI walked up to it during the conversation. Quality game.

But it's pretty and pretty is quality! I've seen this argument presented in like, four FFXIII threads so it must be true! And I've seen people insist in long posts multiple times! It HAS to be true!

You just don't like thongs.

This just turned into a crappy platformer. WHY.
But it's pretty and pretty is quality! I've seen this argument presented in like, four FFXIII threads so it must be true! And I've seen people insist in long posts multiple times! It HAS to be true!

You just don't like thongs.
It's not even that good looking, most of the time.

CorvoSol

This just turned into a crappy platformer. WHY.

It's not even that good looking, most of the time.

AHAHAHA GUESS WHAT EVERYTHING GETS AWFUL FROM THERE.

Hahahaha. I hate that dungeon.

Terribly designed. Terrible handling. So slow. Just awful.

Just because it's pretty doesn't mean it's great.

Nu-uh! Good looks are an important part of Final Fantasy and what make it a AAA game. I saw this on GameFAQs so it must be true.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nu-uh! Good looks are an important part of Final Fantasy and what make it a AAA game. I saw this on GameFAQs so it must be true.
Okay, I'm obviously missing something in terms of context here. Hahahahaha. Ohhhh... I think I get it.

I think I wrote up a few posts about why I genuinely disliked the final dungeon somewhere around here, but yeah. It's pretty awful.

CorvoSol

Okay, I'm obviously missing something in terms of context here. Hahahahaha. Ohhhh... I think I get it.

I think I wrote up a few posts about why I genuinely disliked the final dungeon somewhere around here, but yeah. It's pretty awful.

I'll give you a hint: it happens like clockwork in every FF thread.

I thought I was prepared for anything, I was wrong.

Let me know when you finish it, because oh man I hope your reaction is akin to mine.

Top Bottom