• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

I heard little of Boreanaz and thought he was a good match with the gruff mcgruff JP Squall voice actor (who is also Auron!).

Speaking of real Seifer..

That's some good art. Is that modeled after a specific actor?

Coat needs to be a bit longer, though.

Also, you asked for a high rez of the lightsabers above...sorry, haven't got one, I made the gif and that was the best resolution it had. I could try again, though.

Darryl

Banned
Final Fantasy Radio? With Tebian? He passed on last summer. It was really sad for me.

Some people tried for a little bit to keep everything going. But I guess no one could do what Tebian did.

Yea, that's the one. Sad to see a guy so passionate about this stuff go. He kept my interest in Final Fantasy going the past few years.

Rinoa

Final Fantasy Radio? With Tebian? He passed on last summer. It was really sad for me.

Some people tried for a little bit to keep everything going. But I guess no one could do what Tebian did.

Yep, he passed away but people are keeping it up.

There's a Tribute page here
http://www.facebook.com/ATributetoTebian

And you can listen here, though the song/set selections are not as good as his were.
http://finalfantasyradio.co/

That's some good art. Is that modeled after a specific actor?

Coat needs to be a bit longer, though.

Also, you asked for a high rez of the lightsabers above...sorry, haven't got one, I made the gif and that was the best resolution it had. I could try again, though.

Uh, young Darth Vader actor, forget his name lol.

frequency

Yep, he passed away but people are keeping it up.

There's a Tribute page here
http://www.facebook.com/ATributetoTebian

And you can listen here, though the song/set selections are not as good as his were.
http://finalfantasyradio.co/

Oh thank you. I didn't know people were still doing it. I was in his Twitch.tv channel for a while and I think someone tried to keep that going with recorded material. But that stopped.

I don't know if I will listen to this new Final Fantasy Radio. I don't know if it will be the same.

Rinoa

I've listened to FFRadio over the years as I always have radio stations going on my comp while I work, and it's def not the same since the switch. Before, I'd always re-discover an amazing orchestral/remix track or something. Now? At some points it just gets unlistenable and distracting when certain songs are played (like an hour long string of 8bit generation stuff) so I've switched to listening to ambient/trance/yoga type music.

caffeware

Banned
4Gamer interview the pixel artist of the pre-PS era FFs. Can someone translate?

http://www.4gamer.net/games/064/G006480/20130227073/

002.jpg

sonto340

So, I'm one of those freaks that have never played a final fantasy before. I bought 13 when I bought my PS3, and I enjoyed it and 13-2 (I'm fully prepared to catch flack for this). I noticed on the PlayStation Store that all the mainline games up to 9 are there, aside from final fantasy 3.
So I'm going to start my quest to play all the mainline entries (minus maybe 11 and 14) with Final Fantasy Origins. Is origins a faithful port/remake or should i try and hunt down an NES cart for 1?

CorvoSol

I'd suggest either the PSP version or the NES version. PSP is the latest and prettiest version with all the added goodies, but the NES has that painfully high difficulty level some fans love so much.

Started playing through XII again out of a whim. I can't believe how grand in scale it is. The art direction, the cities, the graphics, it's so far ahead of it's time.

jaxword

So, I'm one of those freaks that have never played a final fantasy before. I bought 13 when I bought my PS3, and I enjoyed it and 13-2 (I'm fully prepared to catch flack for this). I noticed on the PlayStation Store that all the mainline games up to 9 are there, aside from final fantasy 3.
So I'm going to start my quest to play all the mainline entries (minus maybe 11 and 14) with Final Fantasy Origins. Is origins a faithful port/remake or should i try and hunt down an NES cart for 1?

The earlier NES games are nigh-unplayable these days. You won't have fun.

Origins is plagued with horrid load times. It's decent for what it is, I guess, as a simple jRPG port.

As suggested, grab the most recent version on the PSP for the LEAST-bad version.

sonto340

The earlier NES games are nigh-unplayable these days. You won't have fun.

Origins is plagued with horrid load times. It's decent for what it is, I guess, as a simple jRPG port.

As suggested, grab the most recent version on the PSP for the LEAST-bad version.
Do you know if the load times in the PSOne classics version are any better or are they still horrendous?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

If I were to recommend the versions:
  • I - PSP because it's more accessible (that is if you still have a PSP with a working UMD) and easier. If you're looking for accessibility, you can go for Origins on PSN (unless you live in EU, there are digital versions of FFI and FFII PSP) but they're kinda... Slow IMO. Also if you have an iOS, FFI is available there (same with II).
  • II - same with FFI.
  • III - The best version is seriously the NES version. If that is inaccessible to you (and I believe this is the case), you can go for the PSP version (only available in digital PSN, unless you're willing to import since it's multilingual). Graphically, the NDS and PSP versions are the same but they added a fast forward auto battle option in the PSP version. I'm just warning you the 3D version of FFIII isn't... That good. There's also the iOS version available (same with the NDS one).
  • IV - I like the PSP version more than the NDS version (I didn't like the graphics) due to content and speed. The PSP version includes TAY and it has a fast forward auto battle option. This seriously improves the game's mandatory grinding parts. You can also opt for the NDS version if you want a 3D experience, I hear it's good (the iOS version is 3D).
  • V - The best version is the GBA version, otherwise you can go for the untranslated SNES version or the PSN PSone version of FFV. However the PSN version of FFV doesn't work on the Vita. It's also the slowest version available.
  • VI - The GBA version is the best followed by the SNES version (I believe you can buy this on the WiiWare). The PSN PSone version is the last resort because it has terrible loading times (3-5 seconds for the menu).
  • VII - PSN PSone version. They also recently rereleased the PC version and it has achievements but it looks less stellar.
  • VIII - PSN PSone version.
  • IX - PSN PSone version.
  • X - I'd wait for the PS3/Vita version since they will include the international content. The PS3 version also includes X-2 so it's a pretty good deal.
  • XII - PS2 version or for better graphics, PCSX2 with widescreen.

I, II, and V-X(+X-2) are playable on PS3. III and IV will require you to get a PSP, Vita, NDS, or iOS (The PSP versions of I and II are also available on iOS). You can either wait for the potential FFXII HD version or get it on the PS2.

Also, I heavily recommend playing 1-3 when you're done with the other FFs. They're not as fun nowadays like what jaxword said.

Celegus

No reason to feel that way, that was in my top 5 games of 2012. Don't feel bad for liking an awesome game.

Tizoc

So I was watching the intro cutscenes to Okami HD and then something clicked:
In the intro cutscene there was Nagi, his beloved and Shiranui, and it reminded me of Amano's concept art for FF7, mainly the artwork of Cloud and Red XIII. in Okami's intro Nagi and Shiranui battle against Orochi, and the two of them reminded me of this-
cloud%20and%20red%20xiii.jpg

Is this linked to Japanese mythology in a way? I only recall Sakaguchi's original concept/idea of FF7, but down the road was utilizing Japanese mythology+cyberpunk intended for FF7?

Tizoc

After beating FF3 on NES...it is an FF I would never play again...

My list of recommended versions of FF games:

FF1+2: iOS or PSP. The PSX ver. is closer to the original NES version's gameplay though
FF4: PSN/PSP and NDS. I personally like both.
FF5: GBA, seek no other alternative.
FF6: GBA=SNES>PSX. If the PSX didn't have the loading issues I'd recommend it
FF7-9: PSX/PSN ver., haven't played FF7 PC.
FFX: Upcoming HD release is promosing

How long are the loadings in FF9 BTW? As long as 6?

After beating FF3 on NES...it is an FF I would never play again...

My list of recommended versions of FF games:

FF1+2: iOS or PSP. The PSX ver. is closer to the original NES version's gameplay though
FF4: PSN/PSP and NDS. I personally like both.
FF5: GBA, seek no other alternative.
FF6: GBA=SNES>PSX. If the PSX didn't have the loading issues I'd recommend it
FF7-9: PSX/PSN ver., haven't played FF7 PC.
FFX: Upcoming HD release is promosing

How long are the loadings in FF9 BTW? As long as 6?

It's not the loading that makes FF9 slow (which is fine, there's nothing too lengthy), it's the game itself. The battle speed is noticeably slower than the previous games, even when you turn the battle speed up in the options menu.

CorvoSol

Why is FF3 better on the NES? Aeana always sings its praises, but never explains why.

FF3 NES is harder in several ways. When you class change in the DS version, you can do it as often as you want, but suffer a temporary stat decrease. In the NES version you have to pay CP to change classes, and I don't recall how you replenish that. Anyway, monsters attack in larger groups, and some of them divide if not hit by a dark sword, meaning you can be facing like, 8 death claws in one go. No quick save, and well, that's all I remember.

People like the NES one because it's harder is my understanding. I like the DS one, and my bro idlethreats gave me the PSP one, which I'll be trying when I have time.

jaxword

Why is FF3 better on the NES? Aeana always sings its praises, but never explains why.

A lot of people prefer the old school game because it is old school.

I found it clunky and unplayable, but then I find all the NES ones the same.

There's also virtually no story, but the DS one makes an halfhearted attempt to create one.

Honestly, the modern versions are just fine, if rather poor jRPGs when compared to the rest of the series.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Comparing the NES and the NDS version... The NES version is faster than the NDS version. I have to see the PSP version, but adding in the auto battle button is a huge plus already.

Aeana

I have thoroughly explained it many times, including in my most recent playthrough in the FF playthrough thread. (Linked here)

FF3 NES is harder in several ways. When you class change in the DS version, you can do it as often as you want, but suffer a temporary stat decrease. In the NES version you have to pay CP to change classes, and I don't recall how you replenish that. Anyway, monsters attack in larger groups, and some of them divide if not hit by a dark sword, meaning you can be facing like, 8 death claws in one go. No quick save, and well, that's all I remember.

People like the NES one because it's harder is my understanding. I like the DS one, and my bro idlethreats gave me the PSP one, which I'll be trying when I have time.

The NES version isn't very difficult. It's actually pretty easy, especially with the total imbalance of ninja and sage, which were totally nerfed in the DS version.

A lot of people prefer the old school game because it is old school.

I found it clunky and unplayable, but then I find all the NES ones the same.

There's also virtually no story, but the DS one makes an halfhearted attempt to create one.

Honestly, the modern versions are just fine, if rather poor jRPGs when compared to the rest of the series.

No, I prefer it because it's faster (this applies to everything, from field movement to battle speed), sounds better, and has more even balance (until the end, at least). It also allows more enemies on screen at once, which allows for more interesting battles, and has a much, much more consistent visual identity than the DS version. The story added in the DS version is barely anything at all, and is only applicable up until you get all of the characters together. Everything after that is completely faithful to the original. FF3's story is lighter, more akin to a Dragon Quest story (which, incidentally, is what it's going for, being a response to DQ3 and all). There are some moments in FF3 which hit me really hard, particularly the fate of one of the characters. And the moment when you transition from one world into the next is one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me, too.

CorvoSol

I have thoroughly explained it many times, including in my most recent playthrough in the FF playthrough thread. (Linked here)

The NES version isn't very difficult. It's actually pretty easy, especially with the total imbalance of ninja and sage, which were totally nerfed in the DS version.

No, I prefer it because it's faster (this applies to everything, from field movement to battle speed), sounds better, and has more even balance (until the end, at least). It also allows more enemies on screen at once, which allows for more interesting battles, and has a much, much more consistent visual identity than the DS version. The story added in the DS version is barely anything at all, and is only applicable up until you get all of the characters together. Everything after that is completely faithful to the original. FF3's story is lighter, more akin to a Dragon Quest story (which, incidentally, is what it's going for, being a response to DQ3 and all). There are some moments in FF3 which hit me really hard, particularly the fate of one of the characters. And the moment when you transition from one world into the next is one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me, too.

Ninja and Sage are balanced out in FF3 NES by the fact that you can't get them till Eureka, though. The Ninja and Sage of FF3 DS aren't so broken because you get them from the Earth Crystal, and they're no longer Super Classes.

Man, from my personal perspective the future of this series is so depressing. The only title I'm looking forward to is an HD remaster. Otherwise...

I don't play MMOs.
I really did not like FFXIII.
I really dislike Kingdom Hearts's battle system.

dang

CorvoSol

Man, from my personal perspective the future of this series is so depressing. The only title I'm looking forward to is an HD remaster. Otherwise...

I don't play MMOs.
I really did not like FFXIII.
I really dislike Kingdom Hearts's battle system.

dang

Well, have you tried some of the more classically geared games? Type-0 and Versus might not be your cup of tea, but, aesthetically displeasing as it is, Dimensions plays like an old-school FFV type, and 4 Heroes of Light and its successor Bravely Default play classically.

I've actually been looking forward to playing Type-0 at some point in the future. From my understanding it has a battle system akin to Crisis Core's, right? But with party members? That would solve like the one main issue I had with CC's battle system. But I really don't want to play through a game I have to resort to consulting a FAQ to be able to understand anything as I don't speak or read Japanese. So I will wait. Likely indefinitely? I dunno.

I had been meaning to play Dimensions for a while but I don't have a suitable device yet.

I really did not like 4 Heroes of Light's autotarget nonsense and as for BDFF, see Type 0 (more hope there though)

Push come to shove I really prefer to play on a console in the first place. From a completely selfish point of view I really hope Versus isn't the big Final Fantasy they plan on revealing at E3 just so I have something else to look forward to on that front.

So like I mentioned in SonicGAF's thread, I recently started playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time. Some of my current thoughts as of right now (up to Disc 2):

- I really, REALLY liked the intro. Probably one of my most favorite intros to a video game. Changing perspectives between Zidane, Vivi, and Steiner was really interesting, and I loved the good humor the story presented itself with the whole play.

- Steiner is awesome.

- Quina is Lickitung meets Kirby meets Mega Man.

- For some reason, despite Zidane having a tail, Garnet is the one who goes Super Sayain when in Trance mode.

- I was really impressed at how long you are on the initial content. For a while it almost felt like the entire game could take place on this single content, and that would have been okay.

- The ability system is neat, I've played some other games with a similar concept (well, one off the top of my head). I like that there is additional uses for equipment outside of statistics this time around.

- I also like the art style. I wish more modern FF games were willing to look like this. Speaking of which, it is interesting to think that this game was released in 2000. This game was literally the face of series at the dawn of the century.

Now I'm playing some more. I have to go to this forest after visiting the dwarves home.

CorvoSol

I've actually been looking forward to playing Type-0 at some point in the future. From my understanding it has a battle system akin to Crisis Core's, right? But with party members? That would solve like the one main issue I had with CC's battle system. But I really don't want to play through a game I have to resort to consulting a FAQ to be able to understand anything as I don't speak or read Japanese. So I will wait. Likely indefinitely? I dunno.

I had been meaning to play Dimensions for a while but I don't have a suitable device yet.

I really did not like 4 Heroes of Light's autotarget nonsense and as for BDFF, see Type 0 (more hope there though)

Push come to shove I really prefer to play on a console in the first place. From a completely selfish point of view I really hope Versus isn't the big Final Fantasy they plan on revealing at E3 just so I have something else to look forward to on that front.

Type-0 does play like Crisis Core, although not identically. You can move around a lot more freely during fights and such. Dimensions is a lot of fun, I play it between classes when I can. I forgot about 4 Heroes of Light's auto-target, though.

As to console, I'm afraid that yeah, console Square is bleak.

The future of gaming must be depressing since everything is going MMO.

Oh absolutely.

Playing through VII for the first time in a while and it's helping me remember why I love the series so much.

You know what they aught to bring back? Submarines. I think VII was the last FF to have one, wasn't it? That opens up an entirely new dimension of exploration to the world and it was a shame it wasn't expanded upon in VIII and IX when it lends itself so well to 3D.

jaxword

Oh absolutely.

Playing through VII for the first time in a while and it's helping me remember why I love the series so much.

You know what they aught to bring back? Submarines. I think VII was the last FF to have one, wasn't it? That opens up an entirely new dimension of exploration to the world and it was a shame it wasn't expanded upon in VIII and IX when it lends itself so well to 3D.

What about FFX?

I get what you mean, not the same world map, but there was still underwater exploration.

Hm... maybe. FFX's underwater sections were more like a direct extension of the rest of the areas--parts were water, parts were land, they're all basically the same (water with a bit of extra controls and a limited party). The submarines in the older FFs were more like you suddenly had a new way to explore a very familiar area--you weren't just flying over them with an airship to expedite processes and reach places you could see but couldn't get to. An entire new world was basically opened up to you that you could only guess at before.

I kind of liked how you get the sub so late in FFVII. I mean, at this point in the game you already have the airship so you think the world is your oyster and then, hey, you can go under (some of) the water too.

Xux

It always bugged me how Goku sounded his age in the DBZ dub.

And what's up with SE getting male voice actors for their young male characters?

Rinoa

On versions I recently played:

PSN FF6 - music sounds really bad and loading/etc is far too slow (installed on disk), seems just like that PSX port from way back

PSN FF7 - quite exact with PSX version but loading doesn't feel faster (installed on disk)

PC FF8 - the graphics look very crisp than PSN/PSX to me

Labadal

Good news:
Got a FFXIV beta invitation.

Bad news:
Forgot my password AND secret question anwser.

Contacted S-E support and they told me to take a picture of a driver's lisence or something similar and send it their way. I'm not comfortable with that option. I guess I'm all out of luck.

LuuKyK

Good news:
Got a FFXIV beta invitation.

Bad news:
Forgot my password AND secret question anwser.

Contacted S-E support and they told me to take a picture of a driver's lisence or something similar and send it their way. I'm not comfortable with that option. I guess I'm all out of luck.

Wow x_x that sucks. Thats probably just to confirm its really you, so if you dont feel comfortable maybe just send a photo with your face covered, just showing basic info? Idk if it will be accepted though.

Also, Im starting to think I will never be invited to this beta :( Well, at least I put the PS3 XIII code so Im hoping I will at least be invited in the next phase. t-t

Top Bottom