• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Labadal

Speaking of BD...I've never watched any footage of it, but heard it's good traditional jRPG.
If it's OK to ask, what similarities does it have with the FF games, and do you think S-E would throw in the 'Final Fantasy' in the title? Would it really help in boosting it's sales?

I'm still waiting for the Western release, but from what I have seen, it could have been called Final Fantasy: Insert Subtitle and no one would have raised an eyebrow. It doesn't use ATB, battles are turn based. Uses jobs like in FFV, the main reason I'm so excited for this. Chrystals seem to be everywhere. Even the trailer music reminded me of Final Fantasy. I personally thin that they won't slap "Final Fantasy" on the box. It could become it's own series. FF series goes more in the action direction while BD stays a bit more old school.

Speaking of BD...I've never watched any footage of it, but heard it's good traditional jRPG.
If it's OK to ask, what similarities does it have with the FF games, and do you think S-E would throw in the 'Final Fantasy' in the title? Would it really help in boosting it's sales?

If you've ever played 4 Heroes of Light, the general idea behind that game was, "what if Armor Project developed a FF game?" and I assume that BD is an expansion of that idea

Been playing 14 and its been tempting me to do a replay of 8 for some reason.
Need to redownload it from the playstation store.

I haven't replayed it in a few years.

8 is fun, has one of my favorite soundtracks in the series (Has the best title song). Anytime I play, I like to use Squall, Selphie and Zell because they are the best in the game.

So, I finally got time to play FF VII PC edition and... um... did the PS1 controls suck that bad or is it just a PC problem? Cuz that's one of my biggest complaints about the game at the moment.

The PC edition is plagued with issues, but what in particular is bothering you?

It's awkward and frustrating. An example is during the scene where you throw barrels from the church attic to protect Aerith. I can see the beam that I need to run across, but Cloud decides "Hmm, you didn't approach it slowly enough" or "Hmm, you didn't tell me to turn right/left/up at the exact spot I'm programmed to" and I either pass by it or he doesn't move. There are so many spots where I'm just wrestling with the controls to get Cloud to navigate the landscape.

jaxword

It's awkward and frustrating. An example is during the scene where you throw barrels from the church attic to protect Aerith. I can see the beam that I need to run across, but Cloud decides "Hmm, you didn't approach it slowly enough" or "Hmm, you didn't tell me to turn right/left/up at the exact spot I'm programmed to" and I either pass by it or he doesn't move. There are so many spots where I'm just wrestling with the controls to get Cloud to navigate the landscape.

Are you using a gamepad or keyboard?

CorvoSol

My FF8 team was Squall, Quistis and Zell. Because Screw Rinoa.

Anyway I'm up to Ipsen's Castle and is it too much to ask that one dungeon on this disc not have a gimmick? I remember liking FF9 a lot the first time I played it but basically I've come to really, really dislike anything that is related to battles in this game. Erring on the side of fairness, though, I think that after slogging for two full years through Final Fantasy to get this far, I'm just burned out is all.

My FF8 team was Squall, Quistis and Zell. Because Screw Rinoa.

Anyway I'm up to Ipsen's Castle and is it too much to ask that one dungeon on this disc not have a gimmick? I remember liking FF9 a lot the first time I played it but basically I've come to really, really dislike anything that is related to battles in this game. Erring on the side of fairness, though, I think that after slogging for two full years through Final Fantasy to get this far, I'm just burned out is all.

Rinoa is the worst.

I remember Memoria didn't have any gimmicks to it...and also Terra...and a few others...

jaxword

So I'm gonna go to Japan and visit the new Square-Enix store in Tokyo next month.

http://tokyoexcess.blogspot.ca/2013/01/artnia-new-square-enix-cafe-and-store.html

5nRjG1o.jpg

EKem09h.jpg

rJLsKAL.jpg

If anyone wants anything special from there, I'll gladly work out a trade/deal. They have some nice plush Moogles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pls. buy the life size Sephiroth corpse there, thanks.

CorvoSol

Moogle plush sounds kinda interesting, but I dunno. The red poms look like the KH style and the older style seems to have a yellow pom? Well at least none of them are FFXIII-2's terrible, no good moogle with a face like a truck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What party do you guys usually use for the original FF? I usually run Warrior, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage but this time I might use two Warriors.

I personally think two fighters (OG bros call them "Fighters") is basically overpowered.

If I want to steamroll, I use Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, Black Mage. I think Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, Red Mage would probably be even more overpowered though.

Those things are so cute they have no arms.

That's . . . horrifying.

You know you want to buy it, don't lie!

If they really want to go for the creepy factor, they should have a figure of Jenova...I swear when I first saw that thing in FF7, I jumped out my seat...

injurai

Banned
XII moogles are best, but I'm also partial to III

really they are all good except the VII mogs and XIII moogles.

Kind of worried about XV getting KH/Type-0 moogles... that will be interesting...

jaxword

That's creepy as all hell.

Cool that they actually have a store though. Are a lot of their franchises covered to any degree or is it all FF?

I've been to the smaller, older one with the statues, it's basically a collector's dream. However, it's closed and they opened up a new one that is also some sort of cafe at S-E hq.

It has lots of DQ stuff:

1G8uKrgl.jpg

jPWa1F7l.jpg

G4FU5Aal.jpg

jrFHRzIl.jpg

And some nice FF statues:

cNVElVOl.jpg

EWtUKJhl.jpg

And Street Fighter and other game statues:

Note these are the OLD store statues. It's closed now, the new one I haven't been to yet because it just opened in Shinjuku.

Here's a pic of the new place:

Noi

The Most Powerful and Wise Entity in the Series.
Bow to your God.

That fucker made me fight Feral Chaos. Not cool.

That's creepy as all hell.

Cool that they actually have a store though. Are a lot of their franchises covered to any degree or is it all FF?

SE do Play Arts for damn near every series under the sun, so there's a bit of representation in that regard. Of course the brunt of it is mostly genral SE related.

Voror

I've been to the smaller, older one with the statues, it's basically a collector's dream. However, it's closed and they opened up a new one that is also some sort of cafe at S-E hq.

It has lots of DQ stuff:
And some nice FF statues:

And Street Fighter and other game statues:

Note these are the OLD store statues. It's closed now, the new one I haven't been to yet because it just opened in Shinjuku.

Here's a pic of the new place:

That's actually all pretty cool. I don't know if I'd ever buy the plushies mind, but some of those statues and such look rather nice. I think I'd go for one if it was one of the summons.

SE do Play Arts for damn near every series under the sun, so there's a bit of representation in that regard. Of course the brunt of it is mostly genral SE related.

Oh, didn't know that actually. I was wondering about the Street Fighter merchandise.

On a side note, is that FFIV Complete Collection on PSN worth it at all? Is the version of IV contained on it the DS version released a few years back?

I kind of wish they'd do some more of those kinds of remakes. One like that for V would be pretty cool as would VI. Though that might also look rather odd.

Noi

FF:CC is basically the original version with improved sprites and auto-battle. Great if you just want to re-experience the original game without changing things too much like the DS version did.

FFV iOS IS technically something like CC... only done completely the wrong away.

Voror

FF:CC is basically the original version with improved sprites and auto-battle. Great if you just want to re-experience the original game without changing things too much like the DS version did.

FFV iOS IS technically something like CC... only done completely the wrong away.

Thank you. Hmm, I might go ahead with it down the line, though I do already have the DS version. Is the addition of After Years worth it by any chance?

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that anyway. The reason they keep doing stuff for iOS is due to it being quite popular in Japan, correct?

Come to think of it, has SE done anything for the Vita? I know they've done a couple titles for the 3DS such as Bravely Default and Dragon Quest VII, but I can't think of anything else.

Noi

I'll let someone else field the After Years question cause I don't think I'm qualified. I somewhat like it well enough, but it's not the best of extra content.

SE's done nothing on the Vita, though there was an interview at some point saying that there was a Vita thing in development somewhere. If it's true, they probably just have one dude working on it on his own.

Voror

I'll let someone else field the After Years question cause I don't think I'm qualified. I somewhat like it well enough, but it's not the best of extra content.

SE's done nothing on the Vita, though there was an interview at some point saying that there was a Vita thing in development somewhere. If it's true, they probably just have one dude working on it on his own.

Ah, noted. I'd heard mixed things about it.

Well, I suppose it's not too much of a surprise given the system's lack of success everywhere, but something substantial from them actually could have been a killer app. It actually wouldn't surprise me if that was completely true. Well, at least X/X-2 will be available for it.

Top Bottom