• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Arthea

Couple years ago...I hate the battle system like the plague and there are also other things that tick me off like the empty rooms or how the game severely punishes you for walking off the beaten path...that darn game...

That explains much. And what about FF (first one)?

CorvoSol

I have never replayed XII but only because I don't have the energy to do all the sidequests again...and I refuse to replay XIII and XIII-2 for obvious reasons. Everything else gets replayed.

Except for 2...

I haven't ever replayed XII either! I remember disliking the plot and feeling that there was too much brown. I wonder how my opinion will change regarding the game in a post-XIII world.

I still have to beat that one...one of these days, I want to fight Warmech!

I actually really enjoy FFI. Mostly as a means of scratching my old-fashioned RPG itch real quick.

I haven't ever replayed XII either! I remember disliking the plot and feeling that there was too much brown. I wonder how my opinion will change regarding the game in a post-XIII world.

I actually really enjoy FFI. Mostly as a means of scratching my old-fashioned RPG itch real quick.

XII is a drab looking world, I admit...there aren't a ton of really colorful areas but I love it all the same. I guess having the place take mainly in a desert doesn't lead to many super colorful places. I think if you went back to it after XIII, you might enjoy it more. Strike that...you will enjoy it more.

Well I don't mind a little old fashioned RPGing...it seems devoid of any ways to really break the game so I may have to actually put some work in whenever I get back to it.

CorvoSol

XII is a drab looking world, I admit...there aren't a ton of really colorful areas but I love it all the same. I guess having the place take mainly in a desert doesn't lead to many super colorful places. I think if you went back to it after XIII, you might enjoy it more. Strike that...you will enjoy it more.

Well I don't mind a little old fashioned RPGing...it seems devoid of any ways to really break the game so I may have to actually put some work in whenever I get back to it.

FFII had a means of breaking the game. It was called hiking to Mysidia. FFI, though? Hmmm, not that I can name off the top of my head. Other than having a Fighter.

I hope I have time this summer to get to FFXII.

FFII had a means of breaking the game. It was called hiking to Mysidia. FFI, though? Hmmm, not that I can name off the top of my head. Other than having a Fighter.

I would never go back to II. I tried once and gave up 30 minutes into it.

And yes, play more XII...such a good game. I just wish there were more superbosses...everything is dead now...=/

Ultratech

FFII can be fun when you find out how exactly its systems work.

Most of that boils down to stripping naked, equipping shields, and becoming super-fast, evading Death Gods. (Who occasionally whack each other to near-death if necessary.)

Hell, I did a no-armor run some time ago for the GBA version and pretty much made it through 2/3 of the game before enemies' attack power (and Accuracy) just got way too much to handle (the magic number there being ~150 attack or so). I could've kept going naked with no armor, but having to cast Blink or Protect every fight gets annoying.

Wazzy

Banned
Anyway, how often do you replay FFs people, if at all?

Quite a bit. The three I replay the most are VIII, Tactics and X. Both X and X-2 will get way more replays when the vita versions come out since I've become a bit tired of console gaming.

But generally I try to replay most of them once a year. The ones I usually do are IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and tactics.

CorvoSol

FFII can be fun when you find out how exactly its systems work.

Most of that boils down to stripping naked, equipping shields, and becoming super-fast, evading Death Gods. (Who occasionally whack each other to near-death if necessary.)

Hell, I did a no-armor run some time ago for the GBA version and pretty much made it through 2/3 of the game before enemies' attack power (and Accuracy) just got way too much to handle (the magic number there being ~150 attack or so). I could've kept going naked with no armor, but having to cast Blink or Protect every fight gets annoying.

Why would I do this when I can just max out Toad and be a walking Frog dispensing Machine of Ultimate Destructive Glory?

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAD

Ultratech

Why would I do this when I can just max out Toad and be a walking Frog dispensing Machine of Ultimate Destructive Glory?

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAD

That works too. (Except for enemies that absorb Matter.)

Other than that...

FFII_PSP_Toad.jpg

TOADS EVERYWHERE!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I miss the Toad Spell.

Imagine if FFXIII had it.

I hope FFXV will have the toad spell.

Natetan

Anyway, how often do you replay FFs people, if at all?

I am replaying 2,5,and 7 right now. Kind of crazy.

I love the iOS version of 2. Put Maria in the front row and have her use staffs (not stupid bows), get Minhwi, head down to mysidia, get all the good stuff there, hike over to the mysidia cave for gold hairband and black cloak and you're golden. The only spells you need is cure, heal, warp, swap, life, and fire. End game is all about the heal staff and blood sword. For me its like sequence breaking in Super Metroid. So satisfying. I agree I didnt like the game that much before I learned how to break the battle system.

I also speed run the SNES 4 version. Just run from everything, its fun and makes it a bit more challenging. And nostalgia.

I replay 6 although very infrequently.

The only other ones i would want to replay are 1 and maybe X. 3 is just terrible garbage. I never enjoyed it.

jaxword

I despise that spell. Didn't help that it felt like so many enemies liked inflicting that status in FFVI.

It wasn't in FF6, though... do you mean 5 or 7? Those were the last time it appeared.

It likely won't appear again the current generation, either. Creating a whole new battle model for one spell seems like a luxury.

Esura

Banned
It wasn't in FF6, though... do you mean 5 or 7? Those were the last time it appeared.

It likely won't appear again the current generation, either. Creating a whole new battle model for one spell seems like a luxury.

You are right. That was the imp spell which I mistaken for toad.

And it does seem like a lot of effort to do now for a troll spell.

Tizoc

I wonder if Lightning's haristyle is part of her popularity in Japan...

Curious but am I the only one who has NEVER used any negative status Black magic spells outside of Poison and Death?
I always found such spells useless and I've never used them in ANY FF, except in the XIII series since they're actually effective for once.

aravuus

Why does that "pops hip" sound like your hips are dislocated and you're popping them back like they're supposed to be. With massively painful pop sounds.

I also haven't ranked FFs, so here goes

Great
FF VI-XII

CorvoSol

I wonder if Lightning's haristyle is part of her popularity in Japan...

Curious but am I the only one who has NEVER used any negative status Black magic spells outside of Poison and Death?
I always found such spells useless and I've never used them in ANY FF, except in the XIII series since they're actually effective for once.

Ever since I found out that Lightning's first look is basically a palette swapped Utena Tenjou, I kinda lost some respect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Story:
Great - IV, VI, VII, IX, X
OK - VIII, XII, XIII (this had a lot of potential due to the backstory)
Meh - I, II, III, V, X-2, XIII-2

Gameplay:
Great - IV, VI, VII, IX, X, X-2, XIII, XIII-2
OK - I, III, V
Meh - II, VIII, XII

Characters:
Great - VI, VII, VIII, IX, X
OK - II, IV
Meh - I, III, V, XII, XIII

CorvoSol

Story:
Great - IV, VI, VII, IX, X
OK - VIII, XII, XIII (this had a lot of potential due to the backstory)
Meh - I, II, III, V, X-2, XIII-2

Gameplay:
Great - IV, VI, VII, IX, X, X-2, XIII, XIII-2
OK - I, III, V
Meh - II, VIII, XII

Characters:
Great - VI, VII, VIII, IX, X
OK - II, IV
Meh - I, III, V, XII, XIII

ULTROS GETS IT, GUYS.

Natetan

Should I rank FF's? Isn't that like, the welcoming party? Is that when it's official? Should I really rank? Because you don't want me to rank. *pops hip*

I agree with you in a way. That's what I liked about ffx is that status effect spells were actually really powerful, especially poison.

Regen in ffvii is really awesome though.

It if you think this way, I encourage you to play the ffv four job fiesta. Really forces you to explore characters ability sets rather than just knife and black magic your way through the game.

jaxword

Characters:

OK - II,

Gonna assume this one was a hidden troll...without cheating and looking it up in the wiki, so I guess I only have to rely on your sense of honor here, can you REALLY define the characters in this one? I mean even off the top of my head, the ones that join up die comically fast, one of the mains doesn't actually talk, and Firion pretty much a generic jrpg blank hero that could fit in with Dragon Quest or something.

ULTROS!

I'm not a big fan of the job system except for X-2's which was implemented well.

V is pretty low in my list because of the system, the story, and the characters

Gonna assume this one was a hidden troll...without cheating and looking it up in the wiki, so I guess I only have to rely on your sense of honor here, can you REALLY define the characters in this one? I mean even off the top of my head, the ones that join up die comically fast, one of the mains doesn't actually talk, and Firion pretty much a generic jrpg blank hero that could fit in with Dragon Quest or something.

It felt weird to put just one game in OK so I had to decide on II without thinking it hard. Guess I'm moving it down to meh.

GAMERG0D

What party do you guys usually use for the original FF? I usually run Warrior, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage but this time I might use two Warriors.

Natetan

I've already done that last year and I'm doing it this year. Makes me put a huge ??? over my head when Ultros says V's gameplay is "okay".

I hated V initially. The game is a troll in a way because the snes ffs have fairly good stories and at least characterization. v is pretty awful and characterization is pretty limited.

Once you learn how to enjoy the job system though it clicks. One of the most repayable games in the series, especially with the four job fiesta!

What party do you guys usually use for the original FF? I usually run Warrior, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage but this time I might use two Warriors.

If you want an easy run through unusually do fighter, black belt, thief, and red Mage. Red Mage is pretty amazing. There are so many garbage spells in ff1, the red Mage learns all the important ones, can equip quite good swords. End game is all about using items to fast lv2 elemental magic etc anyway.

jaxword

So I was thinking of making a game of thrones themed hack for fun.

If you could do one, which of the FFs would this fit best? 6, perhaps, but there's too much tech to reconcile. 5 has the meteors. 4 has the airships. All of those are sorta dealbreakers.

Natetan

I find the story and characters are better than IV's. I never understood how people have a problem with V's story or characters. Faris, for instance, is easily the best female character in the series this side of Yuna.

Well I don't deny that I played the game for the first time only 5or so years ago where I played the others when they and I were more impressionable. On reflection Ffiv story is pretty ridiculous. Still I just feel nothing for any of the characters in that game. I love the battle system though.

jaxword

FF1. Has lots of kings, minimal tech, lots of caves and nations and stuff. Or alternatively FFII, but that requires doing FFII.

Not bad, but too archaic to draw any audience. There's probably like 10 people who would want to play a FF1 nes hack. Also, the lack of dialogue means not a lot of change...

The SNES ones all have romhacking tools already. MAYBE I could pull off FF6 by removing all the maps/enemies with tech...

jaxword

VI COULD work if you remove the tech enemies like the Magitech guys. It does have a lot of potential, especially with the Empire as King's Landing. In the books, King's Landing is described as a poor, awful city that's not really fun to look at full of poverty. All that brown and grey fits KL perfectly.

The credits would also need to be removed so there's no marching mechs.

Though the beginning actually works REALLY well: 3 redshirts wandering to an icy hellhole only to find a monster...

ULTROS!

But V's system is made so that every job is possible to play with.

Do the 4 Job Fiesta.

I'd play it if it were playable on the Vita but alas. :(

jaxword

Oh, but they wear black not red so I just assumed you were describing what was going on in your hack, not the show.

Sprite and dialogue changes are probably the easiest part of a hack.

Map changes I'm not sure of.

Changing events...probably the hardest if not impossible.

Tizoc

Ya know I never ever really bothered to use many jobs to finish FF5, I just used the ones that had access to heavy damaging attacks and spells and that's it. Never used Berserkers nor Blue Mages far as I can recall, in any of my FF5 playthroughs.

For that matter, FF6 has one of the greatest intros in gaming: The music and 16-bit animation of the 3 walking through the snow is a work of art IMO.

Ultratech

Ya know I never ever really bothered to use many jobs to finish FF5, I just used the ones that had access to heavy damaging attacks and spells and that's it. Never used Berserkers nor Blue Mages far as I can recall, in any of my FF5 playthroughs.

Eh, Berserkers have just the one gimmick, so you're not missing out on much.

Blue Mages are awesome though, since they get access to a ton of Magic that's useful and shift the odds in your favor.

But you're missing out playing with some of the other classes. Chemists in particular can pretty much break the game. lol

Equip axes is fun if you put it on a knight or strength-enhanced freelancer because of all the special gimmicks axes have, but otherwise touching berserker is not worth it. Blue Mages can solo the game.

Natetan

For that matter, FF6 has one of the greatest intros in gaming: The music and 16-bit animation of the 3 walking through the snow is a work of art IMO.

Blue Mage is what made me love the game. Granted getting them in a four Job fiesta makes the game easy, but thats the point really: that a job you wouldn't expect to be so awesome.. They have so mny skills that are so helpful. Vampire and goblin punch from the back row are awesome in the beginning even frog song had its purpose. The lv spells are great as is white wind. And missle is great too as we'll as death claw. I could go on. A great class, and Blue! Is one of the best skills to put on a character.

That's what's great about the fiesta. It teaches you to exploit a games features instead of just steamrolling through like I always do. And every fiesta is a new role of the dice with different classes and synergies that force you to solve different bosses in different ways.

Right now I'm running Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage.

oCxgonq.png

I'm telling ya, one red mage is enough

I always loved their post class change sprites. They all look so awesome. Not the stupid chibi BS. Knight has wicked hair, ninja is a ninja, white wizard is doing something cool, black wizard has got awesome hair instead if that stupid cone shaped hat, and red wizard has an awesome hat too!

I wish those would have been the character models used in ffix :(

Tizoc

Hmm I'll give Blue Mages another go if I ever replay FF5 Advance, thanks for the info guys.

One thing tho...my idea of an FF5 HD remake would involve having it be 2D/2.5D with the ability to customize the clothes and look of each class within their fashion style...

Labadal

Hmm I'll give Blue Mages another go if I ever replay FF5 Advance, thanks for the info guys.

One thing tho...my idea of an FF5 HD remake would involve having it be 2D/2.5D with the ability to customize the clothes and look of each class within their fashion style...

If they do FFV/FFVI releases, I wouldn't mind seeing them in Bravely Default style graphics. (If they do them for 3DS.)

Tizoc

If they do FFV/FFVI releases, I wouldn't mind seeing them in Bravely Default style graphics. (If they do them for 3DS.)

Speaking of BD...I've never watched any footage of it, but heard it's good traditional jRPG.
If it's OK to ask, what similarities does it have with the FF games, and do you think S-E would throw in the 'Final Fantasy' in the title? Would it really help in boosting it's sales?

Top Bottom