• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Tabata is now out of the picture, guise.

So it's probably both Itou and Toriyama. Although I'm totally fine with Toriyama as long as he's directing the cutscenes and not creating the story.

Tabata being involved in XV is the first good news. Toriyama being allowed near a Square Enix game, particularly another mainline title, is the worst thing I've heard all day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Toriyama ain't bad when it comes to event direction. He did FFX's and FFX's cutscenes were memorable and emotional. It's a matter of placing the right people in their right professions and what they're capable of doing.

See: Toriyama in the story telling department (bad)
See: Nomura as a director (good)

CorvoSol

Toriyama ain't bad when it comes to event direction. He did FFX's and FFX's cutscenes were memorable and emotional. It's a matter of placing the right people in their right professions and what they're capable of doing.

See: Toriyama in the story telling department (bad)
See: Nomura as a director (good)

Even if Toriyama was good with event direction, the man shouldn't be allowed near another mainline FF any time soon. He's had three, and that's plenty. You know who should write XVI? The guy who did the Legends Games. He's still alive, isn't he?

The fact that Toriyama is in such a position of power over Final Fantasy is one of the greatest injustices in the video game industry. I've said it before but I'll say it again--if he ends up directing XVI, I quit. Seriously.

jaxword

The fact that Toriyama is in such a position of power over Final Fantasy is one of the greatest injustices in the video game industry. I've said it before but I'll say it again--if he ends up directing XVI, I quit. Seriously.

Better quit now, then. Toriyama doesn't appear to be going anywhere, and there's no one else to take up the mantle for the next one. Nomura and Tabata are busy with XV, Matsuno is gone forever, Kitase is a producer and hasn't directed a game in 10+ years...

Once LR is out the door, Toriyama will be free again.

Even if Toriyama was good with event direction, the man shouldn't be allowed near another mainline FF any time soon. He's had three, and that's plenty. You know who should write XVI? The guy who did the Legends Games. He's still alive, isn't he?

That's Akitoshi Kawazu. No idea what he's up to. He did Last Remnant last and took over FF12 when Matsuno had his breakdown.

Edit: Looking up Final Fantasy 16 stuff gives:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/User:Coolawits/Final_Fantasy_XVI

That's an impressive a bit of dedication to writing fake info...

xist

The Great Crystal is sort of like the Pharos in the sense that there are parts of it filled with super-hard monsters, but IIRC unlike the Pharos it's possible to get into those areas before you've finished the dungeon. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

On warping into a zone I got mobbed by about a billion Forbidden's and a really nasty Evil Spirit (which i think is one of the rare monsters) which was unexpected and went from me thinking this is the same old same old to dead in less than a minute. Making a break for the next screen with only a single character left probably was leaving things a little too late. The beauty of the speed up button in IZJS is that blink and you're dead...

However...and i suppose you take positives where you get them...i scored a Dragon Whisker L rare drop from that Evil Spirit just now when i retried everything again. And saved...

Edit.....haha...totally obliterated by Ultima. Now i wasn't expecting to walk into that battle.

CorvoSol

I might, too. Guy is pretty terrible. If they put out other hand held titles like TWEWY or give me another KH or something to alleviate the pain I might not spit on Square's grave, but I can't imagine this guy running the series even further under ground.

Returning briefly to the subject of the FF4 telenovela, if they did it in Brasil, then Flavia Alessandra could play Rosa, and then no one would dislike Rosa.

I know I've posted it before, but I really like this piece of FF4 fanart:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I believe FFXVI is already underway.

The problem is we don't know who's team is developing it (maybe Toriyama? maybe Ito?)

I'm totally OK with Toriyama directing the next main entry, as long as he chooses another writer over Watanabe. T. Nomura should be involved too, mainly as a character design though. The rest of XIII's team kinda looks fantastic already for hiring again: Hamauzu, Kamikokuryou & co. – they can keep them.

To make it short: change writers, change character designers.

jaxword

You guys are going to be really, really angry in 2015 when Toriyama is named director or writer or whatever important role of FF16.

I mean, just from a business perspective: he's managed to get several games successfully out the door, faster than Nomura or Matsuno. Sure, they may not be written that well and they're full of Toriyama's fetish for dress-up, but the simple fact is that they GET DONE.

And they sell. Sure, they're not record-breaking FF7 numbers, but they're not complete tanks. He's proven himself capable of being a director and managing resources.

I guess it's possible that he'll anger Yosuke Matsuda or something (not that we know anything about the backroom office politics), there's no logical reason to NOT have Toriyama do big projects. 1000 internet fans screaming about how much he sucks means absolutely nothing in a boardroom.

CorvoSol

You guys are going to be really, really angry in 2015 when Toriyama is named director or writer or whatever important role of FF16.

I mean, just from a business perspective: he's managed to get several games successfully out the door, faster than Nomura or Matsuno. Sure, they may not be written that well and they're full of Toriyama's fetish for dress-up, but the simple fact is that they GET DONE.

And they sell. Sure, they're not record-breaking FF7 numbers, but they're not complete tanks. He's proven himself capable of being a director and managing resources.

I guess it's possible that he'll anger Yosuke Matsuda or something (not that we know anything about the backroom office politics), there's no logical reason to NOT have Toriyama do big projects. 1000 internet fans screaming about how much he sucks means absolutely nothing in a boardroom.

I'm still not sure how much "They SELL" can be attributed to Toriyama, though. 13 sold, sure, but it was a mainline entry and mainline entries sell. 13-2 saw considerable drop off, didn't it? I reserve that final judgment on this point cannot be passed until we see LR's sales. Because if his games are disliked and do have a negative impact on sales, that would amount to a reason for him not to direct 16.

More than that, though, it just really ought to be someone else's turn. Toriyama's had 3 console games. Let someone else work 16 out the door.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

It's completely going to depend on LR sales.
Look at poor Ito, FF IX is the mainline that sold worst since VII (for reasons totally unrelated to game quality), and he's been relegated in the mobile division for a decade : (

injurai

Banned
So I'm playing through FF1 (SNES). If I ever push the a botton while not facing an important tile or person the text box says "no shit"

am i playing the right rom?

edit: yeah this rom has been messed with

mq4IMSK.png

jaxword

So I'm playing through FF1 (SNES). If I ever push the a botton while not facing an important tile or person the text box says "no shit"

mq4IMSK.png

Square's translators had different standards back then.

CorvoSol

mq4IMSK.png

I kinda want to know how far the Bitch Warriors got.

jaxword

It's easily in the running for one of the worst games I have ever played.

You are forgetting the NES FFs. They are unplayable these days outside of the oldschool enthusiasts. Also, FF14's first launch was a bit of a disgrace.

The aforementioned FF2 gets the prize as worst, though, since it's one of the only FFs that really IS unbeatable if you don't know the system. At least 4 is balanced to prevent that.

CorvoSol

You are forgetting the NES FFs. They are unplayable these days outside of the oldschool enthusiasts. Also, FF14's first launch was a bit of a disgrace.

The aforementioned FF2 gets the prize as worst, though, since it's one of the only FFs that really IS unbeatable if you don't know the system. At least 4 is balanced to prevent that.

It's also an NES RPG which means ample time spent trying to figure out what obscure requirement you need to fulfill to advance the plot! I remember spending like forever searching for a specific set of shoals as a kid in DQ III because I didn't know what shoals were.

injurai

Banned

hey now... I'm starting a playthrough of the entire series... should I be playing the remakes instead?

CorvoSol

hey now... I'm starting a playthrough of the entire series... should I be playing the remakes instead?

NES FF1 vs GBA/PSP FF1 is only a question of difficulty. I don't mind the GBA version, but its kinda easy mode. I would definitely play FF2 GBA/PSP though, as the NES version of FF2 is hell.

FF3 is an argument entirely to itself. Aeana will insist on the NES version, but I think the DS version is just fine.

FF4 you should play either the GBA or DS version. SNES lacks the GBA's bonus content, like access to 5 other PCs at the end, and while DS also doesn't have that, it does have voice acted scenes and the augment system, as well as additional story scenes that help expand the SNES plot. Stay away from the PSP version, though. While it is prettiest, and having TAY on the same disc for the low price is certainly great, the PSP version of 4 itself offers only a watered down version of the script which serves only to show how it is otherwise just a graphics bump from the GBA version.

FF5 I like the GBA because of the extra classes, even if that bonus dungeon is horrid.

FF6 I've been told is better on SNES because of the music quality and because the GBA version removes some of Woolsey's more memorable lines. There's a patch for the former I hear and the latter isn't that big of a deal to someone with no attachment to them.

You should play the PSP version of FF13. The dialogue is a little harder to understand but the ability to turn left and right is worth it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I was fine with the FFI and FFII PSP versions though, it's not fantastic but it's fine.

FFIII for PSP is recommendable and the most accessible (you can buy it on PSN and play it on the Vita/PSP) because they added an auto battle feature and you can swap OSTs.

I'd heavily recommend the PSP version of FFIV though because it includes TAY and you have auto battles which makes grinding very tolerable (because you have to grind a lot in this game towards the end). Oh and you can also switch OSTs on the fly.

Also I'm looking for good non-fan art of FFX. I'll be making some avatars for the FFX/X-2 HD Remaster OT.

injurai

Banned
Now I feel so confused on what to play. I watched some of the FF1 PSP walkthrough and it seems so much better. Just they way it actually presents the story to you.

But I also fear I won't appreciate the technical progressions of the series if I start doing that. As I will end up jumping around different versions of remakes.

CorvoSol

Now I feel so confused on what to play. I watched some of the FF1 PSP walkthrough and it seems so much better. Just they way it actually presents the story to you.

But I also fear I won't appreciate the technical progressions of the series if I start doing that. As I will end up jumping around different versions of remakes.

It depends on what you want, then. Do you want the latest in presentation, or do you want to see how the series rose and fell?

I haven't played them, though.

Ultratech

My opinion:

FF1: As Corvo mentioned, it's basically a question of difficulty. The remakes got neutered to hell, making them pretty easy for the most part, but they look much better.

FF2: May as well stick with the remakes. The Famicom/(NES) version is an exercise in frustration and is riddled with bugs and other fun stuff. I'd recommend that version only if you're masochistic or have some good understanding of how its systems work.

FF3: Eh...it's a bit of a toss-up. I prefer the original Famicom version, but the remakes are pretty decent as well (not to mention much harder).
Both have their pros and cons, so you can't go totally wrong with the original or the remakes.

FFIV: No comment.

FFV: GBA version all the way. No contest here.

FFVI: Either SNES or GBA. The GBA version is probably more balanced and has extra stuff (and doesn't have the major game-breaking bugs like the SNES game), but the music quality suffers. But there's also a patch to solve that, so it's up to you on which you want to play.

Yeah, FF2 does a pretty horrible job of attempting to explain its systems.
There's a lot of weird and arbitrary stuff in the original that's pretty silly and luckily doesn't carry over to the remakes like the magic penalties from weapons/armor.
Even then, there's still stuff like Armor Weight that the game doesn't really mention.

jaxword

Do you want to experience the series in a TECHNOLOGICAL progression?

If so, sure, play the games in their original incarnations on the nes.

Just realize they are incredibly archaic.

If you just want to experience the series from a thematic progression, story and general design, then do the remakes with the enhanced graphics and music and somewhat updated engines.

CorvoSol

Today I have decided that I hate FF9 so, so much. It has a great cast, music, and fairly endearing plot.

But fuck this battle system to death. Enemies get 5 turns to your 1, the atb gauge fills super slow, and attack animations fatten the fights just that much more. Add to that that Oeilivert is a piece of shit dungeon where you can't use magic but the enemies can and oh also they're armed with fucking instant death attacks and maelstrom spells they spam like there's no tomorrow.

Holy shit how did I ever finish this game. This battle system is the absolute worst in the whole first 10 games.

Today I have decided that I hate FF9 so, so much. It has a great cast, music, and fairly endearing plot.

But fuck this battle system to death. Enemies get 5 turns to your 1, the atb gauge fills super slow, and attack animations fatten the fights just that much more. Add to that that Oeilivert is a piece of shit dungeon where you can't use magic but the enemies can and oh also they're armed with fucking instant death attacks and maelstrom spells they spam like there's no tomorrow.

Holy shit how did I ever finish this game. This battle system is the absolute worst in the whole first 10 games.

The only enemies in Oeilvert who come close to killing your party members instantly are the Garudas (with Stop) and the Epitaphs, who choose a member of your whole party at random and sometimes cast Petrify. And Stop/Petrify are easily preventable, which only leaves the Epitaphs who are easily defeated and farmed for EXP. Did you bring only magic users or something?

CorvoSol

The only enemies in Oeilvert who come close to killing your party members instantly are the Garudas (with Stop) and the Epitaphs, who choose a member of your whole party at random. And Stop is easily preventable, which only leaves the Epitaphs who are easily defeated and farmed for EXP. Did you bring only magic users or something?

My party is Zidane, Steiner, Freya, and Eiko for the trip to Oeilvert. The Epitaph killed Eiko like twice in one fight before I gave up on reviving her for it, and these stupid fucking birds just raped my party and potion supply by casting maelstrom EVERY TURN and since they got 4 turns to my 1, my party was basically dying by the battle's end.

My party is Zidane, Steiner, Freya, and Eiko for the trip to Oeilvert. The Epitaph killed Eiko like twice in one fight before I gave up on reviving her for it, and these stupid fucking birds just raped my party and potion supply by casting maelstrom EVERY TURN and since they got 4 turns to my 1, my party was basically dying by the battle's end.

Well I don't know why you brought Eiko when the game told you that there's no magic allowed in that area. Epitaphs only make 2-3 clones in a single fight, so after that they can literally only cast Petrify until you kill them.

Garudas only appear in one area, so if you can get past it then you're golden.

Noi

I agree on FF9's battle system being way too slow, but I don't particularly remember Oeilvert being hard at all.

CorvoSol

Well I don't know why you brought Eiko when the game told you that there's no magic allowed in that area. Epitaphs only make 2-3 clones in a single fight, so after that they can literally only cast Petrify until you kill them.

Garudas only appear in one area, so if you can get past it then you're golden.

I already said: I brought Eiko for slinging white magic until I got to Oeilvert. Those stupid cactuars on the way would've been hell without her.

I will disagree heartedly on IX's battle system being too slow but to each his/her own.

I never had any real issue with Oilvert...it was pretty unremarkable except for that one room with the faces and the battle with Ark.

CorvoSol

I will disagree heartedly on IX's battle system being too slow but to each his/her own.

I never had any real issue with Oilvert...it was pretty unremarkable except for that one room with the faces and the battle with Ark.

The dungeon's problem is those fucking birds spamming the shit out of maelstrom. Can't even move with all the maelstrom going around because this battle system is as clunky as underwater physics in a platformer.

The problem I'm having is by and large the battle system being so awful.

jWILL253

Banned
Since my thread in the main forum got locked, I'll just move my post over here, truncated for relevance.

jWILL253 said:
For me, in order:
  • IX - This was the very first FF I've ever played, and I loved it. The characters aren't overbearing or too cliche. The story and plot themes are excellent, and I love how the game never takes itself too seriously. The weapon/armor-based character progression is the best in any FF I've played to date. I still haven't beaten it all the way (last boss gives me fits). Also, Vivi is the best FF character ever!
  • XII - I just love the overall "fantasy" feel of this game. For me, this game was a paradigm shit from all the other FF games I've played as it was less about the main character themselves, and more about what was going on in the world around them. However, with that said, Balthier is the true lead in this game and it shows. While the OG License system was a little too bland for my taste, the International Zodiac Job System blew this game wide open for me.
  • X - Basically, this game took the best parts about the characters from IX, and gave them voices. Was never to fond of the Sphere Grid, though. And the cutscene with Yuna and Tidus in the lake/pond = classic. X-2 can go surf on a wave of dicks, though.
  • VII - I just like the steampunk feel of this game. And while I don't care much for Cloud, I love Tifa, Garrett and Red XIII. And messing with Materia combinations was pretty cool.
  • XIV: ARR (PS3 beta) - I know it's too early to put an unreleased, unfinished game in my Top 5, but unless something drastic happens between now and August, I'm pretty sure this game is gonna take up a lot of my time. It has the feel of XII, and has fan service everywhere. That's good enough for me.
With all that said, I'd put XIII waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom of not only my FF list, but near the bottom of my JRPG list, with only Infinite Undiscovery being a bigger failure. Don't get me wrong, as a genre-neutral standalone game, XIII can hold up well. But it's not a good mainline Final Fantasy game, and it's not even a good JRPG.

That's why I'm so worried about XV. While it was a definite megaton at E3, the more I watch the trailer, the more XIII-vibes I get from it.

ULTROS!

I wonder if FFX can withstand the test of time once the HD remaster releases. I watched a few cutscenes videos and the voice acting is... Not as good as the voice acting nowadays.

Top Bottom