• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

4u3985uzx.gif

Boba Fett is the most deep character ever made, all the prequel characters suck. Lucas ruined Star Wars ever since he started doing the designs!

I know where this is going, but you can't deny that people insisting that the Prequel Anakin is the best character ever and a total God and people who dislike him do so because they dislike change is just grating.

None of this is helped by the fact that the Prequels legit suck compared to the OT.

But I have specially made avatars of body parts of Anakin other than his face if you want those. Just have to PM me.

That stupid platforming sequence was disgustingly awful. The only thing that kept me going was my amusement at tossing Mog across impossibly long distances.

CorvoSol

i5XIkjCms7cvd.gif

Noel's "revelation" was the best part.

My favorite part is
the "choice" you make at the end of the game. Because whether you choose to save or slay Caius, that scene plays EXACTLY the same way. It's a metaphor for the entire game, you see, because no matter what your party does, Hope's meddling ensures that the future will play out exactly the way it would without him. Which makes the whole "I killed the Goddess!" scene stupid like no other, because Noel tries to save Caius, and Caius kills himself, killing the Goddess. Which in turn makes the whole plot make no sense, because I mean, why didn't Caius just stab himself if killing the Goddess was his goal, and in the end all he was gonna do was stab himself in the end when it was more dramatic?

Game's ending is a disaster.

Noi

Gonna hit up the FF panel at PAX on Friday, see what this ARR dealio is all about.

(Bringing tomatoes at Schala's request.)

My favorite part is
the "choice" you make at the end of the game. Because whether you choose to save or slay Caius, that scene plays EXACTLY the same way. It's a metaphor for the entire game, you see, because no matter what your party does, Hope's meddling ensures that the future will play out exactly the way it would without him. Which makes the whole "I killed the Goddess!" scene stupid like no other, because Noel tries to save Caius, and Caius kills himself, killing the Goddess. Which in turn makes the whole plot make no sense, because I mean, why didn't Caius just stab himself if killing the Goddess was his goal, and in the end all he was gonna do was stab himself in the end when it was more dramatic?

Game's ending is a disaster.
Caius couldn't kill himself. Why he didn't jump on Noel's sword sooner is the real stupid part.

Gonna hit up the FF panel at PAX on Friday, see what this ARR dealio is all about.

Gonna hope, for everyone's sake, that it won't be as boring as SE's ARR event at PAX Prime '12. At least I left with a cool FF poster.

CorvoSol

Caius couldn't kill himself. Why he didn't jump on Noel's sword sooner is the real stupid part.

But he does kill himself. Noel's hands are on that sword only to try and stop Caius. If someone grabs my gun and shoots himself in the head, and I'm trying to stop him, did I kill him, or did he kill himself?

Riposte

When you use an item (like a Phoenix Down), what would be the most iconic phrase from the series when it is telling you back your action. e.g. "X uses Y on Z"?

But he does kill himself. Noel's hands are on that sword only to try and stop Caius. If someone grabs my gun and shoots himself in the head, and I'm trying to stop him, did I kill him, or did he kill himself?
I don't disagree with you, but by the logic of the story it was technically Noel who killed him. Only a potential Guardian can kill a Guardian, Caius is immortal otherwise.

Magic logic and shit.

CorvoSol

I don't disagree with you, but by the logic of the story it was technically Noel who killed him. Only a potential Guardian can kill a Guardian, Caius is immortal otherwise.

Magic logic and shit.

Don't even act like it makes sense in any context, Femmeworth. We all know the game's ending is a trainwreck that invalidates everything done and established in both games.

It is, hands down, the worst ending to a Final Fantasy game ever.

And while I have no real actual beef with the song, Charice's song makes no damn sense in that scene at all.

Yeah, I guess we're gonna see the new world, inasmuch as that world is DEATH.

Wazzy

Banned
I want an FFVIII remake just 'cause I hope they get Will Friedle for Seifer again.
He did a pretty good job. I would hope he would make it a little deeper if he ever voiced Seifer again.

Speaking of VIII voice actors, I can't be the only one that thinks Doug Erholtz sounds terrible as Squall? He's so emoitionless and boring. I much preferred David Boreanaz.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

If you see Toriyama...

Please...

Sucker punch him for me will ya. That's a love message for him from us Final Fantasy fans.

Labadal

Made a youtube playlist with video game songs I can listen to at work. I'm listening to it as I write this and I have to say that the Type-0 music is amazing. It's not the first time I listen to it, but I just never get tired of it.

XIII-2

Well, I have every fragment other than the stupid slot machine one. Whoever decided that forcing the player to grind at a slot machine was a good idea should be shot.

Edit: Watched the secret ending... that was not worth the effort as expected. *Toriyama is grinning somewhere*

Noi

Gonna hope, for everyone's sake, that it won't be as boring as SE's ARR event at PAX Prime '12. At least I left with a cool FF poster.

If you see Toriyama...

Please...

Sucker punch him for me will ya. That's a love message for him from us Final Fantasy fans.

The panel was pretty cool, got to see some neat ARR/XI expansion concept art, had a timeline overview of the whole series, a video message from Yoshida (who couldn't make it cause they're busy with the game, but will be at PAX Prime and E3). They also showed off gamepad UI, which looked really nice and responsive.

Some of the concept stuff they showed. Some of it may be old, but it was all new to me cause I hadn't been keeping track of the game:

It was mostly XI/XIV related, so of course Toriyama wasn't there (unfortunately). The only LR related stuff at PAX was a brief mention of it during the panel, the free poster they were giving out at the exhibition floor booth (after you either logged in or made an SE members account) and playing the shit-tacular poor framerate trailer on their big screen demo reels, making it look even worse.

XIII-2

Well, I have every fragment other than the stupid slot machine one. Whoever decided that forcing the player to grind at a slot machine was a good idea should be shot.

Edit: Watched the secret ending... that was not worth the effort as expected. *Toriyama is grinning somewhere*

Honestly I found it kind of clever.

It was basically a message saying "You thought by picking up useless trinkets you would somehow get a happy ending? Welcome to the real world fucker! I won you lost, go cry about it."

It was basically a message saying "You thought by picking up useless trinkets you would somehow get a happy ending? Welcome to the real world fucker! I won you lost, go cry about it."
Means little since Lightning Returns will most likely let the player choose a happy ending, going by X-2. Toriyama can't stick to his guns for very long.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi... That Chocobo costume is still awful, and you've showed it to me twice already. And it's still awful the third time.

Awful.

Ick.

Means little since Lightning Returns will most likely let the player choose a happy ending, going by X-2. Toriyama can't stick to his guns for very long.

Yeah...the best thing about LR is that it will finally be over.

The Dark Days are coming to an end.

Man A Realm Reborn is playing that nostalgia card haaaard.

CorvoSol

8586991573_9796596321_z.jpg

Warrior of Light is making a comeback, huh?

Much as I like that armor, I wish it was the red NES alt from Dissidia gaining publicity. That's the best WoL.

I thought it was ridiculous because it basically meant that the developers and the game itself were huge liars.

FIRST because Toriyama claimed this game was to get Lightning a happy ending (which, unless happiness is completely redefined, it did the opposite of) and second, because the game repeats the mantra of "Change the Future" about a million times, but when the game ends? YOU DID NOT CHANGE THE FUTURE, aside from bringing HOPE to it.

Otherwise, everything played out exactly the way Noel said it would in the end.
Cocoon falls, the world is destroyed, humanity is doomed, and oh yeah, the Seeress died.
But hey, that's what I get for trying to make the ending make sense, I guess.

Man A Realm Reborn is playing that nostalgia card haaaard.
How else are they going to make up all that money?
I thought it was ridiculous because it basically meant that the developers and the game itself were huge liars.

FIRST because Toriyama claimed this game was to get Lightning a happy ending (which, unless happiness is completely redefined, it did the opposite of) and second, because the game repeats the mantra of "Change the Future" about a million times, but when the game ends? YOU DID NOT CHANGE THE FUTURE, aside from bringing HOPE to it.

Otherwise, everything played out exactly the way Noel said it would in the end.
Cocoon falls, the world is destroyed, humanity is doomed, and oh yeah, the Seeress died.
But hey, that's what I get for trying to make the ending make sense, I guess.
It's interesting how XIII-2 totally contradicts the message of XIII. If Toriyama was more competent, I would almost believe it was intentional.

Pfft, taking small risks? Who does that? Let's pump even more money into a failed project.

This is the thing...do people really give a damn about FFXIV?

I know I don't, but that's because I don't like MMOs.

Will all the FFXI folks move on to ARR? They still seem to want to play XI even after a whole damn decade(I will never understand this).

Will all this pay off in the end? I guess only time will tell.

jaxword

This is the thing...do people really give a damn about FFXIV?

I know I don't, but that's because I don't like MMOs.

Will all the FFXI folks move on to ARR? They still seem to want to play XI even after a whole damn decade(I will never understand this).

Will all this pay off in the end? I guess only time will tell.

Wada is a numbers man, so since FF11 is still the best selling FF of all time, they want to make lightning strike twice.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Toriyama geets weekly fan mail from certain crazies on the interwebs and thinks that he already has made lightning strike twice for that very reason.

If only he realized that the fan mail was written by his own co-workers so that he wouldn't become depressed.

CorvoSol

If only he realized that the fan mail was written by his own co-workers so that he wouldn't become depressed.

Toriyama-kun, I think Lightning-chan is kawaii desu~ uguu~~.

No wait, internet nutjobs always call him Toriyama-sama. It's the hallmark of their insanity.

jaxword

Yet they released another expansion for XI.

Gotta ride that golden cow until a new one replaces it. If FF14 had taken off, they would have abandoned FF11 and everyone knows it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Toriyama geets weekly fan mail from certain crazies on the interwebs and thinks that he already has made lightning strike twice for that very reason.

Probably. Also remember that Toriyama is part of the S-E Old Boys' Club. When they're doing their weekly hookers 'n sake session, they probably gush over how smart each other are. Why would they care about what a bunch of Americans say?

CorvoSol

Will we ever be cleansed of this filth?

Baptize the whole damn thing with fire. It's the only way.

Probably. Also remember that Toriyama is part of the S-E Old Boys' Club. When they're doing their weekly hookers 'n sake session, they probably gush over how smart each other are. Why would they care about what a bunch of Americans say?

Obviously they don't, which is why they've almost completely stopped selling us anything that's not FF4 or FF13 or can be put on iOS.

Shahed

I just hope once Lightning Returns is out and one away with, we can put this all behind us and move onto (hopefully!) better things

Rinoa

He did a pretty good job. I would hope he would make it a little deeper if he ever voiced Seifer again.

Speaking of VIII voice actors, I can't be the only one that thinks Doug Erholtz sounds terrible as Squall? He's so emoitionless and boring. I much preferred David Boreanaz.

I heard little of Boreanaz and thought he was a good match with the gruff mcgruff JP Squall voice actor (who is also Auron!).

Speaking of real Seifer..

Darryl

Banned
aw man, i found out earlier today that final fantasy radio has shut down and no one has really stepped up to take care of it :(

frequency

aw man, i found out earlier today that final fantasy radio has shut down and no one has really stepped up to take care of it :(

Final Fantasy Radio? With Tebian? He passed on last summer. It was really sad for me.

Some people tried for a little bit to keep everything going. But I guess no one could do what Tebian did.

Top Bottom