• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

For the life of me I can not find find Final Fantasy IV (DS) new or used for a reasonable price anywhere online.

The ones that are selling it are selling it with just the game cart by itself -_-

Holy wowzers. I bought this game for like, 10 or 20 bucks off Amazon at Christmastime. Now it is like, nearly 60. DAMN.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like my new avatar.

mattp

weird bit of trivia: when i was going through the field files for ff8 i noticed a bunch of the maps have the npc 3d models pre-rendered into them. just shows how little power the developers were working with. even having a few extra npcs on screen probably wasn't possible to do with the ps1

example:
F4Vqmu6.png

I was going through some of the old soundtracks of the series.... god why the hell did SE took out (The Prelude) and (FF main theme) AND (The fanfare victory) out of the FFXIII games?

Will we ever get these back again with Versus and XV?

IMO these represent a huge part of the spirit of the franchise... and it's not ever the same without them :\

Heropon

I was going through some of the old soundtracks of the series.... god why the hell did SE took out (The Prelude) and (FF main theme) AND (The fanfare victory) out of the FFXIII games?

IMO these represent a huge part of the spirit of the franchise... and it's not ever the same without them :\

Toriyama must hate them or something, they weren't in FFX-2 either. One more reason to lock him in the basement. :p

KmA

That's half of its problem, the other half is the ending takes a gigantic shit on anything you may have even remotely liked about either game so far.

I'm not hype about LR at all anymore. I'll play it, but I cannot get it up for a console Square Game. I'm not even Excited for Please Be Excited anymore. Especially not with the whole "Oh hey by the way that one PSP game you were excited for is NEVER COMING OUT IN AMERICA."

This is one thing I cannot agree on.
FFXIII-2 does one thing right, present the theme of how trying to mess with the timeline never works. And the ending drives that point home.
I do admit it felt like a cheap way to end the game but still, there was meaning behind it.

CorvoSol

This is one thing I cannot agree on.
FFXIII-2 does one thing right, present the theme of how trying to mess with the timeline never works. And the ending drives that point home.
I do admit it felt like a cheap way to end the game but still, there was meaning behind it.

Yeah, no, the ending is horrible and awful and I do not agree with your assessment of the game's theme. The game BEATS YOU OVER THE HEAD with the phrase "Change the future to change the past." In the end, you do NOT change the future (Hope does, I guess), and you don't even go back to the past. NONE of your choices matter in the game, in spite of the game telling you ALL THE FUCKING TIME THAT YOU MUST CHANGE THINGS, most notably
the end of the game, when Noel's decision literally has no effect on the ensuing scenes.

Moreover, all efforts in XIII are utterly swept aside at the end of the game for no fucking reason whatsoever.
SOMEHOW Cocoon is just gonna fall now, even though it is NEVER brought up at the end of XIII, or even considered it possible.

Hell, for TWO GAMES you fight to make sure that fucking ball stays in the air and then
it falls anyway, and why? NO REASON. NONE. NOTHING. It's a globe which hung for 13,000 years, and was then covered and upheld by a pillar of solid crystal. Crystal doesn't erode fast enough to fall apart in 500 years time, and the materials inside are adhered to it. THERE IS NO GODDAMN REASON THAT FUCKING ORB SHOULD HAVE FALLEN. Nevermind that Hope had 500 years to figure out a way to stop it and instead he's like "Fuck it I quit" and spends them fucking a guy inside a time capsule instead. NEVERMIND that all the efforts in both XIII and XIII-2 that aren't about preventing Cocoon from falling are about saving Serah, and what happens? Serah dies! And why? NO FUCKING REASON. You're told that changing the future will short circuit her head and make her die, except you DON'T CHANGE THE FUTURE. You kill Caius OUTSIDE OF THE FLOW OF TIME, so nothing you do there should have ANY effect on the flow of time at all, but more importantly COCOON STILL FALLS, so nothing that Serah and Noel have done there should have triggered anything that causes her head to short out, but it STILL DOES.

Not to mention the game explains the villains motives as "A Goddess saved your team during that unexplained rescue in the first game, but that basically had no side effect other than making some girl die, and this guy doesn't like that, but rather than do anything about it, he stood by and let the Goddess twist time or whatever knowing full well what was going to happen." And let's not forget "All that Caius needs to win is to have his heart stabbed, which he could have done at any time, and DOES DO at the end of the game." Don't you DARE tell me Noel did it, because no he fucking did not. Noel's hand was only on that sword to try and STOP Caius. If my hand is on a noose I'm trying to loosen as you attempt to hang yourself, I'm not responsible for your death. If my had is on a gun I'm trying to wrench from yours as you shoot yourself in the head, I'm not responsible for your death.

XIII-2 is a colossal fuck up of a story, its theme, that you CAN change the future, is utterly shat on by its ending, which also shits upon every effort the player has made unto that point for two games, and also upon the first game's theme, that fate can be altered and fought.

It is, without a doubt, irrefutably, undeniably, and unalterably the single worst story in the entire Final Fantasy franchise, and to suggest otherwise is to sleight and insult other, better games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I agree with CorvoSol, the plot of XIII-2 is putrid and the worse of any FF I played. I beat the game despite it because I was enjoying the gameplay and Noel + Serah enough, but I dreaded any time a cutscene started that involved Hope and that other chick, Lightning or the overly-dramatic-and-cryptic-for-the-sake-of-it Caius.

Hopefully Lightning's Return has a story I can feel indifferent about like it was the case in XIII for the most part, but I'm not expecting much.

aravuus

I hated XIII-2's story but I thought the ending was the best part of it. Go figure.

It's just your inner sadist, enjoying the sight of arghstfu-level annoying protagonists losing. Really, that's why I liked it. There have been many cases where the linearity of a JRPG story has ruined a lot for me - for example, Xenoblade, with
one of the main characters I really wanted to stay dead coming back alive and huehue everything's happiness
- but when stuff like this happens, it feels sooooo good. Other than that, the story was absolute shit.

Surprisingly, I really liked the gameplay. It had a few annoying things here and there, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. A part of it might have been the easiness of it all, the game offered zero challenge and I personally thought killing every single mob with absolutely no problem felt really really good for a change. I've been playing pretty difficult games recently, after all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think the combination of doing playthroughs of FF games in the FF anniversary thread and all of the circumstances and conversations surrounding the FF13 games (including Type-0) effectively killed my interest in the series (or at least new games in the series) at this point in time.

I honestly think I've forgotten what exactly I liked about the series first and foremost. Perhaps it was customization and micromanagement, after all. Those are the FF games I generally like anyway (3, 5, 10-2, IZJS). Thinking about the reasons why I played a lot of RPGs when I was a kid, I always liked levelling people up and getting more skills for them. I liked getting new weapons and equippin' them to my heart's content. I liked accumulating points--whether it's ability points or XP. I used to go into the status screen and do the math for when I'd level up or get a new skill (ie: after x many battles against this enemy formation or this enemy formation, I'll level up or get this new ability!).

So I guess I didn't really play them for the story at all. Story was a plus, but that wasn't the reason now that I go back and think about it.

Muntu said:
A part of it might have been the easiness of it all, the game offered zero challenge and I personally thought killing every single mob with absolutely no problem felt really really good for a change. I've been playing pretty difficult games recently, after all.
This was my biggest gripe with the game. Ha ha. I like higher difficulty in games, though. It's my bread and butter at times (heck, my first two games were Battletoads and Mega Man 2, so...). Getting a high challenge and trying to work your way through it. Taking multiple attempts to. And then finally getting it done? It's incredibly satisfying. Games being easy turns into a snoozefest for me. That's why I don't like grinding now. Grinds take the fun out of everything for me.

Different strokes, I guess.

Seda

Perhaps it was customization and micromanagement, after all. Those are the FF games I generally like anyway (3, 5, 10-2, IZJS). Thinking about the reasons why I played a lot of RPGs when I was a kid, I always liked levelling people up and getting more skills for them. I liked getting new weapons and equippin' them to my heart's content. I liked accumulating points--whether it's ability points or XP. I used to go into the status screen and do the math for when I'd level up or get a new skill (ie: after x many battles against this enemy formation or this enemy formation, I'll level up or get this new ability!).

This is me.

CorvoSol

I think the combination of doing playthroughs of FF games in the FF anniversary thread and all of the circumstances and conversations surrounding the FF13 games (including Type-0) effectively killed my interest in the series (or at least new games in the series) at this point in time.

I honestly think I've forgotten what exactly I liked about the series first and foremost. Perhaps it was customization and micromanagement, after all. Those are the FF games I generally like anyway (3, 5, 10-2, IZJS). Thinking about the reasons why I played a lot of RPGs when I was a kid, I always liked levelling people up and getting more skills for them. I liked getting new weapons and equippin' them to my heart's content. I liked accumulating points--whether it's ability points or XP. I used to go into the status screen and do the math for when I'd level up or get a new skill (ie: after x many battles against this enemy formation or this enemy formation, I'll level up or get this new ability!).

So I guess I didn't really play them for the story at all. Story was a plus, but that wasn't the reason now that I go back and think about it.

This was my biggest gripe with the game. Ha ha. I like higher difficulty in games, though. It's my bread and butter at times (heck, my first two games were Battletoads and Mega Man 2, so...). Getting a high challenge and trying to work your way through it. Taking multiple attempts to. And then finally getting it done? It's incredibly satisfying. Games being easy turns into a snoozefest for me. That's why I don't like grinding now. Grinds take the fun out of everything for me.

Type-0 is still an amazing and awesome game. Plenty of character customization to go around. I'll agree that I despise grinding, and I often don't like the ATB anymore, because it moves so damn slow, and that's why I've moved on to SRPGs (FFT, TO, FE, SRW) and ARPGs, but I'm still enjoying my play through the series. FF9's battles are slow as HELL and Tetra Master's no Triple Triad, but since I'm only playing one FF of this style, it doesn't weigh on me.

I definitely am feeling a bit burned out on the series, but I still feel that classic FFs did something modern JRPGs are fucking up to a hilarious degree: letting you control the battle. In FF9 I can pick what I want each of my 4 in battle party members do every turn. In Xenoblade I can't decide when Shulk attacks. Now, I'm enjoying Xenoblade quite a bit, but I feel that it is a good example of how the modern JRPG, in a quest to be different from the old DQ/FF formulas, has sacrificed part of what made JRPGs enjoyable to begin with. Battles aren't fully controlled by the player, and customization is in some places kept to a minimum when it should not be. XIII and XIII-2 are prime examples of this.

It is, in fact, the only thing that has me Excite for Please Be Excited: that the battle system might be more like KH and less like XIII.

Heropon

It is, in fact, the only thing that has me Excite for Please Be Excited: that the battle system might be more like KH and less like XIII.

That's just why I don't care about that game at all, I despised KH and its evil camera with all my heart. The worst thing is that I have KH2 and BbS bought and I can't "play" them because I can't stomach the first game. Thank goodness I didn't spend too much money in them.

CorvoSol

That's just why I don't care about that game at all, I despised KH and its evil camera with all my heart. The worst thing is that I have KH2 and BbS bought and I can't "play" them because I can't stomach the first game. Thank goodness I didn't spend too much money in them.

KH2 actually fixes KH1's camera, and while BBS suffers the same camera problems all PS1 games do, it has the best combat in the series.

But the point is, I'm only even marginally excited for Please Be Excited because it's going to be an ARPG. If it turns out okay, then at least 2/5 of the FNC won't have been utter shit.

Not like, you know, the flagship titles, XIII, XIII-2, and the most likely awful XIII-LR

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wait, I haven't been keeping up but did we get some confirmation that Please Be Excited had to do with Versus or is this speculation/joking? Still super insterested in that one regardless of anything.

Seda

Wait, I haven't been keeping up but did we get some confirmation that Please Be Excited had to do with Versus or is this speculation/joking? Still super insterested in that one regardless of anything.

I believe all that was said was "a new Final Fantasy title."

Heropon

Not like, you know, the flagship titles, XIII, XIII-2, and the most likely awful XIII-LR

I literally forgot about LR until like yesterday. This time it's going to be pretty easy for me to buy it cheap instead of day one like XIII-2. Thanks Square Enix for being concerned over my wallet.

Edit: I think I should buy the KH 1.5 ReMix (What a convoluted name, typical KH) one day, I heard it solves the camera problems?

CorvoSol

I just use Please Be Excited as the new name for Versus XIII, since everyone says that every time it is brought up anyway, might as well just CALL it that.

I literally forgot about LR until like yesterday. This time it's going to be pretty easy for me to buy it cheap instead of day one like XIII-2. Thanks Square Enix for being concerned over my wallet.

Edit: I think I should buy the KH 1.5 ReMix (What a convoluted name, typical KH) one day, I heard it solves the camera problems?

Square doesn't know how to make money. That's why they sell 20 dollar apps with iaps, and they never advertise their other games and don't localize things that could and would make money.

And I don't know about KH 1.5, I just know that from 2 onward, the camera problem was gone.

aravuus

I usually agree, too easy games get boring really quick and hard games, like Dragon's Dogma, can be really, really addicting. JRPGs are a weird exception for me, I don't mind if they are easy from the start, but what I really like is if they are hard in the beginning, but grinding and/or exploiting is possible.

I like to take a few hours aside and just grind and break the game in every possible way, either trying to find exploits myself or just checking stuff online. I've never played FF VII without getting that beta blue magic, I always spend more time breaking the game with triple triads in FF VIII than actually fighting and so on.

FF XIII-2 kind of skipped the grinding part but was still fun :V

weird bit of trivia: when i was going through the field files for ff8 i noticed a bunch of the maps have the npc 3d models pre-rendered into them. just shows how little power the developers were working with. even having a few extra npcs on screen probably wasn't possible to do with the ps1

example:
F4Vqmu6.png

Ha, I only noticed that they couldn't move!

Vashetti

Banned
Final Fantasy II (Wonderswan) and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings just came in the post.

Final Fantasy II is in immaculate condition. I am so pleased, got it cheap too!

Revenant Wings is eh... bit rough on the cover. So now I'm going to have to replace that :(

Edit: So started Revenant Wings and I'm disappointed that Vaan and Penelo are still slumming about. Surely Ashe would have rewarded them with riches?

"My name is Ultima... I am power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form... Feeble creatures of flesh... Your time is nigh!"

"I'm Atma... ... Left here since the birth... Forgotten in the river of time... I've had eternity to... Ponder the meaning of things... And now I have an answer... "

Ultima and Atma are so fucking cool.

Teknoman

I'm glad they brought it back for XIV. Prelude is the title screen and fanfare when you achieve something really big.

Soon I think i'm going to end up diving into FF III Famicom version (the actual cartridge), but i'm going to have to find someone who can just switch/patch or whatever the translated version.

Dont think i'd want to try FF II NES since I wasnt that hot on the Origins or DoS version. Been having FF 1 NES for a very long time now...but not sure if I could make it through that lol.

Emitan

Are new threads going to be made for Lightning Returns news? Seems like they're just going to get trolled until people are banned or the thread is locked.

Are new threads going to be made for Lightning Returns news? Seems like they're just going to get trolled until people are banned or the thread is locked.

There should be enough people interested in the game for new threads. We need some new media. I think they're letting the game out to dry. If they don't show it until E3, where we assume they're going to show a new FF game for the PS4, it might be entirely overshadowed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

New threads for new news. The last thread was locked because people weren't even discussing the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
E3 countdown for Sony's obvious Final Fantasy XV showing (unless Microsoft pulls another betrayalton).

NBBAjYs.png

Top Bottom