• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

"Oh look there's more than five people standing here. GUESS I BETTER KILL MYSELF" -Everyone in the game

"Ugh, I hate how emo and melodramatic current FFs are, why can't they be like the games I played as a kid." - Every FF fan forgetting things before 1998.

Nudull

Banned
Huh. Didn't know this was here, given that I've been on a FF kick since XV's announcement. Howdy, I offer cookies and merriment. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm playing VI too... But on my Vita (basically the PS1 version).

Korigama

XV's announcement (along with a theory that I wanted to test) led me to return to XII in order to reassess it, not having finished the game once yet in spite of owning it since launch. Didn't care much for it initially, but enjoying it more after changing how I play it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Actually, I'm looking for another unplayed FF to start with. I've finished:

FFI
FFII
FFIII
FFIV / FFIV:TAY
FFV
FFVI
FFVII:CC / FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX / FFX-2
FFXII
FFXIII / FFXIII-2

The ones I haven't played/finished are:

FFXI
FFXIV
FFVII:DoC
FFXII:RW

Those are the only ones I'm aware of though. Tactics is not an option because I get bored with Tactics games.

Nudull

Banned
Finish FFVII: DoC for...um, science. And our comedy.

Funny thing is, I came to enjoy DoC for what it was, hilariously ridiculous as it was. Also, Redemption. :3

Come to think of it, I've been meaning to play a lot more Final Fantasy. I only ever played IV, VI, DoC, IX, X, X-2, XIII and XIII-2, and never finished any of them. I've been meaning to try III, V, VIII, and the Dissidia games, but I'm open to opinions/reccomendations.

CorvoSol

I think we're witnessing Stockholm Syndrome here.

Stockholm Syndrome would imply that at some point I didn't want to be with FF4. This is not true.

FF4 is the only game in the series that has the only ending that makes sense: Cecil is a goddamn king and the entire fucking world has to bow to him because who can honestly oppose the guy capable of fighting giant robots, dragon gods, and embodiments of hatred?

Some games the protagonist is all "I JUST WANT A QUIET LIFE" and Cecil is like "SCREW THAT NOISE I AM YOUR KING DAMMIT."

jaxword

Actually, I'm looking for another unplayed FF to start with. I've finished:

FFI
FFII
FFIII
FFIV / FFIV:TAY
FFV
FFVI
FFVII:CC / FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX / FFX-2
FFXII
FFXIII / FFXIII-2

FFXI
FFXIV

Those are the only ones I'm aware of though. Tactics is not an option because I get bored with Tactics games.

Don't bother with the online games. RW is just boring. DoC is pretty lame but it's playable and very pretty, you can probably get through it in a day or so.

How about FF4 DS?

Otherwise, why not try your hand at the old school Final Fantasy Legend series? The second one is on the DS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

FFXI
FFXIV

You know how I feel about Dirge being a pile of garbage where it doesn't know what the heck kind of game it wanted to be, and it makes me want to roll my eyes every time a cutscene begins. And the mission structure is bad. Revenant Wings is ehhh.

FFXI is pretty good--at least its story is good. FFXIV--wait until ARR is out, but you knew that.

Did you play 4 Heroes of Light, by any chance?

CorvoSol

Well, if we're going to argue technicalities in what constitutes a Final Fantasy...

Well, its only fair. The Legends games are actually SaGa games, and Final Fantasy Adventure is a Mana game.

It's not like we're trying to argue that Xenoblade is FFXIII or that Last Story is FFIX-2.

ULTROS!

Well... I could finish Dirge of Cerberus if ever I get the motivation.

And oh yeah, 4WoL. I've been thinking about playing it though, maybe I should give it a shot. How long is the game?

I tried FFIV NDS and I didn't like it unfortunately. :(

CorvoSol

And oh yeah, 4WoL. I've been thinking about playing it though, maybe I should give it a shot. How long is the game?

Four Heroes of Light is about as long as an old school game, so like, 40 hours depending on how little time you spend grinding? There are also the four bonus towers with the bonus job classes and those take a hell of a long time, too. It's an okay game, except targeting is automatic and the class system cannot fully be taken advantage of because you spend so much of the game with 1-2 party members.

Mr. RHC

FF hype is in beast mode right now.

I need to finish FFV for the first time asap, then IV to see what all the story buzz is about.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
At the end of the E3, did we hear what the "FUTURE OF FINAL FANTASY" press conference was?

Seda

At the end of the E3, did we hear what the "FUTURE OF FINAL FANTASY" press conference was?

It was pretty much all live tweeted and all the videos shown are on YouTube. That's where we learned that Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 are coming to Xbox One, Kingdom Hearts 3 is being developed by Osaka team, etc.

Play the PSP version and just Youtube a 'Let's Play' for certain scenes if you want to see them done in 3D, that's what I did at least.

ULTROS!

FFIV's story is like a Mexican telenovela (soap opera with an ending).

Speaking of not taking stories seriously, it's probably why I enjoy FFV's...it's just kinda wacky and while it has its tragic scenes, there is some hilarious stuff in there.

CorvoSol

FFIV's story is like a Mexican telenovela (soap opera with an ending).

To be a true telenovela, though, Golbez would have had to have slept with Rosa.

Oh man I want an FF4 telenovela more than an FF4 super robot show now.

Speaking of not taking stories seriously, it's probably why I enjoy FFV's...it's just kinda wacky and while it has its tragic scenes, there is some hilarious stuff in there.

ULTROS!

~Music plays~
Golbezo: Rosa, mi amor, I want you to stay with me forever.
Rosa: Si! Si! Golbezo! But... Cecilo, mi other amor.
Golbezo: *weeps*

I'm pretty Dark Schala will want something like this.

CorvoSol

~Music plays~

Starring Antonio Bandeiras as Golbez, Cecil, AND FuSoYa. Golbez' armor has to be open so that his rippling muscles are showing at all times, and he has to have that facial hair from the Mask of Zorro. Catherine Zeta Jones for Rydia. Xuxa will play both Palom and Porom.

Oh God I would watch this so much.

Golbez reduced to Latin Lover is unacceptable.

It's Golbez

Plus Schala hates Rosa.

Bartz Klauser may dress like a Latin Lover, but we all know that the most desirable men in Final Fantasy are Cecil, Golbez, Firion and Jecht. Cecil because literally every woman he knows wants him. Golbez because I mean seriously he's like Cecil except better in every possible way. Jecht is Jecht, and everybody wants to take Firion's flower.

ULTROS!

Rosa = Jennifer Lopez or Shakira

jaxword

Rosa = Jennifer Lopez or Shakira

That's not the way to get to this generation.

Rosa = Selena Gomez
Rydia = Miley Cyrus
Golbez = That dude from Twilight
Bonus cameo of Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan as Queen Eblan and King Eblan

Billion dollar movie right there.

CorvoSol

That's not the way to get to this generation.

Rosa = Selena Gomez
Rydia = Miley Cyrus
Golbez = That dude from Twilight
Bonus cameo of Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan as Queen Eblan and King Eblan

Billion dollar movie right there.

Like hell am I going to watch a movie where Selena Gomez plays anyone over the age of 13. Girl needs to hit puberty already.

xist

Now i'm enjoying XII IZJS but...

FML!!!

I just died one screen away from a savepoint in the Great Crystal after not having saved for four hours (I was using a map...i hadn't got there yet). Having got past the initial arghh and wandering around in circles with a frustrated angry walk i'm back to either diving straight back in or cooling off...

Damn Reddas...you're supposed to be useful...

Samyy

Just picked up Ff13-2, back on the FF hype train!

I also really like FF4
Also just bought FF6 and 7 to play for the first time!

Now i'm enjoying XII IZJS but...

FML!!!

I just died one screen away from a savepoint in the Great Crystal after not having saved for four hours (I was using a map...i hadn't got there yet). Having got past the initial arghh and wandering around in circles with a frustrated angry walk i'm back to either diving straight back in or cooling off...

Damn Reddas...you're supposed to be useful...

The Great Crystal is sort of like the Pharos in the sense that there are parts of it filled with super-hard monsters, but IIRC unlike the Pharos it's possible to get into those areas before you've finished the dungeon. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

CorvoSol

I think the great thing about FFXII is that I spent like, a jillion hours playing that game so I could fight Gilgamesh and get the Zodiac spear and there's still so much I didn't do. If I ever get around to playing it again, I'm gonna go for Yiazmat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mmm, I had the urge to play FFX-2 yesterday and then I remembered that it was being re-released so I decided to nix my plans for that. Shame.

I played some FF7 the other day, and, well, I kinda started feeling nostalgic about it. It's definitely not my first Final Fantasy game (FF1 NES was), but I started to remember the grandeur of playing it for the first time. My first experience with FF7 was watching other people play it (cousins were so engrossed in it that I wasn't able to play it on my own there). We couldn't afford our own PS1 at the time, so my dad used to take me to TRU to play the game at the kiosk there sometimes. I know the first two dungeons super-well because of that, heh. I didn't play the full thing until I got the PC version.

But as I was playing it this time, and because I hadn't played the game in years, I started noticing some stuff that I hadn't noticed before (and I was joined by someone else who watched me play). Character animations that we were both fond of, NPC dialogue expanding upon the atmosphere/mood/setting (like, we only got up to Sector 7 before he had to get going, so we ended up talking to everyone including the train station worker), the worldbuilding and tone-sitting in terms of dialogue + the backgrounds, FMVs, etc. It was just nice to talk about this with someone else and pointing out all these little technical things here and there that just seem to breathe life into the world and make the areas seem more "organic". The areas you're in just don't seem to act merely as "setpieces" you run along in. There's a sense of camaraderie between your main player character and his companions (and between the companions themselves). The world itself gives me info about the tone and atmosphere in a cohesive way. And I like that. I honestly wouldn't have noticed this before if I didn't have a companion along for the ride (two companions, actually, but the other was sleepy).

I still don't care much for the CG and extended animations for longer limit breaks/summons/magic. But the game's still fun to play. Customization still feels great. The atmosphere is still nice, and the worldbuilding even at the beginning of the game is such a nice touch.

~Music plays~

This would actually be acceptable, except for the fact that...

Plus Schala hates Rosa.
Hahaha. Tigger knows.

CorvoSol

Schala's just mad that Best Girl didn't win in FF4. It happens all the time. See also: FF6 and FF8. Note that as of the War of the Lions, Ramza is losing to Mustadio for Agrias, but we all know she wants dat butt armor.

So over/under on when we'll see a new mainline Final Fantasy that is neither a FNC game or MMO?

One year? Or could the state of the series be that rightly fucked that we'll be waiting two or more?

Seda

So over/under on when we'll see a new mainline Final Fantasy that is neither a FNC game or MMO?

One year? Or could the state of the series be that rightly fucked that we'll be waiting two or more?

Well FFXV will likely get sequels, so if that is FNC (honestly don't know) then probably closer to 5 years. 3 at best.

Well FFXV will likely get sequels, so if that is FNC (honestly don't know) then probably closer to 5 years. 3 at best.
Coming from someone who has never been looking forward to Versus (said it before, but I seriously do not care for Kingdom Hearts at all), the future of Final Fantasy sure looks awful bleak for me right now. I'd really like a new mainline FF to look forward to. This whole past generation has been a fucking depressing purgatory of broken promises and shit games, and the start of the new is still locked in it.

Only when Square Enix actually up and moves on from failed MMOs and games announced seven years ago will I feel the series has turned a corner. If they really plan on instead wasting the generation away only on direct sequels to a game they announced nearly a decade ago then any scrap of faith in their direction in the series I had is gone. They need to get Versus out and move on, but the way they haven't even committed to next year is very worrying.

EDIT: That said, I really can't imagine SE would produce XV sequels and nothing but. Direct sequels have always been produced in tandem, sort of a stopgap between mainline titles.

Where's that Verendus guy? Didn't he know something?

ULTROS!

I believe FFXVI is already underway.

The problem is we don't know who's team is developing it (maybe Toriyama? maybe Ito?)

ULTROS!

Tabata is now out of the picture, guise.

So it's probably both Itou and Toriyama. Although I'm totally fine with Toriyama as long as he's directing the cutscenes and not creating the story.

Top Bottom