• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like II for similar reasons.

Meanwhile I'm the only one who doesn't like FF6. But it's ok, it means I get plenty of time by myself.
I don't think FF6 is completely hot stuff either, Beef. I don't like the Esper system very much, and I think there're only a handful of characters that I genuinely like in that game.

To be fair, you can get through FF6 easily without using the Espers as intended (ex: to level up certain stats), so it really doesn't matter what you do with respect to levelling your characters up or choosing which abilities they should learn/use.

FF6 is a masterpiece to me...but every year, I find 9 inching closer and closer to being my absolute favorite Final Fantasy game...it's just as I get older, I seem to appreciate the world of IX more and more. But I can never hated on VI...it was my first RPG, too many good memories of it.

IX would probably be my favorite game if the ATB wasn't so slow. It's the main reason I haven't ever replayed it, which sucks, since I actually do love the characters and world.

Jrmint

It's great not to be the only person who doesn't like FF4 around here these days.
Could I ask why? It's personally my favorite in the series.

I think the character development was so far ahead of it's time. I never cared for characters more in a game up till that point than I did in IV.

Also it had the perfect difficulty level I felt.

Aeana

Could I ask why? It's personally my favorite in the series.

I think the character development was so far ahead of it's time. I never cared for characters more in a game up till that point than I did in IV.

Also it had the perfect difficulty level I felt.
Like I mentioned, the things that people view as 4 having done first were actually done first by 2. I can understand English gamers having super nostalgia for 4 because it was the second FF game they got. I just think the way characters are handled in 4 is completely insanely stupid with all of the life forfeiting going on. Plus I hate that it doesn't have any sort of character development system at all. And that's also why I actually do like the DS version.

CorvoSol

Like I mentioned, the things that people view as 4 having done first were actually done first by 2. I can understand English gamers having super nostalgia for 4 because it was the second FF game they got. I just think the way characters are handled in 4 is completely insanely stupid with all of the life forfeiting going on. Plus I hate that it doesn't have any sort of character development system at all. And that's also why I actually do like the DS version.

DS version of FF4 does loads to make the whole game feel a lot better.

I should add that my recent playthrough of IX, while showing me it is still a good game, is diminishing somewhat the veneer of greatness it once had. The ATB is ungodly slow, characters remain out of your party and behind in levels and abilities for 3 full discs (this was a complaint I had with Four Heroes of Light, too.), and dungeons have no real depth to them. That said, its still a competent and good game and ages ahead of XIII.

I won't deny half my love for FF4 being nostalgia and another fourth being the game addressing specific things I like (Darth Vader, Giant Robots, Forgiveness and good and evil plots, etc.), but I think that it just is a quintessential Final Fantasy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I couldn't find a decent FFIV illustration and I thought that was from FFIV. :|

I dunno, I like IV. It holds a special place in my heart despite just playing it 2 years ago.

Then again, I like every FF in each of their own special way, even II.

#trufffan

CorvoSol

True. It lets you know how good the rest of the games are because you're playing the worst one.

But it isn't XIII.

I couldn't find a decent FFIV illustration and I thought that was from FFIV. :|

I dunno, I like IV. It holds a special place in my heart despite just playing it 2 years ago.

Then again, I like every FF in each of their own special way, even II.

#trufffan

I'm partial to this one:

I think he drew it around the time that the 2nd best version of the game (GBA) came out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
why u say im not beautiful guys why

cGczqnf.png

jaxword

Meanwhile I'm the only one who doesn't like FF6. But it's ok, it means I get plenty of time by myself.

No, I'm the same.

FF6 was my favorite FF of all time until...well, until the internet. Seeing people endlessly and religiously praise it as the greatest thing of all time and everything since then was inferior...that eventually killed my like for it.

I still like it, and I'll buy the 3d remake, but the obsessive "IT'S PERFECT AND EVERYTHING SINCE THEN IN 20 YEARS IS CRAP" is a little creepy and turned me off it.

Aeana

No, I'm the same.

FF6 was my favorite FF of all time until...well, until the internet. Seeing people endlessly and religiously praise it as the greatest thing of all time and everything since then was inferior...that eventually killed my like for it.

I still like it, and I'll buy the 3d remake, but the obsessive "IT'S PERFECT AND EVERYTHING SINCE THEN IN 20 YEARS IS CRAP" is a little creepy and turned me off it.

Pretty silly that the thing that made you not like the game wasn't the game.

jaxword

Pretty silly that the thing that made you not like the game wasn't the game.

We don't exist in a vacuum, nor are we emotionless robots to ignore all outside influences on our experiences. There are doubtlessly examples of things you would or could potentially enjoy, but the fandom and people associated with it give you a negative impression. I'd say it's silly to act as if one's own experience is completely and totally immune to external forces.

If we didn't care about what other fans thought, none of us would be posting or reading any threads about Final Fantasy.

Aeana

We don't exist in a vacuum, nor are we emotionless robots to ignore all outside influences on our experiences. There are doubtlessly examples of things you would or could potentially enjoy, but the fandom and people associated with it give you a negative impression. I'd say it's silly to act as if one's own experience is completely and totally immune to external forces.

If we didn't care about what other fans thought, none of us would be posting or reading any threads about Final Fantasy.

Nope. If I don't like a fandom, I don't associate with them. That doesn't have anything to do with the thing itself. I can still enjoy it in absence of interaction with fans.

No, I'm the same.

Those people sound crazy. I really love VI but I would never take that viewpoint. The internet will never sour me on my favorite titles. screw that.

jaxword

Nope. If I don't like a fandom, I don't associate with them. That doesn't have anything to do with the thing itself. I can still enjoy it in absence of interaction with fans.

It may have nothing to do with the thing per se, but my enjoyment of it does.

It's like going to a concert and having the crowd be a horrible bunch; it affects the perception of the band, because it's part of the experience.

You may personally be immune to any fandom, but I suspect most people in the world would disagree and say that they are affected by socialization aspects of being a fan. Again, I say that if you (or anyone) truly did not care at all about what the rest of the fandom said, then why bother reading or posting anything to/from them? Their feedback and opinions would legitimately be meaningless and have zero effect. It'd be like watching paint dry.

Those people sound crazy. I really love VI but I would never take that viewpoint. The internet will never sour me on my favorite titles. screw that.

Those people are all over the net...and on GAF. Read the monthly "Rate your favorite FF" threads to find examples.

Just how fandoms work.

It may have nothing to do with the thing per se, but my enjoyment of it does.

It's like going to a concert and having the crowd be a horrible bunch; it affects the perception of the band, because it's part of the experience.

You may personally be immune to any fandom, but I suspect most people in the world would disagree and say that they are affected by socialization aspects of being a fan. Again, I say that if you (or anyone) truly did not care at all about what the rest of the fandom said, then why bother reading or posting anything to/from them? Their feedback and opinions would legitimately be meaningless and have zero effect. It'd be like watching paint dry.

Those people are all over the net...and on GAF. Read the monthly "Rate your favorite FF" threads to find examples.

Just how fandoms work.

Oh I know how the fandoms work and all...I've been a part of them...kinda. Sometimes I don't bother with them but for the most part, I don't really care what the rest of the fandom thinks, I'm gonna like what I like and nothing they can say can tell me otherwise

Seth

FF6 is a masterpiece to me...but every year, I find 9 inching closer and closer to being my absolute favorite Final Fantasy game...it's just as I get older, I seem to appreciate the world of IX more and more. But I can never hated on VI...it was my first RPG, too many good memories of it.

I always have a hard time choosing my favorite. Ive said for a long time it is FF6, but i loved the characters in FF9... and honestly I loved FF13-2 as well. and FF10...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FFIV confused me a lot. I guess that I wasn't paying attention. I really don't remember why Cecil had a change of heart and abilities or what the story was about after that point. It's just a big question mark in my head.

LowParry

FFIV confused me a lot. I guess that I wasn't paying attention. I really don't remember why Cecil had a change of heart and abilities or what the story was about after that point. It's just a big question mark in my head.

One born of a dragon
Bearing darkness and light,
Shall rise to the heavens
Over the still land.
The moon's light eternal
Brings a promise to Earth
With bounty and grace.

Cecil was never really a bad guy to begin with, he just had a sense of loyalty to the king because the king raised him but eventually enough was enough.

ULTROS!

FFIV's story is kinda strange, but then again it's a pretty early JRPG and it was their first attempt to make the game more character involved.

It's like there's so much drama coming left and right and they're kind of random at times.

Unlike in FFIII, the entire cast are like dolls that NPCs talk to.

CorvoSol

It's called Cecil realized that all the tail he could get with the dark and brooding act was not equal to the amount and quality of tail he could get if he was simultaneously Savior and King of the Entire World. So he dropped the brooding act, blew up a giant robot, punched out Darth Vader in Hell, and also flew to the moon in a whale so that he could help the Mop God defeat Purple Voldemort.

FF4's an amazingly deep and complicated story.

jaxword

It's called Cecil realized that all the tail he could get with the dark and brooding act was not equal to the amount and quality of tail he could get if he was simultaneously Savior and King of the Entire World. So he dropped the brooding act, blew up a giant robot, punched out Darth Vader in Hell, and also flew to the moon in a whale so that he could help the Mop God defeat Purple Voldemort.

It's always about gettin' laid with you, isn't it bro.

Don't give Schala any ammo!

CorvoSol

Don't give Schala any ammo!

All the reasons Schala hates the game are the reasons I love it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, anybody else still not sold on FFXV? Like, I don't know how to put this, but it looked almost like please don't hate me for saying this but it looked almost like Uncharted Fantasy. As in all I saw in that trailer were cinematics and scripted events. Lots of running down hallways. I need to see an open area, and I need to see someone just playing for 5 minutes before I can make a call on how I feel about this.

KH 3 has me hype as hell, though.

I don't know...I just really really desperately want XV even though I haven't seen any raw footage yet...I think this is what we call suffering from too much XIII.

ULTROS!

The cast of Vers...XV

Also the game's character designers are Tetsuya Nomuran AND Roberto Ferrari (The Last Remnant, Song Summoner, and Moon Diver).

CorvoSol

The cast of Vers...XV

Also the game's character designers are Tetsuya Nomuran AND Roberto Ferrari (The Last Remnant, Song Summoner, and Moon Diver).

So now that its a mainline game, any word on if the party will be expanded to the standard six? Because there is a desperate lack of ladies in the party so far.

jaxword

Reading over the reaction thread, I'm amazed at how many people did NOT expect Versus to become XV.

Also, the people making comments that this is a "return to the S-E I loved" and things like that. It still looks like FF13 to some degree.

CorvoSol

I hope it's more of an RPG than it seems now. Doesn't seem like much of one anymore. Looks like Uncharted with Nomura. Not that a game like that would necessarily be bad, but I'd like a deep customization system at minimum.

Oh thank goodness I thought I was the only one.

Mxrz

Not sure what to think. Everyone is claiming Square is back but hmm.

I wanted 15 to be shown.
But I did want it to be Versus.

Then Versus looked really good.
But more like Uncharted.

But I love Uncharted.
But I sort of want a traditional JRPG / FF experience.

So is Versus still on the crystal engine, or the next gen one? If its the next gen engine, does that mean all the old work was thrown out? But why build an entirely new engine if you're then going to work on a game using the old one. Is it too early to be hyped for XVI?

Ah well. can always play FF12 maxed out on PCSX2.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Making Versus FFXV seems like a statement that this is the direction they want the series to go.
I was fine with the game as spinoff, but as a mainline title, it's a bit worrying. Probably have to see more gameplay first, though.

Mr. RHC

Making Versus FFXV seems like a statement that this is the direction they want the series to go.
I was fine with the game as spinoff, but as a mainline title, it's a bit worrying. Probably have to see more gameplay first, though.

They have always been evolving the gameplay of the series, nothing implies this direction is beyond change.

Yeah, as someone who doesn't like Kingdom Hearts even a little bit what SE showed last night does nothing for me.

Posted in here because you have a tendency to get lost in a sea of gushing in the other topics.

CorvoSol

Yeah, as someone who doesn't like Kingdom Hearts even a little bit what SE showed last night does nothing for me.

Posted in here because you have a tendency to get lost in a sea of gushing in the other topics.

I hope XV is at least like KH, because the trailer was hard to really tell. I'm hoping Square's Future of Final Fantasy talks about this game more in depth.

Soriku

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/r22p1q/final-fantasy-xv-e3-2013--gameplay

Personally I think it looks soo good, though I absolutely love KH gameplay so that's the biggest reason. At some things I may even go as far as to say I like it more than the normal ATB battle system. Is Shimomura working as the composer? Getting a huge KH vibe from the music which is an immensely good thing, KH games have some of the best osts I've heard.

Yup Shimomura. I wonder how much of the soundtrack she has done over these past 7 years...

CorvoSol

Although I like KH's battle system, if they're gonna go that route, I hope they at least adopt Type-0's member swapping thing, so I can change between party members on the fly in battle.

Noi

Although I like KH's battle system, if they're gonna go that route, I hope they at least adopt Type-0's member swapping thing, so I can change between party members on the fly in battle.

I dunno if it's on the fly, but the gameplay trailer has you playing as someone other than Noctis for a brief second. So something's there.

CorvoSol

I dunno if it's on the fly, but the gameplay trailer has you playing as someone other than Noctis for a brief second. So something's there.

Just listen to how incredibly desperate that sounds. That's what XIII's done to us.

"I DUNNO MAN. I MEAN, I SAW PARTY MEMBERS, MAN. AND HE COULD MOVE LEFT AND RIGHT, MAN. I JUST NEED A HIT REEL BAD."

Top Bottom