• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Nah, sadly you only get the Cursed Ring for daring to defile their sacred tower.

Can't I pair that with something like diamond armor to make myself resistant to Lightning, though?

Man, even if the game is solo Noctis, at least you have party members to help. I just saw the 15 minute demo of LR at E3 and there was absolutely nothing exciting about playing as a truly solo Lightning.

That victory pose. Oh God, this isn't even the same Lightning who was in XIII anymore.

CorvoSol

It even goes through Reflect...it's just that powerful...

...well unless you were to level up the Ring by fighting 13 battles again Shinryu solo...then you could protect yourself fully

13 fights against Shinryu with a curse ring? Better bring some water resistant armor so I can just live from Tidal Wave to Tidal Wave, I guess.

Xux

The game is completely solo? Fuck that then, not going to buy. I want party members in my JRPGs. Also lol at that horrible victory pose
It'd be neat if someone did a "Final Fantasy XIII Minus Lightning" video series where they edit out scenes with Lightning's dialogue and dialogue about her just to see if it was any better.

CorvoSol

It'd be neat if someone did a "Final Fantasy XIII Minus Lightning" video series where they edit out scenes with Lightning's dialogue and dialogue about her just to see if it was any better.

Why would it be? All the worst characters like Snow, Hope, and Team NORA would still be there.

CorvoSol

I didn't mind those characters as much as Lightning being a dick to everyone most of the game.

Haha, I'm the other way around, I guess. I liked Lightning because she was a dick to those characters for being idiots most of the game. The only people on her team who were better were Fang and Sazh.

Tizoc

Correct me if I'm wrong but (or because I have bad memory sometimes), but when you level up in FF6, only your HP and MP increase right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I did not like what I saw out of that Lightning Returns battle footage at all. Heh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but (or because I have bad memory sometimes), but when you level up in FF6, only your HP and MP increase right?
Right. You level up the other stats by equipping Espers in order to level up your stats on a level up. That's why it's best to not grind your characters prior to being able to use Espers. That way you'll get more out of your characters in terms of maxing appropriate stats.

As for HP, it grows up to level 70 and the HP addition up to that point is +160ish HP per level up, iirc (I dunno; I've only played FF6 4 times so I can't tell you appropriate and accurate numbers outside of what I've observed). Then after that, it's a major drop off per level (going down to maybe +60-70 HP per level up). So if you want to tank a character after that, it's probably appropriate to equip an Esper on them who gives a better HP stat boost upon a level up (ex: Probably Bahamut since that one is +50%, and if you're playing the GBA version, Diabolos since it offers +100% HP boosts on a level up--- though if you go this route, it's best to equip them when you level your desired tank character up between levels 68 - 72).

Tizoc

I did not like what I saw out of that Lightning Returns battle footage at all. Heh.

Right. You level up the other stats by equipping Espers in order to level up your stats on a level up. That's why it's best to not grind your characters prior to being able to use Espers. That way you'll get more out of your characters in terms of maxing appropriate stats.

As for HP, it grows up to level 70 and the HP addition up to that point is +160ish HP per level up, iirc (I dunno; I've only played FF6 4 times so I can't tell you appropriate and accurate numbers outside of what I've observed). Then after that, it's a major drop off per level (going down to maybe +60-70 HP per level up). So if you want to tank a character after that, it's probably appropriate to equip an Esper on them who gives a better HP stat boost upon a level up (ex: Probably Bahamut since that one is +50%, and if you're playing the GBA version, Diabolos since it offers +100% HP boosts on a level up--- though if you go this route, it's best to equip them when you level your desired tank character up between levels 68 - 72).

Thanks for the info, alas it's because of this that FF6 may be going down in my ranking of my fav. FF games, I would've much preferred normal stat increase via level up, with Espers being 'Bonus stat boosts' @_@
I do admit I love the story and characters of the game but the level up system is gonna be tricky for me unless I read up on how some characters can be upgraded.

This looks like the best place to ask.

If I'm interested in playing FF VI, should I download it on PSN, or seek out the GBA version?

The GBA version's the best bet between the two. An ideal solution would be buying the GBA version, then playing the game on an emulator with the patch that restores the audio quality to something comparable to the SNES version. (Here's a comparison of how the patched and unpatched versions sound) That way, you'd have the content of the GBA version with none of the drawbacks.

Alternatively, if you don't mind on missing out on the GBA version's optional content and have access to a Wii, you can always get it off of Virtual Console.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the info, alas it's because of this that FF6 may be going down in my ranking of my fav. FF games, I would've much preferred normal stat increase via level up, with Espers being 'Bonus stat boosts' @_@
I do admit I love the story and characters of the game but the level up system is gonna be tricky for me unless I read up on how some characters can be upgraded.
Know that everyone gets re-balanced/readjusted for World of Ruin in terms of levels. That's why I usually try to keep everyone even before even doing World of Ruin. But all you really need to know is that some characters have naturally better stats than others, optimized for their "classes". I'm not a huge expert on Final Fantasy VI by a longshot. It's one of the games I know the least, to be honest. And this mostly refers to the GBA version, since it's generally a better version for stats (ie: evasion works properly now). Most of the optimization stuff is up to you, but I see that most people just opt to make people learn as many spells as they can. This is purely anecdotal on my side, though.

for example:

Terra: She's basically a Red Mage in practice, with better damage output. In the early portion of FF6, Terra's not really one of the best characters and it shows by Banon being there to heal, and Sabin just being a better offensive fighter in general. She's relevant still because enemies are typically weak vs. fire. When she rejoins the party with the Trance ability, she finally gets equipment that's beneficial to her greatest asset: magic stats (ex: Enhancer, Minerva Bustier, etc). Trance ends up being a boss-killer if you go out of your way to set it up properly.

Terra's Optimization: Go with elemental weapons because of the Mag Pwr boosts there. But basically, it's up to you with respect to what you want her to be. Do you want her to be balanced? Do you want her to be more of a mage type? Do you want her to be more of a physical fighter type? What you pick in terms of what you want her to be will factor into which Espers you'll generally equip on her. Ultimately, there are many different setups for her depending on what you want to do with respect to equipment.

Locke: Dude's a thief. Speed and Evade (esp. in FF6a) are his game. I... I honestly think he has one of the worst builds in the game because attacking is his game, but he doesn't really have a good start as an attacker, and he doesn't really have a good end as one, either.

Shadow: Speedster; and Evade is your friend in the GBA version. He's basically a great all-around character with access to elemental attacks early on. His magic isn't that bad, but I wouldn't hype it up very much. If you feel like making him use things other than throw, you could go for Strength boosts, but that's up to you.

Edgar: One of my favourites. I love Edgar. While Tools may dominate the earlier parts of the game, Edgar's general character strength towards the end of the game isn't his Tools prowess, but his high phys stats and ability to try to speed him up a little bit with speed boosts on a level up could probably add more to his usefulness. Essentially, Edgar is the only guy who can use Spears (making him a good character with a jump ability), and he can easily use the Lightbringer. Longinus sucks, don't use it. But if you want to keep him useful, I guess you can go for Espers that boost Atk Pwr and Speed.

And so on and so forth. There are tons of examples for all of the characters. Whatever you notice that they're lacking in when you go to the menu and see their base stats, and you want to customize them according to your playstyle, go ahead and do it.

Like... if I cared as much about FF6, I'd probably take that FF6 playthrough off of indefinite hiatus and talk about this stuff with screens, but I really don't feel like playing through FF6. Beef's doing a victory dance as we speak, I think.

CorvoSol

But that's not FF4.

When did this become the wrong opinions thread?

Goddamn FF4 is so amazing. Batman and Rydia riding a space whale fighting Darth Vader in a Gundam and talking chocobos and bombs and bald monks who are cross dressing dancers and Cid is all like "GUESS I'LL HAVE TO JUMP".

FF4 is amazing. The only way it could be better is if it injected you with LSD when you started to play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Guys, I can't stop rewatching the FFXV announcement trailer. Pls help.

No it's right because we skipped right over II.

Fixasa (asa is better than aga).

Top Bottom