• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

Except being an aloof sadist doesn't fit with Sephiroth in FF7 to me. In FF7 he's as much a schemer as the rest. He has his plans, and he very much does not enjoy having them left in the dust.

I dunno, he was just a joke, running around with a flower while the other villains did all the actual villainy.

And I have to disagree with you about FF6. FF6 characters have a good amount of personality, assuming we're talking about the top six/seven of them. Terra, Celes, Locke, Cyan, Sabin, Edgar and Setzer all get as much character development as the casts in 7, 8, or 9.

Sephiroth is totally a sadist in FF7...you may want to replay it. He's constantly laughing and sneering while getting Cloud to do his plan for him while he doesn't have to move a finger.

The development of FF6 is mostly imagined in the player's mind. The characters actually do not interact as much as people think. Most people, for example, think of Cyan and Sabin as war buddies, which was intentional from the developers.

Rinoa

one last nerdy decal..for now

892549_10151680639807652_1196711400_o.jpg

CorvoSol

Sephiroth is totally a sadist in FF7...you may want to replay it. He's constantly laughing and sneering while getting Cloud to do his plan for him while he doesn't have to move a finger.

The development of FF6 is mostly imagined in the player's mind. The characters actually do not interact as much as people think. Most people, for example, think of Cyan and Sabin as war buddies, which was intentional from the developers.

Let me rephrase what I said with emphasis on what I meant: He's not an aloof sadist. Sephiroth is a very busy and involved character, in spite of not being personally present for much of the game. Being sadistic or whatever sure because he's a villain. But aloof doesn't describe him to me.

Outside of VII he's aloof, sure, but IN VII he's a pretty personal character. I just played the game like, three months ago. He's popping up in all sorts of places and he does have to do a fair amount of work himself. Cloud plays into his plan like, twice. Counting Sephiroth clones, he still has to kill all of the VIPs he kills, for instance.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really like Terra but I have to admit the VI characters are sort of lacking in depth like the other games but I still love em all the same.

I'll be honest, the only ones who were awesome were Ultros, Kefka, and Celes.

But yeah, the pre-FFVII games didn't have much character depth. Probably FFIV but I'm not sure.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
are we talking about ff4 in here

because i have some words to share with y--... *gets strangled by CorvoSol*

Yes. I opened a can of worms far worse than FFXIII. :)

CorvoSol

are we talking about ff4 in here

because i have some words to share with y--... *gets strangled by CorvoSol*

DAMN.

STRAIGHT.

AIN'T NOBODY MESSES WITH DELICIOUS SEX-GOD CECIL AND HIS SPACE TRAVELING, DARTH VADER BEING, GUNDAM PILOTING, DRAGON SUMMONING AND OR FUSING, RIGHT HAND SURVIVING BROTHER.

FF4 has so much awesome your favorite FF cannot compete.

aravuus

Anyone here own or have played both the regular FF XII and IZJS version? IZJS worth getting even if I've played the regualr version a few times already?

jaxword

got bored and ripped some ff7 maps cuz i was feeling nostalgic

lIi949H.gif

more here: http://imgur.com/a/shRaP

Thanks for this, it's amazing!

It also kind of emphasizes how, with the advent of the PSX era, the FF towns were so small and cramped. You could sorta get away with that with tiny sprites and you could imagine all these 3-block-tall buildings having lots of people inside. But with detailed towns and homes, it's a little harder to suspend belief that 3 cottages and 5 people make a community.

ULTROS!

You know, I've been thinking. Will FFXIII be considered a great game if the storyline was focused on the world rather than the character development (and tossing in at least a monster arena)?

When I compare it to the other FFs (I'll use FFX here), the focus was on the world (Spira) and the characters' stories grew along with the world and had relevance. In FFXIII's case, the characters' stories were heavily isolated from the world and the game pretty much focused on their personal matters rather than
the true intention of the creation of Cocoon and the War of Transgression

Basically (heavy spoilers):
FFX -
Spira is troubled by Sin and Yuna, as the daughter of the former summoner who vanquished Sin, had a mission to save Spira once more. During the course of the game, the world turns into chaos and cities were ravaged and the faith of the people, especially the cast, start to shake due to the truth being unraveled.

FFXIII -
A Purge has occurred due the activation of l'Cie and chaos erupts. The entire cast of FFXIII became branded and majority of their journey was about personal drama and "why did this happen to me?!?!?" The story kinda starts going forward at the Palamecium. The purpose of Cocoon and the War of Transgression (how Cocoon got a big scar) was either placed in a Datalog or was vaguely explained.

You know, I've been thinking. Will FFXIII be considered a great game if the storyline was focused on the world rather than the character development (and tossing in at least a monster arena)?

You could be on to something here

Focusing the plot on the characters was a disaster primarily because the characters are so...bad. Hope is completely insufferable, on the pantheon of "nails on a chalkboard" annoying JRPG characters this gen with Asbel Lhant and the cast of Star Ocean 4. Snow needs to shut the hell up about Serah. Lightning has all the personality of a pebble, by the time she actually got some semblance of character development I was only half paying attention to the dialogue. That's only to begin with.

That said, what plot we did get is bonkers, absolutely bonkers. Motomu Toriyama trying way too hard to be deep/meta and ending up with a story so unbelievably convoluted that even the fans (those who bother to read the compendiums) have absolutely no idea what's going on.
People complain about Kingdom Hearts but XIII's story telling is an absolute train wreck, a textbook example of fantasy babble filler and trope-esque wangst from characters trapped in a World the player knows (and cares) very little about at all.

Perhaps if they turned the order round and focused more on expanding the World, the setting and over-arching plot points then the game would have been far better received. It certainly would have helped for me.

SougoXIII

I highly doubt it ULTROS, a shitty writer will spew out turds no matter what he'll focus on. The characters in FFXIII just got the short end of the stick.

Hell, if we want evidence of what happens when Toriyama focuses on the world and lore, we need to look no further than Etro in FFXIII-2.

Vashetti

Banned
What, why was I not subscribed to this thread?!

With FFX/X-2 and KH1.5 Remasters on the way, do you think we'll see FFXII HD in the future?

I'd love to see it on PS4 because FFXII deserves at least 1080p with some decent AA.

After KH2.5 inevitably releases on PS3, would it be too late in the PS3's life to release another PS2 port and instead get it on running on the PS4?

jaxword

What, why was I not subscribed to this thread?!

With FFX/X-2 and KH1.5 Remasters on the way, do you think we'll see FFXII HD in the future?

Probably in a few years, yeah. But don't hold your breath, the industry can change. FF15 will determine a lot for S-E in the next generation.

I wager the entire reason they are pushing these remasters is that they need some guaranteed sellers after the FF14 debacle.

Rinoa

Wow. This is one of those pictures that sums up why that era of gaming was unique.

I just got to the lifestream flashback sequences and there's a FMV of Tifa's house through the window and goddamn, I forgot there's so much detail and character in FF7 locations.

I always liked how "lived in" the locations looked in FFVII. Probably one of the few games where almost every house and inn had a bathroom.

Emitan

Considering the fact that I love XIII (I really don't know why I like the game so much and totally understand the hate it gets) I thought I would enjoy XIII-2. I finally beat the game today and I was really disappointed.

Why did they nerf all the classes so badly? Where are Haste and Slow and Bravery and Faith? Oh sorry you have to grind monsters for those abilities! And why does only Noel get Cura? The physical attacker is a better healer than the mage? Okay!?

The game's plot makes XIII look straightforward. I felt like I was just wandering around for half the game until eventually I was given a purpose. The game likes to not give you a clear indication of where to go. I get that time travel is hard but I don't remember having any issues with games like Chrono Trigger.

Considering the fact that I love XIII (I really don't know why I like the game so much and totally understand the hate it gets) I thought I would enjoy XIII-2. I finally beat the game today and I was really disappointed.

Why did they nerf all the classes so badly? Where are Haste and Slow and Bravery and Faith? Oh sorry you have to grind monsters for those abilities! And why does only Noel get Cura? The physical attacker is a better healer than the mage? Okay!?

The game's plot makes XIII look straightforward. I felt like I was just wandering around for half the game until eventually I was given a purpose. The game likes to not give you a clear indication of where to go. I get that time travel is hard but I don't remember having any issues with games like Chrono Trigger.
37106356.jpg

Toriyama'd

Emitan

The worst part is that I think Lightning Returns sounds really great from a gameplay perspective and I'm probably buying it day one :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm gonna wait until a demo is released because I don't like what I've seen so far. There are only so many things that previews can say that can sound enticing, but I won't know how these things the previews are talking about are going to be executed in the long run in the final product. Not until I take it for a spin in demo form.

But at the moment, this is going to be the first non-MMO FF game since FF7 PC that I will not Day One. And that is truly disappointing to me.

Emitan

Oh did I forget to mention Academia 500 AF?

You know what this game needed? A FUCKING PLATFORMING DUNGEON

Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why.

Trying to time a jump and some enemy attacks you and then you have to fight. You exit the battle and are too disoriented to make the jump, you fall, do the section over. This is so bad.

At least the traversal elements in LR actually look decent and not totally half assed. Why was there even a jump button? The first game jumped for you! Aside from the final dungeon you never needed to manually jump!

Oh did I forget to mention Academia 500 AF?

You know what this game needed? A FUCKING PLATFORMING DUNGEON

Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why.

Trying to time a jump and some enemy attacks you and then you have to fight. You exit the battle and are too disoriented to make the jump, you fall, do the section over. This is so bad.

At least the traversal elements in LR actually look decent and not totally half assed. Why was there even a jump button? The first game jumped for you! Aside from the final dungeon you never needed to manually jump!

I'm pretty sure they added a jump button because people complained that you couldn't free-jump in 13...

Stupid reason, but not a surprising one I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's a disaster of a platforming section anyway. Very poor level design that killed my desire for a Final Fantasy platformer right then and there.

Emitan

It's a disaster of a platforming section anyway. Very poor level design that killed my desire for a Final Fantasy platformer right then and there.

I wouldn't mind it if they did it right and it was just a thing they used sparingly. This is very very very far from "right".

CLBridges

I actually just started a full play through of FF13-2 and it's pretty fun (Started playing when I first got the game, but put it down and never picked it back up for some reason). I'm fairly early, just got the ability to capture monsters and just left the ruins. But, I'm really digging the music and the refined battle system.

I definitely miss a third official party member but the monsters suffice. I liked FF13 for what it was. I think I'm one of the few who actually didn't initially like the fact that FF13 suddenly opened up at Chapter 11, but I had fun. I did complete FF13 and look forward to finishing FF13-2 before Lightning Returns.

CorvoSol

I like XIII, also, and while I enjoyed that XIII-2 took itself less seriously, the plot of that game is so much worse than XIII.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The problem with XIII–2's story is that is coming really from nowhere... doesn't even resemble XIII's universe anymore. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to LR, for now it seems one of the most ambitious games Square Enix talked about in a decade -.-'

CorvoSol

The problem with XIII–2's story is that is coming really from nowhere... doesn't even resemble XIII's universe anymore. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to LR, for now it seems one of the most ambitious games Square Enix talked about in a decade -.-'

That's half of its problem, the other half is the ending takes a gigantic shit on anything you may have even remotely liked about either game so far.

I'm not hype about LR at all anymore. I'll play it, but I cannot get it up for a console Square Game. I'm not even Excited for Please Be Excited anymore. Especially not with the whole "Oh hey by the way that one PSP game you were excited for is NEVER COMING OUT IN AMERICA."

aravuus

I'm not excited about LR at all, in fact, I don't even know shit about it, but I'll probably end up buying it since I really seem to have nothing to play.

frequency

I thought Noel, Serah, Caius, and Yuel were excellent. And since character/story is everything to me, that made FFXIII-2 a very good game for me despite the weaker gameplay.

I am "media blackout" of Lightning Returns so I have no idea how it looks. I guess I'm one of the few remaining faithful that buys Square blindly.

aravuus

I personally liked FF VIII's and IX's areas and art direction a lot more than FF VII's but I guess that's just me. The only thing that makes those areas iconic to me is the fact that I've played and finished the game a ton of times so I really remember every place.

Isaccard

For the life of me I can not find find Final Fantasy IV (DS) new or used for a reasonable price anywhere online.

The ones that are selling it are selling it with just the game cart by itself -_-

Vashetti

Banned
For the life of me I can not find find Final Fantasy IV (DS) new or used for a reasonable price anywhere online.

The ones that are selling it are selling it with just the game cart by itself -_-

Aha!

I keep checking eBay every day so I can finish off my Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy DS collection.

Have:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV

Need:

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded*
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2*
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time*
FF: The 4 Heroes of Light