• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

I wonder if FFX can withstand the test of time once the HD remaster releases. I watched a few cutscenes videos and the voice acting is... Not as good as the voice acting nowadays.

At this point all I care about is whether or not FFX's battle system moves faster than FFIX's. Because Attack on Titan's plot moves faster than the ATB gauge in that game.

Noi

At this point all I care about is whether or not FFX's battle system moves faster than FFIX's. Because Attack on Titan's plot moves faster than the ATB gauge in that game.

tumblr_movh5deHFd1rnweedo1_500.jpg

FFX is way faster than IX because even with no ATB, the characters are quick and the commands are basically as fast as you can pick 'em.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Last time I played it (which was yesterday), the game was pretty fast but random encounters might annoy you.

I think FFI NES has probably a pretty slow battle system.

Noi

Eh, it's just different than the rest due to how you input all the commands before the actions are carried out. Even then it's faster than FF9 because the actual animations barely take more than a half second.

Voror

I'm rather looking forward to the HDs for X/X-2 as I can't recall anything of X and never played X-2 at all. I'll rather agree about the voice acting though from what I've been watching it is rather irritating in some respects. I've only ever watched videos of X-2, but I have to say I found James Arnold Taylor's performance in that one much better, though reasons of the character might have fed into that.

I'm planning on starting IX as well soon. I only got to around Disc 2 I think before having to quit due to school taking up all my focus. I was surprised to learn how much you have to do to get perfect stats for characters and was a little daunted. I think I'll try to hold off on that until another playthrough though I think I'll try and see about getting everyone's spirit to a good level with equipment.

I've also got V Advance coming next week, which I'm also looking forward to getting into.

Though once again it seems I have too many lined up as that's without counting games like Legend of Dragoon or Last of Us.

CorvoSol

tumblr_movh5deHFd1rnweedo1_500.jpg

FFX is way faster than IX because even with no ATB, the characters are quick and the commands are basically as fast as you can pick 'em.

Yeah, I kinda liked X's battle system as I recall, even if it wasn't particularly difficult once you start abusing Yuna's summons.

There's no ATB in FFX, but even still it's miles faster than FF9.

Good, cuz I'll be an old man before I reach Necron at this point.

Last time I played it (which was yesterday), the game was pretty fast but random encounters might annoy you.

Encounter rates can be a bad thing, and are a part of why I haven't played FFD recently, but if battles can be ended quickly this isn't a huge problem. FF9s battles are slower than the load times in Sonic 2006.

And while FF1 may have been slow, even the longest of spells was over in a matter of seconds.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, I wish they'd release FFXI on PS4 or Vita, and if possible an offline version. It feels weird to have played all the FF games except XI and XIV because of certain circumstances.

Good, cuz I'll be an old man before I reach Necron at this point.

I hope you enjoy fighting Ozma!

jaxword

Man, I wish they'd release FFXI on PS4 or Vita, and if possible an offline version. It feels weird to have played all the FF games except XI and XIV because of certain circumstances.

You know, that's a good point. S-E's sort of sitting on a potential easy moneymaker there, throw together a bunch of the quests offline and you've got a game. Or a spinoff, whatever.

Man, fuck Ozma and it's "Oh, trying to nullify shadow damage? Well, fuck you, I'm just going to use Meteor and probably one shot you just because" tendencies.

ULTROS!

Ozma can be as bad as Seymour Flux and
Yunalesca
actually (but not really though).

The latter because "oh I think I'll be fine with the 3rd variation *casts mega death and kills your entire party 100%* wtf".

If he's not already casting a spell and you confirm an action, then his ATB instantly fills up.

Ah, figures.

I don't mind tough optional bosses, but I really hate the ones that have somewhat random elements that are near impossible to plan for. If he uses Meteor and Curse one after another, there's not much you can do but pray that 1) Meteor doesn't kill you outright (Or you have Auto-Life), or 2) you don't get hit with the worst of Curse's status ailments.

Noi

Yeah, I love tough bosses in RPGs provided that they're playing by the same rules as the player does. Even Yiazmat in FFXII, despite his millions of HP gimmick, doesn't break that game's rules to do stuff, unlike Ozma. Ozma would be tough enough even without the instant ATB refill.

Ozma would be tough enough even without the instant ATB refill.

Eh, I don't really agree with that. He hits hard, but that's all he has going for him if you take away his ATB shenanigans. He's got really low health, I think somewhere in the 60k neighborhood.

Noi

Eh, I don't really agree with that. He hits hard, but that's all he has going for him if you take away his ATB shenanigans. He's got really low health, I think somewhere in the 60k neighborhood.

That should be the reward for finishing the friendly monsters sidequest then!

ULTROS!

There should be a PS3/Vita trophy for beating Ozma... And finishing the molasses slow game.

CorvoSol

I hope you enjoy fighting Ozma!

I quit fighting SuperBosses after Emerald Weapon in FFVII.

If he's not already casting a spell and you confirm an action, then his ATB instantly fills up.

I swear this is like, every monster in this game.

Yeah, I love tough bosses in RPGs provided that they're playing by the same rules as the player does. Even Yiazmat in FFXII, despite his millions of HP gimmick, doesn't break that game's rules to do stuff, unlike Ozma. Ozma would be tough enough even without the instant ATB refill.

This was my problem with Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep's Mysterious Figure. The fight wasn't fair because the boss invented rules and gameplay mechanics as the battle went on.

Ultratech

The only cheap stuff in the Yiazmat fight are his attacks having no charge time and a chance of Instant Death, which you can't really protect against.

ULTROS!

I hope FFXV doesn't pull a BbS when it comes to fighting Terra's final boss/es.

Shit's crazy man. I mean they're not following how the game should play anymore.

GAMERG0D

Why does the title say XIV? :| I'm going to replay every FF game up to X before the HD release. I'm not restarting IX though, it's my first time through and I got to Disc 2 not too long ago. That game is waaaaaay too slow.

ULTROS!

Man, I was trying to look for Wakka artwork for FFX avatars and I got scary stuff.

Ultratech

I hope FFXV doesn't pull a BbS when it comes to fighting Terra's final boss/es.

Shit's crazy man. I mean they're not following how the game should play anymore.

Yeah, I really hated those fights.

On the one hand, you can't brute force your way through the fights, but on the other hand, you're stuck Guarding and Counterattacking 90% through them.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yeah, I really hated those fights.

On the one hand, you can't brute force your way through the fights, but on the other hand, you're stuck Guarding and Counterattacking 90% through them.

Welcome to difficult action combat, everyone seems to love it for some reason.
I think i spent more time on Terra final boss than on the whole Ventus playthru.
(Levelling up and brute forcing was an option, though - doing it at l28 wasn't a good idea)

CorvoSol

Finished Oeilvert and Kuja's Castle. Now I guess I have to rescue the worst character in the game. Can't Kuja keep her? She's awful. Think I'll go back to playing around with my chocobo instead.

Arthea

I feel like making a list, hopefully it's not forbidden. Please, bear wit me. The reason I decided to do this lies in weird FF2 and F4 hate on gaf. I wonder how it started... Because you know... I remember those being 2 most loved FF games back in the day, and I liked them a lot, great games for their time.
So here we go

God tier
FF7
FF6

never could choose between those 2 and don't know how people can like one and hate other, seems tad hypocritical to me, because you see, these two game have so much in common, especially how perfectly they blend story and gameplay. I still wait for such a varied game as FF7, to this day, and so smooth in progression game as FF6.

Greatness tier
FF2
FF4
FFX

well, ya, you see all those games were mindblowing for their time inspite of having some flaws.

Really fun tier
FF8
FF5
FFX-2

you can ask what they have in common? I think it's pretty obvious, they excel in some things, gameplay related, and falls a lil short in story department.

Good tier
FF9
FF
FF3

All around good games, but not really exceptional as above games are

not so fun tier
FF11
FF12
FF13
FF13-2

FF11 is there because I don't like MMOs anymore, and that's only reason really. FF12 is only really boring FF for me in all accounts and with FF13 games, simply not enough FF for my tastes, not enough diversity in gameplay, bad pacing, story going nowhere and being there just to be there, lack of likeable characters, development and characterization too and way too combat heavy. As I already wrote what I think about 13 and 13-2 in this very topic, I'll stop there.

Arthea

What a shame you can't enjoy FFXII. It's only the FF GOAT.

Not really, no. But it's talk that goes nowhere, people who like FF12 usually like it because it's so unlike other FFs, no? And that's what making it impossible to like for the rest. It's by no means a bad game, it's just bad FF game and happens to belong to type of games I personally don't like.

Not really, no. But it's talk that goes nowhere, people who like FF12 usually like it because it's so unlike other FFs, no? And that's what making it impossible to like for the rest. It's by no means a bad game, it's just bad FF game and happens to belong to type of games I personally don't like.

How is it a bad FF game? The only thing I see really separating it from the others is the battle system and even that's a stretch.

Is there any way to make this Chocobo quest in FF9 less awful? Guuuuuuuuuh.

There's a certain point in the game where you're not allowed to find anymore Chocographs due to a glitch in the early versions of the game that made it so you could no longer progress if you kept exploring with a Gold Chocobo. Just keep going with the game until after Ipsen's Castle.

Gui_PT

X-2 may not be a masterpiece, but it's a game with a lot of content and lots of stuffto do and to collect.

But if those things aren't fun or interesting, that won't make the game any better

I hate the music and the characters. Don't even remember the story so it's not fair to criticize that.

Top Bottom